A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

life's ups and downs and my summer night with jon bon jovi! - perkie

Posted: Aug 03, 2010

Hello girls. If you all remember my WONDERFUL husband got me tickets for us to see Bon Jovi at Solider Field for Christmas. I FINALLY go to use them Friday night. Woweeee!

Just some background on what is going in with my family....

My husband is an electrician who got laid off in January....still not back to work.

Making COBRA payments to keep insurance....sheesh.

12-year-old daughter needs braces....$5000 with $500 downpayment due initially.

My father-in-law was diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic esophageal carcinoma with mets to leg bone and throat lymph nodes in April. Chemo not working, spreading rapidly.

So needless to say life in our household has pretty much sucked.

BUT Friday night I got to use my Christmas gift FINALLY.......and let me tell you it was absolutely wonderful. We were there for about five hours. They had an opening band called 7th Heaven who won a battle of the bands in Chicago and beat 600 other bands. They were really quite good and played for about an hour.

Kid Rock opened up and play for about an hour also. I have never been a big fan but he put on a great show and won me over by the end.

Then after 25 years of waiting.........Bon Jovi played for 2-1/2 hours. Definitely got our $ worth. They did all of my favorite songs:

BORN TO BE ME BABY, ALWAYS, BED OF ROSES, ETC. and all of the big hits. They did 24 songs in all. Wow.

We were in section B2 which is on about the 40 yard line of Soldier Field about 150 feet from the stage. Great seats!

We are already making plans to save for the next time they come around as my 12 years old was very jealous and wants to go the next time around (I guess I have raised her right : ).

Anyway that is about it. So for one warm summer evening in June amisdt all of the horrible things going on in my life I was able to forget them as Jon sang to me and lifted my spirits unibelievably high!

If you have been to see them please share! I would love to hear your story!

Haven't been to see them, but I loved your story! - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
What a fun night in the midst of all the other "yuck" that's going on in your life. Thanks for sharing that. It sounds like you made some lifelong memories there.

Sorry to hear about your FIL. Hope his course is easy.

Great story! Right now.... - Old part-timer

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm hooked on his video performing Hallelujah on You Tube. I've watched it countless times!

Hallelujah! - perkie

[ In Reply To ..]
I LOVE it when they do that song! They did not do it Friday night. I think it says a lot when a musician can sing someone else's song with such heart and sincerity. AHHHHHH.......... now I am going to have to pull up the You Tube! Thanks!

Happy for you - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I enjoy Kid Rock and Bon Jovi myself. I am glad you had a wonderful time as it sounds like you needed to have time for yourself. I will be listening to Charlie Daniels and Lynyrd Skynyrd tonight down on the waterfront of my hometown in Maine. They have a series of outdoor concerts planned this year one of which includes Alan Jackson whom I also am a fan of. You have my blessings as you deal with your father-in-law. Today marks the 2nd month anniversary of my dad's passing whom had terminal cancer so I know what you will be dealing with in the near future. One thing I have learned in the last year is we all need to make time for ourselves and enjoy life to its fulliest - it is good for our mental health.

I got to see him too - Livewire

[ In Reply To ..]
about 2 years ago in Denver and yes he is amazing!!!! I too am dying to see him again!!! My sister and I flew to Denver to see him. Just me and her. No one else! No kids, no husbands, no laundry, no dishes, and most importantly, NO TRANSCRIPTION!!!!!!! It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us both!!!!! :)

Similar Messages:

Computer Slow Downs?
Mar 18, 2011

Anyone else having MAJOR slow downs with the computer system over the last hour or so? ...

Pt Was Given Enema To Use The Night Before And *SIH-VA-CLEANSE* To Wash With The Night Before????
Feb 12, 2011

Sippacleanse? Sivacleanse? Supercleanse? I have searched and searched...thanks in advance!!! Not usually on OB/GYN... ...

Okay It's Mid Summer
Jul 17, 2012

they said early summer but I think we can safely say it's mid summer now.  Where's the compensation plan? ...

Summer Break
May 28, 2010

How do other mothers deal with summer break when their kids are out of school as far as working for a company?  Do some companies let you have summers off and then return in the fall?  Do some MTs change their schedules around possibly doing work at night, etc?  Any companies better about this than others? ...

Whew! By The End Of This Summer I Will Be Done With MT!!!
Jun 19, 2010

I just accepted a job as an office manager in the medical field.  It took a lot of work to find a good job that did not feel like a step down, but I did it.  There is hope out there folks.  There are people that value the skills and expertise that a medical transcriptionist can bring to a company!  If you are fed up with this field, press on!  There are options out there for us.   ...

$11/hour For HS Students In Summer Jobs
Oct 14, 2011

Are we worth more than a high school student in a temporary summer job because $11/hour is what they get paid in at least one of the cities here.  Pretty sad, isn't it? ...

