A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Will these lawyers help us? Waiting for a response. - We have rights for our jobs.

Posted: Aug 02, 2010

http://www.warnlawyers.com/?gclid=CIDywJmCkKMCFQM7agodX3o0pQ

One law recognizes the financial shock and indignity of unexpected job loss. The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act provides up to 60 days of pay and benefits to those unlawfully laid off without advance written notice. We can assist you to determine if your WARN rights, and those of your colleagues, were violated under federal and state WARN laws.

Well we sure have been violated. - Let me count the ways.

[ In Reply To ..]
I just don't have enough fingers and toes to count the violations.

Good! Lawyers based in New York - I never heard of WARN

[ In Reply To ..]
I was under the impression that we had no rights. I just contacted them and am awaiting a response. Maybe if we flood their e-mail inbox with our requests, our voice could be heard.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! - We have rights for our jobs.

[ In Reply To ..]
You have given me hope!

Thanks for calling in. I WHICH AND PRAY TO GOD EVERY MT WHO READS ARTICLE WILL CALL. What have you got to lose?

Like you said, hope we flood their phones and then maybe they can help us!

No, thank YOU - for giving ME hope

[ In Reply To ..]
Their website says these lawyers help Americans. Americans! Imagine that. After e-mailing them, it feels like some weight has been lifted off me only by having hope that someone out there might understand our feelings of betrayal by MQ.

Here are some highlights of the WARN act. - We have rights for our jobs.

[ In Reply To ..]
Aggressive WARN Act Advocates on Your Side

WARN applies in all states. States that have their own WARN Acts may provide additional money, particularly New Jersey. Many employers either ignore the federal or state statute or employ creative ways to get around it.

Company will conduct an in-depth analysis of your claim, the strength of the case, and assess if there were any other employees involved. A seasoned attorney's help is vital. There is no charge for a telephone consultation, and, if your case goes forward, legal fees will not be assessed unless you prevail.

To put it simply, keep your pay stubs and contact us.

Health Benefits You Are Entitled To Under the WARN Act

In addition to salary, your now-former employer must compensate you for any terminated health insurance coverage, including reimbursement for medical expenses as well. That includes everything from prescription drugs to medical procedures. Sudden illness or injury following a layoff can put you in an unnecessary financial squeeze.

Have you seen some of their cases? - They list big companies they have handled.

[ In Reply To ..]
Hope this works!

Spheris MT's! This could even help you! - Since Spheris filed bankruptcy.

[ In Reply To ..]
Hope this helps you!

Open up article and go to bankruptcy section.

WARN applies to plant closings - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
This applies to plant closings and mass layoffs, meaning a very substantial portion of the work force. See the Dept of Labor web site for an explanation:
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/layoffs.htm.

Don't believe this would apply to the MQ situation. Generally speaking, employers are not required to give notice of termination to employees.

here's your problem - we are not being laid off

[ In Reply To ..]
so the loophole MQ found is don't lay us off! Fire us. Force us to quit. Take away jobs until there is nothing left and we just sit there.

They are not laying us off, therefore we have no right to 60 days of pay and benefits.

My own experience with the WARN act - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
took place 20+ years ago in the airline industry. I worked for one of the major carriers which eventually shut down. The WARN act was in effect then, and my airline complied with it by giving employees written notice of a POSSIBLE shutdown in 60 days. I think, since the airline was on shaky financial
footing for so long, we may have even received more than one such notice. That's all they had to do to comply.

I also see where not long ago US Air gave their pilots a 60-day notice of their Boston domicile closing, a situation also covered by this law even though the company was not shutting down and no layoffs were contemplated, but relocation might be required.

I don't want to dash anyone's hopes here, maybe the interpretation of the law has become broader in the interim, but I seriously doubt this law applies to us. MQ is not shutting down, and its employees laid off this far are eligible for job retraining under TAA. It certainly cannot hurt to inquire, but I hope no one is devastated if this law firm says they can't help.

Isn't what MQ doing worse? - WARN

[ In Reply To ..]
Here MQ is a thriving company making money right and left (pilvering from the pockets of the MTs). No, they may not be laying us off because they are floundering, but isn't firing us on trumped-up charges worse? Aren't they using us in very deceptive ways to further their own gains? In that sense we should have rights, and I'm hoping these or other lawyers see it that way.

