A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

p/t MT work in addition to f/t job? - T

Posted: Jan 13, 2015

Are there any MTSOs who will allow you the flexibility to work p/t around a f/t job schedule?  I'm okay with working 25 hours minimum as long as I can set my own schedule for evenings & weekends.  Just wondering if that's even a possibility before I start making inquiries.

Answer - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't say whether you have MT experience or not. If you don't, the answer is you won't get a job with any MTSO, full or part time.

If you have experience, etc., MTSOs would probably jump at the evenings and weekends schedule--if they're hiring.

I'm assuming that you've researched the field (if not worked in it) and that MTSOs are offshoring to India which leaves us dry here in the U.S. When there is work here, it pays really bad.

Some experience, but rusty (more) - the OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Received M-Tec diploma 4 years ago and worked briefly p/t for a MTSO after that. The queue was often empty and I was required to be logged on regardless, so I couldn't even leave the house if I had no work to do. I finally quit.

My reasons for wanting to try again - my f/t company may be leaving the area. I want to gain experience to try to get a MT job at my hospital (pays well, good benefits), or other office work there. I'm hoping the MT experience now, even if low pay, may benefit me later if/when I lose my current job.

hospital still has transcription - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
Your lucky if your hospital still has transcription and it just count that is may not soon as most hospitals send their transcription to MTSO company. A lot of us would love to go back and work in the hospital. Hourly pay, PTO, insurance, ahhh a thing of the past.

I See - Well...

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you would probably pull your hair out trying to get decent experience with an MTSO. The queue was low then, and it's low now. Granted, you stand a better shot at late afternoon/early evening hours (the Indians are sound asleep)in terms of getting work, but I think you'll find the work extremely difficult.

Definitely do not count on getting an hourly hospital job. If you happen to get one, it won't last long---they are going to MTSOs big time, as well as EMR. And from what I hear, hospitals that still hire MTs, don't necessarily pay them by the hour---some have started production pay.

I would look for non-MT work if I were you. Retail stores and restaurants are always needing weekend and evening hours.

If you're fairly young, then maybe use your time off to take classes or go back to school for a degree.

Yep if you work as an independent contractor. - also employee if you are..see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
looking for evenings and weekend work, most hire for that employee or independent contractor. Only difference is with employee status you pretty much have to take the hours they give you, which are usually in the evenings anyway.

Similar Messages:

Addition To Question
Jun 07, 2011

I figured out why they didn't post before so please don't get mad. ...

In Addition To Lock Out Notice
Jun 01, 2011

e-mail contains following:  "If you tuly cannot work because you are sick-you need to either immediately go in an put in a PTO request or you need to let me know the times and dates you are going to be making up your time." Not only are we expected to work within 15 minutes of our shift, but now we also must plan our illnesses! ...

In Addition To Commenting On CEO Article
Aug 02, 2011

If you comment on the article, the only people to see it will be those specifically looking for that article in yesterday's Tennessean.  What I would hope to happen is that everyone who wrote a reply to the article would copy your response and send it to the Tennessean's Letters to the Editor Section.  That way, your response will be seen by many more people.  Or...copy the link and send it to your local paper/TV station! Wouldn't hurt for people around the country ...

Addendum/Addition/Additionally ??
Nov 02, 2011

I'm not sure what the doctor is saying b/c he's speaking too fast. Before the following sentence he says Addendum (possible subheading), Addition or Additionally. "The end of operation is satisfactory." He talks about closing the wound before this and talks about estimated blood loss after this. Any ideas?? Thanks! ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...