A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

an idle mind - is my own workshop

Posted: Jul 27, 2010

Okay, I just started my first job with an MTSO, and now I'm looking at an empty queue. This is the same running-out-of-work scenario that has been following me for the past 6 years, everywhere I go. Three on-site jobs have gone down the tubes because the clinics/hospitals were "streamlining" with VR, and making their remaining employees more "efficient." Every time this happens, I promise myself: Will retrain, will find a new line of work. This is a dying field. Every time, something happens to make me go back and give transcription another try. Maybe there is SOME place that is prospering, and has enough work that I can do well in this profession. Then I find a place where things go well for a while, and I tell myself, See, you were overreacting. There's still plenty of work. Then, it happens again. Work gets low. (Just temporary, everyone says.) Then it rebounds. Then it gets low, and doesn't rebound. Then a head honcho starts inspecting transcription payroll and decides it's too big. Wages are cut. Production is increased. Work supply really bottoms out then, MTs start fighting for work. I decide, OK, get into another field. Then I find another place that is hiring, and another time I tell myself, See, there's still work, there's still a job for you. This last time was IT, I swore. I quit and went back to the community college to find something, anything I could train for. Well, I didn't take into consideration that in the recession, everyone and her brother had the exact same idea. The certificate and diploma programs for just about everything were filled solid. So, I crawled back to my computer and applied to an MTSO, and got hired, and felt optimistic at first, and now, it's NJA, again. My question is: What would you do, if you could not do transcription anymore? And have you looked into the feasability of retraining? I had just a blind idea of "getting certified in something else" at the community college, but found out it wasn't a good plan in reality! So now I am thinking about it again, having to make more realistic plans. My problem is that in the back of my mind, I feel I can always fall back on transcription, and it hinders me from making any drastic change. Maybe that is human nature. But here I sit, at the beginning of my shift, ready to work, and NJA, and no pay. I am going to do some online research now. What do I want to do for a living? What do you want to do for a living?

back in school - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Getting my associates, then onto BA and Masters in social work. I get FASFA loans to supplement my husbands income. I love being in school, should have done it a long time ago, but like you, I held on to MT and hoped. It was once a very comfy field to be in, not anymore. Good luck whatever you decide.

I could use the same advice! Every morning I wake - up and think, "OK! Today is - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
the day I'm going to kick some transcrioption butt, and crank out those lines!" But it's always SOMETHING that dashes my hopes. Sometimes it's NJA, but not always. More often, it's slow software, ridiculously nitpicky account specifics and demographics, or just plain horrible dictators that are only about 20% intelligible, if that. I always go to bed discouraged, and worried about what the next day will bring.

So, I get up the next morning, hoping for a productive day. But no, as usual, some other problem arises. Maybe today it's a power outage. A few weeks ago it was a virus. Or, maybe I got no sleep the night before (stressing out about finances!), and so all day long I keep nodding off in front of the PC, finally having to resort to another stong cuppa coffee and a chaser of No-Doz to keep me awake.
So then, the next night is a low-sleep night because of all that extra caffeine racing around in my system.

The next day, I'm determined it'll be better. Today will be the day! But no, today the jobs are coming in 1 or 2 at a time, then 30 minutes to an hour between them. Midnight finally rolls around, and my line count is below 300. I drift off to sleep that night, worrying about healthcare. Like how long I'll still have it, if these abysmal linecounts keep happening. Or how I'm going to be able to keep making payments on the CO-PAYMENTS of my last doctor visit.

The next morning, a postcard from the vet arrives in the mail. (They're coming monthly, now). "Time for that checkup and those rabies shots!" it says. Instead, I keep my pets indoors, and just hope some rabid animal doesn't get inside and bite them. Best I can do. Another auto insurance payment arrives, too. I think temptingly of pushing the car off the cliff at the bottom of the hill I live on, in hopes of collecting on insurance to pay the bills. But how much insurance will I collect on a 15-year-old car? Not much, I reckon. And of course, then there's the downside of having to be a lifelong pedestrian, after that.

I've wasted 5 years hoping this company will get its act together and start treating MT like an actual *profession* again, and not a sweatshop. Obviously that's not going to happen.

I hate going to school. I "did my time" through 2 years of college, and night school here and there, and will only be dragged back to the study-grind IF there is something I even want to learn. So far, there is not. Coding? Nope. Too intensely detailed and boring. Not only that, it's headed overseas, soon, as well. X-ray or Sonography tech? I seriously considered it, but the cost is prohibitive, no school is closer to me than 50 or 60 miles, and where will the time come from, if I'm on my PC at home for 18 hours a day? Also, those fields are going to become saturated with ex-MTs, most of whom are 30 years younger than me. I also don't relish the idea of being on my feet all day at whatever age I'd be when I graduated, which would probably be somewhere around 67+.