Sure it's worse. It just isn't covered by WARN. "Constructive discharge" is - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
the term I think is more applicable here, when an employee is forced to quit because the employer has made working conditions
intolerable. Issues can include discrimination, harassment, reduction in pay, benefits, or workload for reasons that are not tied to job performance. Google "constructive discharge" and you will get more details.

If the WARN law firm referred to above also deals with this, also, maybe the laid-off MQ employees have a case. I hope whoever is making that contact will post their findings here.

Rights under the law - Former HR director

[ In Reply To ..]
Most employees in this country, unless under a union contract, are considered "at will" employees. That means your employer can let you go at any time, for any reason for no reason, as long as it is not specifically because of your race, religion, sex, age, or other classes protected under the law. No notice is required. No severance pay is required. Your rights as a terminated or laid off employee are extremely limited, unless you can claim and prove discrimination as above.

That being said, my advice is that if you feel you are being treated unfairly, look for a better company. Please don't give me that old refrain that they're all bad, as that just isn't true. Some are, some aren't. Leaving MT is also an option and may be a very good one at this point.

Then don't ask why - the world is

[ In Reply To ..]
going to He!! in a hand basket. How can an employer get away with repeated infractions of our basic moral code as human beings, AND being financially rewarded for it. When we allow it, don't fight it and just walk away to just chalk it up, we're feeding that very system and have ourselves to blame.
By staying, you empower them. - Former HR director
[ In Reply To ..]
There's nothing you can legally do. You can whine and moan all you want, but you are enabling this kind of behavior by staying. It's like an abusive marital situation. If you're being abused, you should leave. When too many good employees leave a company, it hurts the company. If MQ's master plan is to send all their work to India anyway, then they won't care, but staying will only bring you more misery while easing their transition. I'm sorry to say this, but if you stay and let yourself be abused, you have only yourself to blame.
Is this MQ goal? Trying everything to get us - to quit? Why hire newbies?
[ In Reply To ..]
Strange company.
'fraid not. - I stand my ground.
[ In Reply To ..]
The act of leaving would be positive reinforcement for a very negative behavior. As you already know, all MTSOs out there are following suit to MQ's deeds. There will always be an unfortunate newbie who thinks it won't happen to them. I've tried many other companies to only suffer loss of benefits, lack of salary which I can not afford at this time. The only way to get rid of me is to fire me, the ramifications of which MQ would pay (unemployment). Leaving voluntarily would leave them smelling like roses, which is the whole intention here. Their thoughtless changes should not be without consequences. We are feeling, caring human beings, not machines. I believe in appropriate feedback and am one of the fighters.
Whatever. - Former HR director
[ In Reply To ..]
If it makes you feel good, by all means stay. I switched from Spheris to a smaller company and have been very happy there for two years. Best thing I could have done. Better pay, flexible hours, plenty of work, great account, nice people. But if you're happy giving your life blood to MQ, go ahead. I think it's called being a martyr.

Constructive discharge? - See Message

[ In Reply To ..]
To rightfully claim constructive discharge, you'll likely have to prove all factors listed below.

Your employer recently changed a working condition that led directly to your resignation and thus, your constructive discharge.
The change and your resignation occurred close enough in time, to have established a "cause and effect" relationship.
The change was so extraordinary and intolerable, that it would have caused any reasonable employee to quit under the same circumstances.
Your employer intentionally created or allowed the change, even though it was predictable that it would compel any reasonable employee to quit (regardless of whether or not your employer specifically tried to force you to quit).
A humiliating demotion, punitive transfer or hostility toward you are among the types of changes that might entitle you to claim constructive discharge after you resign. For example, if you resign because of intolerable discrimination or sexual harassment, or because your employer transferred or demoted you to an undesirable position in retaliation for reporting a wrongdoing, your immediate, resulting resignation might constitute constructive discharge.

Typically, your employer must have recently changed something significant that led to your resignation. Something that's always bugged you and finally led to your decision to quit likely doesn't constitute constructive discharge, because it apparently wasn't extraordinary and intolerable enough to compel you to quit right away. Quitting for petty stuff, such as because your employer moved your office to a cubicle farther away from the break room, is not likely to constitute constructive discharge either. The same goes if your employer made a change for verifiable business reasons and you quit simply because you didn't like the change.

Simply put, if most reasonable employees would have tolerated the change, then your resignation is not likely to be constructive discharge. But if most reasonable employees would quit because the change made working conditions so intolerable that they had no choice, then your resignation might very well be constructive discharge.

