A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Still out of work a few hours into shift and I originally chose to - confused again

Posted: Sep 03, 2013

make up time today but I am disgusted and just want the rest of the day without pay.  I would rather take the day and be personally productive than to keep checking only to find no work for me to do.  Do I file another ticket in Remedy????  I know that this is no longer an option, but I am thinking that it is not an option for this company to expect me to keep checking for work all day long and not paying me!

I agree 100% - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not understand, how do they expect people to work like this. Who the h*** makes up these policies!!!

We can use PTO though, right? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't find Shaw's email about the new policy - can someone post it or email it to me? I don't like the idea of using PTO, but I haven't had any work yet today, and making up time is just silly considering there aren't enough hours in the day/week to make up all the work I'm going to miss.

I would never use PTO for NJA. Then I'll never - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
be able to take a vacation!!!

Normally I would agree with that wholeheartedly, - but...

[ In Reply To ..]
I have absolutely no choice. No pay has never been an option, and there aren't enough hours in the day to make up my time missed. So that leaves me with having to use a few hours of PTO around the holidays. There are bills to pay, so I do what I have to do. Next year at this time, hopefully I will be working at a new job and this won't be an issue for me anymore. Maybe then I'll actually be able to afford a vacation, too.

As of yesterday, time off without pay was still - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
a choice on Remedy and that's what I chose!

Every time I read a story like this...it keeps me from applying for MT position - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
It's tough finding a job "out there" "in the real world." I start to weaken my resolve, and think, oh just apply for another MT position. Then I read these kinds of stories and it's back to NO WAY.

So thanks for sharing, and keeping those of us job hunting strong in our resolve!

Good decision on your part..... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
They probably wouldn't hire a US MT right now anyway (unless you are willing to work for 4 cents a line) as they just had a big lay off. My CCM said it was most of the PTers to "make more work for the Full timers. BS Alert!! Where is all this work that the laid off MTs are NOT doing? Not going to the FTers is it? Going to India. Since I was one of the ones who wanted to be laid off (and I was) I was hoping that at least the left FT MT's would have more work. I have 3 FT MT friends who work here....they are all in NJA right now. You are smart not to want to work there.

I have had lots more work since the layoffs - even offered OT last week

[ In Reply To ..]
which I took full advantage of.
not everyone is as fortunate as you - not making this up
[ In Reply To ..]
I assure you we are not imagining our NJA situations, nor are we insisting on working only 7-3 or 8-5 Monday through Friday.
Never said nor implied that you were. Just posting - my experience. Shees! Simmer down.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Are you on SpeechMotion? Just wait - OT on SpeechMotion
[ In Reply To ..]
until SpeechMotion goes to Fluency and we train it and then bye bye!
What is SpeechMotion? I had OT on Fluency. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
never heard of speech motion either - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Please enjoy that OT while you can - Kiki
[ In Reply To ..]
xx

You are welcome. I'm on my way out as well but sm - confused again

[ In Reply To ..]
not sure which direction I want to go. At this point, the local grocery store would not be too much of a pay cut and the stress level would go way down as will my blood pressure. I just can't take the stress and the physical drain that I feel every day just trying to make the line count, not leave any blanks and be perfect. An extra trip to the bathroom and there goes the line count. Lunch hour, what lunch hour??? It makes for a long day typing as fast as you can with no breaks and produce 150 lines per hour and do it perfectly for 8 hours. And this, of course, would be the days that work is available.

150 hours an hour at 4 cents per line would not be minimum - wage so how would a clerk

[ In Reply To ..]
job be taking a paycut

You said exactly what I do... - RealityCheck

[ In Reply To ..]
I start thinking I've been working from home too long and should just grin and bear it and work for scraps (nobody wants to hire an MT--too isolated and specific skill set), but I read the struggles on here, and I then desperately want out of it. This place is kind of a reality check.

Still out of work - msm

[ In Reply To ..]
Me too! I do not like this new policy one bit! I cannot imagine any other company could not have work for you to do, but insist that you make up the hours on thier whim, whenever jobs become available. I HATE this!

Similar Messages:

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Not Even 2 Hours Into My Shift And
Jun 06, 2012

I am out of work already!  Grrrrrrrrrrrr!  It is going to be another Looooooooong day as always :(    ...

What Are The Hours For Second Shift At Transcend?
Dec 03, 2010

nm ...

4.5 Hours Into Shift, Still No Work.and You
Nov 12, 2012

nm ...

Okay, Now I Am 6 Hours Into My Shift With Absolutely Nothing (sm)
Jan 30, 2013

and now I'm wondering if they threw me a bone yesterday just to leave me to starve today.  I have been checking every 10 to 15 minutes in between doing things around the house.  Thanks MM, since I had no work, I did get a chance to have lunch with my son who only had a half day of school today!  ...

Cutting Hours Off Of Shift Differential
Sep 10, 2013

where is the incentive to work????? I only got 2 hours of it anyway so now I don't get any extra at all!!! ...

Why I Chose To Go Back To MT After Doing Something Else For A Few Years
Nov 20, 2011

I never was one of those people 10-15 years ago who made $60,000/yr. I always got stuck working with a company that didn't allow the use of expander programs. I also was very good at some of the tougher ESL dictation and got more than my share of that, and actually enjoyed it. I always loved doing MT because I have always found it to be interesting. It is hard work though, so after a number of years, I tried something else for a break. I went back because it has advantages that outweighed t ...

