A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

why cant they dictate someplace quiet? - UGH

Posted: Jun 01, 2010

There are 3 different very loud noises going off in the background and it has given me an instant migraine!

ding-ding-ding-ding-ding

duuuuuhhh duuh... duuuuuuhhh duuh...

bong....   bong....   bong....

What is wrong with people?  How can this doctor sit there himself without screaming? This is seriously how people can just flip right off the deep end.

Had one this weekend! - Deep end is right!

[ In Reply To ..]
Large dog barking nonstop in the background, doors opening and shutting loudly, and the sound of the TV blaring in the background. Also, the dictator's voice was very..."different" than when she dictates in-house (perhaps a little imbibing on her own time but I'm just guessing).

And they honestly think we have some type of bionic ear that allows us to filter out all of their background noise, or are they really just that inconsiderate that as long as THEIR job is done, our inability to create a coherent report for them is of no concern?

Just really inconsiderate all the way around. I had to send 2 of this dictator's jobs to QA just in case they could pick up more actual dictation through the background than I could. Thankfully, we aren't penalized where I work for utilizing QA for things like this, but just a waste of resources all the way around.

going postal - UGH

[ In Reply To ..]
Now a flipping phone is ringing. This is the longest report I have ever typed.

One more sound happens and I swear, I am going to use my monitor as a punching bag and then call support and tell them that my monitor just went out!

ready to strangle the doc - weekendwarrior

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh my, I had one this weekend that obviously had a cold or allergies and kept sniffing throughout the report. I have never abandoned a report nor claimed "power failure" but this doc was on my last nerve. Seriously, at this huge hospital there was not one Kleenex to be found? Oh I could hear the report all right, EXCEPT WHEN HE WAS SNIFFING. The report went straight to the client full of blanks. I was so tempted to write something nasty in the QA box, but I didn't and thought I would let their hospital staff Figure The Rest :)

How about the ones who think ASR - Can interpret a continual YAWN???

[ In Reply To ..]
They just yawn and yawn and talk through it. Heck, I cannot even understand my own husband sitting 2 feet away from me when he's trying to yawn AND talk at the same time.

I understand yawning is pretty much an involuntary bodily function, but STOPPING SPEAKING just makes sense while do so, right?

Wrong...These people think we can hear and muddle our way through any bodily noises they choose to subject us to.

Sounds like doc should be called on a HIPPA violation then... - zig

[ In Reply To ..]
We're supposed to be so careful and keep everything is hush-hush, make sure we use headphones so nobody can hear the dictation, etc., yet they're dictating from who knows where??? Dogs barking, doors slamming... they're obviously at home. I had a report once and that sounded like the doc was dictating from his kid's soccer game? Is that not a HIPPA violation? Yet we take the crap for it.

I cried yesterday when everybody got a PAID - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
holiday and I didn't. We get so little PTO and I was trying to save it for a vacation. I rarely complain about my job because my government-employed husband is clueless and just gets mad at me. He thinks I have it so "good" because I don't have to leave the house or dress for work. Nobody except other MQ employees can begin to understand. Am going to the doctor tomorrow. I am scared to death. I walk 3 miles a day, haven't eaten anything tasty in 3-1/2 years, but my blood sugar is still rising, and I have gained 10 pounds. But it will ALL be MY fault. Just something else I have failed at. Sorry, done whining now.

I didnt get a paid holiday - I got NJA

[ In Reply To ..]
I will not use my PTO... It will just go unpaid if I cannot make up the hours.

Maybe I will file for partial unemployment! What they are doing to us is unfair.

Same here. Would love to actually take a - NW MT

[ In Reply To ..]
vacation but who can afford it between the lousy wages and the fact that we, or at least I never have any real PTO accumulated because it is always being used for NJA days. I lost 7.25 hours on Saturday, 8 hours yesterday both due to NJA and so far am getting NJA this morning. Totally unfair. Is there a union for American MT's?

