A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

RE: "I really am proud of those voicing support" - PRESS RELEASE

Posted: Apr 25, 2012

Press Release 

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Note: This revised press release now contains a paragraph about a possible protest by medical transcriptionists, one of the most abused vocations in the industry.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MAY DAY 2012
Charlie May
David Hughes
http://denvergeneralstrike.org

Working people the world over will assert their power this International Workers’ Day, May 1, and Denver will be represented, according to the Denver General Strike Coordinating Committee.

The Committee, an offshoot of the Denver-Boulder Industrial Workers of the World union, is, along with Occupy Denver, coordinating a variety of activities to protest the subordination of workers and celebrate the holiday.

Leading up to May Day, the Committee has joined with post office workers, teachers and transportation workers in mass actions against cuts in funding, programs, services and jobs.

In metro neighborhoods, both the General Strike Committee and Occupy Denver are encouraging residents to meet in their common spaces or parks to create support and self-determining assemblies, as has been done especially in Spain and Greece in response to corporate and government austerity moves.

According to Denver General Strike Committee member Charlie May, the committee is raising funds to provide yard signs, brochures and window signs for the effort. “Our goal is to provide a platform for workers to stand up for their rights as the producers of value in society,” May said. “That may or may not take the form of withholding services—a form of general strike—at this time, but we are preparing for all expressions of working class power.”

New Paragraph: One possible national action is a protest by medical transcribers (MTs). For years, as with many other vocations, transcribers have been subjected to increasing pressure from boosts in workload, cuts in compensation, and more and more unpaid tasks (attending HR meetings, recording time worked, and reviewing email, are only a few examples). Some companies take advantage of MTs’ independent contractor status, which means workers do not get traditional benefits (including unemployment compensation), and do not have the rights that a worker with employee status has. Many who are home-based workers find it impossible to meet increased quotas and are not making minimum wage. Hospital MTs are increasingly being outsourced and finding that they cannot make a living at the companies who do the outsourced work. Outsourced workers often find that the output demands have skyrocketed so much that they, even the most experienced of them, have to clock out at the end of the day and then toil on their own time to make minimum quotas, which is an illegal, “wink-wink” policy, yet the practice continues.

Another issue with broader connections is support for the window-and-door manufacturing workers in Chicago. In 2008 these workers made national headlines when they took over their plant, then owned by the Republic Windows and Doors Company, rather than allow its closure. When the subsequent owners, Serious Energy, announced plans to close the plant again earlier this year, the workers again seized the plant and won a 90-day period to find a new owner or buy and run the plant themselves. That period ends May 24 and local solidarity organizers are watching the outcome with interest, especially in case solidarity activities are required at Serious Energy’s two plants outside of Boulder.

Both the Denver General Strike Committee and Occupy Denver have also been contacting local businesses who may be closing Tuesday, May 1, in commemoration of International Workers’ Day. One such business is the Mercury Cafe, a long-time restaurant and performance venue northeast of downtown Denver.

Those who are engaged in May 1 activities are urged by the Denver General Strike Committee to contact them to help develop a network of ongoing mutual support.

Okay, someone wrote a paragraph on MT? Been done before. - This helps us HOW?

[ In Reply To ..]
x

This is helpful - to me

[ In Reply To ..]
to know that someone is making an effort in the direction of change for MTs and letting others know what is going on this industry. Thank you.

HOW was this helpful... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the whole paragraph was ruined by the "wink wink." To each their own, I guess.

You guys out to be thankful for at least getting some - form of recognition for what you are

[ In Reply To ..]
going through. Whether you consider it helpful or not. At least someone is acknowledging the problems in this field.
Thankful? Surely you just. Money talks. - Recognition not needed.
[ In Reply To ..]
Talk is cheap. Action is something different, and absolutely no action will be taken against any company performing legal practices. Now, if they are not legal.... different matter.

One paragraph in a press release that very few will see, care, and never act on means nothing.
Sorry, surely you JEST. - excuse me. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Your attitude sucks and I bet you are one of the ones - on the low end of the totem pole..sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Your tone speaks volumes about your level of intelligence and if you are one of the ones struggling, I see why.

Most negative people I know in life, usually dont make it too far.

Your opinion is one of many and I thought it was nice of the OP to share.
how do you get "tone" in a post - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you are inflicting your own tone as you are reading, which would speak volumes about your level of intelligence!

Tone as in *verb* - strength, firmness, hostility. Not always referenced - by sound.
[ In Reply To ..]
Broaden your vocabulary a little bit.
Thanks guys, but I have got this. Totem pole? - I am the OP you address.
[ In Reply To ..]
My attitude has a grip on reality. My tone is actually matter-of-fact more than negative.

