A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Thinking of testing up for SHDA. Any SHDAs have positive - sm

Posted: Jan 14, 2015

comments about the position? Thanks!

I am a level 2 and would never test any higher - just my opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
I know MMEs that wish they had never become one because their pay dropped.

MME/SHDA - soloqueen

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think I would want to be an MME but I wonder if they will have a better chance of surviving if there are ever layoffs.

SHDA testing - busyB

[ In Reply To ..]
I heard that while it is a great experience and might look somewhat impressive on an resume, there is no extra money involved with MM or any others for that matter.

SHDA - Mountainwoman

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an SHDA for about 3 years. I had no desire to test up, but my manager at the time asked me to, as they were short-handed.

If I am only filling in a few blanks, it gives my fingers a break from having to constantly be moving. I also like the challenge of trying to fill in a blank. I was surprised how much easier it was to fill in a blank when I didn't have to fight through the whole report. You know how it is, once you leave a couple of blanks, the more frustrated you get, and the less you can understand what they are saying, so the more blanks you leave.

I do have to say, that since this POD thing, 90% of the QA reports I get are ILP reports that need to be 100% reviewed. At 4 cents a line, I have lost about $60 a WEEK. I rarely get a report where I get a chance to try to figure something out, and having to do a complete review no longer gives my fingers a rest. Even though most of the gibberish from ASR has already been corrected, there are still tons of things that have to be corrected or changed, i.e., wrong words being used; poor punctuation that changes the meaning of a sentence, and things that generally make a report look sloppy, like wrong tense and leaving out words.

The only thing I can say now, is I still get a feeling of accomplishment when I can fill in a blank, but that has gotten few and far between. If I would have known then, what I know now, I probably wouldn't have done it; however, I still think the more experience you have in a job, the better off you will be.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Thanks for your reply. Appeciate it. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thank You, you made the decision for me - not testing!!! NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

And I suggest everyone do the same - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Stop falling for their games, the only ones that seem to win out in the end is the company and the overseas people. If we stop fixing their mess, maybe the docs will start complaining about quality
agreed, that is the only way wages will go up if no one takes - their pittance
[ In Reply To ..]
x

And the additions you make to report, filling in blanks, you dont - get paid for. You get paid based SM

[ In Reply To ..]
on the job as it came to you, with the blanks.

That's awful. Cbay used to pay based on the final upload - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
because they knew we'd get reports with 100 blanks and 3 words and have to do the entire report ourselves many times.

SHDA - Sunflower

[ In Reply To ..]
First, I have to say I still consider myself an MME. I just can't get these new, well....now old acronyms.

I have been an MME for 1-1/2 years and I love it. My supervisor at the time had continuously asked me to test up, not in a bugging way, mind you, but with all the negativity regarding this position, I declined over and over.

Then I talked with my QC who is no longer here anymore and she encouraged me and said I could do it. I finally took the leap and, as already mentioned, there is a feeling of accomplishment when blanks are filled in and I also agree that when I see a QA report coming my way, it is nice to give your hands a break. You just jump to the marker, listen, fill it in, and move on. I did not find the pay any different.

I have to say though for the first month, it was tough and I really had to concentrate, but like anything new, it takes some getting used to. Now, I zip through the QA reports with ease and my day is switched up with reports to edit and reports to QA.

Good Luck!!!

Why are they promoting more to SHDA when we don't have - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
enough QA work to go around at all? Most of us get a few reports to QA a day & spend the rest of the time doing ASR. There are already plenty of us waiting to get some QA work, so if more is becoming available, just let us do it!

Not enough QA - Mountainwoman

[ In Reply To ..]
Before the PODs, I rarely got QA, maybe 4-5 a day. I loved it, and wished I would get more. Now, I get at least 15-30 reports a day, almost all 100% QA, from all over creation. If I work at night to help out, most times I will get 3-4 ASR jobs, and the rest 100% QA over a 2-3 hour period.

My grandpa always said "be careful what you wish for. You might just get it." :(

I'm guessing maybe they are in need of 3rd shift SHDAs. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

maybe a couple... - nachoN-MME

[ In Reply To ..]
PRO:
1. You might be less likely to be laid off/micromanaged out the door. I also think everyone else should test up to T3.
2. It looks good on a resume.
3. I like being the second set of ears and the challenge of filling in a real blank (not just blanks from bad dictators and audio).

