A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

REMINDER: Status and pay for work on VA accounts - Whistleblower

Posted: Dec 18, 2014

Since there have been postings in the past couple of days by MTs who are working on VA accounts who seemingly are being paid by the line, here is a reminder.

If you work on VA accounts, you must have employee status and be paid the Wage Determination Rate specific to that county.  You can look up  your specific WDR on the federal government's Wage Determinations Online website.  The link is below.

Also, you must be paid for ALL work you perform, and this includes looking up information, phone and email communications necessary to perform your job, required training, etc.  No exceptions.  Period.  You are an hourly employee.  Not an independent contractor, not a volunteer, and not a slave.

If you are not being properly compensated, you can file an ANONYMOUS complaint with the DOL.

Stand up for yourselves and for what is right!  

Thanks! - memt2

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for this information. I work on VA accounts and do training every year and have never been paid once for the time spent training. I also don't get paid for any email communications, looking up info between jobs for work, etc. Very interesting to learn this. Anyone else on VA accounts tired of this?

VA accounts - I wish

[ In Reply To ..]
I recently lost my long-time VA account to another MTSO, according to this board possibly an Indian company. In searching for a new position, I've contacted @ 10 VA MTSOs in the last few weeks and all pay significantly less than the prevailing wage noted in that link. Thank you for that link, but it asks questions that I'm not sure we know the answer to as far as what the contract date was, etc. Most of the salaries I'm seeing are around 7 cpl and most are unbelievably going back to IC. Some are counting VBC lines, some are counting VBC characters, some are still doing regular 65 character lines. I have not seen one that is the same. I'm being told by the recruiters that it all depends on the specific contract. The contract specifics aren't being published on the FBO page anymore, so I think we would have to contact the contract officer on each account to try to learn if it is the exact sort of contract specified on your link. Very good topic of discussion though, and I'm very grateful for your efforts.

It is not likely that your status and pay depend on the specific contract - Whistleblower

[ In Reply To ..]
Contracts cannot contain terms that violate the law.

According to the Department of Labor, a worker is an employee, rather than an independent contractor, if certain conditions exist. If a worker is an employee and is working on a federal government service contract, that employee must be paid the Wage Determination Rate according to the McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act of 1965. In the past, lots of MTSOs that have VA contracts have claimed that their MTs were independent contractors or statutory employees and therefore the SCA did not apply to them. They paid their MTs by the line. However, when audited by the DOL, they were caught and were forced by the DOL to change the status of their "ICs" to employees and to pay them the WDR along with benefits.

Employers who are violating the law will often claim they are complying with it in order to preempt any challenge by a current or prospective worker. It is so critical for us to be aware of what the laws actually are. Just because a recruiter told you they can pay you cents per line on a VA contract does not make it so. It is not so.

hmm question - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a company that "complies." When we report our hours, we do it as one single value as a total of all accounts we work on. The pay rates vary wildly. I've run the math and seems like being fast on a lower paying account reduces my pay.

Ok, this is an example how things work!
Account A: $16.00/hr
Account B: $12.00/hr

My lines:
Account A: 1000
Account B: 200

Say I spent 5 hours typing account A
and then help out account B and spent 5 minutes (I know unrealistic, but it demonstrates).

If I didn't type account B, I would have gotten: $80 ($16 x 5)
But I did type account B. Here's the math:
Total lines typed = 1200
Account A was 0.83 of those lines
Account B was 0.17 of those lines

My "hourly" pay for this pay period is:
Account A: $16 x 0.83 = $13.28 +
Account B: $12 x 0.17 = $ 2.04
=$15.32/hr

5 hours 5 minutes = 5.08 hours
$15.32/hr * 5.08 hours = $77.87

By helping out on this low paying account and being extremely good, I actually lost a couple dollars!

If anyone sees anything wrong with that logic, please do tell.

Calculation - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If the rates are different, why are you submitting combined hours? If you worked 5 hours on account A, that comes to $80. If you worked 5 minutes on account B, that comes to $1. Your total pay should be $81. If your company is complying, they should be paying you as an hourly employee according to the rate for each account according to the time you spent on each account, not according to each account's percentage of total lines typed. The MTSO is being paid by the client according to the line. That has nothing to do with how the MTSO is supposed to be paying you.

that's what we're told to do - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
We don't keep a tally of time for each account. Presumably, they had someone help them with compliance (setting up health insurance, keeping tracking of vacation, etc). It seems strange to me too.
What if you are told you have to make 190 to 200 lph - sm - JavaMT50
[ In Reply To ..]
and calculate your time based on your time typing, not looking up account information, cc information, spelling of a doctor's name, etc., only counting your time spent typing the report, how do you calculate that? It seems to me that in all actuality, unless you have a good bunch of dictators and a database at your fingertips with all of the doctors listed, you would be taking longer than 1 hour to make 190-200 lph.