Next Page > Constructive Discharge Relief

Similar Messages:

Two Great Interviews With Accentus STARTeam. Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...
May 10, 2012

I applied, tested for and passed for the Accentus STARTeam position.  I received a call from HR for the first interview and went on to a second interview with who would be my transcrition manager within hours of the first interview.  I was on the phone with her for over an hour.  She was very excited about my experience and told me I would be a great fit.  It was very clear that she thought I would be a valuable addition to her team and the interview went very, very well. &nb ...

Lawyers For QA??
Oct 20, 2009

Have u ever heard of anyone using a lawyer to do QA??  ...

I Just Got Off The Phone With One Of The Lawyers...
May 14, 2012

I worked for Nuance for a very short period of time. Long enough to get the MUP email... which I took screenshots of and saved to my computer. He was very interested in them and asked me if I would forward them to him. (You bet I did!) He's also interested in documentation regarding how much Nuance bought out Transcend for. I know there is an article on here somewhere (and I'll search for it), but if you have the link, please reply. (I'll get your answer via email.) I forgo ...

Random Audit Due Today...waiting, Waiting.
Apr 11, 2014

My random audits have happened the last 3 months between the 10th and 15th of each month.  So, now... well, I guess I wait to see where the axe will fall.   ...

Can't Seem To Get A Response
Apr 01, 2010

I'm just curious if others are in the same boat as I am.  I have almost 10 years experience as an MT, both acute care and clinic, and I have been sending my resume to many of the job postings on this board.  I think I have received two replies out of probably 20 resumes sent.  Is this pretty much the way it is for others, or do I need to tweak my resume?  Thanks! ...

This Is A Response I Sent To An For A RAD IC
May 18, 2010

"You might want to consider re-wording your job posting and re-think your position as you can find yourself in serious trouble with the IRS regarding requiring an independent contractor to work a set schedule.  You are wanting an employee, not an independent contractor, if that contractor has to work a set schedule and 'has to work over.'  The IRS will come down pretty hard on you...especially if someone sends them a copy of your job posting.  So you understand ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Get A Response From DIT?
Nov 09, 2010

Has anyone been able to get a response from DIT?  Please let me know because I certainly have not.  This place is the worst.  What is really terrible is that continue to keep hiring new MTs and promise them that everything is now okay.  They are just a bunch of people not telling the truth. ...

Response To Ads
Sep 21, 2011

Can anyone tell me if they ever get a response when applying for positions?  I never seem to hear back from any of them.   ...

Response To
Mar 19, 2015

Just thought you all would like to read this response to a resume I recently sent out.... and what would your feelings be concerning what you read? Hello, Thank you for your interest in providing Transcription services for our company. I have received your resume. I have put some information in the body of the email as well as attached our templates and sample reports so you can see what the reports look like. I would like to mention to you a few things so you can make an info ...

Still Waiting
Oct 15, 2012

I have been waiting since last Thursday to hear back from my supervisor about possibly picking up another account (would be my 5th) or changing my hours so that I wouldn't constantly be OOW. Good thing I didn't hold my breath...tired of constantly being put on the back burner by this company. See what years of dedication gets you? ...

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting
Sep 11, 2014

A week ago today, my e-mail and Remedy locked me out.  Cannot get into either.  My TSM entered a ticket for me.  I am STILL  waiting to hear back from tech support.  Hope I didn't get any e-mails.  HA.    How can they be so busy that it takes them a week?  I don't get it. ...

Anyone Else Have Problems Getting A Response
Feb 05, 2010

I sent to emails and two voice mails, one marked urgent-no response.  Anyone have this issue? ...

Prompt Response
Jun 27, 2010

Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to what a "prompt" response should be for a resume that was sent out? I do not like waiting weeks or months to get a response. ...

Has Anyone Gotten A Response From Oracle??
Oct 06, 2010

They have a job posting that I applied for.  Haven't heard anything back from them.  Has anyone else?  ...

Autotrophic Response?
Jan 06, 2011

"An exercise stress test was performed and she was able to exercise for approximately 8 minutes, utilizing a brief protocol, to a maximum heart rate of 156 per minute.  It was an appropriate (s/l anatropic or maybe autotrophic) response."  I am unsure what word he is dictating here. ...

Response To Resumes
Feb 04, 2011

Yeah for sure.  what goes does it do to send resumes to these jobs posted here, when you get NO response...  I realize they have more resumes than they can probably go through, but when they look at the top of your resume (where it should be) and see you have had over 25 years experience - you think they'd contact you first, yeah whatever.  Not sure, but know MT jobs are scarce!! ...