Whine away. Totally get it here, and totally - agree. Sometimes

[ In Reply To ..]
we just need to vent.

vent - i agree with jasmine

[ In Reply To ..]
Where does that whining get you? Just keeps you wallowing in your misery. That saying "misery loves company" comes to mind. Try to find some good in your situation, you'll feel better. I think Jasmine's post was pretty right on. I'd love to make a change for the better instead of crying and doing nothing. Time for a change here!
Sure, that works. And sometimes people just - need to vent.
[ In Reply To ..]
No shame in that.
re: need to vent - no shame
[ In Reply To ..]
True enough. It is shameful though when a person doesn't make a whole-hearted effort to see some good in their situation. I like the post above. I like that Jasmine is so comfortable in her skin that she has created a positive environment for herself. I think I'll try to also.

I come here to whine a lot too, but I rarely get a reply that inspires. Usually everyone else jumps on my crying wagon with me. I guess that is what I liked about her reply.

Whine away - Oh Come On!

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. We are all each other has, at least in the sense that we can understand how we are feeling.

Please just allow us to vent.

Thank you for the pep talk but please do not make us feel as though we are the problem.

It is easy to say "this and that" when you make your lines, get a decent check, pay bills, etc.

But when you have 2 young children, house note, car note, maybe have a little food in the house, lights, etc., and you get no pay or little pay...oh yea, it bothers you.

This economy is spiraling downward. I do not know who Pres. Obama is looking at when he says the economy is on the upswing but I would love for him to visit us, we have restaurants closing right and left, there are 9 houses in my 2-block neighborhood now for sale (were occupied a couple of months ago), and my husband's hours get cut.

So if I can meet with fellow MT's and fellow MQ MT's at that and just vent, please do not deny me. For some of us, we are all we have!

Diabetes - TabbyG

[ In Reply To ..]
It will not be your fault. I know they say lose weight, eat right, all that, but diabetes is a disease. It's your pancreas that's not functioning right.

Are you even on medication? You know there's lots of meds and even going to insulin. There is no shame in that.

Don't be scared of your doctor, diabetes, or treatment. If the doctor acts like this is something that YOU did, you need another doctor.

I have steroid-induced diabetes at the moment - TOTALLY sucks

[ In Reply To ..]
My entire system is out of whack, blood sugars out of control on dex running 350-660 at any given time, without rhyme or reason. The benefits of the dex were outstanding at first, but now all the "bad" side effects are kicking in and I'm at the mercy of my own body...swollen feet, blurry vision, dizzy, tingling fingertips. It's just a nightmare.

If you're going through something similar, you've sure got MY sympathy, lol! I can't wait for this rollercoaster of side effects to end.
Surgically induced, sm - TabbyG
[ In Reply To ..]
I had/still have neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer. I had most of my pancreas and part of my liver resected. Believe me, I know all about out of control with no rhyme or reason. I can drink water and it will go up! Take a walk, it goes up. It's nuts. Insulin is the only thing really helping. Gaining weight though. How about that..On chemo but gaining weight. LOL.

Never had steroids, though.

Can you get sliding scale coverage? Maybe 24-hour longacting? Are you seeing an endocrinologist? I have not because my PCP is pretty good at it, but not all of them really understand.
Thanks for your concern, I have an Endo appt next month - But til then I am spinning in the wind
[ In Reply To ..]
And you're right! Drinking water or green tea (which supposedly LOWERS it) makes it jack up to 550 from 350, I'm afraid to eat, I'm afraid to NOT eat. I have zero diabetes experience whatsoever and my husband has been researching it on the internet but the information is so limited it's not really helpful.

We've noticed oddly that it almost requires an Atkins-type diet to keep it under 300 (all meat and cheese and no carbs and sometimes even no veggies). Conversely, sometimes I can eat light carbs (pita bread or whole wheat tortilla or bun) at lunch and it DOESN'T go up. However, if I try ANY carbs at dinnertime, it's through the roof.

