A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

lawyers for QA?? - jb

Posted: Oct 20, 2009

Have u ever heard of anyone using a lawyer to do QA?? 

Not for medical transcription (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't understand how an attorney could QA medical transcription. They don't know medical terminology much less style issues. Then there's the issue of pay. Most of these companies don't pay squat anymore for QA. What attorney is going to work for 3 cents a line?

AMEN - jb

[ In Reply To ..]
I just got a contract with a company and worked it for one week and got 3/4 of my work back from this lawyer that works with them "helping out with QA." My work was butcherd and the corrections were unlike anything I had ever seen. When I asked about this they basically handed my you know what back to me on a platter, then was chastised like a little girl for not wanting to learn their "preferences." UNBELIEVABLE. If this "Lawyer/QA/helper" did not know what terms were she would circle them and put a ? mark next to it and mark it wrong. When the term was correctly spelled and correctly used. Needless to say, I said SEE YA. Now hoping I'll get paid.

Are you kidding?! (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Just when you think this profession has hit rock bottom as far as how we are treated, something new pops up. I am just blown away by your story. Do you mind sharing the name of the company so that we can avoid it, please?
name of company - jb
[ In Reply To ..]
I am a little nervous about directly naming them, as this person is an attorney, and I am waiting on my pay. Although, I can tell you they are based out of Seattle and the company name is initials, and they were posted on MT Stars for jobs not too long ago. They have been doing a ton of hiring lately, 12 MTs at a time. That should have been my first clue. Hope that helps. When I get my pay, I most certainly will name them.

Really? You couldn't hack the QA? - Not even for 11 cpl? See msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I started with this company a couple of months ago, and *if* they're using a lawyer for QA, I'm guessing it's because the lawyer is doing it for extra income. The owners were my QA people when I started and, yes, they're strict.

But they tell you that up front. Didn't you sit in on the training where they said right off the bat that they charge the client premium prices and pay the MTs above industry average because they insist on quality??!!

Also, they pay exactly on time. I think what you're referring to is that it takes 3 weeks after you send your invoice to get your first check, then it's weekly after that, like clockwork.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks....
lawyer needing extra income - KL
[ In Reply To ..]
What kind of lawyer needs extra income? Obviously, not a very good one.

Who says a lawyer can't do both???? - dw

[ In Reply To ..]
After working with this lawyer for the past 10 months, she has always been right on the money. She definitely hears things I can NEVER decipher and does a FANTASTIC job of doing QA. I imagine having passed the bar exam and learning all those legal terms would train someone's ear very well to hearing any kind of dialect. I also imagine that being involved in the company since its beginning has also given her a ton of experience. QA people are human and will make mistakes the same as everyone else. The client calls the shots first and then the MTSO. Too bad if we don't agree. And yes, there are always client-preferred specifics to any account.

I have been with this company for 5 years. I can tell you that if a lawyer is doing QA then she knows what she is doing. This company puts QUALITY FIRST AND FOREMOST unlike many others today. The fact that the time was taken to even send back a corrected report should speak for itself. Would you rather not know what went in the blanks???? The fact that you received corrections circled with question marks indicates that she was not sure and so had it verified which again shows that QUALITY is the UTMOST concern with this company.

Excuse me? Truth always prevails. - jln

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone needs to get their facts straight! I've worked for this company for over 3 years now, and I don't ever foresee myself going anywhere else. "Avoid" this company? If you would rather not work for someone who genuinely cares about you--if you would rather not work for a company who is sought after by clients because of their reputation for QUALITY--if you would rather not work for a company who pays better than most--if you would rather not work for a company equipped with a staff who will bend over backwards to make your job easier--if you would rather not work for a company laced with compassion and integrity, then run fast. Avoid it at all costs!

OMG! Hiring 12 people at a time? The last time I checked, that was a good thing. It's called growth!!!

I'm truly confused. I have my work QA'd by this "lawyer-MT" as well. My notes don't come back all marked up. I set my ego aside and accept the fact that I will always have to be a student in this profession. I don't think you are telling the whole story. In fact, I know you aren't. I just hope other people can see through the smoke. This company has very high standards and the clients expect it. Perhaps this was not a good fit for you at this time, but is it really necessary to trash-talk a quality company just to make yourself look better?

And since when are we not allowed to diversify? What makes you think this person was a lawyer first? Maybe she was a transcriptionist first and then realized it was time to pursue her dream of becoming a lawyer. Does that make her any less qualified to QA your work? And because she is doing transcription on the side, does that make her a bad lawyer as someone implied? Look up the phrase, "pro bono." Shame on her for having the compassion to help others when they can't afford to help themselves and then doing QA on the weekends to make up the difference.

