A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

good ol' days - Sookie

Posted: Oct 29, 2009

Remember the good old days, when we worked either in a transcription pool, the medical records department or at a doctor's office?  I was trying to figure out what a doctor was saying in a report and dreading leaving a QA marker for fear of "points"...

I remember going to hunt down the doctors in the old days, sitting down to have conversations with them. They would help us fill in the blanks and mostly apologize for not speaking clearly (at least they did at the hospital where I worked!)   They knew us by name.  They thanked us for what we did.   I always got the blanks filled in so that my  reports never ever had QA markers. 

I can't even remember the last time my super called me, except for when they need me to work more.  I'm feeling melancholy. Cry

I agree - good old days - sue

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with all you said. Our doctors would come down and have coffee with us and to Friday Night "Rounds" at the bar and grill.

I had a pediatrician that I did special work for and he even came down to my little going away party and signed my card, as someone had invited him. And this was a big University Hospital.

And first name basis with my supervisors, and we had contests in the office about who could do the most line counts in a certain period and get rewarded for it. Have a luncheon at the office that was totally paid for by the owners. And they even gave us Christmas gifts.

Enough for me, I might cry too.

good ol' days - RN

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember the holidays! The office parties were the greatest. We were all on a first name basis too. I remember this well. I remember all the signatures on the birthday cards that got circulated through the different departments. Ah, good times!

I had a older doc that hated dictating onto tape or into the system, so he'd actually come in to the office when he saw it was just me and dictate directly to me! He was so sweet and those times were so personal and one on one. It was a good feeling.

Remember doughnut day?! Everyone in a department had an assigned day of the month to bring in goodies for the whole department so we'd all have a snack?! (back then we could afford it...)

Remember BASE PAY? I'd earn a 17.50 AN HOUR plus per line, bonuses, holiday pay, overtime...

(Here I am, 48 years old. I am back in school to get another degree to get a better paying job. These companies have taken a job that I love (used to...) with all of my heart and soul and have made me absolutely dread sitting down at my computer every single day that I work)

Now I'm sad too... :(

And here I am, close to 60, thinking of returning to school - but having no idea what I could study --

[ In Reply To ..]
that I could learn, get accredited for, and find a job doing, before I die of old age. (Or starvation, whichever comes first.).

Wow, that does sound really good.... - kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
I've only been an MT about 10 years and always worked for a national company, but I've always wanted to work in-house at a place like you describe. I wonder if there are hospitals that have in-house MTs anymore?

Yep me too - MT55

[ In Reply To ..]
and having one doc say, "I have no patients with sciatic camels today" -- Loved it when we could interact with the docs!!!!

Re: The Good 'Ol Days.... - "Do you remember when...?"

[ In Reply To ..]
- There were such things as vacations? Real ones, where you could go somewhere fun for a week or two, and forget about work, instead of bringing your laptop with you and trying to maintain your daily linecount quota?

- Sick days and PTO days were separate? So when you worked in an office (as we all did back in the day), people would actually take their sick days when they were sick, instead of coming and in infecting everyone else, because they wanted more vacation days?

- Insurance? And even if you still have it now, remember when it actually PAID FOR medical care, without having to be sued to do so?

- Your transcription manager was on the MTs' side and went to bat for your department, rather than becoming one of THEM -- "The Enemy".

- The doctors actually did their own dictation, instead of letting everyone, down to and including the janitorial personnel, do their dictating for them?

- When ESL doctors were the exception, not the rule?

- When the doctors thanked you for your hard work, or for catching a mistake they missed?

- Cost-of-living raises EVERY YEAR? Who gets them now? EVER???

- Merit raises for doing quality work?

- When a typical workday was 8 hours, not 12-14?

- Overtime pay?

- Software that was simple, and worked FOR the MT, rather than AGAINST them? Back then, we didn't waste so much time trying to slog our way through ponderous, designed-by-an-idiot platforms. And we spent more time actually TRANSCRIBING, rather than worrying about the latest BOS edict handed down by the Oh-So-Holy Ones.

- Applying for a job, and actually being contacted? And, once hired, welcomed with open arms as a member of the team, rather than with contempt?

- When every hospital and medical center had a transcription department? And how you could pretty much just walk in to any one of them unannounced, tell them you were a transcriptionist, and Human Resources would turn backflips trying to gain your services?

- Remember being able to afford to get your car serviced, and not having to worry every time you got in and turned the key, about whether it would even start, let alone get you where you wanted to go?

- Remember meat, fish, poultry, cheese and cereal? How many MTs can still afford those luxuries nowadays?

- Remember being able to afford to heat your home office in the wintertime? Boy, THOSE were the days, weren't they?

- Remember going to the movies? Or out to dinner?

- Remember buying NEW clothes, instead of secondhand?

- Remember when a STAT report was "as soon as possible", rather than "in 5 minutes"?

- Remember when all transcription (and QA) was done in the United States?

