A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What are some good career ideas for an MT who wants - to move to another career?

Posted: Apr 10, 2014

Besides coding...

There should be something we can do - involving research!

[ In Reply To ..]
I think a lot of us like the research aspect of this job. I know I do. Anybody have any ideas?

It is likely that - xxx

[ In Reply To ..]
Most MTs do not have a clue how to do true academic research. What we do isn't research; it's just "looking things up."

Sign up to take your State exam and get matched up with jobs or VA jobs - I am doing that right now nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Are you being scammed? - There is NO VA EXAM!!!

[ In Reply To ..]
There is NO EXAM REQUIRED "to get matched up" with VA jobs!

In fact, there is no getting "matched up" with VA jobs, whether you test or anything else. There could be no test because they don't hire that way.

There are scams set up around hooking people up with state and federal jobs. It sounds like you are getting burned right now. Either that or you are fishing for more victims yourself -- this is the second time you have posted that misinformation. I corrected it before, too.

I am sure about this because I am a fed myself.

Again, THERE IS NO EXAM.

Again, THERE IS NO ONE WHO CAN MATCH YOU UP WITH VA JOBS.

There is no need to, because you are perfectly capable of looking for your own VA job! Just go to www.usajobs.gov and search for them. That is where they post jobs ... ALL of them.

Please don't fall for this scam.

I AM NOT BEING SCAMMED - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
First off, you may have read my post the wrong way and now that I have it again, I can see where you would get the wrong idea.

No, I am not being scammed. I'm not stupid. What I meant was that I myself Googled for the State exam for the state I live in and there are times and places to go take the State exam and when/if you pass then you will be emailed State jobs that you are eligible to apply for. My friend has done it and has a great job.

Secondly, I am also aware of www.usajobs.gov because I am going through the application process myself for a position in my town that is a satellite clinic to the big VA hospital in my state capital. I am not trying to scam anybody and I have no idea which old post you are referring to that you had to correct as that was not me.

So please don't assume that I was trying to scam anybody or that I've fallen for a scam myself.

Sorry OP if I worded my post in a confusing way but I did not mean it to sound stupid, just wanted to fit it all in the title box and not have to type in here.

Chill
I KNOW THERE IS NO VA EXAM - WOW
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry I tried to help!
I didn't think you were being scammed. - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the additional info. I will be checking into that in my state.

Just saw your post regarding state and federal exams - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
You do have to test for federal positions as well as state positions. Also, "veteran's preference" does apply -- to the tune of an extra 5 points. I am a former state Civil Service employee, so I get 5 points for my previous employment as well as being the widow of a veteran, so another 5 points there. Therefore, if I score 100 on a test, it is actually 110 -- they will give preference to the people with the higher scores; so even if you score 100, there is no guarantee that you will be called for a job.

The VA does not use a civil service test - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you can find one, please let us know.
Better check your facts again - poster from above
[ In Reply To ..]
VA jobs are under USAGovjobs.com website. Those jobs DO require testing of some kind. You cannot just waltz into a VA Medical Center and apply. Even when the government had MT jobs, it required a civil service examination because at that particular time, they were classified as GS11 or GS12, which determines the FEDERAL pay scale.
That s NOT the federal job website! - It is an imposter.
[ In Reply To ..]
You are going on information that is nearly 2 decades out of date, or you are buying into a scam.

The website you gave, www.usagovjobs.com, is a "look alike" imposter. It is one of several imposters. The correct address is www.usajobs.gov. I linked to it below.

The VA jobs that you would be applying for do not require a civil service test. If a test is required, it will be listed in the job announcement. Other criteria are used to evaluate your ability to do the job--education, skills, abilities, and experience.

The infamous "test" was eliminated years ago -- I think in the mid-90s. However, there are still scammers who sell test prep information and booklets, and who offer to match applicants with available jobs, and who sell job listings like they are some kind of secret. Some even imply that they have to help you with the application for it to be official. It is a scam.

There is no need to go to a VA medical center to apply because the announcements and applications are all online. Just search for jobs, see if you qualify, and apply for it online (all on usajobs.gov).

The VA still has medical transcription positions at some facilities. You can apply for them. There won't be a test. The grade has never been GS-11 or 12, though. GS-1 to 2, maybe in the past. I think they might be 4 or 5 now.

General HIM staff are 4 or 5. Coders are 6, 7, 8, and possibly 9.

I work there, so I am pretty certain of this.