I would love to scratch my "creative itch"... making and selling all sorts of artistic projects I have in mind. But at the very most, something like that would be pin money, not a living. And again, that old question, "Where would I find the time?"

So, not only do I totally feel your pain, and your worries, I'm also as interested as you are as to what other MTs are doing to get out of this DEAD-END slavery existence.

idle - mind

[ In Reply To ..]
This reminds me of a wacky plan I used to have-- to set up a "Home for Retired or Indigent Transcriptionists." It would be like a commune. We would grow our own food. We would make our own pottery. We would contribute the $15 a day we make working for [company name deleted] for household upkeep. Well, the $15 part came later-- back then we were making at least that much per hour. I just felt that transcriptionists needed some sort of support system, because so many of us didn't seem to be willing or able to do anything else for a living! So the Retired Transcriptionists' Home was a recurrent, semi-serious joke for a while... I gave up on it because of the difficulty of having PROOF that the residents were actually transcriptionists, and what would the residency requirements be, etc. etc.

I am not happy there are others like me - but it does help a little

[ In Reply To ..]
Does that make sense?

Now I realize I am young enough to probably start something else. I am 29, but I have been doing this since I was 18. I thought it was such a perfect career to have when I was going to raise a family... my family hasn't started yet but we were hoping it was close... but now I know I can't contribute to the income any longer like I used to. I have to face getting another job, and having another job for awhile before trying to start a family, getting benefits first... (I do not have them now with my company as I can't make full time lines to save my life!)

I have been applying to different areas to do 911 dispatch. I have experience in this field, and should probably never have gotten out of it 5 years ago, but I really believed transcription would be around, and so perfect for a family... However, A lot of these jobs are in California, and when it comes right down to it, my BF and I just can't make that move back there... the cost of living is outrageous, and it doesn't help that he is in a field that has long dried up and has been laid off for nearly 2 years... I've been traveling and testing... and going through so many filling out applications. The process is draining, but I don't want to go back to school because I can't imagine more student debt loans on top of all the debt I already have. It makes me nuts.

We have been talking a lot lately. He will be 30 soon, and he has been in school for 5 years to become an electrician. This is his last semester, and he hasn't even been working for 2 years... yet he feels like he had to finish it so he can take his test and have that license, which I know isn't a bad idea... but how many overloads in the construction industry do we have. He has to decide what he wants to do... It's really hard for us, especially financially. I have taken about a 60% pay cut in the last 2 years and like I said, he's laid off...

As I said I am not glad anyone is feeling the same strains, but it is a little comforting you know? I wish everyone the best and I hope more people share ideas. We are doing what we have to do for now, but I want a career... not just side jobs here and there to fill the time...

Why did this have to happen to MT :(

I'm Considering Veterinary Technology - earlymusicus

[ In Reply To ..]
I had gone almost all the way through a vet. tech. program back in 1976 (I had to drop out to take care of my mother), and I loved it. I've always been an animal lover - owned my own horse for 23 years, my own dog or 14 years. I've always gotten along well with all animals. I should have done this training instead of MT training. But I'm thinking of maybe going back to it, if I can get grants and scholarships to pay for the classes (I used all my IRA funds on my useless MT training). I'm an outdoorswoman and would love to work with wildlife rehabilitators.

At least veterinary technology isn't something that can be outsourced to India!

I just have to find out if there's age discrimination in hiring VTs because by the time I finish the training, I'll be 61.

Similar Messages:

Idle Question....
Jun 02, 2012

Is it "legal" for doctors to take home patient's charts or information to dicatate from there? Doesn't seem very confidential to me.  I've always just wondered and I know you wonderful ladies must know!  :) ...

Idle Time
Oct 23, 2013

If I proofread and don't use the cursor as I go or the audio, is that counted as idle time? Not that I care just wondering ...

FOR THOSE WHO COUNT OUR MOUSE CLICKS, IDLE TIME, ETC
Apr 15, 2011

Due to the slowness from Kapersky, pausing to pray (some hospitals do this), physicians talking with others in the background, physicians asking me to wait a minute (like I have a choice) and many other interruptions my idle time may be increased.  All of these things have happened to me within the last week.  Please do something about Kapersky.  This should have no bearing on our ability to work--we can't be productive with this going on.  ...

