A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Idle question.... - bored

Posted: Jun 02, 2012

Is it "legal" for doctors to take home patient's charts or information to dicatate from there? Doesn't seem very confidential to me.  I've always just wondered and I know you wonderful ladies must know!  :)

question - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have had docs dictate from bathrooms, their kids sports games, restaurants, theatre, train stations...wherever they want. nobody ever holds them to be HIPAA compliant. JMO

Question - Noone

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeppers, worked for Med/Recs in Texas at a small hospital...this was allowed until we had a suprise visit from state and they wanted one of the patient files and one of the docs had taken it home to "dictate". Wasn't a pretty site when they got thru with the "big wigw" at the hospital. So yes....they did then, and I am sure they still do it now, but the answer is "HE** NO!!" The records are NEVER supposed to leave the hospital, docs office, etc. That is one area the EMR has been a plus for them, if they have a computer, they can access the records prettyu much anywhere, anytime.

Happens all the time --- dictating right in front of the - whole family.

[ In Reply To ..]
Also have them dictating at school functions (can hear ballgames in the background). That seems so wrong. Anybody within earshot is getting an ear full, names, birthdates, medical history, diagnoses, weight, anything they want to know.

i have one that constantly dictates on airplanes - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

crying babies, barking dogs, - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
chiming clock, NFL blaring on the TV. I love those Sunday evening dictating marathons.

I have a "Dr. Mom" who... - (See message)

[ In Reply To ..]
...dictates outside the hospital. One time, she was dictating away; paused while she ordered a Happy Meal in the drive-through; started dictating again; paused again while she paid and said, "Thank you" to the McD's employee, and then picked up her dictation again. Now THAT is multi-tasking!
Here's one from my experience. - IAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Was transcribing for a midlevel and kept hearing this whirring sound that would get louder and louder. Kept happening so I asked the office manager if there was a problem with her device. They tested her handheld device, questioned her about where she was dictating and come to find out, she was dictating while she was doing her breast pumping. Kinda just laughed it off, but it was kind of hard to hear over;-)
IAMT - Okay, here is another one! - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Several years ago I had a large teaching hospital and did their ER work. One Saturday this doc started to dictate and every so often you would hear his BB buzz. I could, of course, only hear one side of the conversation, but I could tell it was his girlfriend coaxing him to come over to her place. She called four or five times and his conversation (with the tape running all the while) got steamier and steamier. The final sounded like something you would hear from Monica Lewinski. I was just shocked. He then said, "Um, I will finish my dictation later....." I felt like a voyeur, not an MT.

Similar Messages:

An Idle Mind
Jul 27, 2010

Okay, I just started my first job with an MTSO, and now I'm looking at an empty queue. This is the same running-out-of-work scenario that has been following me for the past 6 years, everywhere I go. Three on-site jobs have gone down the tubes because the clinics/hospitals were "streamlining" with VR, and making their remaining employees more "efficient." Every time this happens, I promise myself: Will retrain, will find a new line of work. This is a dying field. Every time, somethin ...

Idle Time
Oct 23, 2013

If I proofread and don't use the cursor as I go or the audio, is that counted as idle time? Not that I care just wondering ...

FOR THOSE WHO COUNT OUR MOUSE CLICKS, IDLE TIME, ETC
Apr 15, 2011

Due to the slowness from Kapersky, pausing to pray (some hospitals do this), physicians talking with others in the background, physicians asking me to wait a minute (like I have a choice) and many other interruptions my idle time may be increased.  All of these things have happened to me within the last week.  Please do something about Kapersky.  This should have no bearing on our ability to work--we can't be productive with this going on.  ...