A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anything Positive? - newbieStudent

Posted: Dec 31, 2012

I'm currently a student with a nearing graduation date. I'm getting quite discouraged lately because from what I have been researching and finding on forums is that basically there is not enough work out there to make ends meet. I've seen alot of negative posts from current MTs and it makes me nervous since I have yet to graduate. Is there anything positive out there for a student like me to look forward to??

What school are you graduating from? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Anything Positive? - newbieStudent

[ In Reply To ..]
MTEC

MTEC - Has a good reputation

[ In Reply To ..]
Being an MTEC grad, you should be able to find a company that will test you. Andrews and MTEC have very good reputations and companies know the name.

Glad you chose a good school.
MTEC - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
It is a good school and you chose wisely. It is not the school that is the problem--it is the economy.

Yes, lots of work here and pay is good - ssmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not understand all the negative posts here. There is plenty of work in my area, and we are desperately short on transcriptionists. Pay range depends: Local companies pay up to 10-16 cpl, nationals up to 9 cpl that I know of, and physicians offices and or hospital in-house positions are available. When you obtain some experience, you can obtain your own clients and make more. Good luck!

Even after you graduate, you will need to go through some sort of mentoring (paid of course) or internship. You will always be learning. School just covers the small basics.

Grain of salt. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure of the motivation of ssmt, but her experience is really not the norm. She has been posting ALL over this board today and yesterday. Perhaps she runs an MT school or something.

Straight out of school you will not be making anywhere near 10 cpl, let alone 16 and there are NO nationals paying 9 to new hires. I have years and years of experience and the best I got from a clinic was 12 cpl and that was as an IC where I had to pay my own taxes. Then they went to EMR and let all of the MTs go.

The reality is that straight out of school you will get 3 cpl for VR and 6 cpl for straight typing.

Your best bet would be to try to get on with a clinic, but I worked in a few and newbies were very, very rarely hired.

I do wish you luck but don't let ssmt's post give you unrealistic expectations. Minimum wage as a newbie is much more likely.

No, I do not run a school - ssmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Check with smaller LOCAL companies or another transcriptionist who has her own accounts who is willing to mentor/train (paid of course). They pay a lot better and will appreciate you more.

Where I am located, there is plenty of work and pay is pretty good. I am speaking not only from my experience but every transcriptionist and MTSO owner (small) that I know. Also, certain work types are more lucrative than others.
ssmt - Miami gal
[ In Reply To ..]
May I ask where you are located?
Located in Southern California... - ssmt
[ In Reply To ..]
I know a lot of service owners and transcriptionists with their own accounts in my area who are very shorthanded consistently and local hospitals always placing ads as well others in different states. Aegis RapidText just placed an ad also, a company I used to work for after losing my main client to EMR, which thankfully I have back now. I have also received calls recently from physicians who no longer want to chart themselves and prefer using transcriptionists.
Although ssmt is likely pulling the OP's leg, one - thing she says is true in California - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
There does seem to be a lot more MT work in Southern Calif. (especially Orange and San Diego Counties) than in Northern Calif. Lots of pathology, so that may be a good thing to become proficient in. More in-house opportunities than Northern CA, too. Up here, in-house has all but disappeared, especially in the Sutter Health system. What little there is, is usually only temporary or per-diem. Scripps is in the San Diego area, and every so often they're hiring.