I'm Going Out Of My Mind!
Feb 03, 2014

Seriously, I honestly do not know what is going on in the western region.  It wouldn't be so bad if there was just no work in my BOB and I could ask for more back up accounts from other BOB but the whole western region is out of work!  It was the same way over the weekend, isn't there usually work on the weekends?  I'm a single mom and can't afford to take it off with no pay - I REALLY NEED THIS INCOME so I'm stuck taking it out of my PTO but I won't ...

Never Mind....
Oct 18, 2014

x ...

Who In Their Right Mind Will Be Sending Anything To QA?
Mar 19, 2010

Are they kidding?  Who is going to be sending ANYTHING to QA and take a chance of having their pay cut? Especially if it's the beginning of the work week! Yes, the clients will be getting blanks and I know they will be complaining.  The Q keeps sending us e-mails telling us to cut down on QA submissions. Are they kidding? No amount of "tips" will help if the dictator mumbles, sneezes, is ESL, etc. Don't they think we know all the "tricks" already? Besides that, we can't ...

If You Don't Mind Me Asking What Is The Most And Least That You've Made?
Jan 12, 2011

I've worked at a hospital doing transcription and getting an hourly wage, and I've also done transcription at home.  At-home was not a good experience for me.  I about went bankrupt, but the good thing is that I have more experience now.  I'm trying to decide whether to go back to a hospital and get an hourly pay or work from home again...  Thanks for any input!  I appreciate it!  ...

My Racing Mind Just Got
Mar 22, 2012

Funny while editing SR, the "other side" of the brain wanders.  Just came up with a T-shirt idea in the form of D: dictated/T: typed by speech rec. Speech Recognition D: Speech "wreck" wrecks MT's lives. T:  Spit wreck rex empty wives. LOL. ...

Mind. Blown. (sm)
Aug 08, 2012

I'm trying to use more keyboard commands and less mouse action, right?  So I needed to highlight and delete a line of text, and I tried Ctrl Alt Right Arrow.  Try it.  Go 'head.  For the timid among us, I can report that that particular key combo makes your screen skew sideways.  I tilted my head to look at it, thinking furiously about how to correct it without having to involve the techs, so I decided to try Ctrl Alt Left Arrow.  ...and tilted my head the ...

Just Too Mind Numbing!
Nov 15, 2013

Editing MM's ASR is so mind numbing! I get back 1-2 reports a week from a client audit with stupid errors, errors I don't make when I am straight typing! And you can certainly tell the horrendous number of errors that I am correcting by my line count. The better the output, the better my count. I so wanted to pop off an angry email back about how mind numbing this is! I can't wait to do it the day I can quit. Who cares about burning bridges, if need be, there are plenty of M ...

Mouse Wi A Mind Of Its Own
Mar 27, 2014

My mouse seems to have a mind of its own.  Keep skipping all over on me.  Is this a virus or the mouse?? ...

Gee, Could They Make Up Their Mind
Aug 08, 2014

08/10, no 08/24, no 08/10, no cancel 08/10.  FAIL ...

I Don't Mind Clocking In And Out
Dec 02, 2014

I don't mind clocking in and out, everyone has to do that, but if there is down time that needs to be added to my timecard or the like then that should be their job not ours.  I don't have time for all this unpaid crap. I just want to clock in and do my work then clock out and forget about the rest.  They get paid the big bucks to take care of our timecards if there are additions that need to be added. ...

I've Made Up My Mind.
Dec 04, 2014

Eight years ago, I started school for medical transcription. I had grand dreams of being able to have a well-paying career while still staying home with my kids. After all, based on my husband's pay we could not afford for me to stay at home without bringing in an income and preferred to not have to pay for daycare for our 2 (now 3) kids. Now here I am, with my head in my hands, making exactly the same as I did when I landed my first MT job. This is the only profession I know of where you ...

Oops! Never Mind
Feb 17, 2015

x ...

I Wouldn't Mind
May 01, 2015

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING SO HARD!!!!???   i specifically got up today to log on for the hour of MOT.  then i see an email that says we don't need it, but its vague.  then another email says, we need it, but not until after 3 central time.  i even tried pulling in a 3:30 to 4 time from the swap board but it wouldn't let me.  my shift starts at 4.  so i wrote and said i'd just log in and do it and forget the swap board, but i'm told feel ...

