A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

who is responsible for providing a HIPAA agreement - Inquiring

Posted: Mar 19, 2011

I have been doing MT for over four years now and have been working for other MTSOs. I am now ready to try to get my own contracts and have been doing lots of research, but what I can't seem to find out is who is responsible for providing a HIPAA agreement, me or the doctor (covered entity). I found on the Department of Health & Human Services website some sample contract language, but I'm just not clear if I need to put language in my contract with the doctor to cover this , or if the doctor will have something for me to sign to make sure everything is HIPAA compliant. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Inquiring, if you received advice here, could you depend - on it? You are a pro now. :) Better

[ In Reply To ..]
keep searching until you find a reliable source, then another to double check it. Make a call to tack it down. Good luck with your new enterprise.

You - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
You would have to have a "security officer" who produces HITECH and HIPAA documents for your business. YOU would be the covered entity.

HIPAA - Kathy Nicholls

[ In Reply To ..]
It will depend on your customer. Many of them have separate business associate agreements that they will want you to sign. I always think it's good to go in with the HIPAA requirements as a part of your normal contract. Your customers will probably also want to be sure you have covered all of your bases with written policies and procedures to show you are compliant, otherwise they may not want to work with you.

Okay, you CAN depend on Kathy's advice, - Better :) nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Why thanks so much! :) nm - Kathy Nicholls

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thank you! - Inquiring

[ In Reply To ..]
I knew there had to be someone out there who has dealt with this. Thanks so much for your input!

Similar Messages:

Who Is Responsible For Adding The Templates?
Sep 13, 2013

Who is responsible for adding the templates?  I am finding a lot of errors lately in these when I pull them in.  For instance, spacing.  Several, if not many, are only single spaced between the end of a sentence and the next and only 1 space after a colon.  Yet another thing to slow us down.  Got "dinged" for pulling one in and not changing.  I assumed (yes we all know what happens when you assume).  That will never happen again if I can help it.  Also noticing 1 space between state ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

Nuance Is Responsible For All Of Its Products Out In The Marketplace.
Dec 02, 2013

Responsible for all, not simply what is accomplished by the employees in healthcare at Nuance. ...

Agreement?
Dec 29, 2011

Hi After having a bad expereince where a doctor didnt pay me I need to have a signed agreement.  Does anyone know where i might obtain a sample agreement/contract? thanks   ...

Verb Agreement...
Apr 22, 2010

I was wondering if I should change the verbs in this paragraph so they are all the same tense.  "He understood and agreed to proceed. On the left lateral decubitus position, the patient was sedated...video colonoscope is advanced into the rectum and up to about 30 cm. Soft solid stool is encountered at this point...scope was slowly withdrawn..."  Should I change these so they match or leave it the way he dictated it? ...

None Compete Agreement
Jun 30, 2011

One more morning, and I've logged in to find no work.  Granted, it's the end of a pay period and folks have probably been up all night trying to capitalize on what few lines there have been.  Management is pretty tight lipped these days.  Just lost my longest best account recently.  That really sucked. . .  This is getting desperate, because unless some work comes in today -- I won't make my lines for another pay period (this will be the third in a row). ...

Ivs Slip ???? To Rule Out Monoclonal Gammopathy; Also Responsible For His High Creatinine.
Jul 29, 2011

Cannot find what kind of test doc is saying.  Any help would be appreciated!   ...

Providing Salary History
Feb 02, 2012

I am looking for work and notice some companies ask for a salary history.  I feel uncomfortable about this, not sure why, but I think it is to their advantage to know this info, not mine.  In my case, I worked for my last company for 5 years with one raise and the companies before that are ancient history.  How would one handle this.  I am not even sure if I have that info on some of my companies.  Why do they want this info? ...

Are Your Employers Providing Training For ICD-10?
Sep 01, 2013

Are your employers providing training for ICD-10.  If so, what kind?   ...

Business Associate Agreement
Nov 14, 2014

Does anyone know where to get a free printable/downloadable Business Associate Agreement (template) that I can have my transcription subcontractors sign? It needs to be one with the 2013 Omnibus rule included. I have looked all over but can't find anything adequate yet. Thank you! ...

Any MTSO Still Providing Computers?
Apr 03, 2015

Other than Precyse? ...

Is It Legal To Ask A Person To Sign An Agreement Stating They Sm
Apr 04, 2013

will not comment about a company, including their payroll practices, here or on any social media? I know why the stipulation is there, since the company has not paid on time EVER and they were trashed here because of it, but if someone comes on the board and asks about the company, I would feel it within my rights to warn that person that if you need a reliable pay day, this is not the place. I have until Saturday to decide if I sign this document. I'm thinking about walking away anyway. ...

A Tool Providing Anonimity On Line For Those Who Are Afraid Of Retaliation
Dec 04, 2014

I have noticed that there is a lot of fear among workers here when it comes to reporting any suspected illegal or even unethical activity on the part of their employer.  Therefore, I will put you onto a tool that might help.  It's called TOR and it was developed by the US Government to help people in places like Iran post on line without fear of repercussions from oppressive governments.  This tool not only allows people to browse the Internet annonymously, it allows users to ...