But, on the whole, the future of MT looks grim, unless something cataclysmic happens in the industry that forces MT all back to the hospitals, where it belongs and should never have left.
In-house in Southern Cal - ssmt
[ In Reply To ..]
Several hospital systems in Southern California are still all in-house, such as Hoag Hospital and all their satellite offices, St. Joseph's, and Anaheim Memorial to name a few. There are also a lot of physicians' offices that are in-house, this I know for sure, as I went in person to thousands of offices when my largest client went EMR, and 95% of them had in-house transcriptionists. I also know numerous MTSOs, some with hospital accounts. They are always shorthanded and looking to hire qualified candidates. Network, network, network.... That and your education are the most important for a successful career... not working for peanuts at the usual nationals listed on this board from what I read. Also, training extensively so that you can eventually obtain your own clients will be more beneficial. Good luck!
Fields of medicine.... - ssmt
[ In Reply To ..]
I was lucky to have an opportunity to transcribe OPs and preop HPs during my last year in school and have been since as well as some office transcription. If you are trained in these, you can write your own ticket anywhere, and it is a very profitable field....lots of canned templates or physicians dictating same thing over and over, especially on procedure notes. It is harder to enter than say clinic work but well worth it. If you do need to make money right away though, clinic work is the easiest to start, some say, but then you are looking up addresses. Transcribing operative notes is not as hard as most say it is.
Northern CA is pretty much a dead-zone when - it comes to in-house MT work! nm
[ In Reply To ..]
SSMT has said this before - and about those 1000s of offices
[ In Reply To ..]
Come on now, thousands? A hundred maybe I'd believe. But even if her experience is wonderful, I don't see why she can't understand that it's not so wonderful for everybody. Acts like, what's the problem? there's so much work and it pays so much! Well, the rest of us are not making it up about our situations, you can rest assured.
Sorry you are having such a hard time - ssmt
[ In Reply To ..]
However, I was answering the OP.

Glad you obtained a job and good for you! Remember to keep up your training, i.e., workshops, workbooks, seminars, etc.
but that's not the point - the point is
[ In Reply To ..]
your results are not typical; please stop acting as if they are.
They are typical for everybody I know, all MTs - ssmt
[ In Reply To ..]
Evert MT I know, which are quite a few (at least 40), as well as service owners have no shortage in work, jobs, or clients. We are completely buried in work here. If you are not having any luck, try California.

newbie - sam

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes i am a newbie and i am having trouble finding a job at home. they say they want experienced but can't get experience if no one would give you a chance. I have a diploma in transcription,and i do very good. I would love a job at working at home if someone would give me a chance.

newbie - sam - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Where is your diploma from?

Easy To Get Job - NoBS

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated from MTEC online school in August last year and got hired to the first company I applied to--actually, the second company. The first company changed their mind after they thought I asked too many questions (which made me seem high-maintenace perhaps?)The company I work for now is Nuance and is a national company with headquarters in Masachusetts. I live in northern California and am on their Sutter account. Because I'm a new grad with no experience, they just assign "easier" jobs or worktypes for me such as clinic notes and letters. Nuance is very open to those who have no experience.

What's Your GPA? - NoBS

[ In Reply To ..]
So I got job with Nuance right away. If you graduated in the last 6 months (like I did before I got job) you don't even need to take a pre-employment test. They automatically hired me. But I did graduate at what's considered a top MT school (MTEC) and my GPA is 96. I think Nuance requires a 95 GPA minimum to be considered.

Working At Home - NoBS

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at home, by the way. I don't make much money, but I knew this would be the case from the beginning in this line of work. In my case, I'm happy that I don't have to rely on disability income anymore but am financially independent instead.

Something Positive - NoBS

[ In Reply To ..]
Pro: It's actually easy to get a job if you have training at a reputable (preferably accredited school or program) and graduate with a GPA of 95 or higher. Apparently the "economy" has no effect on job availability when it comes to healthcare fields. Con: MT jobs have got to be the lowest-paying of all jobs related to healthcare. But if money is not one's main object....

Making Ends Meet - noBS

[ In Reply To ..]
I just read you are graduating from MTEC, so it shouldn't be hard to get a job at all. In terms of your concerns about making ends meet, it depends on whta your "ends" are. I think it is the law that, if hired, employers must pay at least minimum wage, even if at first you may not meet their production quota for that amount.

Similar Messages:

Urinalysis:  Blood Positive, Protein Positive
Jun 02, 2010

Urinalysis:  Blood positive, protein positive, 30-40 dublisees(???) 80-99 rbusees ...

Abnormal Nuclear Stress Test, Consider False Positive Study, Hyphen FALSE POSITIVE?
May 19, 2010

:) ...

OB S/l Nitrazine Positive, ___ Positive Sm
Jun 28, 2011

Can't tell what's being said. First it sounded like folate positive, then foleen or poleen.  Ack! Whatever it is, it showed up in office visit exam and again in hospital. ...