I'm Losing My Mind Or What's Left Of It!
Oct 16, 2009

I can't take it anymore.  Three weeks with more jobs than we could handle and now...... only weekend work with the worst dictators I've ever heard.  I DO mean the WORST dictators I've ever heard!  I have actually made up NEW cuss words today.. strung together in a most creative way.  You wouldn't even believe it.  I MUST get off my dead butt and find a real job or go totally insane.. OH... the drama~!  But.. really..  $%^*((*&%^**.. I co ...

401K, For Me No Way, But I Might Change My Mind
Dec 04, 2009

I could have participated in my company's 401K for 3 years now, but when I went to sign the paperwork and read through the fine print there were things stated in there like I could lose everything that I put into it if the investiment company went bankrupt and that this "IS" an investment and not a promise to pay..... So I backed off.  I am very iffy on having one.  The only benefit is that my company will put 25% in it, but if there is a chance I could lose it is it worth it?&nbs ...

My Mind Went Blank........s/l Eye Cap....medication
Mar 03, 2010

. ...

You Know What Just Crossed My Mind Regarding That Email From
Apr 22, 2010

If some people are going so far above and beyond what is expected of them that they are giving 250%, how in the world are they not working more than the regular shift? Every day it is drummed into our heads that we have to watch our schedules so as not to go over.  If we're already working full time and giving 100% or more, how can we give 250% without going over?  Is she saying what I think she is saying?  Give 250%, but only put down 100% on your time card?   ...

Mind-numbing ESL Tonight
Apr 25, 2011

I remember reading recently on here about monotonous female ESL dictators. Well I have one right now and it sounds like she has placed her lips directly onto the receiver to speak. This is so frustrating! I'm about to tear my hair out. My shift can't end soon enough tonight. I am so burnt out from this job, just scraping by isn't getting it with my family anymore. And yes, I have been looking elsewhere but there's just nothing. My son wants to take his girlfriend to the ...

Do You All Mind Sharing With Me How Much You Take Home
Jul 10, 2012

I was laid off last week from my in-house MT job.  I have an interview this week at Nuance.  I am wondering how much you all bring home in a 2-week period?  I've never worked production so I don't know what to expect.  And could you please tell me if you're part-time or full. Thanks! ...

If You Wouldn't Mind Sharing...
Oct 02, 2012

I have seen a few posts where someone mentions another job board.  I know we cannot post them here, but if you wouldn't mind emailing me I would appreciate it.  Seems like a google search is like a wild goose chase with schools and such and I just want a few real job boards to watch. Thank you so much in advance. ...

I've Totally Changed My Mind . . . . Maybe
Apr 06, 2013

Thank you all for answering my questions lately.  I'm definitely at a crossroads with where I'm going.  I have an Associates Degree in medical transcription, have completed two A&P classes, two medical terminology classes, a pharmacology class, etc. and have worked as a transcriptionist for two decades.  I am now looking at either going to my local community college and adding on to my degree with a certificate program, or just recently I have considered Western Gove ...

Mind Numbing Boredom
Apr 19, 2014

I used to work on an account I loved and recently lost to EPIC.  I never minded voice recognition because the account was interesting and I took great pride in each report I typed.  Now, though, I understand what everyone is talking about when they say "mind numbing bordedom."  I must look at the clock 5000 times a shift and just keep counting the seconds until I can turn off the computer.  ...

Keystrokes - It Just Blows My Mind
Apr 30, 2014

that they are hiring at 7.5 cpl when just 2-3 years ago I got a job there I started at 9 cpl.  Why dose it seem that this is one of the only profession where wages go down over the years instead of up???   ...

I Am Bored Out Of My Mind And/or Can't Concentrate
Sep 16, 2014

I have literally put my face in my hands out of not being able to stand working today. Anything to help??? ...

I Do Not Mind Giving This Doctor's Name
Oct 02, 2014

Dr. M has got to be the worst dictator that NUisANCE has.  One can only hope he's a better doctor than he is a dictator. ...

If You Don't Mind My Asking, Did Anybody Choose IC Over Employee With Transcend? And Why?
Dec 02, 2009

Still weighing my options and am not sure which way to go.  I understand FT and PT got a cut in pay, but not ICs.  Is this true?  Any other downside to IC status other than the SE tax and being lowest on the totem pole to get work when it's slow? ...

Zowie .. I Don't Mind Testing For A Job, But I Have Had To Do Three Separate Log Ins And Sm
Feb 08, 2011

3 separate sets of screening and transcription tests on MT test ... seems a bit excessive!  I hope it is worth it.  We'll see ... ...