A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Abbreviations in Impression Rules - HelpPlz

Posted: Sep 10, 2014

I know that according to AAMT we are not supposed to put abbreviations in the Impression/Diagnoses sections, but does that include ALL abbreviations?  Or just ones pertaining to diseases?  For instance, are we supposed to spell out MRI in the impression?  Or just diseases, like PUD or COPD?  

I'm a bit confused because I put "MRI" in the impression and QA left that as is, but I also put "PT" and they expanded it out to "physical therapy."

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

Abbreviations - AnonQC

[ In Reply To ..]
Labs and imaging are generally not expanded.

Thank you! :) - HelpPlz

[ In Reply To ..]
I really appreciate your reply!

More Info - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, AAMT (now AHDI) is just a guideline. First up are your company's rules and the client's rules. So, always check that first.

If you are working for a big MTSO or hospital, from there you may have Dr. So-And-So doesn't want it the way the MTSO or hospital wants it. The list goes on, so be prepared to have your head spinning at every turn.

Yes, my head has been spinning. - HelpPlz

[ In Reply To ..]
My QA also likes to have fun with the commas. They move them all over the place, add them in, take them out. Sometimes they want anti-inflammatory hyphenated and other times not. I am really confused.

Well - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
If there are no specific client or company or AHDI guidelines on something like that, just laugh and move on. That's what a head QA lady said to me in my very early days of transcribing.

I doubt you would get marked down on an audit for something like anti-inflammatory vs antiinflammatory, but when there are 2 vowels together, I personally like the hyphen.

A lot of hyphens are being done away with because the client has to pay the MTSO,and the MTSO has to pay the MT. That's my take on why they're eliminating everything they can. And hyphens can leave a crazy-looking report if they're overdone.

Similar Messages:

CT Angiogram Impression
Nov 14, 2009

Negative for pulmonary embolism or dissection.  Moderate coarse infiltrate left lower lobe. Scattered area of ground glass infiltrates and s/l normal focus of parasegments on the right.  Abnormal hilar lymph node s/l pipathy with asymmetric enlargement nodes s/l axial lateral left greater than right. ...

IMPRESSION Vs IMPRESSIONS
Dec 29, 2014

I've been an MT for over 10 years and have always just typed IMPRESSION, even when there are multiples, but I'm seeing other MT's type "IMPRESSIONS" and also "PLANS" when there are more than one, even when the doctor is only dictating IMPRESSION (though we would change DIAGNOSIS to SES if more than one but not dictated). I searched the archives and found one mention of this before, but there wasn't much conclusion on the matter. So what say ye?  ...

Expanding In Impression/assessment
Aug 30, 2010

I was wondering...we are told to expand abbreviations in assessment and impression paragraphs, but what if they say the abbreviation 4 times within that paragraph? This instance is PSA. Thanks... ...

Warning: Don't Expand BPH In The Diagnosis/impression, Leave As Is.
Mar 21, 2013

I got a style error minor deduction for this, because it could also refer to "benign prostatic hyperplasia."  I was actually aware of this terminology controversy in the medical community in terms of what the actual meaning is, but I've never once had "benign prostatic hyperplasia" dictated in over 18 years of MT, regardless (has anyone else?). However, I should somehow intuit that Nuance wants it done this way (though I've been expanding it for over 2 years now with never a corre ...

Gallbladder Removal...Impression Is "questionalbe Evolving S/l PYRANASE Vs Phlebitis R/O
Apr 14, 2012

Gallbladder was removed, and the impression was "questionable evolving *PYRANASE* versus phelbitis"...anyone know? I have no clue! :( ...

Lab Abbreviations
Jul 13, 2010

ELISA, ESR, FiO2, PKU Other than in diagnoses and impressions, should any of these abbreviations be expanded? Thank you. ...

Need Help With Two Abbreviations.
Nov 13, 2010

I am doing two reports of tissue examination and at the end of the Gross description, on one report he says RPE three blocks and on the other report he says ET two blocks. I am trying to figure out what the RPE and the ET means. Thanks for your help. ...

RX Abbreviations
May 19, 2015

Is it appropriate to use BID, PRN, etc., instead of b.i.d. and p.r.n.? ...

Question Regarding Abbreviations....
Jan 10, 2010

I know that we are to expand abbreviations within diagnoses sections. However, what about things like this:  Pulmonary embolism.  The patient was started on IV heparin.  Do we expand the "IV" also?  Thanks. ...

Abbreviations In Diagnosis
Jan 25, 2010

When did this become okay?  I got called on my last QA that spelling out CVA or MI in the diagnosis is a no-no.  ...

Dangerous Abbreviations
Jul 27, 2010

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a list of the "dangerous abbreviations" in transcription.  I was at a doctor's office one day and saw a sign on their wall that said something about dangerous abbreviations and something about things that transcriptionists should not type...but I left thinking that it would be something easy to find but have found no information on that at all.  Thanks so much for your help! ...

Dangerous Abbreviations.......
Aug 27, 2010

I don't use dangerous abbreviations and I never abbreviate in the diagnosis and QA has been changing my reports to abbreviations in the diagnosis and changing words and adding the dangerous abbreviations. Does any else do this, not abbreviate etc? ...