Not Happy With The Coding School I Chose
Jun 27, 2011

I put a lot of research into my decision and decided to spend the extra money and go with a school that got a lot of great reviews and offered a format that I felt would fit my learning style the best.  One of the benefits of this school was that you are assigned an instructor who is there to answer your questions whenever you need them, etc.  Well after getting a 1/4 of the way through the program, I am finding that my instructor takes a week to 10 days to get back to me.  I han ...

Would You Start A Sentence With The Word "Originally"
Oct 28, 2009

. ...

MModal Still Has Shift Differential For Night Shift?
Jul 01, 2013

can anyone tell me if MModal still has shift differential for night shift? I know they used to ...

How To Transition From Day Shift To Night Shift
Dec 08, 2013

I've been offered an in-house MT position that I am not passing up. It is night shift 10 pm to 6 am. I've never worked a night shift ever. How should I transition into working nights? Anyone have any tips for working this shift? ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Is It Possible To Get 40 Hours' Work In 40 Hours?
Aug 09, 2014

If it takes more, how many more? I realize this is an answer dependent on many factors, but I'm talking in general terms. Thank you. ...

Possible To Get FT Day Shift?
Oct 18, 2009

Thinking of going back FT and quitting my current day job, but it isn't always easy to get on days.   (I know the work flow tends to be spread out a little thinner day shift.)  ...

QA For 3 Cpl As An IC On 3rd Shift...
Dec 07, 2009

Saw the ad elsewhere.  Are these companies nuts?!  I hope nobody takes that pay.  That's equivalent to 1 cpl as an employee with benes FOR QA WORK!  I get so frustrated reading some of these ads with such horrible pay. ...

Third Shift
Dec 10, 2009

I was wondering if it's really worth it to work the 3rd shift?  Does the additional CPL really make that much of a difference.  Does the workload stay steadier during that time?  I've been offered a 3rd shift part-time job, but just don't know if it's worth revamping my entire day to work this late.  Would anybody working this shift let me know how it works out as far as sleep, daytime errands, etc.? ...

What Is First Shift, Second Shift, Etc.?
Dec 16, 2010

I see job ads for First Shift, Second Shift, etc., and modified shifts, and I am not sure exactly what periods of time these are.   I figure they are specific hours of the day - like day, swing, graveyard shifts - but what are the hours, generally? I have only worked as an IC with TAT.  I am considering applying for some of the employee status jobs but need to clarify what these shifts are. Thank you. ...

One Job On My Shift And OOW
Nov 20, 2012

I thought I just got booted but logged back in no jobs will load so this means OOW.. already.. I just logged on for my shift.. NOT GOOD AND NOT HAPPY!!!! I believe I am in the South region. ...

NJA Now For 2.5 Hrs Of My Shift. Still NJA. Wst
Feb 07, 2013

wage.  this is a dream job! ...

2nd Shift?
May 06, 2013

Would anyone happen to know which company has a 2nd shift besides MModal or Nuance?  I see a lot of ads for 1st or 3rd, but due to family obligations I need 2nd shift.  Straight typing or speech - MT or QA (have done both).  Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. ...

AD For 2nd And 3rd Shift MLS?????
Nov 20, 2013

Has anyone applied for these jobs?  She has had the ad for quite some time I see up there.  Does anyone know the name of the company?  I am looking for something part time, but don't know if I should even bother. ...

Which Do You Think Is The Best Shift
Jan 30, 2014

nm ...

Day Shift Possible Anywhere?
Dec 10, 2014

Totally unhappy with current company, but do love my shift.  Most jobs advertised are for 2nd and 3rd shift.  Anyone know of companies that would hire for very early morning or possible split shifts?  Too old at this time to think about trying night shift, but could do some evenings.  Don't mind weekends at all. Any info helpful.  TIA ...

Second-Shift MTs
Jan 07, 2015

I was just curious if there is any correalation between working 2nd shift and being unable to get to sleep at night? I have been having trouble sleeping lately and wondering if it could be due to the fact that I have been staying on later typing? Wondering if its making it harder for me to sleep because its taking so long for my brain to unwind? Anyone else have this problem? Advice appreciated. Thanks! ...

Pay/shift
Feb 19, 2015

Is there a shift that is better when working with Nuance?   ...

What Is A Split Shift? (nm)
Nov 28, 2009

x ...

Pay For 1 MME Shift With 90% ESL Dictators
Dec 20, 2009

About 1/3 of those 100% QA reports were done by ILPs.  Total average earnings per hour:  a little over 4 $, but  I will be paid at my state's minimum wage.  Before my in-house hospital job was outsourced to an MTSO that kept the work in the country for 2 years and then sent it to India, I was being paid 19 $ an hour and also had great benefits and PTO.   When did this "profession" turn into a minimum wage job ?  (actually, half of minimum wage if ...

Third Shift Employees
Feb 16, 2010

As I am getting no work during the day shift anymore, I have the chance to go third shift Sun-Thursday (11-7), either that or find a new job (yeh right), or do ASR (done it at this company, no thanks to returning there).  I have never worked that one before.  How/when do you sleep?  Any other pros/cons about this shift?  Thaniks your your advice.    ...

Question For Third Shift MTs...
Jun 14, 2010

I have been working third shift for about three months and am still having some trouble getting used to it.  My question is do you work your shift then go to sleep or do you stay up until later in the afternoon and then sleep until your shift starts.  I work a 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. and am trying to find the best way to be able to stay awake during my shift.  I do not drink coffee.  I have tried some of those energy drinks that are sugar free, which helped some, just now wond ...