A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What does your MTSO do about MD HIPAA violations? - ROFL

Posted: Oct 12, 2012

I find it interesting that if we violate HIPAA law it's a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole, yet when doctors continually violate HIPAA law on a regular basis these MTSOs are too wimpy to say anything, or even care the the patient's rights are being compromised.

They do nothing. But WE are responsible for fixing their - HIPAA errors. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Question... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What's an example of a physician HIPAA violation that has to be corrected by the MT?

Putting in wrong pt info, example dr spelling pt name wrong, - wrong med dose, cc mess. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
What about this (not MT related, just curious) - Leaving MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I had a Mohs procedure done last summer, which required me to wait in a waiting area while the doctor did the pathology on the tissue he took to determine if any more tissue needed to be excised. There were other people having the same type of procedure done in that waiting area as well. The nurse would come into the waiting area and announce for all in the room to hear, "Mrs. ____, come on back. We need to take some more tissue," or, "Mr._____, come on back. We got it all and need to close you up now." I wondered about that and HIPAA. I was thinking she should have just asked each of us to come back to the patient room and then told us privately what they were going to do and not announce it in front of the entire waiting room after calling our names out, but maybe I am reading too much into it.
Respecting privacy would be a common courtesy. - Not reading too much into it. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
None of those things are HIPAA violations - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the poster below who suggested that you educate yourself about HIPAA.

None of the things you mentioned constitute a HIPAA violation. I cannot think of a single thing an MT could do to correct a violation . . . how could you correct something that could not have happened?

HIPAA has nothng to do with errors in medical records. It prohibits the DISCLOSURE of personally identifiable health information to unauthorized parties. Exceptions are made for disclosures made to other healthcare providers.

As for being fired for a HIPAA violation because you typed an incorrect provider number, that is ridiculous. You made no disclosure. Any facility that allows CCs to be sent without checking them is asking for trouble. It would stil be difficult to prove it was a violation. It went to a healthcare provider, for which the patient's permission is not required.

Records sent to another provider who isn't treating that patient IS a HIPAA violation (sm) - Morgan
[ In Reply To ..]
and this happens all the time where doctors say "CC to Dr. Anderson". An MT in another state has to Google search a Dr. Anderson in the state the doctor is in to try to decipher which one should get the CC. Sometimes you have enough information to learn which Dr. Anderson should receive the cc, but most of the time you will find a ton of Dr. Andersons in that state. What if it was Dr. "Andersen?" Doctors are not trained or told that their MTs are no longer in their area and they must give a first and last name for CCs and specify which one if there are multiple with that name. I get this daily, several times a day.

Another violation is, for example, "Mr. Gustav Sandoval is a 51-year-old gentleman who works as at Allstate Insurance in Fernville".

Another violation: "Ms Smith has been caring for her husband, Carl, who is a diabetic with COPD".

Why doncha just put cc: Dr Anderson and let the facility figure it - out. That is what my MTSO has us do. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
We are required to have the correct spelling and a first name. - anony
[ In Reply To ..]
None of those things are violations. - You do not understand HIPAA
[ In Reply To ..]
I am actually surprised that you think things said within medical record documentation would be a violation. You appear to misunderstand the requirements.

To whom has that information been disclosed? What DISCLOSURE occurred when you typed a doctor's name? What DISCLOSURE occurred in documenting the name of an employer or husband's illness?

DISCLOSING it to unauthorized third parties is a violation. Documenting relevant . . . or even irrelevant . . . information in the record is not.
But YOU are not sending them! - Something else . . .
[ In Reply To ..]
YOU are not sending those records. YOU do not know if the doctors listed in the CCs are involved in the care or not.

The person at the hospital who is acting on this to send the copy is responsible.

My facility no longer sends copies based on what has been dictated. Our MTs are instructed to ignore CCs.

I think you would be surprised to find that many facilities no longer send all those copies. It is dangerous and an unnecessary expense. Doctors still dictate CCs thinking that copies get sent--it is just a habit. MTSOs might think facilities still honor the CCs, but it may be more a case of keeping on doing what you have always done.
You can't just CC to anyone who is not also treating the patient. - Anony
[ In Reply To ..]
Unless there has been a change from the HIPAA laws when it first went into effect. There is no reason for a physician not treating the patient to receive their private medical records.

I think a suit should be filed if one loses a job - for this reason...

[ In Reply To ..]
We are the only ones held responsible. My sister received my lab results at her address, 1/2 hour from my home. I never lived there. Never gave them that address, and certainly did not authorize them sending that info to her. So, I call the office, throw a royal fit, and they do NOTHING! I brought up HIPAA, and they said, mistakes happen.

Well, how can we be held responsible if they are not? These MTSOs are using this against us when the hospital/physician staff are not held to those standards. That cannot be legal.