Is There Anyone Out There Who Signed Up For Supplemental Insurance Through Colonial Last Summer
Jan 03, 2013

I called them today and I am still insured with them.  So, unless this is an error on the person I talked to, my next paycheck will have deductions for that insurance in addition to the deductions for the new 2013 Nuance insurances which are through other vendors. Does anyone know about this?  Our policies with Colonial should have been cancelled by Nuance. ...

Is It Common To Have A Limited Amount Of Work During The Summer Season?
Aug 05, 2012

I'm curious if this is throughout a lot of MT companies where the summer seasons are the slowest in terms of receiving work. I used to have an abundunt amount of doctors to transcribe for across multiple accounts, but now all of a sudden that has changed, and I am almost always out of work and I no longer transcribe for what I'm estimating as half to 3/4 of the list of docs. Is this something normal? Do doctors get together and take a 3-month hiatus at once, or something...? I'm p ...

Well, I Did It. I Enrolled For Summer Semester. I Am Entering The Rad Tech Program At My Local Col
Apr 13, 2010

After years of thinking about going back to school and then talking myself out of it because I didn't want to face college again at age 40, I decided I need more job security, better pay and growth potential.  So I filled out the financial aid forms, enrolled in a couple of classes for the summer, and here I go.  I'm a little nervous actually.  Been a loooooonnng while since I sat in a classroom, took notes, and took exams.  My retention isn't wh ...

Suggested Summer Reading For MTs - - Regarding 'how The World Turns Today/globalization And How
Jun 19, 2010

I left my employer of TEN YEARS, the subject of this particular forum, on April 27 after months of dealing with being in what felt like "a constant state of shock" -- while I watched my income plummet, my work pool grow from 2 basic primary hospitals and one seconday to about 25 different hospitals and clinics; it was to the point where I never felt like I knew what I was doing.  I was always working in a "different state/city/local region" where all the adjunctive medical facilit ...

Is It True That Employees At Amphion Had To Work Mandatory OT All Summer Long?
Jan 29, 2011

Wow.  That stinks.  I like to enjoy my summers.  I was thinking about applying to them, but I don't know now.  I've heard about the same amount of negatives that I've heard positives about this company...  Any other opinions out there?    ...

How Did My Life Get So Bad
Feb 01, 2014

Yes I have known for quite awhile the end is near for MT but I don't know what I'm going to do now.   20 years ago I was the envy of the medical record department, the lead transcriptionist that everyone thought was so smart, and I made more than almost anyone in the entire hospital.  Now I just feel stupid.  I keep wondering how my life got so bad.  It's so easy to say go back to school! learn a different skill! and I know some my age (55) have done that, ...

New Life
May 25, 2015

Happy Memorial Day!  I think I may be starting a new life for myself.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past fourteen years for a neurologist. With his new EMR system he decided to do it himself. I have had an awful time trying to find a new job. These big companies are just brutal-on my self esteem as well.  My husband is in the healthcare field and he mentioned to me coding and I had just been thinking to myself about what could I go back to school for but couldn&# ...

Life After Transcription
Mar 22, 2010

I have just turned 52 the other day and seem to be developing quite a bit of pain in my hands and wondering if any one knows of a good career path for me to head into besides typing.  ...

Life Beyond MedQuist
Aug 11, 2011

Wish I lived in Massachusetts.  There is life beyond MedQuist.  Job Post I just ran across:  Manager of Medical Transcription About the Job Minimum of 5-10 years transcription needed, plus minimum of 7 years supervisory experience. Knowledgeable about MedQuist platform, able to train physicians on MedQuist dictation system and electronic signature. Day position with occasional weekends. Manager must be current in transcription abilities, ability to set up certain templates, ...

Medquist Has Taken Away My Life
Oct 13, 2011

My accounts just went 100% ASR with no email warning or team meeting!  It takes too long to edit these jobs because ASR is the worst!  It seems that ASR is better at ESL docs than people who have a wonderful American accent and it takes longer to edit people who speak perfect English.  They have messed with me so much.  I have 4 babies to take care of and can barely make rent.  Foodstamps only gives us food and I have no extra money for things like electricity and i ...

Thinking About My Life
Mar 16, 2012

After reading the last few threads, I have been asking myself some hard questions. Why do I continue in this job that I clearly hate? I can't make ends meet, I am bored, and I know I am being taken advantage of, so why do I make the choice to stay? I try to continually remind myself I have a choice. No one is forcing me to do this job. I can quit or do something else. I feel the same as the rest of you, slave labor, boring VR, no respect for our skills and talents and we should be pai ...