Is There Anything Positive About Being An MME?
Oct 21, 2009

I was thinking about becoming an MME, but all I hear is negative talk.  Is there anything good about being one? ...

Something Positive To Say
Mar 27, 2010

I get on this site every now and then and it is so disheartening to see so many people frustrated with their employers.  I work for two different companies and I have to say I love them both.  I work for OSi and I work for All Type.  Both treat me fairly, respond rapidly to questions and are nice employers.  I've always been paid on time, they both understand emergencies and I make a good income from each.  There are good companies and there are nice people to work ...

TTD- Anything Positive On Them?
May 23, 2012

Hi, I am new to this board, but have been searching jobs here.  I applied to TTD and received new-hire package.  I have been looking here at all the negative comments about them before actually figuring out what I want to do with them.  My question is, are there any positive comments about them at all?  I may have an opportunity later this summer at a job locally and have a job currently, but not sure if I want to hop into this if they don't pay.  I don't want ...

Anything Positive ?
May 29, 2012

Is there anyone out there who has anything positive to say about any transcription company ??  Keystrokes, Naunce, Transcend, Accentus, Softscript ?   Are they ALL bad ?  Thanks ...

Something Positive
Jun 22, 2013

I just wanted to mention something positive about MT, my experience.  There are a lot of negatives posted about the MT field on this board, and I'm not discounting anybody's experience, as, yes, there have been changes in this field, and some of those changes have hit people hard and are not fair.  I just wanted to give encouragement to people who like MT that there are some positive things/companies still going on.  I have 7 years of experience.  I graduated from C ...

Some Positive Words, Please!
Dec 30, 2009

Man, I can see the changes in the transcription industry (admittedly negative changes) have really gotten us down and we're stuck in a mire of complaints, bad feelings and feeling tired and fed up!  I feel the same way, and I feel that greed and the economy are to blame.  But sometimes you just need to hear a positive word to make it through the day, or through the week.  Here is mine - I am thankful that I do not have to spend money on work clothes and ga ...

Heme-positive
Feb 08, 2010

Is "heme-positive" actually slang for Hemoccult-positive or for hemoglobin-positive?  Also, I found on an archived post that Hemoccult is capitalized because it is a trade name but wonder if the above are capitalized as well or should not be used because they are slang? ...

Hyphen Is ER/PR Positive?
Feb 08, 2010

Is it ER/PR-positive with the hyphen or ER/PR positive without the hyphen?  I can't ever figure this out. ...

Transolutions - Anything Positive
Jul 01, 2010

Anyone have anything positive to say about Transolutions or more specifically their recent experience with the Apex platform? ...

I Am Not Really Positive I Completely Buy Into ~sm~ TIA
Mar 27, 2010

I am not really positive I completely buy into the fact that this illnesses is of such s/l reparation as his gamma globulin levels have been a little bit elevated and I wonder if there is more chronicity than we think. ...

Positive S/l Clubsiella
Sep 30, 2010

Any ideas? ...

Sure Could Use Some POSITIVE Energy
Nov 25, 2010

Not everyone is unhappy with MT work right now.  Lots of times this board is filled with much negativity and I think it is a disservice to each other.  Sometimes we need to vent, but sure would like to see people with more positive things that are happening in their life post on here, and not just read on here.  I think it is unfair to dissuade newcomers to the profession.  Give them an accurate vision of what it is like, both pros and cons.  But, I think it's wron ...

ON A MORE POSITIVE NOTE
Apr 22, 2011

. ...

Can We Have Something Positive For A Change?
Oct 17, 2011

Seriously, all I read about here are how MT sucks. It's horrible. Get out while you can.   I'm new to this field. This talk is very disheartening. Reading these threads even makes me work less because it feels pointless. So, please, can I have some positives? Something to show me that I can live off this line of work. How many people are doing well? Good? Great?! ...

