A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do your fingers reach in the manner described in the latest productivity hint email? - dnr

Posted: Oct 15, 2013

I must have much smaller hands, because I cannot reach the keys in the manner described for the right hand. Unfortunately, I already use the other tips and use the right + left hand for shortcuts, and only thing that makes any difference is the quality of the output. I don't use the DQS expander. Can you put heading formatting short cuts in it, i.e., heading + hightlight + Ctl H? I use the old program Short Cut instead. I could put the old style heading formatting codes (/>), but I haven't had luck with the Ctl H as it tends to push the output underneath the formatted heading into the heading format which means an extra step.

Seriously, I doubt Shaw - has ever touched a keyboard

[ In Reply To ..]
The way my keyboard is made, there is no way for my right thumb and pinky to rest on it.

It works for my keyboard - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
My arrow keys are at the lower right side of my keyboard just to the right of the Ctrl key so this tip might actually help. I'm going to try it and see. It can't hurt. I also use the expansions. Of course, since we don't do straight typing very much I rarely have an opportunity to use them anymore.

Its not the keyboard - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Its the constant crappy output by ASR...but I guess I am just a complainer.

I have brachydactyly so it's not physically possible - for me to do what

[ In Reply To ..]
he described. Guess i'll never make it into the employee newsletter, huh? Gag me.

Do your fingers - smmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't do the left hand, but I do have hand/elbow problems on that side. I have a Logitech ergonomic keyboard because I can't use a standard keyboard.

It seems to me.... - CB

[ In Reply To ..]
that the productivity suggestions are all tips to work around the negatives of this VR program. For instance, the drop-down headings are so cumbersome that one productivity tip is not to use them and another "tip" is how to deal with the awkward finger positions required. I haven't transitioned to Fluency yet, but can't understand how a program that makes you move your hands back and forth from the CTRL and arrow keys to the home keys every time you want to make a correction is efficient.

The most productive platform I've used allowed MTs to keep their hands on the home keys, used the thumb on ALT instead of awkward CTRL, and arrow directions were built into keystroke shortcuts. You never had to move your hands from the home keys when editing the document. I've re-programmed these shortcuts with AutoHotKey to use in Futurenet currently (and an M*Modal-based program previously), and am hoping I can do the same when we transition to Fluency.

i think the most time cummulative time consuming task - is ignorning headers that arent

[ In Reply To ..]
"standards" even though some I have to use in ever single report. For instance I do rehab notes and more than one dictator dictates a therapy heading. I have to ignore it on ever single spell check. I wish we could add these to our list like you do the spellchecked words.
Glad I'm not the only weirdo in the village... - using AutoHotKey!
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, my friend, thank you.

:)

Edit: Ooops, meant to reply to the next one above, sorry!
AHK - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Me three for AHK
It's invaluable - CB
[ In Reply To ..]
The first day I trained on an M*Modal based program and realized how MT unfriendly it was, I researched and discovered AutoHotKeys. Love it, although the fact that we have to create our own shortcuts just to make their VR program more efficient is crazy.
How do you use autohotkey? TIA - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
I should use it for more than I do. - Just been lazy.
[ In Reply To ..]
I use it as my expander. Because I am cheap and don't want to spend any money on a "proper" expander. But I find it is very adequate as an expander and fast to boot.

I also use it to automate google lookups - highlight the word, press a special combination of keys, and it fires off the google search for me.

I know I should use it for more things, but like I said, I have been lazy!
how did you learn how to write the task scripts - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
Never really bothered to learn - I hack the scripts I find! - Started off with basic AHK documentation.
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't remember if I found the scripts on the AHK site, or on a website called ProductivityTalk. But I just take other people's scripts, open in edit mode, and hack, hack away. If I weren't so lazy I would learn it properly.

A VERY basic example line in my expander script looks like this:
::aacoo::as a consequence of

the first thing after the :: is the thing to replace, and thing after the second :: is the replacement.

But you can use this program far more cleverly than this. You can replace any combination of keystrokes and function keys and map it to some other keystrokes, or even create custom functions, like highlighting a word and doing a google search. I think the script I found was called Grabber.ahk that did the Google search (amongst other websites that you could do searches with).
I learned on the site mentioned above (Productivity Talk) - CB
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't use AutoHotKeys for expansion because I have InstantText for that. I use it to remap keystrokes for commands to replace arrows, page up/page down, replace and delete, etc. For example, to navigate in the document, I have programmed ALT + J to perform the same function as the left arrow, and ALT + K to perform the same function as the right arrow.