Funny, below some think MT errors are human, But here is an MT - throwing a fit cause of HIPAA violation. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

To really get their attention - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Have your legal counsel write them a brief letter on his/her letterhead just reminding them about HIPAA. Somehow the words "attorney at law" get their attention.

I don't think - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see how the MTSO could be held legally responsible for the doctor's violations. The MTSO though, is liable for your hipaa violations because you are their employee. Big difference really.

You think correctly - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
The physician is known as "the captain of the ship" as defined by legal doctrine. The MTSO is responsible for their MTs. She or he is NOT responsible for an M.D.'s violations. You can look it up in any basical legal text. Look under "Captain of the Ship doctrine."

Nonsense. It's not a violation until it's in a report in a chart. Docs know - we have their backs. We know that the

[ In Reply To ..]
only HIPPA violations we are responsible for can be memorized firm in about 30 seconds and that watching for them is part of our job.

So why are any of us complaining about being put upon SO dreadfully? Taken such outrageous advantage of? Life's victims, taking all the blame for everything while physicians laze around on golf courses?

Come on. Stop the whining? Refocus the resentment where it belongs? It's about the money!

What HIPAA violations are those? - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
What would an MT "violation" be? You do not release any information, so . . .

I'm wondering what the MTSOs have been telling you! Sounds like they are making things up.

Educate yourself regarding HIPAA - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I would suggest visiting the Department of Health and Human Services web site to learn what constitutes a HIPAA violation and what does not, dictation errors are not considered violations. Sending lab results in the mail is not a violation. The facilities where the doctors work and the doctors themselves can be fined if they are truly liable, and your employer would get fined if you messed up, you would probably lose your job. Sending cc's to the wrong place is a HIPAA violation. Dictating the wrong med dose is not a HIPAA violation, no one's personal information was compromised. If you have evidence against a provider or facility, you can report it confidentially through Health and Human Services, but I would suggest getting all your facts straight.

sending my lab results to my sisters house is not - a violation? WHATEVER!

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes it is... it compromised my personal information!

This would not be violation. Your results should have stayed in the - envelope with no compromise SM

[ In Reply To ..]
to you. The reciever of this, should have given it to you, unopened, or they should have put return to sender on the envelope and sent it back. Whoever opened the results at your sister's house committed, would that be mail fraud? However, if the envelope was never opened, no compromise at all and this whole thing is moot.
I agree - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
The medical provider could have confirmed your sister's address before sending the lab results, but the envelope should not have been opened and returned to sender. If you think it was a HIPAA violation, as I said before, check with HHS and report it.
yep. return to sender unopened, or hand deliver unopened. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
`
It was addressed to my sisters house with her name on envelope - and my lab work inside
[ In Reply To ..]
My name was not on the outside, I guess I should have explained every little detail before I posted!
Yes, this was just a little detail, lol. And it changes - everything, IMO. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Little detail - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't pick up on that the first time I read your post although I'm sure it was a lack of comprehension on my part. I don't know what it has to do with doctor and MTSO errors but that's okay. If you want to pursue this, you could go to the administrator of the facility that sent the lab results. Do you and your sister have tbe same last name? I'm not saying it excuses them but I can see how they could have gotten you mixed up, also because you live so close to each other. Once again, pursue it if you think it's important enough, report them to the feds if it will make you feel better.
no, have not had the same last name since - 1988, and the clinic was
[ In Reply To ..]
not even around then... They told me there was nothing I could do. The only link I can figure out is that my daughter (same last name until 5 years ago) moved in with my sister, but that still would not have changed my address! It makes no sense. I honestly dont think HIPAA even exists!
This is very, very odd. There has to be - some way that
[ In Reply To ..]
they would have connected you two namewise. The only way I could see the daughter connection would be if you guys were discussing your daughter and them realizing that she actually lived with your sister. Then, it could have been one of those things where they were thinking about the relation as they sent out the lab work. I also work in a physician's office, and the way you would get a patient's address is from their chart, either paper or EMR, usually starting with last name first.

I would think if you really wanted to do something about it you could. If it were me and it were something like a CBC or cholesterol, I would just get it from my sister and let the doctor himself and office manager know what happened and that you are not happy about it. I wouldn't personally ruin someone's reputation because of blood results being sent to my sister. If it were something very embarassing such as an STD test or AIDS, well I might be a little more upset.

It was a mistake, just like we as MTs make mistakes all the time, sometimes critical.
You listed her as next of kin or person to contact - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
The explanation is going to be that you listed her as kin or emergency contact when you filled out paperwork at that office or some other entity that the office is part of, like a healthcare system or PPO, and you just don't remember it.

If you believe that there is nothing you can do, that is very good evidence that you don't know what HIPAA is, that you ignored the Notice of Privacy Practices that your healthcare provider
gave you, and that you did not look on the internet to see what you could do.