YOU, my dear, should definitely not be speaking of anyone's intelligence or tone. Your personal attack and stating that someone's attitude sucks actually speaks volumes about you, but I will not go into that. I am big enough to say that we can agree to disagree

FYI, I am not struggling. I make a good living at MT. I know BS when I see it. I have very, very many years of experience in life as well as MTing.

My statements have nothing to do with my being successful, negative, or intelligent. Just stating facts and what is a reality. I have tried to advocate for MTs for many years. I have written to the AHDI, state legislators, Congress, and Department of Labor. I wrote to magazines and news reports and talk shows. I know what I am talking about. Did you know that our government can not even guess at how many jobs are off-shored in this country. They have no idea. The people that matter will not act upon that article because they have much bigger fish to fry. So that article made you feel better? That's real nice.

This simple paragraph that most people will not understand or care about is certainly not going to reach the right people, and will not matter to anyone. However, if seeing that in print makes you think we have accomplished something, dream on honey. I know better.
thanks guys I got this?? - Got what?
[ In Reply To ..]
You would have been better off posting what you stated above:

"I have tried to advocate for MTs for many years. I have written to the AHDI, state legislators, Congress, and Department of Labor. I wrote to magazines and news reports and talk shows. Did you know that our government can not even guess at how many jobs are off-shored in this country. They have no idea. The people that matter will not act upon that article because they have much bigger fish to fry.

This simple paragraph that most people will not understand or care about is certainly not going to reach the right people, and will not matter to anyone."

**BUT** instead you posted with sarcasm and so yes, I STILL SAY your attitude sucked. Your **TONE** came off as rude and negative.

She chose to share this article and if you felt it pointless, you should have moved on. This board is filled with enough negativity as it is.
You are certainly a pot calling a kettle black. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You comment on negativity? Really....? Pot/kettle.

I don't recall asking your permission to post anything. If you did not like my comments, why did you not move on? Live and let live, my dear. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here, whether you like it or not. And personally, I really do not care what you think of my attitude.

No further posts to you are necessary.
RE: "No further posts to you are necessary." - Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
that's no answer to the question. It's just to STIR things up. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
Some will take any opportunity to insult and offend if they - do not agree with different views. nm either
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I think - you may

[ In Reply To ..]
have read the paragraph too quickly or just skimmed it. "Wink wink policy" was referring to a practice that occurs in this industry that MTs go along with, for whatever reason.
i know what it was referring to - didnt skim
[ In Reply To ..]
I dont think anyone else will understand and thought it sounded dumb. Oh well.

and so the fight begins...and it was such a nonRude morning. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do apologize to the people on this board. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I absolutely did not mean to come across as being rude. When I am told my attitude sucks, I am negative, and someone who does not even know me questions my intelligence, and my success, I wonder why I would advocate for the MT profession that I love when there are people like that included.

Hard time - following

[ In Reply To ..]
who is who and who said what to whom. If you would use the same handle, then it would be easier.

Seems like someone who makes a good living, advocates for MTs, made a negative comment about the original PRESS RELEASE?

I would like to know who you are and how you have advocated. You list talk shows, articles, etc. Can you be specific. Did you write the article using your own name? Were you on some talk show using your own name? Do you have links to your advocacy?

If you have done all this advocating, how are we where we are? Was that your point? Were you saying, look at all I have done and nothing has happened? So why should anyone else bother.

I don't get your point.
I would like to know who the press reporter is - lets start - at the top shall we? SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Lets not single out just one - lets START with the post that started all this crap...again.

sick of it dominating the this board and why did it spill over onto the Company board? TOTALLY UNNESSARY.

You say - so ok don't read them - there is NOTHING left here to read! So those of us who do not agree lose and entire board????

GFYS
Hard time following - I dont get it either. - What is her point.
[ In Reply To ..]
and what is she trying to say? She advocated, it did not help, so why bother?...Okay, confused here.
I think - slave wages
[ In Reply To ..]
I think someone shared a press release, someone liked it, then the OP said she didn't see why anyone would like it, and then someone jumped on her for being rude.
Oh! - Really?
[ In Reply To ..]
The OP (PRESS RELEASE) was posting because she didn't like the press release? But posted it anyways, out of sarcasm? I just can't go back and read it all. I would probably be more confused.
I did...several times. all I got was dizzy. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
No, here is the problem... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Some people misuse the term OP. OP means the poster who started the thread, but this poster used it to refer to her REPLY to the OP. So yes, she was the OP of her reply, but that confuses people.