- Remember when our profession was a secure, decent-paying, middle-class job, and not a circling-the-drain scam-job working for a bunch of financial predators?

Ah, yes... those were the Good Old Days.

Ah, yes, those were the good ole days - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
And 99.9% of MTs were actually HAPPY.

I wish I had known those days - 7DayMT

[ In Reply To ..]
sound really wonderful.

Yes, those were the good ole' days (sm) - mtmtmtmtmtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Lets not forget one other thing: being able to sit and transcribe for 4 hours and make $100 plus a day (at 0.10/line)and that was not even rushing through reports. Having time with your children/spouse/significant other/friends.

Yes, I miss those days.

The Good Ol days - Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That is the truth, the whole truth and nuthin but the truth! You said it all and you are so right. The only good thing about this job any more is that I get to work from home. Wal-mart is starting to look good.

Funny thing...those days weren't that long ago - I long for them too!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Good Old Days
Jun 17, 2010

I long for the days when you just typed the report and maybe had to watch for 1 or 2 things regarding the patient.  Now, well you know, change work type for this hospital, not for that hospital, use patient name, don't use patient name, check QA, don't check QA, if a doctor spells a name you have to look it up anyway (they have absolutely no responsibility for what comes out of their mouths--its our responsibility), follow BoB, follow client profile, and if they con ...

It Was Like The Good Old Days
Oct 06, 2012

I had a 20 minute report, straight typing, very decent dictator.  Took me about an hour.  Got 262 actual lines.  I had forgotten what that feels like. ...

Oh For The Good Ole Days
Apr 30, 2015

I fondly remember when I started with this company (actually have gone thru too numerous to count buyouts).  I actually enjoyed coming to work and being rewarded with typing more than the required. Now almost every day, I dread coming to work.  I know that the majority of my work wiill have deplorable audio quality.  Investing in "good, quality" headphones and Boostaroo is/'was of absolutely no help whatsoever.  Quit wondering why they won't fix it and have resigne ...

The Good Old MT Days ... What I Miss Most
May 30, 2012

Quality, Turnaround, and Price ... pick two!!! ...

Awww, The Good Ole Days
Feb 17, 2015

Remember when we had primaries and secondaries?  Accounts we knew the client profile.  NOT this constant changing from one hospital to another to another and having to look up the client profile each and every time.  Don't even get me started on the stupid question marks on the ADT/demographics.  Why must I enter this when the persion initially entering it is incompetent? I have had 2 days now of garbage.  ESL's who can't be bothered to slow down and ope ...

MT Week - Remember The Good Ol' Days?
May 25, 2013

I remember looking forward to MT Week with my old favorite employers YOG and Encompass.  I'd go to the mailbox and actually get little gifts from them. Imagine that! With YOG I actually got more than one!  I still have that letter opener that is the bomb! No sarcasm. I really liked that. Little things mean a lot. Much better than a lecture from the rich powers that be, or an "opportunity" to maybe, just maybe, win a prize after gushing about how great your job has b ...

Miss The Good Old Days Of Medical Transcription
Mar 27, 2014

I miss the lively atmosphere of a transcription room filled with other transcriptionists, with doctors strolling in and out, joking, grabbing from the tray of homemade goodies someone had brought in to share.  I miss the laughing and sharing of stories or the mutual griping about the doctors' dictations.  I miss the holiday pot luck dinners and decorations and bonuses.  I miss the formal dictating style that doctors used to go by.  I miss having a job that was in demand ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT — But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including “the M,” and “the N” and (now to be included) “the T” following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

IMEDX Takeover...I Don't Have A Good Feeling About This. Does Anyone Have A Good Sm
Jul 07, 2012

experience with this company.  Sounds like they suck up our accounts and then pay us less than pennies to clean up the trash.  ...

Good Friday; Good Bye Spheris
Apr 02, 2010

Well Good Friday to me.  I left Spheris.  It is indeed the best Friday for me in a very long time.  I've had it with their lousy platform, Mafia QA (they try their best to kill your spirit), mandatory this, mandatory that, do this, don't do that, change this, don't change that; no, don't change this, don't change that, and on and on and on, and now their bankruptcy.  No PTO for the next 4 months to keep the clients satisfied during ...

PAY DAYS
Feb 08, 2010

Forget how to look up pay dates - is it on MQ Central?  Thanks in advance. ...

NJA - 2 Days In A Row!
Mar 30, 2010

I'm on a roll!!  Almost out of PTO.  No vacation or anything for me this year.   BULLCRAP! ...

NJA How Many Days In A Row Now?.............
Jul 15, 2010

i'm devastated. forget bills, they don't need to be paid, right?  much less food that doesn't need to be bought.   ...

Ever Have One Of Those Days When
Nov 12, 2010

every other report is tragic? Tonight I just want to quit, so depressing. I hate doing child death reports, alcohol-involved MVAs where someone dies, drug overdoses where the person dies, attempted suicide, severe brain damage/paralysis from fall, all in one shift, all young people!! Giving extra hugs to my children and hubby tonight.  Sometimes I want to go back to doing just clinic work. Thanx for the vent and someplace to take a break. ...