You just have to remember not to use keystrokes or other ALT combinations that are already part of the VR program you are using.

I can reach, but I spend more time with my fingers on the rest of the keys... - 40hrweek15hrPay

[ In Reply To ..]
because I have to completely redo most of the report. Being paid so much less for editing ASR is criminal. Even if it did recognize 99.6% (lol) .... we have to 100% proof to the audio and read every word and ... THINK... which this company chooses to call "inactive time."

so annoyed with the white noise issue... which I think - is all the static!

[ In Reply To ..]
I couldn't stand any more noise! The background noise of nurses cackling and the extreme static I hear on every report is enough noise already that I can't hear the dictator. If I turned on a fan, I'd have to blank the whole report instead of the half I have to now!

Do you think any of them have ever listened to a report before?

dqs expander headings - yes

[ In Reply To ..]
You just highlight the heading, open up the expander list and save it. It's so much easier than Shortcuts. I hated Shortcuts.

Similar Messages:

Latest Keystrokes Email
Aug 31, 2011

Wow, did everyone get the email sent at 5:05 this evening, which was 6:05 my time.  A lot of BS sprinkled with "we love yous" and "by the way, you aren't getting paid until Friday" and "Its all the office manager's fault because I don't take responsibility for my own actions" love note.  "We are in a steady growth mode" and "we had to change pay dates because we can't get our stuff together enough to do invoices on time" and "we are super and you are lucky to w ...

Latest Email From Corporate
Aug 23, 2013

He must have been working late into the evening working on perfecting his email.  So after so proudly revising the out of work policy just 2 weeks ago, it is apparently already outdated. ...

More On Productivity Email
Jun 20, 2012

Questions on understanding this productivity report.  I believe the "Your gross SR lines per hour" is the MModal calculation of our production for that week.  Is this correct? If so, why is my weekly calculation quite a bit higher than theirs? Also, apparently the average MT production is 195 lph.  Do most of you average this much?   ...

Did Everyone Get The Latest Email About DocQ 5.16 Update?
Mar 03, 2010

Talk about micromanage!  Are you kidding me?  We will be locked out if we don't work our exact shift?  There has to be a 15-30 minute grace period.  I am surprised that there are not a flood of posts about this on this forum already.    I about fell off my chair when I read this.  I am very good about working my shift, but sometimes start 10-15 min early or 10-15 min late.  Gosh, sometimes get stuck on the potty in the morning for a few extra m ...

Question On Productivity Email
Jun 19, 2012

They give your gross SR lph and your net SR lph and also average gross SR lph and average net SR lph.  By the average lph, do they mean what most people do?  ...

New Productivity Email With Audio Replay Count
Sep 12, 2012

To think that they have such a clueless idea of what editing is that they count how many times you replay the audio and count it against you.  The ASR that they test this crud on must be perfect and the dictators must be perfect also.  They have no idea what the reality of their ASR is.   Use of highlighter is now figured in also!?  That thing is annoying and slows me way down, very distracting.   All the suits need to be fired and replaced with MTs with business degre ...

I Wonder If This Is A Hint...
Aug 29, 2011

I was one of those who would read the horrible stuff on here about MQ and I doubt all of the negativity.  Since I started working at home 10 yrs ago, my original company merged w/ a few others, but I still loved my job, always had work, and was paid almost 6x what I am now since I was bought by this company.  Ran out of work again today (6th day in a row).  My CCM advised me to start taking PTO for the NJA time.  Since I've been around for awhile and am tier 4, wonder if ...

Can Someone Give Me A Hint How To Get Into
Nov 16, 2013

Have the link just misplaced my user name and password somewhere..and really dont want to talk to Phil in India this morning ...

Hint To The Doctors Out There
Oct 07, 2014

If you think an American sounds funny, chances are YOU have an accent. Slow down and stop rattling along, especially labs and lab values, very hard to understand when you get on a roll. ...

Ulcer Debrided In A Demyelinating Manner?
Apr 10, 2012

It actually sounds more like "ulcer debrided in a s/l dermolating manner," but I have no idea.  This doc often slurs, mixes words and makes up words, so I'm clueless here.  This is for a wound care doc in an ortho clinic. Does demyelinating manner make any sense?  Thanks!! ...

Both Groins And Abdomen Were Prepped And Draped In The Usual Manner From SM
Jan 26, 2010

the midthigh to the s/l "zif-fus" sternum.  ...