Cardiology Abbreviations...
Nov 16, 2010

I'm having trouble with a few cardiology abbreviations that this dr. is throwing out.  "Card (which I'm assuming she's abbreviating for cardiology) - AVR, conduction disorder - s/l RABBB or maybe just RBBB - followed by cardiology."   ...

Abbreviations In AAMT BOS
Nov 23, 2010

HELP PLEASE!  In typing abbreviations on my account specs, it says following AAMT BOS, but the problem I am having is letters.  They are using abbreviations that I should be expanded as it is a letter, (ex. MCP).  I have read to expand these, but for the life of me I cannot find it in AAMT BOS... Any help appreciated. Thanks ...

Ortho Abbreviations
Jul 12, 2011

The patient is in for preoperative evaluation for s/l SAD DDCE?  I know that SAD means shoulder arthroscopic debridement but can't find what DDCE might mean.  That is the only sentence, so I have no other context to refer to.  Thx. ...

BOS And Dangerous Abbreviations
Jan 30, 2012

Do the BOS and dangerous abbreviation rules apply to office dictation that is outside the hospital setting (i.e.  private practice offices).  Thanks. ...

Cardiology Abbreviations
Mar 30, 2012

I'm doing a cardiology report.  Can anyone tell me what CLVH and IVF mean? ...

Abbreviations For Immunizations-sm
Apr 13, 2012

Is it okay to transcribe abbreviations for immunizations?  Or should they be spelled out?  Thank you. ...

Hypen Rules
Oct 31, 2010

Is not-too-distant future hyphenated?  Thanks ...

Rules Regarding Copies
Oct 03, 2011

I had always thought that the dictator received an automatic copy but in checking the MQ rules/standards, I don't see this.   Does anyone know for sure?  Should we copy the dictator if requested?  ...

MT Rules Changes Constantly
Aug 14, 2012

Does anybody else get emails of updated account specs or just in general about how this is now changing in the MT world and things such as hyphens are being phased out, among other changes to make the document "more readable".  I wonder...all these changes to how we are supposed to do our jobs, yet the only changes to what we are paid to do our job is a negative with pays dropping instead of going up.  I say it here and I can say it so many times, if somebody can sit in an office and c ...

HIPAA Rules
Oct 08, 2013

When a consultant's office calls the referred patient, is that office allowed to say the name of their office?  Ex:  Got a call from a GI office for my husband.  The woman gave her first name and said she needed his medical hx before she could schedule an appointment.  I asked what office she was from, and she said she couldn't say because of HIPAA but that it was a referral from his PCP.  Is it true that because of HIPAA we can't even know who's ...

New Change In Rules, Again
Dec 23, 2013

used to be when we ran out of work we could chose to make up time or take PTO, this was even at Thanksgiving.  Now we get the email that after waiting 6 mins some of you are taking PTO, but now we can't do this.  Now we are supposed to flex.  So just because the "lead" lets toooooo many people off I'm supposed to just keep checking and checking, that's great, i'll just do that after cooking our dinner and watching the kids open gifts and if I get work it'l ...

Number Rules
Mar 06, 2014

I don't know what the AAMT book of style does with regards to typing out numbers such as in this sentence:  I provided this patient and her 2 daughters with education regarding her diagnosis and treatment options.  Would you use numerals for "2" daughters in this case or would you type out "two"??? ...

So Many Rules, So Little Time
Aug 31, 2014

When I think about all the things we have to do, we really are more like administrative assistants than transcriptionists.  We have so much to do.  Make sure you put DOS, if given.  Make sure you list, or don't like as per client specs, unless dictator requests ??  Go by client profile or DSQ standard.  Which one is it this day?  Okay,  NOW okay to use q.h.s., so if put q.h.s. QA marks over it and still puts bedtime.  Okay to use cc  instead of m ...

Abbreviations In INDICATIONS SECTION
Nov 16, 2009

Hello.  I was just wondering, are abbreviations allowed in the INDICATIONS section of a surgical report?  Thank you!   ...

Two OB/GYN Terms (abbreviations) Unfamiliar With
Oct 10, 2010

Haven't done enough of these complicated OB reports I guess.  Doc says patient had what sounds like "COREO" (in which she lost the baby) and something that sounds like "TOCOS" in relation to some cervical irritability.  Can't find anything to verify either.  Any suggestions?   ...

Hyphen In Postop? (BOS Says Abbreviations)
Nov 29, 2010

Should we put a hyphen in preop and/or postop? My spellchecker says it is OK without, but it is hard to read w/o one IMO. BOS says to use a hyphen when joining a prefix to an abbreviation, so would this count as an abbreviation in this case? Or is it more like a shortened form of the word? ...

Abbreviations In Asssessment/plan
Nov 23, 2011

Hi there, I am confused a little on abbreviations in assessment and plan. I am transcribing a H&P and there are a few abbrev. in the assess/plan. Should i expand or leave them? For instance: CPK, LDL, PSA screening, EKG, GXT.... HELP! ...

Expanding Abbreviations In Headings
Sep 19, 2012

Good morning everyone. I'm a bit confused about headings: If "GYN" is dictated in a heading, do you expand it to "GYNECOLOGIC"? I remember from my training that you do; however, I've seen reports that show it as not expanded. D ...