Ever Have One Of Those Days, Where It Seems All The
Feb 15, 2011

It seems that every dictator tonight has made some sort of mistake or said something that doesn't seem right (mg/mcg, right/left, dates, names, age, etc.) that required extra research through past reports (if your lucky they have some) to get correct information?  Or where the residents make you want to beat your head against the wall because they cannot pronounce half the stuff their field exposes them to?  Sure, a handful a day is expected, but there are some days where it' ...

One Of Those Days-
Feb 18, 2011

This is on the tip of my tongue and driving me crazy!  Any help appreciated! "care ax" cream........wart treatment. ...

One Of Those Days
Mar 11, 2011

I'm having one of those days - can't understand a blessed thing anyone's saying!  I'll have days in a row without a single blank, and today - barely a report without at least one!  I think my so-called "listening ear" has taken a vacation! Think I'll sign off and settle down with a martini to toast the week-end, and hopefully all will be back to normal tomorrow!     ...

Low Pay For MTs These Days
Apr 21, 2011

I am in quite a quandy right now.  I have been out of work as an MT now for 3 months due to a layoff.  I started off in this field 15 years ago earning 11 cents a line for a transcription company.  My last job paid me 9 cents a line.  Now I am looking to find a part-time job and I can't find anything over 8 cents a line.  Doesn't experience matter anymore or is the transcription field pay rate getting lower and lower all the time?  I am shocked, because fo ...

One Of Those Days.
May 04, 2011

Today I had a 35 minute report by one of the worst dictators. On top of that her phone line is really bad. I did the best I could and ended up sending the report to QA. QA was able to fill in about half of the blanks that I had. I ended up sending an e-mail to my supe to see if anything could be done about her phone line, and if she could please listen to the report. Less than a minute later she e-mailed my back stating that she could hear the report just fine. My question is, how can it take le ...

NJA For 3 Days!
Jun 02, 2011

I am in the South region and have had NJA for 3 days! I have e-mailed my CCM who said work is slow, the first day.  Now I cannot get in touch with her and no explanation for no work.  I have used PTO and even taken a day off without pay.  This has never happened before.  Anyone know what is going on? Any answer or help would be greatly appreciated!   Anon   ...

So Far, This Has Been One Of Those Days Where
Jun 06, 2011

just above any profession but this one looks good.  Back-to-back ESL who gets on late at night, dictates report after report after report, marks them all priority even though they may be for admissions/discharges from 2-3 months ago.  He's horrible to listen.  Talks so softly sometimes he can barely be heard.  Flies through lab results, etc.  And, I think I'm the primary transcriptionist on this account.  I have literally begged to have this account t ...

Anyone Else Always Have Days Like This?
Aug 02, 2011

For some unknown reason my footpedal just decides to stop working this morning and I spend hours to get it going again. I finally get back into my groove, only to get a dictation that is 29 minutes long with only 4 minutes of actual dictating! I can never get ahead and get a decent line count anymore. There is always something that comes up to keep my production down and shrink my paycheck. I wish we were compensated fairly for times when a dictator keeps the phone on for 28 minutes without ...

Having One Of Those Days.
Jan 19, 2012

I feel like pulling my hair out. My supe said she was going to write me up because of 2 weeks of low line count. I guess she forgot that I used PTO because of NO WORK and on top of that I have been sick the last 2 weeks and I have had to use a couple days sick leave. Stupid me I thought I could use PTO for being SICK. Well enough venting. ...

TTD Pay Days
May 19, 2012

Can someone tell me how often they pay?  Is it monthly? Every 2 weeks? When is their next payday?  TIA ...

16 Days.
May 31, 2012

We are always being told we have 24 hours to respond to emails from our leads and managers, just wish they had to show us the same respect.  I asked 1 simple question about an error.  I didn't even bother to refute it, just wanted an answer and it took 16 days after 2 reminders.  Thank you Debra.  I appreciate your promptness.  I will show you the same respect when you want something from me.  ...

OOW Two Days In A Row!!!
Jun 06, 2014

OOW again at the start of my shift!! What the h@##@!   Does anyone know if you can collect partial unemployment without taking PTO?  I have never collected but seriously thinking about it. ...

4 More Days To Go
Nov 13, 2014

and I so don't want to show up for any of those days. ...

10 More Days
Jan 08, 2015

I have 10 more days of transcription then I am done.  First let me thank Jesus for getting me out of this misery.  I've been a transcriptionist for almost 20 years, back in the day with cassetts, C-phones, good pay, communication between the doctors and the transcriptionst, respect, over-time pay, holidays off, etc.  You know, I actually had life outside of transcription  I found a job doing medical assisting in a doctor's office and I am so looking forward to havi ...