Life After Epic
Oct 19, 2012

Hi all, The hospital I work for will start using Epic next year.  From everything I have read, I understand that transcription will most likely be cut in half.  For those of you have gone through this already, have you seen any other jobs created AFTER Epic?  I know there may be editing, but should we expect anything else?   ...

A Day In The Life Of An MT - Priceless.
Jan 03, 2013

want a good laugh?     ...

Sucking The Life Out Of Me
Feb 03, 2014

I can't get through 2 hours without some major technical issue that prevents me from completing a report. The support department is sorely lacking in helping. When I do hear from them they have a cocky attitude and basically tell me they can't do a thing to help. I can't get out of here quick enough. WORST company I've ever worked for. No concern for employees and demands exceed reality! ...

Life Expectancy Of MT
Mar 12, 2014

With all this talk about the coding offer, what do you all think is the life expectancy of the current MTs? How quickly are we going to be phased out in favor of coders? Do you think MM will keep a skeleton crew of MTs on board and, if so, how will they be chosen? Do we hang on for however long and, once we're laid off, then collect unemployment? Or do we jump ship now? ...

Yes, Virginia, There Is Life After MM
Aug 03, 2014

In the last 5 months, I have been fired from MM after 16 years of dedicated service on my part (95.5% audit, buh-bye), have collected UE, applied for hundreds (literally) of jobs in the large metro area in which I live, cried on my husband's shoulder (the kindest and best of men) and helped take care of my ailing 92-year-old mom (what a sweetie). In the last month, my mom passed away (worried about me, not herself). In the last 10 days, my young dachshund passed away from lymphoma (e ...

Life After MMoral
Aug 29, 2014

Hello All, I quit on Dec 31st (new year, new life), couldn't stand working for MMoral another day.  It has been a long, hard 8 months (live in a rural area) with many resumes sent and many interviews.  I have been interviewing with Amazon for one of their Fulfillment Centers here in Southern California since June 21st (my first contact with them).  I received a contingency offer letter from them the other day (contingent on passing background check and drug test).  I c ...

Life After Transcription TIA
Sep 06, 2014

Hey all, after 10 years of being an MT, I'm thinking about jumping this sinking ship.  Unfortunately, I can't bear the thought of working outside the home again.  Is there any job out there that I can do at home that isn't a scam and is stable?  Or, if I have to work outside the home, what jobs are out there that my experience would complement?  I'm starting to get anxious with how things are going with MModal, my current employer, and waiting for that ax.  TIA ...

Life After Nuance???
Oct 09, 2014

Tried to leave a couple of times, companies I went to got bought out by Nuance.  Ready to try again.  I know no company is perfect, but Fiesa and their additional layers of QA are driving me insane.  They probably aren't too worried about losing MTs, after all they have enough QA and QC to handle it all don't they? My question is whether you have found it to be a good thing to jump ship and start over again with another company.  Have been considering Keystrokes bu ...

Life Insurance
Nov 18, 2014

Does Nuance deduct from paycheck for their life insurance benefit? I don't remember applying for it. ...

Life After Transcription?
Feb 18, 2015

What or where would you turn for employment if you are finally at the end of your rope with transcription?  I swear I do not have it in me to keep starting over when these positions of ours/mine, work hard, only for the accounts to be ripped out from under.. leaving you fighting for lines or looking elsewhere and having to start over!!  I have been doing this for so long that I feel sick and anxious, unsure where to even look for a job "outside"..... there, I said it.... OUT..SIDE... o ...

Thank You For Posting About Your Life With N
Apr 04, 2015

I left my "job" at N last fall and have now been with my new employer long enough to begin to have some complaints about how things are done/not done.  But I only need to come here to remind myself what I left when I left N, and I have to contain myself away from the desire to cover my new boss with big sloppy kisses everywhere!!!  Plus, yesterday was payday, and I have been able to replace all of the savings I ate through during my time at N.  My bank account is smiling again.&n ...

Life After Nuance
Jun 09, 2015

I quit Nuance in April.  I was apprehensive, but the patient safety compensation plan, where scoring 100% QA, but over 10% QC, droppping my pay week after week had taken its toll on me mentally.  Also, I was OOW daily.  I was certainly made to feel it was all my fault, but that is not what this post is about.  I am sure those reading this are already too aware of the stress, inconsistencies and unfairness of working for Nuance. I started a new transcription job.  Straight typing.  Hired ...

I Cannot For The Life Of Me Figure Out
Jun 13, 2015

Seriously, no disrespect, 25 year veteran here, but really.  I cannot understand why any of you who are the caliber I was, which I know is many of you, well trained, top notch, used to earn 40,000 without blinking an eye and denegrated to become minimum wage typists adhering to draconian policy.   The BEST thing I ever did was quit and immediately land a job paying 40,000 a year...simple work, not my dream job, but great benefits, they BEGGED me to take the job...even after offering m ...