Poster from above - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
YOUR link happens to be the same one that I mentioned. I also went to that website before I came on here and saw your post. I have known of this site since at least 2000, when a friend of mine who was a government employee, used the website. I remember looking at MT Jobs, most of which were I believe a GS5 or C6, and at that time, I was surprised at how low they paid (this was at a period in time when I was making 10 to 12 cpl working from home), plus the fact that it would have required a cross country move.

All of these jobs, including the ones in VA facilities, require an EXTENSIVE background check (which you failed to mention)as well as the fact that points are given to those people who have worked in prior "civil service capacities, whether they be state or federal. I am a former state employee, plus the widow of a veteran; hence, I would be awarded an additional 10 points on top of my written score. Hence, if someone off the street walked in and took the test and scored 100 and did not have "those preferences," my score at 110 would beat that person out when it came to an interview,etc. Sooo, get off YOUR horse and I would suggest you get YOUR facts straight!

OMG, it is, it isn't, it is...I'll take any test with a job - opportunity on the other end. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
.gov is always safe in answer to the scam paranoia.

It depends on what you enjoy doing - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Are looking into furthering your education? Do you enjoy hands-on work (nursing, radiology tech, etc.). Are you looking into doing something entirely different? What do you enjoy doing?

I would prefer not to go back to school at all. - learning on the job is preferred.

[ In Reply To ..]
I have limited means to go back to school. Signed up for a coding course, which I despise, so that was a waste. I'm honestly not sure what I want to do at this point.

Department of Labor? - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you could talk to someone at your local department of labor to see what jobs are available or what career options they would recommend for you. You could also try some online searches for career explorer, job explorer, etc., to research different jobs and the skills and education required for those jobs. Maybe you could also explore something you would be interested in doing through volunteering or job shadowing? If you ever think you might want to go back to school or just want to test the waters of what you might be interested in, you could try some free courses through the open courseware consortium. Good luck finding your new path :)

You may be limiting your opportunities - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
by being unwilling to get formal training. The most stable jobs with decent pay require some kind of skills or training. You will be competing with people who have acquired the necessary training, so you will be at a disadvantage. Why should an employer go to the effort and expense of training you when they can get someone already trained and ready to go?

Probably the only jobs that provide OJT are minimum-wage Mcjobs. Those are not jobs that offer much of a future.

Depends on what you want to do - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want to stay in the medical field, you could think about working as a medical secretary, patient registration representative, unit clerk, medical scribe, etc. You might also want to look at AHIMA's website. They have a career map with information on different positions. There are other HIM positions besides MT and coding. If you don't want to stay in the medical field, then it really depends on what you want to do, how much money you need to make, and whether you have the time and money to go back to school to get the training you need to do something else (if that is your choice). If you don't know what you want to do, you might consider career counseling or reading the book What Color is Your Parachute?

Without furthering your education, there isn't much - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You could always go into medical reception, secretary, scheduler, etc. Those are pretty low paying jobs. I also tried coding and it was not for me at all. What about medical assisting? It's a short course. Or maybe just get out of healthcare all together?!

I've been asking myself that question for close to - 10 years, and still have no good ideas. :(

[ In Reply To ..]

Court Reporting/Captioning/CART - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
For a very lucrative career change, check out the above. You do not need a degree but need to pass a state test at 225 words a minute. You can take a home study course (around $3000 to $5000)or check to see if a school around you offers it. For the very dedicated and disciplined person, this is ideal. I personally took a court reporting course in a college 20+ years ago and loved it. I got up to 200 words per minute in 1-1/2 years, but then my life fell apart (divorce)and I could no longer focus. I went from Court Reporting classes to MT and it was a natural progression, so I feel the opposite would be true.

Have you seen those captions for the deaf on TV? If so, that is what a captioner does. CART has something to do with sitting in classrooms for the deaf (either on site or remote). This field has opened up to include a lot more than court reporting, but you need to take court reporting courses to be able to do it at speeds that people talk.

Google these terms, and you may be surprised that this is an in-demand field.

Time frame to get to 225 words would be anywhere from 1-1/2 years to several years, depending on a variety of issues. If you have a job already and are doing this in your spare time, it would probably take longer. Course material should also include medical and legal terms.

What worked for me - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Law school.

Similar Messages:

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...

Need Good Ideas On Being Productive With
Sep 14, 2012

Will be many different clinics.  I am accustomed to acute care only but this account will be about 70 percent clinic and 30 percent acute care.  TIA ...

