A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I cannot for the life of me figure out - why any of you stay and do this?

Posted: Jun 13, 2015

Seriously, no disrespect, 25 year veteran here, but really.  I cannot understand why any of you who are the caliber I was, which I know is many of you, well trained, top notch, used to earn 40,000 without blinking an eye and denegrated to become minimum wage typists adhering to draconian policy.  

The BEST thing I ever did was quit and immediately land a job paying 40,000 a year...simple work, not my dream job, but great benefits, they BEGGED me to take the job...even after offering me a salary of 32,000 and told them, no, I need 40,000 and they did not blink an eye.  

KNOW YOUR WORTH!!  DON'T SETTLE FOR WHAT YOU'RE OFFERED. All they can tell you is No and then it's up to you. 

All I know is nothing..NOTHING is worth what this industry has become.  

you must own a magic wand - MTrauma

[ In Reply To ..]
All the local MT work is outsourced to MTSOs, as far as I can tell, and I don't know of any job I could qualify for that is salaried! 30 years exp here.

Maybe we just need to think outside the box - a bit--maybe it is not going to be MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We are bright, intelligent, detail-oriented, exceptional critically-thinking individuals to do this job as well as many of us do. I encourage everyone to step out of the box, if they can, if they can give up the work at home and some of the obstacles to a different job. I am going to make an effort to take the OP's advice and my own. My kids are getting older and old enough to adapt to a different lifestyle. At current I still make about $46,000 (55 hours a week) so I am not certain about the jump just yet, but it is just a matter of time, I am sure, and I think I had better leave before I might be considered "too" old to find something else---interesting balancing act.

I stay because I make much more than minimum wage. - LDSMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am still able to make $50,000 a year, not something I could do anywhere else, so I'm here as long as I can continue to pull off that income.

Same here I make much more here than I could anywhere - else!!!

[ In Reply To ..]
I have also worked fast food and retail. I will take this any day over those jobs!! Thankful for what I have, not thinking about what I don't have.

How? - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
If you don't mind revealing, how does one make $50K as a VR editor?

You work fast and do OT whenver possible. - LDSMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am lucky to have a great primary account and I average 350 lines per hour. I wouldn't be able to do it without OT, but I LOVE OT. It allows me to make what I need to support my family and still be at home. If anything better came along I would leave this place in a heartbeat, but in a regular 40 hour week job away from home I wouldn't be able to make the money I make here.
Doing OT and making better money is not the - answer
[ In Reply To ..]
And you are very fortunate, a lot of us are stuck with crap...My goal in life is to work as little as possible and make as much as possible..Like it used to be here, 40 hours a week and close to 40K a year..
NEVER ENDING OT - outahere
[ In Reply To ..]
I feel sorry for your family if all you do is work and spend no quality time with them. M*Model should be ashamed that they treat their MTs like work horses without taking into account that its MTs need family time just like the hot shots who demand all their time take without batting an eye.
quality time - LDSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Got rid of the abusive husband years ago, and my girls are 25, 23, and 17, and I get as much quality time with them as they allow. They have their own busy lives.

May I ask what job your in now? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Im 20 years at this and totally beat down, like an abused person. My neighbor, bless his heart, spent about 3 hours one night bringing my confidence back up to normal. I am not stupid. I absolutely can do better. I just need to myself a kick in the butt and move,,Just curious what direction I need to kick myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

I am the OP and I guess i should have made it clear - I NO LONGER WORK AS AN MT!!

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry if I mislead you thinking I quit mmodal and work as an editor raking it in..No..that is not the case. And to those of you who make 50,000 a year, not sure how you do it but kudos.

For me I took my quick thinking skills, ability to write, social media interest and I am a community manager for a medical website. And my skills were developed as a highly trained medical editor.

I also am surprised my OP received dislikes. Really? Telling highly trained individuals there is life out there with their skills is bad?

And back to the 50,000 year, willing to work a lot of OT..not that is not me. I was a very quick editor, but I was paralyzed by fear of PM, failed audits, and having to be 99.9% without error 24/7. Even though in fact, I was NEVER put on PM, the constant threat simply was too stressful and not worth it.

On second thought...sorry..not buying the 50,000/year claim. The math simply does not add up. Producing an average of 3500-4000 lines per day at 99.9% accuracy just does not seem plausible. Really don't want to get in a tit for tat war here..but no...not buying it.

I've been doing this so long I can - retire at any time

[ In Reply To ..]
That being said, I don't care one way or the other about the job, the pay, or anything else. Just waiting to get fired or get Medicare.