VA Accounts - BeenThere

[ In Reply To ..]
This is interesting to know. No wonder when I worked a VA account, which did require a lot of research for which I was not paid, that when I would check my reports they were not under my name but the MTSO owner's name. They were probably raking in a nice profit off my back and just paying me per line as an IC.

VA Accounts - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are dependent upon VA accounts, you should find something else, because how you are paid is the least of your worries. They have a huge contract with Nuance for front end SR, which is already being rolled out. The intent is for that to eliminate all outsourced MT. Soon.

Similar Messages:

Reminder That Anyone Working On VA Accounts Must
Jun 23, 2015

I am posting this because a company called Stone Network posted an ad on the jobs board for VA transcriptionists for IC positions.  That's a big fat no-no, Stone Network.  Someone is going to rat you out to the DOL and/ or the VA. ...

Odd That We Get A Reminder About The
Feb 18, 2013

proper NJA procedure at the end of last week, and then Monday morning, absolutely no work.  When they know something big has just happened, why don't they just tell us? ...

Reminder:
Aug 25, 2014

Use Remedy! ...

They Sent Out An Essay Reminder
Mar 25, 2010

I just got an email in my MQ box "reminding" us about this "friendly" little essay contest that they are trying to  shove down our throats.  Apparently the response hasn't been overwhelming (gee, I wonder why) if they have to do that. I know it's hard for those of us trapped at MQ to hang on.  I am one of them too.  No jobs out there right now and I'm taking courses.  But I have to make something to somewhat survive so I have to stay. All I say is, make ...

Reminder To Self: Do Not Send Anything To QA!
May 03, 2010

Okay, it was the end of the week and on my very last document I had 1 word that I could not get - so I sent it to QA.  Lo and behold!  The entire document was picked apart for ridiculous things and some things were even changed incorrectly.  All that and my blank space WAS NOT even filled in!  No more QA for me! ...

Reminder About FIESA....
May 07, 2013

Everyone needs to review Fiesa audits carefully. I received several "below 99" scores over the past 2 weeks and each of them had errors where they counted off for things that the account specifics said to do the way I did them and these incorrect deductions put  me below 99% on those reports . I put in the request to have those scores changed and in each case it will bring those audits to up above 99%.  Review and speak up when they are wrong! ...

Another Strong Arm F11 Weekend Reminder..sm
Apr 21, 2011

Another "strong" reminder about working Fri, Sat and Sun and also the F11 DO NOT DO IT! reminder by our CCM.  I would like to see a CORPORATE message on this, because I think, like the former post way below, some of the CCMs are misreading the dictate from corporate.  But of course, they are all off until next Tuesday.   Everyone have a Blessed Easter, Passover or Spring Celebration ---   Suits take advantage of the so-called Christian holiday, even though they ...

Just A Reminder, 1 Of The Major 2, During A Webcast, Said MTs Will NEVER Make What
Oct 23, 2012

s ...

Friendly Reminder From FIRED Ex-employee
Jan 15, 2015

I see there are so many new people on since I left. Anyone who has been threatened, I just want to remind you to PLEASE, COPY AND PASTE your emails in another file and SAVE them or PRINT them. When I was fired after I failed their 3 week probation type test, by the time I hung up the phone I WAS LOCKED OUT OF EVERYTHING. I had no proof of ANYTHING, any of the threats, etc. I just don't want anyone else to have to go through what I did. The threatening emails about MUP or not reaching th ...

Just A Quick Reminder, Please Remember That Replying To Any Email In The Account With Which
Jan 06, 2015

...traceable path right back to your computer. Nuance can and has routinely blocked many people from further access to this board, which means you would have to use another device, a public library computer, cell phone etc. I know of people to disappear from the company altogether too.  Remember, they are software geeks at heart and can accomplish savage deeds. And to the grouch that always tells us to post something new? Some messages are worth repeating time and time again, because new ...

For Anyone That Works At TTS Are The Accounts Difficult Accounts And
Jul 09, 2013

how is the platform.  I know people have negative comments about them but are there any positive ones.  I would only try it PT and IC.  Not sure that would work out or not.  ...

I Assume The Bayscribe Accounts Are The Old MDI-MD Accounts -- Sm
Jan 30, 2014

is that correct? If so, are CB and DF still involved? I love Bayscribe, and I was thinking about biting the bullet and applying to Nuance for some PT work, but I kind of butted heads with the 2 ladies and so I don't want to waste my time. Thanks for your input. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me, For FT Status PTO.....
May 11, 2010

I noticed I had 19 hours of PTO, had this amount for the past couple of weeks.  After this last payday, it's still the same 19 hours.  I thought they added our PTO every PP?  At least they did in the past, I'd always see approximately 6 hours added every PP.  Is this yet something ELSE they are ripping us off for?  ...