Career Step - Knows Good Or Bad
Jan 26, 2010

I am just curious if anyone knows good or bad about Career Step Medical Transcription and Medical Billing/Coding online courses.  I would appreciate any opinoins about this particular online school.  Thank you. ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Career Step - Is A Good School To Attend For MT Training
Jan 15, 2011

I would like to know if anyone thinks Career Step is a good school to attend for MT training. Andrews and MTEC are quite a bit more expensive and I don't think I can afford them. I can't really afford Career Step. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Any Ideas??
Feb 12, 2012

Help! I am transcribing from some tapes, yes tapes, and the sound quality is extremely poor.  Wondering if anyone knows if conference mode versus dictation mode makes any difference in sound quality.  Need to do something.  Digital would be best if I can convince them to change.  Thanks for any suggestions. ...

Need Some Ideas.
May 24, 2012

Well this whole transcription thing is not going well. Duh! With a really bad work schedule, an hour commute each way and now the threat of the hospital outsourcing our department, I am trying to think of something I can do from home besides work for peanuts for a MTSO. I am expecting my first child soon and really want to be home with him.  Does anyone have a friend or family member who has successfully implemented her own business (perhaps with a transcription background) and if so, ...

Any Ideas?
Dec 11, 2013

Tried testing for Accentus, but my foot pedal would not play the voice file.  It did absolutely nada.  I could not go backward or fast forward.  I was able to hear the test voice file just fine, so I went ahead and hit the tab to take the test.  I transcribed 4 words, went to back up, and I couldn't.  Any suggestions as to why my stinking foot pedal would not work?  It works fine when I am transcribing for my present service.    ...

Ideas??
Apr 07, 2015

Hi Guys/Gals,   I am dictating a doctor who sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles.  Under Physical Exam he states, "Abdomen is soft, no _____megaly.  It is not organomegaly because I have transcribed this doctor many times and it sounds nothing like it.  Any ideas on what else it could be?  ...

Ideas On Chairs
Jul 18, 2013

Hello all,  I have been in the transcription business now for 8 years and I have yet to find a comfortable chair! Comfort is everything when you are trying to stay in one spot to get a decent line count and when your butt is numb or tailbone hurts it's hard to do that!  Could you please share what kind of chairs you all have?  I am determined to buy one this weekend even if it is outrageously expensive!    TIA  ...

Why All The Scams Lately? Any Ideas?
Feb 09, 2014

Its getting sickening. ...

Any Ideas For Wording?
Mar 11, 2015

I am rewriting my resume to get out of the MT field.  Was wondering if anyone had any words or phrases that might help describe strengths the average MT has that would transfer to the "real world" ?  Thanks so much. ...

Does Not Sound Correct, Any Ideas?
Feb 04, 2010

This is typed exactly as said, but does not seem correct to me.   Examination of her tendo Achilles on the left does show some thickening in the primarily tendinous portion for about a 3 inch length.  She is mildly tender but it is markedly thickened.   tia. ...

Mentoring - Any Ideas Or Advice?
Mar 05, 2010

I am a recent grad and would like to start working part time however, I believe i need more experience in transcribing actual reports. I would like to have a "mentor" so that I can be more confident in my ability to transcribe and not be afraid to apply for a position as a medical transcriptionist. Can anyone give my any ideas or advice? ...

Footpedal Mystery, Ideas Anyone?
Dec 09, 2011

I need to work in bed for a few weeks due to a leg injury. Does anyone have any ideas so I can use my footpedal?  I have been trying to think of something to use besides pillows to hold it in place at the right angle but I'm not having much luck.  Figured one of my brilliant peers would have ideas!! ...

Deskjob Munchy Ideas
Jan 30, 2012

Hey fellow MTs, I don't know about any of you, but I constantly desire munchies or something of the like at my desk while I'm working.  As my waistline has been increasing steadily over the past few years, I was wondering if any of you have any healthy or even somewhat healthy munchy ideas.  So far I've gone from M&Ms and Hershey Kisses to peanuts and raisins, but...yeah...I wouldn't mind some other ideas.  Thanks all! ...

Ideas For New Comp Plan
Aug 15, 2012

Since it is obvious the new comp plan isn't done maybe we could give them help and point in the right direction.  I would love to hear what everyone thinks, good or bad.  Would you rather get paid hourly or by the line? How about a shift differential for the weekend? What about extra money per report for those accounts with multiple carbon copies and tedious demographic screens? Some companies consider FT and offer benefits at 32 hours, would that be something anyone would be ...