On A POSITIVE Note
May 20, 2012

I know it's rare for this board if, heaven forbid, anybody put anything positive on here. I've complained on here just like everyone else about low pay, low work, etc., but the bottom line for me is: I love the company I work for and have a great supervisor; they let me know from time to time that I am appreciated and let me know I was missed when I am gone (on vacation or whatever); they do their best to make sure I have enough work; they do thoughtful things, such as send birthday ...

Positive Experience With TTD?
Jun 06, 2012

Does anyone have or have had a positive experience with TTD? Any and all positive or negative information would be appreciated. Thanks ...

I'll Tell Ya... (positive Post)
Dec 24, 2012

There's real joy in transcribing a speed-dictator who can actually speed dictate well!  When he's speed-dictating, not stumbling, not mumbling, it's just wonderful!  It's a nice break from the mumblers and bumblers. ...

Anything Positive About SoftScript?
Jan 09, 2013

Got an email to take their test for radiology. Just wondering if anyone had a positive experience or a bad one? I need info. Working for Nuance now after a merger. TOTALLY SUCKS! Got to find something new. TIA!! ...

Trying To Stay Positive Looking For Job
Aug 22, 2014

I have graduated a year and a half ago from school, have my CPC-A and I am not having any luck finding a job.  I have applied to so many jobs and I get the same answer all the time of needing at least 2 to 3 years of experience.  While I am trying to be patient, I feel my skills are being lost.  You HAVE to be able to code every day in order for guidelines to cement in your brain and to become aware of changes.  I do practice by doing the Optum Code This! scenarios, (which I ...

POSITIVE Tips For A New MT Please
Sep 21, 2014

Hello, I will be starting a full-time transcription job October 7th.  I have about 3 years experience in medical transcription, but have never worked for straight production pay, never worked from home, and have never transcribed 8 hours a day, every day.  I have been reading these forums and have read all of the negative thoughts about getting into medical transcription.  That's not what I'm looking for.  I would like tips for starting with a new company, new dic ...

SoftScript Something Positive
Nov 17, 2014

I wanted to post something positive.   I've been working for SS for a few months now, and I love it.   Been transcribing 22 years, back when WordPerfect was cutting edge!  I've worked for MANY services (MQ, HealthScribe, EDiX, M*Modal, just to name a few), 1 major hospital.  Have been MT, QA, VR, supervisor, and everything in between.   I say this not to brag, but so you know I have plenty to compare SS to.    The work is great and always there.   Pay has never been late, nor i ...

Positive Attitude, What Positive Attitude
Jan 08, 2015

I used to be a person with such a positive attitude, always smiling, taking the good with the bad and never letting the bad get me down.  Since all the recent changes at Mmodal going back several years, I've become more negative, more cynical, more frustrated, and more sarcastic.  I no longer care about the quality of a report when I get a dictator that obviously no longer cares about his/her patient.  You know that dictator that has the nerve to call on his/her cell phone wh ...

Trying To Stay Positive
Jun 08, 2015

Here it is the beginning of the work week.  Oh how I wish I would have won the lottery. I wish I could have a Monday that was not all crappy dictators.  It seems like the week takes forever and my 2 days go by so fast.  I remember when I actually enjoyed, maybe even loved my job.  Need to be positive and push for those lines.  Getting up and knowing that you have MOT from now until ?  doesn't help.  Trying not to believe that the new hires got prime hour ...

Trying To Have A Positive Attitude
Jun 04, 2015

Two days in a row now of the worst ever ESL dictators.  Sometimes this jobs just makes me want to SCREAM loudly but that won't solve the problem (s).  Too many days I have sat her crying over the quality (or lack thereof) of the physicians dictating.  They just don't care how they dictate.  WE are responsible for making them 100%.  So very tired.  Fondly remember the "good ole days" when I first started with Your Office Genie.  Each subsequent buyout ...

Abdomen: Positive S/l BSMT?
Oct 23, 2009

Pretty sure the BS is for bowel sounds but unsure about the MT, maybe movement? ...

History Of Positive S/l Femovera
Nov 03, 2009

listing in past medical history. ...

Any Positive Feedback With Focus?
Nov 10, 2009

Can I get some positive feedback about Focus Inform.?  Thanks. ...