They want me to stay on this steroid until my surgery in mid-July and I'm doing my best with it but it's SO confusing and I feel like my body is being ravaged against my will. At this point, I'm sure when I finally see the Endocrinologist, they'll want to put me on insulin for some semblance of control but until then it's 2-1/2 more weeks of spinning in the wind.

I guess I should be giving thanks for the extra energy the dexamethasone gives me...except now I have the tingling in my fingers and feet which makes keep me grounded and holding my balance even trickier.

Ok, I'll stop whining now...I try not to vent too much and just roll with everything because I know it will all be better/over soon and if I focus more on the work issues it keeps my mind off of this circus in which my body currently inhabits, lol!

Thanks again for your concern, and best wishes to you too! ~hugs~
You know, - TabbyG
[ In Reply To ..]
I would bet a good deal of your "dealing with work" trouble and "attitude" is simply the high sugar. That can wreak total havoc on your entire self, physical and mental. I get confused, can't see right, time gets away from me, etc.

I know there's really not a lot of helpful diabetes information out there, just the standard watch your diet garbage. Real-world information just doesn't get printed!

Really though, at 550, you should consider going to the ER. That is just way too high. People can go comatose at that level. The ER docs will hook you up with someone and get you an insulin prescription, I bet. That is a PITA, but for you it could just be temporary. I really would not mess around with 500s, though.

For now, as little carbs as possible will be best. If you must have carbs, be sure to eat some serious protein and/or fat with it. Like Alfredo instead of tomato on the whole grain pasta, or lots of cheese and maybe pepperoni with the macaroni. That keeps the glucose from spiking too fast, but it probably will still rise.

I am worried about you now, LOL. I would say get to the ER next time you see 500 or over.

Feel free to email me if you want.

I now have high blood pressure. Doc says it is my job. - So now what?

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 5'2" and weighed 123 pounds before the high blood pressure. Since taking high blood pressure pills for the last 5 months, I have gained 28 pounds. I exercise by lifting weights, low impact aerobics and walk 10 miles a week. I eat a very healthy diet, chicken, fish, vegetables and fruit and some grain and healthy oils. My cholesterol is excellent and so is my blood work. Just this dang high blood pressure. Doc says I am stressed out because MQ.
doubt it - what they probably said
[ In Reply To ..]
What your doc more than likely said is that your job is a CONTRIBUTING factor, not "the cause", of your high blood pressure. P-L-E-A-S-E...

Next you're gonna tell us that the doc has given you a prescription to quit your job too? I have NEVER typed up a report with the diagnosis of high blood pressure SECONDARY TO JOB!
so what - Shessy
[ In Reply To ..]
LOL! I've never seen that in a diagnosis either! (I do understand what the poster was getting at tho!)
re:doubt it - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
hey! I want a prescription to quit my job!!!!

Sorry I meant all the people who AREN'T MT's who - got a paid holiday!

[ In Reply To ..]

No paid holiday here - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They did their old OT is open trick over the weekend and it totally wiped out Monday's work. NJA all day long. I tried working from 5-5 and got a whole 6 reports. WOW - DON'T CHA JUST LUV THIS COMPANY!!!

Similar Messages:

Sure Is Quiet Around Here!
Jun 20, 2011

Where is everybody???  HEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? ...

Quiet!?#
Feb 26, 2011

Has anyone else noticed that the bosses are uncharacteristically quiet since about Wednesday?  Am I being paranoid or what.  It is very unusual not to hear something....anything....from the higher ups.  I work in the southeast region.  Let me know if it's just me.  I guess no news is good news? ...

Sure Is Quiet
Sep 05, 2014

Maybe everyone is taking a long weekend? ...

Why So Quiet?
May 01, 2015

I am not asking for constant updates on what's going on with EVERYTHING with this stupid company, I'm not asking for the complete low-down on what how you are planning on screwing us next, but this disappearing for days, no emails, nothing telling me about OT or backlog, no return of emails or phone calls or even a demeaning reprimand for something I did or did not do, just something that says "I'm here working harder than you" (yeh right).  Something that says I'm in me ...