My problem with her is this: She says she tried all of this stuff before to advocate for MTs. So why knock someone else who's trying it now? Would she have liked it if someone belittled her efforts at the time? Or maybe someone did, and now she's paying it forward? Seems to me if she really did all of those things she should be a little more understanding, no?
A personal attack is what caused the problem. - Not confusing at all really. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The poster stated her opinion about the Press Release article, nothing more.

Then the other poster came on with a personal attack against the previous poster, talking about attitude, tone, and other foul statements about the first poster, while at the same time actually talking about negativity on the board, which is amusing.

This is what happens when someone states an opinion about any topic and people choose to make personal attacks. It was unnecessary and uncalled for, even if you do not agree with someone's opinion.
Agree. At that point it is what it is--just plain silly. so, we got silly. - dizzy anon
[ In Reply To ..]
and quite funny when people keep trying to explain it.

Similar Messages:

Wow, Proud To Be A Part
May 29, 2012

of this company right now.  We really pulled together and worked as a team to overcome some tall obstacles that were thought unachievable over the holiday weekend; were given nice incentives and got very nice compliments from the higher-up management. We also received a nice little gift for MT week.  So while so many are here seemingly unhappy, I just had to say that those attitudes do not reflect all of us in the trenches.  Probably not even most of us.  But we th ...

So, Where's All The Proud TTS Cheerleaders, No
Jan 29, 2015

answers?  Several questions on this board about TTS that nobody wants to answer evidently.  1)  New oncology account out of Texas  2)  Account in Memphis still there that starts with a B?  Usually, the cheerleaders have a lot to say, but suddenly silent!  They must be basking in their glory as Nuance and TTS conspire to steal work! ...

Since The First Time Right Went Into Effect, I Am Proud
Mar 05, 2010

to say that none of my reports have been submitted to QA.  I am amazed at how quickly I became multilingual.  Thanks MQ.  ...

I WAS So Proud Of Those Raising Their Voices BUT NOW
Apr 23, 2012

I have edited this message to just let each of you read what was posted and feel proud or disappointed in the responses. ...

Scrotal Support S/l Support "T"
Feb 13, 2012

For surgical scrotal support, doctor says " a scrotal supportee was left in place."  I have googled this, looked in Stedmans GI/GU, surgical and equipment books.  Cannot find.    I would like to think scrotal supporting, but she definitely says "a".  Has anyone heard of this? Thanks.  ...

Mt No More Looking For Support Somewhere
Dec 13, 2009

I have been out of MTing for about 1.5 years now mainly because of lack of cash flow and work issues....haha..i am working for a local hospital in the laundry area..which i completely and utterly HATE... i am having difficulties with my coworkers and being used to working alone..i tend to say what i am thinking out loud rude or not at times and it is getting me in trouble not a lot but enough...all the chit chat about one another and gossiping is driving me insane...i do see that there aren' ...

Question About Support
Jan 13, 2010

In the process of "the merge," I spent more than 2 hours on the phone with 2 support guys and one advanced support guy, before they could figure out what the problem was.  This was unreimbursed time in the evening - MY time. The guy I walked with before the advanced support guy, who was logged on to my computer (MY computer, not MQ's) asked me for my password.  This guy was snippy and sarcastic, and I wasn't happy giving him my password, but since I needed the ...

No Family Support
Mar 29, 2010

I was all set to just quit MQ this past weekend, I had just had enough, even though I don't have another job yet, but am finishing my courses, which I am almost done with.  But my husband got upset about being the only breadwinner and dipping into the savings.  I can't get him to understand what I have to go through.  I keep hoping they will just fire me or lay me off so I can get unemployment, but so far nothing, even though I'm certainly not turning in the work I ...

Tech Support And The MT
May 12, 2010

Ok I have a question for any of you who have been in the field for a while or even new to the field like myself. I have just finished training recently and I have been searching for a job and I was offered a contract postion at a decent little company(*Name withheld) which I am in the process of considering, however I am hearing that this company is thinking of not offering full time tech support and expecting me to install and configure my own software and if I have a problem with my install th ...

S/l Trock Support - Sm
May 26, 2010

Patient with congestive heart failure - IM _____ (s/l like trock) support with dobutamine. ...