There's a silver lining in every cloud. You might want to look for it occasionally.

Prefer the high standards - Sudee

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, having been a paralegal and a manager of a court reporting firm prior to working as a medical transcriptionist, I'm not sure how I feel about your comment. I had a great deal of medical exposure in the practices I worked in and the court reporting firm worked mostly on asbestos litigation cases. Be that as it may, I went onto medical transcription in pathology in a hospital and then to home. I had my own clients and some subs for awhile. I worked for this firm you are speaking of and to be honest the only reason I no longer am working there is I am working for my daughter-in-law's office (she is an ARNP). If for any reason that should change, I will run back to this firm and hopefully they will have room for me. They are the best ever. This is not your ordinary company. This is a family. They care deeply about everyone. You may be offended about high end work values, those of us who love it are not. We are used to that and that is what we appreciate as well and also expect. It is nice to be part of a company with that reputation. Trust me; this company cares about everyone that works there. I know that first hand. It is truly amazing. So you really I have no idea what you are talking about. There are a lot of folks in the field that "settle". This company and those who work there don't. We don't want to and they don't either. We take pride in working with a great company with a great reputation.

Sue M - Firefighter mom and Still Rabid UW Dawg fan!

Why Not? - vsm

[ In Reply To ..]

I have worked as a medical transcriptionist for 20 years and have worked for this company for 7 of those 20 years.  This is the most outstanding professional service I have ever worked for and by far the most customer oriented.  They pride themselves in the quality of their work and produce a quality product.  I have been QA'd by office managers and English majors, and I wouldn't bat an eye at being QA'd by a lawyer.  As far as medical terminology and style are concerned, I would think a lawyer would be highly educated in this regard as we know how complex law school is and it's no picnic to pass the bar.  Most paralegal coursework now requires medical terminology so why would it be any different for a lawyer.  In the field of medical transcription, you may be QA'd by many different people and you need to roll with the punches and consider it a learning experience. You can have three different people reading the same report and get three different editing styles.  As far as preferences are concerned, any time you work for any client you will have to adapt and conform to their style.  I had 14 clients at one time and all 14 had different styles.  That's just the nature of being a transcriptionist.  We must be flexible for any style the client would like.

As far as pay is concerned, in 7 years I have NEVER had to chase down a paycheck as I did with private clients.  They pay exactly on time and have the highest pay scale out there.  Good luck finding a company to work for because you just passed up the best one out there.  As far as hiring "12 MTs" the reason is because this company is so good they landed an account with 100+ doctors and needed coverage.  Just my 2 cents.     

Another AMEN - KR-C26

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked for this company you're complaining so bitterly about for about 8 or 9 years now. It's a "boutique" business, which means the clients expect extremely high standards, and the company pays far above industry average so that they can expect great work from their transcriptionists. Anyway, I just fully and wholeheartedly support what this company's happy and content IC's have already posted.

Another AMEN - wdwnnad

[ In Reply To ..]
When I got very ill 6 years ago I had to close my transcription business and let my clients and 14 transcriptionists go. I was lucky to find this MTSO and have been an IC for her ever since. She is an MT herself who will jump in and transcribe if the work gets backlogged, without whining that we donĂ¢€™t do enough for her. She treats her MTs with respect and acknowledgement of our intelligence, ability and willingness to work to achieve the goal of producing the highest quality patient care documents. She pays top dollar for our work, and agonizes over how to increase our income so we stay happy and productive. She has cobbled together a great team of MTs beginning in the Seattle area and now located all over the country. Her clients and her MTs love her and her business has grown exponentially because of this. Perhaps you and she are both lucky this early in your relationship to discover that you donĂ¢€™t value strong leadership, informed risk management, fact-based QA and teamwork enough to play on our team.

Similar Messages:

I Just Got Off The Phone With One Of The Lawyers...
May 14, 2012

I worked for Nuance for a very short period of time. Long enough to get the MUP email... which I took screenshots of and saved to my computer. He was very interested in them and asked me if I would forward them to him. (You bet I did!) He's also interested in documentation regarding how much Nuance bought out Transcend for. I know there is an article on here somewhere (and I'll search for it), but if you have the link, please reply. (I'll get your answer via email.) I forgo ...

Will These Lawyers Help Us? Waiting For A Response.
Aug 02, 2010

http://www.warnlawyers.com/?gclid=CIDywJmCkKMCFQM7agodX3o0pQ   One law recognizes the financial shock and indignity of unexpected job loss. The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act provides up to 60 days of pay and benefits to those unlawfully laid off without advance written notice. We can assist you to determine if your WARN rights, and those of your colleagues, were violated under federal and state WARN laws. ...