Similar Messages:

Orthopedics Splint - Figure-eight Or Figure-8
Apr 18, 2010

The patient has a fracture and the doctor said he "placed a figure-8 splint."  What is the correct for this: figure-8, figure-eight, figure-of-8, or figure-of-eight? ...

Figure-of-eight Or Figure-of-8 Sutures? Nm
Dec 17, 2009

nm ...

How To Figure This
Mar 10, 2010

How should I figure out lines per hour? ...

How Do You Figure Out This ????
Jul 21, 2010

I am not good in math and would like to know how you figure out which is better 7 cpl w/spaces and a 55-char. line or 8 cpl w/spaces and a 65-char. line?  I am told the 7 cpl rate uses a lot of canned text that you get paid the full amount for so this should be a plus. Anyone out there feel brainy today?  If so, thanks for your help. ...

Can't Figure Out
Aug 02, 2010

It is also important to watch for the development of delirium tremens and treat with       s/l perincual valiums if this should occur. Any suggestions would be appreciated! ...

Figure This One Out.
Nov 17, 2012

I wonder if the in-house employees, office employees, have their time as scrutinized as ours is.  I wonder if they get docked for, let's say, going to the bathroom or getting a cup of coffee.  I know the transcriptionists working in-house make $15 an hour to start.  There was a job advertised 6 months ago or so, and I questioned it.  Here is their reasoning:  Because they have to drive and wear dress clothes, they make more money.  What the #$)(.  I have t ...

Can't Figure Out Why...
Jan 03, 2013

VR just can't get the word "catheterization."  This time it said "catheter is Asian."  Good grief. ...

Trying To Figure Out A Word
Jan 13, 2010

I'm trying to figure out a word that s/l "perinif"....here is the sentence.   The pain actually radiated square across her upper abdomen, but is close to the side of her surgical ______.  I had her undergo a CT scan Thanks for any suggestions!   ...

Doesn't This Figure!
Mar 14, 2010

So, that "First Time Right/QA on Demand just started.  Wouldn't you know that as SOON as it started, I have been getting nothing but out-of-BOB accounts.  At this rate, I won't be able to stay under 10%, much less than up to 25% or more.   Up until now, was getting my primary or at least BOB accounts, I calculated carefully and figured out that while staying in my BOB, I could come under 5% most of the time.   I am really thinking they want everyone consta ...

Figure-of-x Sutures
Oct 05, 2010

Is there such a thing as figure-of-x sutures? ...

Diwali -- Last To Figure It Out
Nov 04, 2010

We were told there would be more work for the next few days.  Then I looked up what you were all talking about (Diwali).  At least now I know what happened to all our work -- it is going to India.  I simply don't understand that.  Yes, I understand the hospitals wanting to pay lower rates, but I DO NOT understand how they would put up with the poor quality of work they are surely receiving.  I am so discouraged and heart sick. ...

Can't Figure Out This Sign
May 09, 2011

Dr. is listing....Patient with 3-4 weeks of a frontal headache.  Discomfort with ROM of the neck, a lot of trapezius muscle tightness and paraspinal muscle tightness.  Positive s/l La-Rick.  ?????  HELP! ...

If You All Could Be So Kind As To Help Me Figure Out
Nov 13, 2012

I have not been with this company a full year and I know that changing my status before 6 months will affect my hire-on bonus, but how would I go about changing from full-time to part-time?  Do I tell them this is what I want to do or do I ask my TSM?  Any help you all could offer would be great!  ...

IC - How Do You Figure Your Taxes?
Sep 19, 2014

Going to be working as an IC and curious how to figure what I might need to be putting back for taxes.  I did this years ago and paid quarterly taxes, but can't remember the formula I had to use to figure what to send.  Seems like it was a percentage. ANyone direct me to where I can find out short of actually going to see an accountant.  TIA.   ...

How Did My Life Get So Bad
Feb 01, 2014

Yes I have known for quite awhile the end is near for MT but I don't know what I'm going to do now.   20 years ago I was the envy of the medical record department, the lead transcriptionist that everyone thought was so smart, and I made more than almost anyone in the entire hospital.  Now I just feel stupid.  I keep wondering how my life got so bad.  It's so easy to say go back to school! learn a different skill! and I know some my age (55) have done that, ...

New Life
May 25, 2015

Happy Memorial Day!  I think I may be starting a new life for myself.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past fourteen years for a neurologist. With his new EMR system he decided to do it himself. I have had an awful time trying to find a new job. These big companies are just brutal-on my self esteem as well.  My husband is in the healthcare field and he mentioned to me coding and I had just been thinking to myself about what could I go back to school for but couldn&# ...