What you can do is report it. It will soon come to light how this happened. You are good at internet research, so you should have no difficulty finding the phone number or address.

The OP never said anything about medication doses. - anony

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

HIPAA Violations ...
Apr 01, 2011

First of all....isn't any medical report being typed out of our country by a another country that isn't required to follow HIPAA regulations.....well a HIPAA violation?  Not to mention a potential homeland security risk! Secondly, is anyone else bothered by being instructed to type the patient's name in the body of a report?  According to HIPAA regulations, the patient's name is NOT to be typed in the body of any medical report.  We are all violating HIPAA by doing this ...

HIPAA VIOLATIONS
Jun 13, 2012

So, my ex-husband of 15 years called my and my son's doctor's office and gets all of our medical and billing information (son is 21).  Takes those documents and files suit in court against me using the documents he obtained fraudulently to claim that I have lied about the cost of our son's medical bills (he has been ordered three times to to pay 50% of those costs which only amount to about $2,800).  Y'all get that?  He committed fraud in order to prove that I have committ ...

Win XP And HIPAA Violations? (sm)
Apr 08, 2014

What fines could MTSOs be faced with for HIPAA violations in requiring their employees to use Win XP, which is no longer HIPAA compliant?  I wonder if it might be worth an increase in line rate to keep our mouths shut.  ;o) ...

Question About HIPAA Violations In Reports
Jan 25, 2013

I was accessing back reports already typed for med list and noticed that someone had typed the patient's sister's name in the report.  Isn't that a HIPAA violation? I never put relative names in reports so just wondered. I thought doing the training I remember that was a no no. ...

You Can Anonymously Report An MTSO's Violations Of
May 17, 2013

If you are classified as an employee, you can file a complaint anonymously if your MTSO is not paying you overtime for work over 40 hours a week.  I spoke with several people at the Department of Labor, one of whom headed up an audit of an MTSO,  and was told that you can file your complaint anonymously, but resolution of the issue will take longer than if you used your name.  Also, if in order to resolve the issue, you are required to be deposed or testify (this is very rare), th ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

Direct Violations Of Federal Law Subjecting Disabled Employees To
Jul 02, 2014

Big time. I hope HR goes to prison. ...

Well, So Much For HIPAA Law
Feb 04, 2011

My husband went in to have blood tests done for a new blood pressure medication he is on and when he left the house to get an RX filled, the nurse from the doctor's office called to tell him the results of his blood tests. Out of curiosity (testing the HIPAA thing), I asked her if his potassium level was okay and SHE TOLD ME that all his levels were fine except blood sugar was a little high! Not only that, I then asked her what new medication had been prescribed and SHE TOLD ME THAT ALSO! M ...

HIPAA
Nov 23, 2012

I failed to cc a physician they said so I got a 3.0 deduction on a dictation.  First one I have ever got.  I haven't got an email or anything yet.  I just saw it on one of my corrections.  I haven't gotten anything from FIESA yet. ...

Has Anyone Done The HIPAA Training?
Jan 03, 2010

Has anyone done the HIPAA training?  How was the test? ...

HIPAA Test
Jan 10, 2010

Could some kindly let me know where the HIPAA test is located in MQCentral.  Thanks! ...

Understanding HIPAA
Jan 21, 2010

I am trying to get a grasp on understanding HIPAA.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find "easy-to-understand" HIPAA rules?  I have a doct that I type his documents in Word and print them to letterhead for him and then hand-deliver them myself to his office.  Is this breaking HIPAA rules?  I just need to know what I have to be doing to be HIPAA-compliant and not aware of the facts.  Thanks for any input! ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

Question About HIPAA
May 29, 2010

I had to take my 18 year old daughter to the ER the other night because she cut her finger (not seriously thank goodness).  Being a medical transcriptionist I was rather surprised, she was not given any type of HIPAA form to sign, was not told anything about HIPAA, I thought everyone had to sign one.  I always have received a form when I went to the doctor or the hospital but she signed absolutely nothing.  Is this something new or is it a HIPAA violation since she did not sign an ...

People PLEASE...it Is HIPAA
Jun 16, 2010

Writing to your congressman and complaining to your companies about HIPPA makes you look like an idiot. ...

HIPAA And Archiving
Feb 28, 2011

I've searched and searched and can't find an answer.  Is there a HIPAA rule that dictates how long voice files, particularly voice recognition files, are supposed to be kept in archive?  Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction   ...

IC HIPAA Issue
Aug 29, 2013

Feel the need to address certain posts "..and there are no such places as you describe any longer. I have been working for an MTSO that treats their ICs as employees without all the "benefits," but also looking for something else along the way. I have not found ONE...not ONE service that takes true ICs any longer." This is called painting with a very broad brush. How can you claim that as accurate? Saying 'no such places' means you have literally checked into, inquired and e ...