?IC Status For VR Pay?
Aug 08, 2010

Hi.  New to VR and just received an e-mail from a company I inquired at.  They are paying 0.030 per line for VR editing for ICS.  Is this really low or am I in another universere???!!!  TX  I haven't done VR - but straight transcription I average 200 LPH.  I have no idea what I would make at this rate.  Any info please! ...

Status
Dec 06, 2010

Where can we find our employee status, such as tier, FT/PT/benefits, etc? ...

ORM Status?
Feb 19, 2011

ORM?  status.  The patient is DNR/DNI. I don't think I've come across ORM yet.  I've done a search on google and can't find what ORM stands for. ...

IC Status - What Is The Going Cpl ?
Nov 18, 2011

If I accept a position as IC, what is the going cpl ?  I realize I will have to pay employer and employee SS and Medicare, self-employment tax as well as federal.  Not sure if I want to do this or stay as employee status.   ...

How To Get DEP Status
Jun 19, 2012

Just got off the phone with support.  DQS down globally. ...

Exactly What Is IC Status?
Feb 17, 2013

I just saw an add for Medscribes in KY that says the job or position is IC status.  Yet they give specific hours they want you to work.  It was my understanding that IC status was you set your own hours more or less and also pay your own taxes, etc.  Please clarify. ...

MME Status
Apr 03, 2013

I got an email saying that I had passed the testing for MME but haven't heard anything from my TSM about what I should do next, anyone else in this situation?   ...

Anyone Know The Status Of This
Jan 13, 2014

http://www.missouriemploymentlawattorney.com/documents/Complaint.pdf ...

IC Status?
Mar 26, 2014

What "really" happened to IC status?  How did we turn into employees without benfits?  I recall when IC was REALLY IC.  I took a break and things had changed pretty drastically!  We now are required to basically do "shift work," which I understand to a point, but it sure isn't the way it was!!  I recall getting paid more because we did not get benefits, more for fast speakers and ESL--what happened to that?  I personally just dropped out for awhile, and a new ...

MDI-Transcend IC Status
Nov 23, 2009

Got my packet today.  Not a word about IC option.  Has anyone been okayed to go ahead as IC status yet?  It's obvious in all the calls that employee status is the big push and I wonder how easy they are going to make it to be an IC instead. ...

Employment Status Changes
Dec 06, 2009

For anyone who has changed from full-time to part-time status, have you still been able to get time off when needed, and what exactly is meant by flexible part time (flexible for whom)?  With all the recent changes, I am finding it necessary to begin heading in another direction. ...

Questions About IC Status
Jan 21, 2010

I've worked for an MTSO for about nine years.  Work is scarce, and I need to find another part-time job or maybe just leave and work full time.  I don't know anything about IC.  I see things like you are required to do your own taxes and can work the flexibility of what you want as long as you get the TAT.  I know insurance is not covered in these positions.  But how do you handle time off for vacations or personal days?  Do you go on vacation and then com ...

IC Status And Deductions
May 25, 2010

I have just started a new job as an IC.  I have been an employee and statutory employee but never IC.  I know I pay quarterly taxes and have had them set up by my accountant.  He, likewise, knows of all the deductions I can take, but I have seen a post on here giving a website where you can get this information, as well. Can anyone give me the link to this site?  Thanks very much!  ...

IC Status Question
Sep 27, 2010

I have 2 accounts, who only dictate once a month. I work for someone who has lost a lot of their work, and so I can't count on them as before. I have 1 other account where I could work until my fingers fall off, but I am concerned about IC status. If I keep these small accounts and maximize working for the the larger one, would I still be considered an IC? How many clients do you need in order to maintain IC status? Does the IRS care if they don't produce enough income to give me a 109 ...

DOES MEDQUIST HAVE IC STATUS?
Nov 03, 2010

Not looking to be re-hired...just curious if they have IC status.  Last I knew all workers had to be employees. ...

Transcend Pay For CMT Status?
Dec 20, 2010

Does Transcend or ANY company pay for CMT status?  I used to have this certification but it was never recognized.  Wondered if things have changed.  Thanks. ...

ZYLOMED - From IC To Emp Status
Jan 26, 2011

Does anyone know why Zylomed starts you out as an IC and then offers employee status?  What does employee status get you?  PTO?  Benefits?  I understand there is no VR, do you know if it is all clinic transcription?  Are there any incentives?  Sorry for all the questions, but changing companies is so hard these days :)  Thanks for your help! ...