S/l Wecksel Pledget - I Know I've Had This Before, But Just Can't Figure It Out. Nm
Oct 16, 2009

x ...

How To Find Or Figure Out Blanks
Oct 27, 2009

Hi, I am looking for any ideas or tips that MT's may have as to how to find or figure out blanks. Thank you. ...

Latest Layoffs, Can We Figure Out
Jun 08, 2010

from what areas? SA4/South CCM is the same, but one regional director was changed from a guy to a woman I'm not familiar with. ...

Can't Figure Out Lab Screen Abbreviation
Jan 13, 2011

Hello!  :) This segment was dictated, and I can't for the life of me figure out what is in the parentheses: "Rubella immune. Varicella immune. Hepatitis negative. RPR negative. GC/Chlamydia negative. PPD negative. (JPS/JPF/GPS/GPF) negative." Obviously the doctor didn't say all of those acronyms, those are just some options of what it sounded like to me. The most distinctive sound is the middle letter "P." So it sounds like a 3-letter acronym with the middle letter being P. The pa ...

How In The World Do I Figure How To Charge?
Dec 05, 2011

Hi! I have been a transcriptionist for over 15 years.  I have only worked in a hospital and from home.  The home  job had been ELIMINATED, so I have not transcribed in about a year and a half.  I have never had to figure my lines as the hptl or powers that be have always just magically issued a paycheck.  Recently I was offered a PT job typing for a local clinic and I need work so of course I accepted and offered 8 cents a line.  I know a line is based on a 65-char ...

Found This Info When I Was Trying To Figure Out The
Jul 03, 2012

Higher utilization of offshore production and ASR leads to lower costs for us, which permits us to offer better pricing to our customers while at the same time contributing to margin growth. We have successfully migrated a significant portion of our volume offshore and we will continue these efforts. As technological advances and increased use of offshore resources have driven down industry costs, the average price per character has also declined as healthcare providers have sought to participa ...

PLEASE READ! For The People Who Can't Figure Out
Dec 17, 2012

I'm sorry, but there's a thread below where someone is calling out the user "SM".  LMAO! SM MEANS: short message, small message, or see message.  Pick whichever you prefer. It's been used on message boards practically since Al Gore invented the internet! (lol) I was told it meant "see message", while others have been told it's is one of the other 2 meanings.  However, the overall meaning is the same.  It means "Hey, there's a message ...

Life After Transcription
Mar 22, 2010

I have just turned 52 the other day and seem to be developing quite a bit of pain in my hands and wondering if any one knows of a good career path for me to head into besides typing.  ...

Life Beyond MedQuist
Aug 11, 2011

Wish I lived in Massachusetts.  There is life beyond MedQuist.  Job Post I just ran across:  Manager of Medical Transcription About the Job Minimum of 5-10 years transcription needed, plus minimum of 7 years supervisory experience. Knowledgeable about MedQuist platform, able to train physicians on MedQuist dictation system and electronic signature. Day position with occasional weekends. Manager must be current in transcription abilities, ability to set up certain templates, ...

Medquist Has Taken Away My Life
Oct 13, 2011

My accounts just went 100% ASR with no email warning or team meeting!  It takes too long to edit these jobs because ASR is the worst!  It seems that ASR is better at ESL docs than people who have a wonderful American accent and it takes longer to edit people who speak perfect English.  They have messed with me so much.  I have 4 babies to take care of and can barely make rent.  Foodstamps only gives us food and I have no extra money for things like electricity and i ...

Thinking About My Life
Mar 16, 2012

After reading the last few threads, I have been asking myself some hard questions. Why do I continue in this job that I clearly hate? I can't make ends meet, I am bored, and I know I am being taken advantage of, so why do I make the choice to stay? I try to continually remind myself I have a choice. No one is forcing me to do this job. I can quit or do something else. I feel the same as the rest of you, slave labor, boring VR, no respect for our skills and talents and we should be pai ...

Life After Epic
Oct 19, 2012

Hi all, The hospital I work for will start using Epic next year.  From everything I have read, I understand that transcription will most likely be cut in half.  For those of you have gone through this already, have you seen any other jobs created AFTER Epic?  I know there may be editing, but should we expect anything else?   ...

A Day In The Life Of An MT - Priceless.
Jan 03, 2013

want a good laugh?     ...

Sucking The Life Out Of Me
Feb 03, 2014

I can't get through 2 hours without some major technical issue that prevents me from completing a report. The support department is sorely lacking in helping. When I do hear from them they have a cocky attitude and basically tell me they can't do a thing to help. I can't get out of here quick enough. WORST company I've ever worked for. No concern for employees and demands exceed reality! ...