Does Anyone Else Have Days Where You Just Want To Reach Through
Dec 27, 2009

your monitor and deck a dictator?  I am getting the same 3 or 4 docs, over and over today.  They are all your run-in-the-mill dictators, dictate too fast and slur a bit, but I can usually deal with them and it does not bother me much.  Today, I don't know if it is me or them, but they are just TERRIBLE!  They all seem to be slurring much worse than normal, talking even faster than usual through the entire document, and now they all seem to be yawning and they continue to ...

How Long Does It Take To Reach 300 To 400 Lph On ASR? Sm
Mar 11, 2010

I have been doing this for a month and I still cannot get past about 225 an hour.  I am either doing things wrong in my opinion or this is for the birds and I should just go back to straight typing!  Any help?  Thanks ...

Ever Wish You Could Reach Through Your Headseat
May 18, 2010

and choke the idiot on the other end?  I have this guy who has spent the last 4 minutes saying, Let me restate that...Go back...Wait..yeah. Uh, no... Let me go back.  Stopped talking for a few seconds and then started almost completely from the beginning.  Then he said, I think I already said that, so don't... THEN to someone else in the room, he says,  Yeah, but if don't, they type it like 5 times.  They probably will anyway. I am so steamed!  Who i ...

ASR Fingers
Sep 15, 2010

Just typing along doing my thing.  At end of report no redundant skip marker for "end of report blah blah....type in corrected text, highlight, redundant marker not working..soo I do it again.  I figured it just was not working as sometimes highlighting and placing a skip marker does not work.  I finally realized I actually typed a report and was not editing.  That is why it was not working.. I don't mind ASR editing, except for that fact that it is slave labor, but doe ...

My Ten Fingers
Mar 02, 2011

Does anybody have any info on this company? Thanks! ...

My 10 FIngers
Mar 08, 2011

Does anyone know anything about My 10 Fingers Transcription?  If so, what are your thoughts?  Thanks ...

If I Could Reach Through The Phone, Id Smack Ya
Jun 19, 2012

x ...

Still Not In...Unable To Reach Server
Nov 11, 2013

NM ...

UNABLE TO REACH THE SERVER
Jun 02, 2015

Any one else? ...

Occipital Nerve Block, Kenalog Injected In A S/l "fan Ship" Manner. SM
Jul 31, 2014

A 25-gauge, 2-1/2 inch needle was then introduced and 10 mL of 1% lidocaine along with 40 mg of Kenalog was then injected in a "fan ship" manner. ...

Getting Fingers Warmed Up
Dec 17, 2009

When I start typing for the first time every day, it seems like my fingers are not as fast as my brain and want to get "tangled" because they cannot keep up.  This results in a lot of wasted time and lots of backspacing.  Do any of you experience this and if so how do you get your fingers "warmed up" before you start working? ...

Short Fingers With Lab. :)
Oct 18, 2010

Whenever I type lab, I slow down. My fingers are short and I have trouble reaching the number characters on the keyboard. I want to type lab fast too. Are there tricks that I can do to boost my typing when doing lab values? TIA :) ...

Dyslexic Fingers
May 16, 2014

ever have days when your fingers just WILL NOT hit the right keys?  I'm having one of those days.  So frustrating! ...

Does Support Have Fewer Hours Now? I Can't Reach Them. NM
Aug 12, 2010

No message ...

Now Telling Me Unable To Reach Sever!!!!!!!!!!
May 14, 2013

nm ...

Good Thing I Can't Reach Through This Computer
Apr 27, 2014

I would strangle this female doc..I HAVE to have 99.7% accuracy and you have to dictate so freaking fast you cannot even give me the courtesy to complete a word much less a sentence..take your report full of blanks..Im done. I refuse to go into the repository and assume you are saying what is in there. Not gonna happen..And Ill keep sending them through until you figure out how to speak and give me some common courtesy. ...

Fluency Down?!? Unable To Reach Server. Anyone Else.
Sep 25, 2014

x ...

Fluency Unable To Reach Server?
May 31, 2015

I know there was scheduled maintenance until 4 a.m. Eastern time.  I'm sick and up at 3 am CST...putting in for downtime!  ...

Psoriasis On The Fingers And Toes...
Aug 31, 2010

Under the physical exam,  Derm:  Dry, scaly psoriatic s/l leavings on the bilateral fingers. Nails:  No pitting.  Possible s/l onicolisis on the toes.  No capillary engorgement.   ...