I Am Scared I Won't Be Able To Support Myself...
Sep 14, 2010

as an MT with only my income. I live at a place where I don't have to pay any household bills right now. But I want to move out. It's not a good place for me to be living. I plan to get an apartment in about 5 months. I am just scared I won't be able to support myself. i can get an apartment for about $400 to 700 dollars. Along with groceries, cable/internet, and utilities, I'm just unsure. I guess I'm looking for advice/reasurance from MTs who support themselves ...

Softscript Support
Jan 25, 2011

Some accounts freeze the SS client when using the cc: search, what the heck do you do since others go right into the cc: list with no freezing, no problem.....................  ...

NDI Support? Please See Message....
Apr 28, 2011

In review of systems, the doc is saying:  His s/l NDI support today is 12, his stress-free disability index is 8.   TIA ...

Does Anyone Know If Mt Support Is Still In Existence? NM
Dec 21, 2011

I have a feeling the ticket system took its place?? ...

Has Anyone Talked To Support?
Apr 02, 2012

Has anyone been able to get support to pick up the phone to let us know how long DQS will be down? ...

Need Moral Support
May 17, 2012

My first post here. I've been doing this too long, in deep pain every day I work. Financially struggling. Just some comfort knowing others can understand. I've been doing this so long, I have lost faith in my ability to try anything else, ya know. Anyone relate? Blessings. ...

Okay, Now Support Is In India Too!!! They Can't Help You Either. SM
Nov 06, 2012

I called support, and now it says you can be transferred to an International.  Well, guess what I got..... I was on hold several times, because he had to look up my "file."  In the end he was not able to help me.  Told me to call my TSM.  Then I looked at the confirmation email they send out with the summary fo the "incident" and the grammar is horrific. What happens if you work night shift, you know you will get International, because their afternoon is our night.  Tha ...

Tech Support
Jun 27, 2013

Had the occasion to call tech support this a.m.  I found them to be quite helpful and extremely fast in solving my problem.  Great experience.  I was impressed with their manners and speed. ...

Moral Support...I Need To Know I'm Not The Only One
Nov 24, 2013

Since MM bought out my company a few years ago, I have lived every day in fear...fear of audits, fear of pay cuts, fear of getting fired.  I'm a single parent, and this job is all I have to keep food on the table, pay my bills, and take care of my kids.  I enrolled in an online course a few months ago, which is somewhat empowering, but I can't shake this morbid fear of losing my job right now.  I know there are other jobs out there, and believe me, I have looked, but the ...

Support Would Be Nice-not Asking For Much
Mar 29, 2014

It is really terrible when you come to the board to make a comment someone always has to say something negative-sometimes we are only looking for support from fellow MTs. I do not understand why there is always so much backlash. If you do not have anything good to stay keep your comments to yourself. Life can be hard enough. When the table is turned hopefully there will be someone there to lend an ear and a kind word when it is needed. ...

Nuance Support
Jul 22, 2014

I sent them an inquiry about a problem I'm having and they sent me back ... get this ... instructions on how to send them an inquiry.  These people are less than useless.  Maybe they sent support to India along with our jobs.  ...

Think I Will Call Support
Aug 20, 2014

Sheesh. It is obvious they think we have the IQ of a 5-year-old and need to be told the same thing multiple times in case we didn't read it the first 3 times. ...

Just Called Support We Are Down
May 20, 2015

Accidenally hit my power button and logging back on I get unable to reach server..ticker number 1371940 ...

TTS? (Transcription, Technology And Support)???
Oct 16, 2009

Anyone have any experience with this company?  Please fill me in if you can.  TIA. ...

Pressor/pressure Support?
Dec 11, 2009

Patient is on ventilation and having multi-system failure.  Doctor is saying he is requiring increasing pressure/pressor support.  It sounds like pressor, but thought it could also be pressure.  I'm finding both around and am wondering which is correct. ...

I NJA Message Sent To Support Last Week
Jan 07, 2010

and just this afternoon I got a support number.  Huh?  I wonder if my CCM was ever informed of the NJA.  Maybe that's why my PTO for that NJA time isn't on my time card.  ...

For Those Using Ergo Gloves For Support
Feb 04, 2010

I have been using Handeze and now am looking again, at smartglove and softflex, leaning towards the latter. Anyone care to give their experience, and/or other recommendations?  thanks. ...

Transcription, Technology & Support
Apr 30, 2010

Is Transcription, Technology and Support the same company as TTS that everyone says is awful to work for and management is bad?  I am afraid to apply at companies that have 2 names and keep advertising for help.  That can't be a good sign.        ...

Just Talked With Tech Support
Jul 14, 2010

Thank goodness for this site, MTStars, to have any real-time communication. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...