Quiet Keyboard
Jan 11, 2010

Hi all, Hoping this is on the "write" board. I'm looking for a keyboard for my Dell desktop that's quieter...like a laptop keyboard is. Any suggestions of model, where I can look, etc.? Personal experience with one is preferred... Thanks!! J ...

Anyone Else Notice How Quiet It's Been Lately? Sm
Oct 17, 2014

Usually there are a couple emails - and that stupid "joke of the day" daily, but for the past several weeks - nothing. Pretty quiet which makes me wonder what is really going on with this place. I also like how they'll let us know about the new pay scale based on that quality 2.0 on 12/25. Merry Christmas MLS !! We're screwed you over even more on your pay !!! ...

Why Is It That This Board Gets Really Busy And Then Everybody Is Quiet
Feb 15, 2012

Is everyone just too busy to post? ...

Why Don't These Docs Go To A Quiet Space?
Jul 23, 2013

It would not be a bid deal for MModal to TELL these doctors how to dictate..I am sure they are clueless as to what comes over the phone lines. A bunch of cackling hens in the background of an already mumbling dictator is just ridiculous. Why do they not just tell them that phones pick up what is in the background? And while your at it, teach them how to end a dictation, cause the dialtones are killing my ears!!! ...

TSM Is Awfully Quiet Recently. Me Thinks They
Sep 19, 2013

are up to something.  I sense plotting and planning going on at corporate.  ...

Does Anyone Know Of A Good Quiet Keyboard?
Dec 11, 2014

The keys on the keyboard I use now are very "clicky" and I'd like to get one with a soft quiet touch.  Any ideas?  Thank you. ...

Eerily Quiet Down At The POD Corral
Apr 22, 2015

crickets.... ...

"Quiet' Ergonomic Keyboard
Mar 18, 2010

I am currently using a Microsoft Natural 7000 keyboard.  The space bar is getting more and more difficult to press (sticking), so I am looking to purchase a new one.  I would prefer something where the keys type a little quieter and also one that is a lighter color (not black).  Does anyone have any recommendations that are not extremely high priced?  Thanks! ...

Anyone Notice How EXTREMELY Quiet It Is In The North (RW/JR)
Sep 24, 2014

more than usual ...

How Do You Find A Quiet Space To Work When You've Run Out Of Room?!?!?!
Feb 05, 2010

I recently moved into a small two bedroom house.  It's an older house with a very creepy basement that is not finished, is damp, and just gross.  Until I can afford to convert the garage or re-do the basement, my teenaged son has one bedroom and my 8yo daughter and I share the the master BR.  Meanwhile my husband sleeps in the LR on the couch (our relationship is basically that of friends now who can't afford divorce).  Anyway, my desk currently is in the LR.  ...

Taking A Survey To Find A Quiet Air Conditioner.
Jun 08, 2011

Any opinions?  Need a window type to cool 250 square feet.  One I have is very old and loud.  Can't hear the docs over it.  Have heard Friedrich makes some quiet ones, but pricey.  Thanks in advance.  ...

How Will YOU Dictate?
Feb 03, 2010

I see a lot of MTs returning to school and often in the medical profession.  Since the industry seems hell-bent on having all the transcription done in India, will that influence how you nurses and psychologist dictate when it is your turn to dictate, or will you be so relieved to be through with this tragedy that you won't even think about it?  Just wondering.  ...

New # For DICTATE
Nov 04, 2010

Just tried calling DICTATE (1-800-342-8283) to report outage and got message that the number has been changed, or no longer working...  Used it yesterday, but who knows any more....  Anyone have another number for DICTATE?  At least with these posts they can't tell me that i am the only one...  Getting so tired of hearing that.  ...

Cc Or ML, If They Dictate Cc....
Jan 20, 2011

I was always told to change it to mL.  ????? ...

I Dictate
Nov 17, 2014

Has anyone worked with or know anything about IDictate? Possibly losing current position so I am looking for something just in case. ...

I Just Love It When They Dictate...
Mar 27, 2010

...in the middle of an airport runway.  At least it sounds like that.  It's especially so lovely with ASR, picking up as it does every random conversation in the area. ...