HIPAA Rules
Oct 08, 2013

When a consultant's office calls the referred patient, is that office allowed to say the name of their office?  Ex:  Got a call from a GI office for my husband.  The woman gave her first name and said she needed his medical hx before she could schedule an appointment.  I asked what office she was from, and she said she couldn't say because of HIPAA but that it was a referral from his PCP.  Is it true that because of HIPAA we can't even know who's ...

HIPAA Violation...
Nov 11, 2013

I posted earlier about a HIPAA violation I believe the company I am subcontracting for is committing. I'm considering filing a complaint, but not sure what this would entail. Before I go too far into it, has anyone filed a complaint against an 'employer,' for lack of a better term, as I am a subcontractor & not an employee? This issue is weighing heavily on my mind. I do have proof of emails sent back and forth that are not encrypted or secured in any way containing reports with t ...

HIPAA Compliant?
Apr 23, 2014

From what I am hearing, if you have an XP computer, you are not HIPAA compliant. It violates regulatory requirements. Then why is MM not supplying us with Windows 7? My XP computer they gave me was freezing up, so they sent me another XP. I asked them why they didn't send me Windows 7 and they said XP was cheaper. So now as of April 8, they are not HIPAA compliant. I would like to know how they get around this,,,,,,having many accounts and still having many employees submitting reports u ...

HIPAA Training
Jan 27, 2015

I get why they do these webinar things, but honestly, the person narrating sounds like she herself is bored. I try to follow it, take notes, but know deep down that when I do the test very little of it will have been absorbed, so am resigned to taking the test any number of times. It's kind of like watching a weather report you are waiting for, yet then when it comes on you realize you have completely blanked and it's over. I have a real problem focusing on webinars. ...

Question: If New HIPAA Laws Are Going To Come Down
Dec 23, 2009

sending a copy of the report to the wrong doctor, what about sending all this work offshore?  What am I not understanding?  If sending a copy to the wrong Dr. Smith constitutes a huge breach of security, then sending people's health records and personal information offshore constitutes a GIGANTIC breach of security.    ...

Question About HIPAA Rules
Jan 13, 2010

Couldn't we just leave a note on any report with a cc to "please verify physician name for copy" which would then take the burden off of our shoulders? Not a QA marker, but by doing Ctrl + Shift + Q. I plan on leaving a note for anything that is questionable at all, ie., only last name given, unclear, cannot verify, whatever... I am not going down with them.  Fire me for it, then I will file for unemployment and win because they cannot fire you for a doctors mistake and then I might ...

Well, It Has Already Started, HIPAA Laws.
Feb 13, 2010

If we do not check our screen where patient name, info, attending, date of birth, blah blah blah is not correct or we did not check to make sure the dictator name is correct or attending name in the screen, of did not fill in attending or dictator for, this will have to be notified to HIPAA.  If company does not notify HIPAA that an MT made a mistake and did not correct patient name, dictator name, attending, etc., my company will be fined big time and possibly the MT too.  Honestly, ...

HIPAA Data Breach
May 02, 2010

I am reading far too many cases of MTs being fired/threatened for copying the wrong doctor on a report.  While this constitutes an error, it does not (NOT) constitute a HIPAA breach.  HIPAA law is being wielded like an axe by misinformed management, with the regulations being used to threaten and fire a huge segment of the American workforce.  MTs fired for a "cc" issue need to report their job loss to their state labor department as well as the department of health and human se ...

UPDATE On HIPAA Class
Jun 04, 2010

Here's the latest in my inbox: "These classes will vary in topic and although we will strongly suggest you take some or all of the classes in the end that decision will be up to you. They will not be mandatory as previously communicated but strongly encouraged for any MLS who wants to continue their education and professional training. HIPAA is the first class we loaded into the system because of the new regulations which became effective in February.  Some of these regulations a ...

Anyone Accused Of A HIPAA Violation And Let Go?
Jun 22, 2010

x ...

HIPAA??? Privacy??? Texas???
Oct 06, 2010

And they DARE to threaten US with HIPAA??  What a crashing joke!! http://www.theaustinbulldog.org/index.php/Main-Articles/Main-Articles/department-of-state-health-services.html     ...

Code Of Conduct, HIPAA?
Nov 12, 2010

What a joke. They come down on us so hard about this, but there is information on ADT we have no reason to see such as SS numbers. I have a couple of dictators who actually dictate the patient's SS number and say to put it on the report. Not to mention the wrong patient information and cc names given by the dictators. I now will always leave a QA note every time a cc name is given without the first and last name or any ADT names given without first and last name. With thousands of MTs wor ...

HIPAA Compliant Email
Nov 23, 2010

The doctor's office is switching to digital. We are trying to find HIPAA complaint email or some  other way to transfer the voice files. Any suggestions? Thanks! ...