Allergic Response
Apr 02, 2011

Ibuprofen gives the patient s/l tranaphylaxis. Thanks in advance. ...

How Long Does It Take For A Response From Someone Here
Nov 17, 2011

about wage disputes?  I emailed two days ago about a payment I was supposed to receive the 15th (and still have not), and have not heard about any kind of resolution or anything and of course no pay still and no check in the mail. ...

LDMTS - No Response
Oct 29, 2012

I have sent my resume to Ldmts after checking their job posting but no response. Is there anyone with similar experience? ...

Will Be Interesting To See The Response To This
Nov 02, 2012

About to send off this e-mail to my ROM or whatever she's calling herself these days....Subject:  QA questions, just to be sure I have it straight.... We really, REALLY need to get a ruling from the client on this stuff. In writing.   In the last missive I got from QA, I was told that the only symbol allowed on ***** was the percent sign; thus, if they dictated 2+, I was to type 2 plus.   Aside from the fact that I've been typing plus signs on ***** reports for 4 ye ...

Response To MT To RN Post Below
Mar 08, 2013

Sorry...you had asked me a question but I've been away for a couple days.  Yes, Home Health/Hospice is more flexible as far as scheduling.  For the most part, we set up our own schedules, call the patients ourselves with times we expect to be there, and then if by some chance we get done early we aren't required to hang around to get our 8 hours in. That being said, it's a brutal job.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have some solid acute ca ...

Got Response From ARTEC
Jul 29, 2013

Anyone hear back from Artec or Certa?  How as the test?   TIA ...

Hypermercury Response?
Aug 05, 2013

after deflating what I think is a pneumatic catheter, the patient "had a problem to *hypermercury* response". ...

Here's The Response I Got After Emailing Someone At TAA
Mar 11, 2014

"MedQuist/M-Model was certified in March 2012. We did receive a list of workers whose positions were affected due to trade. Unfortunately, your name was not on the MedQuist/M-Model worker list as being trade affected. Unless we receive notification from MedQuist/M-Modal that you were let go due to your position being affected by tradeâ€Â¦.you are not eligible to apply for training benefits. If you feel your name should be on the listâ€Â¦please contact the HR department of MedQuist/M-Mode ...

How Do You Use Your Waiting Time?
Jul 02, 2010

Hi, I am an old MT but new to working at home. Didn't know beans about any company, but have gotten hired by a company that (as I found out on these forums) apparently overhires. As I understand it, this means that my "8-hour shift" may stretch to fill the entire day, as I wait for dictation to become available, because we have to do a certain number of lines, if there's work or not. My question to anyone in the same situation is, What do you do during the time you are waiting? Is it ...

WAITING FOR WORK???
Jun 20, 2012

Take action and file for unemployment...I have and it is approved!!!  For those of us sitting around twiddling our thumbs when we should be working our shift but have the old "no work available" story...the UE term is "underemployed".  Maybe in India this type of treatment of employees flies...but hey, not here! We're in the USA and lovin' it !!!! God Bless The USA !!!!! ...

Waiting On Work...
Jul 15, 2012

after reading this excerpt from the Dept. of Labor website http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/hoursworked/screen1d.asp (this link was posted below in an earlier conversation by "fedup").  Waiting for Work Time which an employee is required to be at work or allowed to work for his or her employer is hours worked. A person hired to do nothing or to do nothing but wait for something to do or something to happen is still working. The Supreme Court has stated that employee ...

TTS- Waiting For The Ax To Fall
Sep 21, 2012

so - today I got my QA - 97.97%. deal is it's now the 3rd one below 98%.. with the tagline that came out a few months ago that if you get a 3rd QA below 98% you'll be fired.  So - why do they not do it today and make me wait for the phone call until Tuesday.. I'm probably going to stress myself so much over worrying about it I'll have a stroke before tuesday.... Deal is -- I"ve been applying to other jobs -- not just MT (live in a very small town so anything medical has ...

Waiting Time Pay
Mar 29, 2013

Did you know that the Department of Labor requires that you be paid for waiting time?  That's right. Keep track of all the time you are out of work during your regular shift and are required to be available to work when the jobs come in.  All that time is billable to the company and is, by federal law, due to be paid to you!  Keep track of all your out of work or waiting for tech support down time!!! Bill the company for it. ...

Waiting On My W2 From LandMark
Dec 28, 2013

Still waiting on my W2 from Landmark. Anyone else waiting and when should I get it?  Thanks!!!!! ...