Where Do Doctors Dictate?
Oct 13, 2011

Ok, I'm curious, but can doctos do their dictations anywhere? A lot of times, I hear a bunch of doctors in like some sort of dictation room. You can hear other doctors doing dications. I just picture a bunch of people in white coats sitting at a desk talking into a phone. lol. Other times it sounds like they're in an emergency room while an emergency is going on. People are asking for things, things are clanging around. Sometimes it sounds like they're in their own home. Had an ...

Is It Just Me Or Is This The New Way To Dictate Dates?
May 16, 2013

More and more frequently, I am getting dictators who say, "the patient underwent the procedure IN 04/11/12" or "the patient underwent the procedure ON April 2012."  It's just a little thing that's kind of annoying because you have to change the IN to ON and vice versa, but it's happening so often, I'm wondering if that's now an acceptable way to say it and I'm just not in the know.  Anyone else get this? ...

Learning To Dictate The RIGHT WAY?
Jun 04, 2013

I am an experienced nurse practitioner with seven years of experience. Now that I am working in an acute care environment, I am required to dictact all of my consultations. I have a template from which I am dictating. But from the results of my transcriptions, I could use some help from medical transcriptionists on how to dictate the RIGHT WAY. Of course, I was never taught how to dictate. I was taught how to use the telephone to dictate, but I was never taught the right way to dictate clearly ...

Did You Ever Stop To Think How Much Better You Could Dictate
Dec 15, 2013

than some of these idiots who you have to muddle through on day after day after day ad nauseum?  I am transcribing this dictator tonight who has had one patient with "infantigo" and on her "review of symptoms" she dictates "Eyes" as a subheading by itself then does HEENT later on in the review. I would be so organized if I were doing this, I would have a standard sheet for every patient with ROS and PE, then just fill in the blanks and note any abnormalties.  It would be so easy for us ...

Dictate Express - Come One, Come All, To The
Apr 10, 2014

greatest job of them all - You can be an MT here for a whopping........WAIT FOR IT........0.05 CPL!!!!!!!  Plus you can pay your own taxes and never get a paid vacation!!!  Just when you think you've seen it all.  Let's not all trample each other lining up to apply.  Please - can we all realize we're better than this and deserve better than this and not apply to these places that low ball us like this?!!??!  I think these companies will keep just seeing ho ...

If The Dictator Does Not Dictate 99.7%
Apr 15, 2014

then it is insane to expect to transcribe 99.7%.  That's all. ...

Dictate Express
Apr 26, 2014

Has anyone been hired by or worked for Dictate Express in Solana Beach, California?  I checked with BBB and they have no record of them.  Got email I was hired.  I have been scammed once this month and do not need another.  Please help???? Signed numbtypist ...

To Doctors, PAs, Any Who Dictate: When You Are
May 14, 2014

dictating a lengthy report and mentioned a dozen different doctors, do not say at the end, please cc all above because I will NOT do this.  I will not take another half hour to read your report and cc all noted physicians.  You get paid the big bucks.  Use your time, not mine that is paid by pennies!!!! ...

Maybe If You Didnt Eat And Dictate
Oct 14, 2014

#1 I would be able to understand you. And BTW, chewing like a cow is not attractive at all. And #2, you wouldn't choke on your food. And since you did choke through a word or 2, it would be nice if you re-dictated that because I have no idea what cough, cough, cough is supposed to be. I HATE this dictator, why does the company not tell her how to talk, I'm done complaining since it gets me nowhere.. ...

Please Tell These Doctors How To Dictate
Feb 01, 2015

So tired of going in an out of the ADT screen, choosing just patient because they don't dictate a day until part way through the dictation, or the referring physician. I honestly think, if someone told them it would make our lives easier they would comply..And I know this is dreaming, but dictate the CCs at the beginning of the report so it is easier to find the names and spell them correctly when you dictate them throughout the report. And by all means at the end don't say please cc ...