Well, So Much For HIPAA Law
Feb 04, 2011

My husband went in to have blood tests done for a new blood pressure medication he is on and when he left the house to get an RX filled, the nurse from the doctor's office called to tell him the results of his blood tests. Out of curiosity (testing the HIPAA thing), I asked her if his potassium level was okay and SHE TOLD ME that all his levels were fine except blood sugar was a little high! Not only that, I then asked her what new medication had been prescribed and SHE TOLD ME THAT ALSO! M ...

HIPAA
Nov 23, 2012

I failed to cc a physician they said so I got a 3.0 deduction on a dictation.  First one I have ever got.  I haven't got an email or anything yet.  I just saw it on one of my corrections.  I haven't gotten anything from FIESA yet. ...

Has Anyone Done The HIPAA Training?
Jan 03, 2010

Has anyone done the HIPAA training?  How was the test? ...

HIPAA Test
Jan 10, 2010

Could some kindly let me know where the HIPAA test is located in MQCentral.  Thanks! ...

Understanding HIPAA
Jan 21, 2010

I am trying to get a grasp on understanding HIPAA.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find "easy-to-understand" HIPAA rules?  I have a doct that I type his documents in Word and print them to letterhead for him and then hand-deliver them myself to his office.  Is this breaking HIPAA rules?  I just need to know what I have to be doing to be HIPAA-compliant and not aware of the facts.  Thanks for any input! ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

Question About HIPAA
May 29, 2010

I had to take my 18 year old daughter to the ER the other night because she cut her finger (not seriously thank goodness).  Being a medical transcriptionist I was rather surprised, she was not given any type of HIPAA form to sign, was not told anything about HIPAA, I thought everyone had to sign one.  I always have received a form when I went to the doctor or the hospital but she signed absolutely nothing.  Is this something new or is it a HIPAA violation since she did not sign an ...

People PLEASE...it Is HIPAA
Jun 16, 2010

Writing to your congressman and complaining to your companies about HIPPA makes you look like an idiot. ...

HIPAA And Archiving
Feb 28, 2011

I've searched and searched and can't find an answer.  Is there a HIPAA rule that dictates how long voice files, particularly voice recognition files, are supposed to be kept in archive?  Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction   ...

HIPAA Violations ...
Apr 01, 2011

First of all....isn't any medical report being typed out of our country by a another country that isn't required to follow HIPAA regulations.....well a HIPAA violation?  Not to mention a potential homeland security risk! Secondly, is anyone else bothered by being instructed to type the patient's name in the body of a report?  According to HIPAA regulations, the patient's name is NOT to be typed in the body of any medical report.  We are all violating HIPAA by doing this ...

HIPAA VIOLATIONS
Jun 13, 2012

So, my ex-husband of 15 years called my and my son's doctor's office and gets all of our medical and billing information (son is 21).  Takes those documents and files suit in court against me using the documents he obtained fraudulently to claim that I have lied about the cost of our son's medical bills (he has been ordered three times to to pay 50% of those costs which only amount to about $2,800).  Y'all get that?  He committed fraud in order to prove that I have committ ...

IC HIPAA Issue
Aug 29, 2013

Feel the need to address certain posts "..and there are no such places as you describe any longer. I have been working for an MTSO that treats their ICs as employees without all the "benefits," but also looking for something else along the way. I have not found ONE...not ONE service that takes true ICs any longer." This is called painting with a very broad brush. How can you claim that as accurate? Saying 'no such places' means you have literally checked into, inquired and e ...

HIPAA Rules
Oct 08, 2013

When a consultant's office calls the referred patient, is that office allowed to say the name of their office?  Ex:  Got a call from a GI office for my husband.  The woman gave her first name and said she needed his medical hx before she could schedule an appointment.  I asked what office she was from, and she said she couldn't say because of HIPAA but that it was a referral from his PCP.  Is it true that because of HIPAA we can't even know who's ...

HIPAA Violation...
Nov 11, 2013

I posted earlier about a HIPAA violation I believe the company I am subcontracting for is committing. I'm considering filing a complaint, but not sure what this would entail. Before I go too far into it, has anyone filed a complaint against an 'employer,' for lack of a better term, as I am a subcontractor & not an employee? This issue is weighing heavily on my mind. I do have proof of emails sent back and forth that are not encrypted or secured in any way containing reports with t ...

Win XP And HIPAA Violations? (sm)
Apr 08, 2014

What fines could MTSOs be faced with for HIPAA violations in requiring their employees to use Win XP, which is no longer HIPAA compliant?  I wonder if it might be worth an increase in line rate to keep our mouths shut.  ;o) ...

HIPAA Compliant?
Apr 23, 2014

From what I am hearing, if you have an XP computer, you are not HIPAA compliant. It violates regulatory requirements. Then why is MM not supplying us with Windows 7? My XP computer they gave me was freezing up, so they sent me another XP. I asked them why they didn't send me Windows 7 and they said XP was cheaper. So now as of April 8, they are not HIPAA compliant. I would like to know how they get around this,,,,,,having many accounts and still having many employees submitting reports u ...

HIPAA Training
Jan 27, 2015

I get why they do these webinar things, but honestly, the person narrating sounds like she herself is bored. I try to follow it, take notes, but know deep down that when I do the test very little of it will have been absorbed, so am resigned to taking the test any number of times. It's kind of like watching a weather report you are waiting for, yet then when it comes on you realize you have completely blanked and it's over. I have a real problem focusing on webinars. ...