CON:
1. The pay is ridiculously low, especially lately. The work difficulty gets higher and higher while my check tanks. We get every single account on the list in ASR plus others. Then we have to 100% review and correct a bunch of offshore jobs with pretty serious errors on a lot of them. Getting our own nitpicky audits after fixing their mess is exasperating. I think we should be paid hourly and much higher. I am not making much more, probably less on average, and definitely less in the last few months.
2. There is not much contact with other SHDA or HDS. Sometimes it would help to have even more ears. We need be on the same page about some things so there is no conflicting feedback. Sometimes I want a second listen too, but if I send it in I will usually get my own job back. Hm. That is one way to increase the $$ ...lol

While I'm ranting, I also think they should make all client profiles exactly the same, put us all in one or two primary assignments and/or specialties, fix their audio, tell them to dictate in recognizable English at a normal speed without eating chips beside the TV, pay us for doing ADT, and completely ban sending any part of US medical records offshore...

Doing ASR, I get mediocre reports most of the day, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
a few really good, and a few really bad. Doing QA, they're ALL bad.... one thing to keep in mind.

MME / SHDA - Aint Down Home

[ In Reply To ..]
No tomatoes, please ..... This is going to take a lot of courage: What is an MME and an SHDA?

Answer - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Years ago, Medquist (now MModal) decided to pay QA by the line rather than by the hour and also combine their job with that of MT/ME, creating a transcriptionist/editor/QA hybrid. They named this hybrid the Master Medical Editor (MME). A year or so ago they got bored with this title and changed it to the Senior Health Documentation Analyst (SHDA). Basically, they do tier 3 work as well as QA any jobs that come around.

nope you got it ALL wrong! - yellow submarine

[ In Reply To ..]
MME was Mumbling Moron Expert
SHDA is Slave Hamster Doc-decryption Artist!

Similar Messages:

EGFR Testing Showed That She Was, "while Tapping Off" Was Positive.
Jan 07, 2014

Bone marrow biopsy at showed no evidence of malignancy; however, her right-sided lung mass, as well as her R4 lymph nodes and all other samples, were positive for metastatic adenocarcinoma.  "EGFR testing showed that she was well typing off was positive." or "EGFR testing showed that she was, while tapping off, was positive."  ...

Any Other SHDAs Notice Decreased ILP QA?
Aug 23, 2014

Since the transition, I have not gotten nearly as much ILP QA as I used to.  Not much in the way of US MTs either, but I expect that with their blank contest.  I have a feeling they have made ILP work only QA'd by ILPs now without the extra step through US QA.  If that is the case, there is going to be a lot more garbage reports going to the hospitals, especially considering ILP QA barely even look at reports before sending them on. ...

What Does SHDA And HDS Stand For In Shaw's E Mail?
Sep 20, 2013

I don't understand why we need all these new abbreviations for titles.  ...

Does Anyone Know Where HDS/SHDA Job Descriptions Are In MQ Central Maze? - NM
Mar 10, 2014

XX ...

TO SHDAs. U Dont Get Line Ct Credit For All Lines Edited. U Only
Oct 07, 2014

x ...

Urinalysis:  Blood Positive, Protein Positive
Jun 02, 2010

Urinalysis:  Blood positive, protein positive, 30-40 dublisees(???) 80-99 rbusees ...

Abnormal Nuclear Stress Test, Consider False Positive Study, Hyphen FALSE POSITIVE?
May 19, 2010

:) ...

Saince Testing? Transcription Or Vocabulary/terminology Type Testing?
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone willing to tell if it is multiple dictations, how many, etc.  Were you able to get foot pedal to work with it? any info helpful.  ...

OB S/l Nitrazine Positive, ___ Positive Sm
Jun 28, 2011

Can't tell what's being said. First it sounded like folate positive, then foleen or poleen.  Ack! Whatever it is, it showed up in office visit exam and again in hospital. ...

Is There Anything Positive About Being An MME?
Oct 21, 2009

I was thinking about becoming an MME, but all I hear is negative talk.  Is there anything good about being one? ...

Something Positive To Say
Mar 27, 2010

I get on this site every now and then and it is so disheartening to see so many people frustrated with their employers.  I work for two different companies and I have to say I love them both.  I work for OSi and I work for All Type.  Both treat me fairly, respond rapidly to questions and are nice employers.  I've always been paid on time, they both understand emergencies and I make a good income from each.  There are good companies and there are nice people to work ...

TTD- Anything Positive On Them?
May 23, 2012

Hi, I am new to this board, but have been searching jobs here.  I applied to TTD and received new-hire package.  I have been looking here at all the negative comments about them before actually figuring out what I want to do with them.  My question is, are there any positive comments about them at all?  I may have an opportunity later this summer at a job locally and have a job currently, but not sure if I want to hop into this if they don't pay.  I don't want ...

Anything Positive ?
May 29, 2012

Is there anyone out there who has anything positive to say about any transcription company ??  Keystrokes, Naunce, Transcend, Accentus, Softscript ?   Are they ALL bad ?  Thanks ...

Anything Positive?
Dec 31, 2012

I'm currently a student with a nearing graduation date. I'm getting quite discouraged lately because from what I have been researching and finding on forums is that basically there is not enough work out there to make ends meet. I've seen alot of negative posts from current MTs and it makes me nervous since I have yet to graduate. Is there anything positive out there for a student like me to look forward to?? ...