Anyone Have Any Other Work From Home Ideas?
Apr 04, 2013

So far, I'm still hanging in there with MT, wondering how long this will last, like many of us are. I'm prepared to get a job outside the home if need be and will be starting school soon, but am wondering if anyone might have the scoop on any other ideas to make a little money from home. ...

Scholarship Ideas Requested
May 14, 2013

Hi folks.  I'm an ex-MT of 32 years.  When I was 50 years old, I started college, got a degree in IT, and am now an IT Project Manager. I know the financial struggle my fellow MT's are going through, and I want to give something back to help others have the ability to feed their families once again and to stop losing their houses. I'm considering setting up a college scholarship fund.  It won't be overly large in the beginning, but it will be a start.  I ...

Careers MTs Switch To--Ideas?
Sep 06, 2013

What type of careers are any one of you who are leaving MT or who are former MTs are retraining for? I'm very undecided. I'm not too crazy about being in school a long time or least longer than 1-1/2 to 2 years. I thought about coding but heard that that field is changing too like MT. I would like to stay in the medical field but I'm not sure about the degree of direct patient contact I want. I thought about radiology technician but not really sure. Any ideas to at least all ...

Totally Baffled, Any Ideas?
Mar 21, 2014

Can anyone give me insight as to what I may be doing wrong here?  I applied to a large company as an IC for evening shift.  I passed the first interview, took the test and was told I scored very high and the QA score on the testing was 99.9%.  I have 20 years experience.  I have done straight transcription (250 plus lines per hour) and voice recognition (400 plus lines per hour) and was willing to do either one, was willing to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening shifts.& ...

Any Ideas How To Get Past Burn Out? Right Now, It's
May 01, 2014

not really feasible to look for another job outside home. I live in a very small town and care for my aging mother who is not in the best of health. Right now I'm really feeling a major period of burn-out with transcription. Most days, I'm ready to throw my hands up and quit, just walk away from it, but then I see my checkbook laying on my desk as a reminder that I can't do that. I'm tired of trying to understand mushmouth practitioners, those who talk at the speed of light, ...

Portable Computer Cart Ideas?
Feb 27, 2010

As my family leaves the next, I would like to be able to come out of my work "closet" and be able to set up in my family room by a big window.  However, when we have guests, I would like the option of moving the cart back into the closet.   Has anyone found anything that works for this?  The cart has to be sturdy enough to hold all the computer hardware including a printer.   So many that I see have a support or floor under them which would prohibit the use of a foo ...

Needing Help And Ideas Re: Googling V NonGoogling
Jun 14, 2010

I am about to take on an account where I work in the hospital's VPN.  Their VPN blocks the internet entirely.  I am used to quickly going to very good websites for dosages of drugs, spelling of difficult words and meanings of certain words which docs may say out of context.  But now I am about to experience a wall where I cannot get to the internet while typing on the hospital intranet.  Besides having to buy another computer, does anyone have any suggestions (aside from ...

Dream Kitchen/office Ideas
Jul 30, 2010

Hi my fellow MTs!  Pinch me I am dreaming!  My SO is building us a new home, and Monday we meet with the kitchen designer/cabinetry dude to layout the kitchen, which will include my office. He was insistent that he build a corner desk overlooking the woods, the best view of the house!  He did not want me holed off in another room of the house, but wants to keep me in the heart of it!  Yes, he has an ulterior motive... preparing scrumptious meals while I work... but thats fine ...

Orthopedics, S/l Paroko Testing. Any Ideas? TIA Nm
Apr 19, 2012

sss ...

Med Listed In Allergies: S/l Nagonox? Any Ideas?
Jun 29, 2012

n/m ...

Problem In Seeking Own Clients. Ideas?
Jan 30, 2013

So I've started pounding pavement..but switched to calling first to ask if I may bring my business card and a flyer outlining my services to them.  Here's why: Besides the percentage that only use EMR, the others fall under a huge umbrella of healthcare chains, and these chains outsource their MTs. Out of about 30 so far, I found ONE chiropractor who was independent and took my info saying they may need an MT soon, and one other who said he's had the same MT for 30+ years (lu ...

Ideas To Increase Editing Productivity?
May 11, 2013

Since most of us are stuck editing for miniscule wages, lets share ideas on things you do, or have tried, to increase productivity. I haven't done editing for a long time so am experimenting with new things. Does anyone use their expansion software to perform commands like to quickly do reformatting? How about discontinuing duties you used to perform like searching for the first name of a doctor to CC? Timesavers when proofing, like ignoring the ROS and PE? How many can suces ...