Something Positive
Jun 22, 2013

I just wanted to mention something positive about MT, my experience.  There are a lot of negatives posted about the MT field on this board, and I'm not discounting anybody's experience, as, yes, there have been changes in this field, and some of those changes have hit people hard and are not fair.  I just wanted to give encouragement to people who like MT that there are some positive things/companies still going on.  I have 7 years of experience.  I graduated from C ...

Some Positive Words, Please!
Dec 30, 2009

Man, I can see the changes in the transcription industry (admittedly negative changes) have really gotten us down and we're stuck in a mire of complaints, bad feelings and feeling tired and fed up!  I feel the same way, and I feel that greed and the economy are to blame.  But sometimes you just need to hear a positive word to make it through the day, or through the week.  Here is mine - I am thankful that I do not have to spend money on work clothes and ga ...

Heme-positive
Feb 08, 2010

Is "heme-positive" actually slang for Hemoccult-positive or for hemoglobin-positive?  Also, I found on an archived post that Hemoccult is capitalized because it is a trade name but wonder if the above are capitalized as well or should not be used because they are slang? ...

Hyphen Is ER/PR Positive?
Feb 08, 2010

Is it ER/PR-positive with the hyphen or ER/PR positive without the hyphen?  I can't ever figure this out. ...

Transolutions - Anything Positive
Jul 01, 2010

Anyone have anything positive to say about Transolutions or more specifically their recent experience with the Apex platform? ...

I Am Not Really Positive I Completely Buy Into ~sm~ TIA
Mar 27, 2010

I am not really positive I completely buy into the fact that this illnesses is of such s/l reparation as his gamma globulin levels have been a little bit elevated and I wonder if there is more chronicity than we think. ...

Positive S/l Clubsiella
Sep 30, 2010

Any ideas? ...

Sure Could Use Some POSITIVE Energy
Nov 25, 2010

Not everyone is unhappy with MT work right now.  Lots of times this board is filled with much negativity and I think it is a disservice to each other.  Sometimes we need to vent, but sure would like to see people with more positive things that are happening in their life post on here, and not just read on here.  I think it is unfair to dissuade newcomers to the profession.  Give them an accurate vision of what it is like, both pros and cons.  But, I think it's wron ...

ON A MORE POSITIVE NOTE
Apr 22, 2011

. ...

Can We Have Something Positive For A Change?
Oct 17, 2011

Seriously, all I read about here are how MT sucks. It's horrible. Get out while you can.   I'm new to this field. This talk is very disheartening. Reading these threads even makes me work less because it feels pointless. So, please, can I have some positives? Something to show me that I can live off this line of work. How many people are doing well? Good? Great?! ...

On A POSITIVE Note
May 20, 2012

I know it's rare for this board if, heaven forbid, anybody put anything positive on here. I've complained on here just like everyone else about low pay, low work, etc., but the bottom line for me is: I love the company I work for and have a great supervisor; they let me know from time to time that I am appreciated and let me know I was missed when I am gone (on vacation or whatever); they do their best to make sure I have enough work; they do thoughtful things, such as send birthday ...

Positive Experience With TTD?
Jun 06, 2012

Does anyone have or have had a positive experience with TTD? Any and all positive or negative information would be appreciated. Thanks ...

I'll Tell Ya... (positive Post)
Dec 24, 2012

There's real joy in transcribing a speed-dictator who can actually speed dictate well!  When he's speed-dictating, not stumbling, not mumbling, it's just wonderful!  It's a nice break from the mumblers and bumblers. ...

Anything Positive About SoftScript?
Jan 09, 2013

Got an email to take their test for radiology. Just wondering if anyone had a positive experience or a bad one? I need info. Working for Nuance now after a merger. TOTALLY SUCKS! Got to find something new. TIA!! ...

Trying To Stay Positive Looking For Job
Aug 22, 2014

I have graduated a year and a half ago from school, have my CPC-A and I am not having any luck finding a job.  I have applied to so many jobs and I get the same answer all the time of needing at least 2 to 3 years of experience.  While I am trying to be patient, I feel my skills are being lost.  You HAVE to be able to code every day in order for guidelines to cement in your brain and to become aware of changes.  I do practice by doing the Optum Code This! scenarios, (which I ...

POSITIVE Tips For A New MT Please
Sep 21, 2014

Hello, I will be starting a full-time transcription job October 7th.  I have about 3 years experience in medical transcription, but have never worked for straight production pay, never worked from home, and have never transcribed 8 hours a day, every day.  I have been reading these forums and have read all of the negative thoughts about getting into medical transcription.  That's not what I'm looking for.  I would like tips for starting with a new company, new dic ...