A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My job is based on minute production. Are there any transcriptions out there who still use minutes - Janay

Posted: Aug 18, 2010

Our quota is for minutes only.  I average about 1400 lines a day though.  We have to make 90 minutes then we make incentive.

I do not hear anyone ever mention minutes.

Thanks in Advance for the replies. :)

paid per minute - melmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Like Janay, I'm paid per minute of dictation transcribed. I've been employee and now IC at the same hospital for over 14 years and this is the only way I've ever been paid. I've never done MT anywhere else. I'm contracted to transcribe a minimum of 110 minutes per day 5 days per week. I average 120 minutes per day, mainly radiology, some acute care. We don't have a line count on our software (Meditech) so I have no idea how many lines I do. I've been looking for a position with some of the MTSOs but I don't know how to compare my current production/income to what's being offered by companies that pay line rate. I also had one company that said they pay $1.10 per report (radiology), but it seemed awfully low? Any advice or comparisons would be helpful to me also .... thanks for input!

Per report versus per line - NCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm now being paid by line, after years of only being paid by the hour or per report. And I can tell you that being paid by the line you make much less. Especially if you do alot of VR, because your line rate is lower. I just did a simple little pole tonight on what I did on my PT tonight. It was slow, but I did 16 reports, 31.85 minutes, and 72 lines. And by the line was by far the lowest paid, at .08 a line (which is good and hard to get), and by report came in second at $1.30 per report. When I started per report, my rate was 1.30 and has stayed that and I didn't realize how good I was doing until I tried being paid by the line. Like you I was curious about it. I do mostly VR, and even being as fast as I am, I can do like 300 lines an hour (and thats thanks to a darn good system), I still pretty much took a $400 pay cut. I saw on here once someone was offered $1 a minute, and when I look at the amount of minutes I type, I always think "My God, if I could find an opportunity like that I could make a killing". But so far no luck.

I said all this to say that if you are getting paid per minute you are probably doing better than most, evan at $1 an hour. The only thing better is hourly, and hardly any of us get paid that way anymore.

Good luck with your search.

wow! I'm better off than I thought. - melmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for that comparison. I make more than $1 per minute so I guess I'm doing pretty well. Of course, that is as IC so higher taxes and no benefits, no PTO, etc. But that still makes me think hard about staying with my hospital in spite of problems !
Your welcome - nm - NCMT
[ In Reply To ..]
xxx
Heck ya you're better off! Here's my example: - Hayseed
[ In Reply To ..]
I just wrapped up a 22-minute report full of umms, ahhs, lots of paper shuffling, clicking of a mouse on dictator's end, whispered actual dictation with a liberal sprinkling of and "could you go back and delete that and put this in instead..." for a whopping 62 lines when all was said and done.

I'd totally rather get paid per minute or hour for the bulk of this verbal diarrhea.
;-)
Ouch! I feel for you... - melmt
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm beginning to realize I do have a pretty decent deal! I do lot of radiology with more short jobs than long so its harder to rack up big minutes than when I do acute care - but after your example and others, I think I better quit griping and start typing, huh? I had never been on this site until a couple of weeks ago and I am really getting an education on whats going on with MTs out there! Hang in there - maybe better things will come your way !

what line count program were you using - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a hard time believing that you were using an accurate line count program if you had 16 reports and 31.85 minutes of transcription and only got 72 lines out of it. I'm not saying you are lying, but I am questioning what program you used. I have always been paid by line and I have never done that many reports or that many minutes of dictation and had a line count that low. I would say you are being cheated if that is how the program is calculating your lines. You can copy the report, paste it into Word, go to tools and then select word count. Just to check and make sure your program is accurate.

Pole? - Stickler

[ In Reply To ..]
Just a hint - I discard applications which have HIPAA wrong - or use the wrong homonym, such as the above.

It's one thing to err when typing on the fly (I do it all the time) - but there is no excuse for there to be any errors in a resume; especially one being proffered for a position in which language skills are paramount.

When I worked for a hospital, they used minutes - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
I first was an employee, then IC. As an employee, we were to do 90 minutes a day, then they upped it to 100 minutes a day. No problem. We also had to cover the medical records room, pull files, send faxes, etc. I did 120 minutes a day in house.

As an IC at home, I worked 6 1/2 hours a day and it was very lucrative. I used to do 150 minutes a day. Never really worried about lines then. Wish I still had that job.

(I had to leave because I was out of work for almost 4 months as IC and needed to earn $$.)

think I'm better off with hospital vs MTSO - melmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for info. Based on what all I've been reading on these boards, working directly for hospital is more lucrative than MTSO whether per line or minute, except for the tax issue since I'm IC. Also need benefits so was considering MTSOs but hearing nothing but horror stories here, especially on company board. It's so confusing! (:

Definitely better. - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
I could afford private insurance and it didn't put much of a dent in my pay. Of course, that was over 10 years ago. Before I left, I was making $1.25 a minute.

My hours were whatever I wanted. I would be ASKED to work weekeneds or holidays to cover for the employees. I could make appointments if necessary during my usual hours and just tell the hospital. Of course, I kept a schedule and they could always count on me to be there except for those special appointments.

The only drawback was if the work was low, I was the first one that was told to take off.

The 'grass is never greener' on the other side as I found out. I would do it again if given a chance, but there's only 1 hospital in my area (the 2 merged) so they have plenty of MTs now.

want to compare how much per minute? - melmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you mind telling me how much you make per minute? Are you IC or employee? You can reply by email if you'd rather. Thought it might be helpful to compare. I'll be glad to respond with same info.

Similar Messages:

Fox Transcriptions Pay Of 40-50 Cents Per Audio Minute
Feb 06, 2013

Even at 50 cents an audio minute, if you get a 10-minute report that would equate to $5.00. Usually it takes 30 minutes to do a 10-minute report so that would mean one would receive $10.00 an hour. If only getting 40 cents, that's $8.00 an hour. PFFT! I don't see how this is any improvement over our standard slave wages, yet their ad sounds like they invented the wheel or sliced bread. With a name like "Fox," it's got to be bad. (Apologies to Smucker's.) ...

Grrr - 20 Minutes To Do A 3-minute ASR Job
Apr 20, 2013

Add to the numerous corrections plus formatting, an unfamiliar account. And.... why are there some jobs in my usual accounts sitting there and I am getting all these unknown accounts! ...

Production Based Editing
Dec 22, 2011

I have applied for a production-based QA position, and I have  heard of a minimum expected, but they gave me a max?  Do any of you have a max?  If so, how does this work? ...

30 Minutes And Only Get 1 Minute Worth Of Dictation
Nov 07, 2010

Don't you hate when that happens. I was all stoked up to get some lines for once and what would you know. I should have known it was too good to be true. ...

Is Coding Hourly Or Production Based?
Jan 21, 2010

Hi,   I am thinking of expanding my skills as a medical coder, but before I spend a bunch of money learning this as well, I wanted to know if it is based on production or hourly?  I would like to work from home.  I am burned out with transcribing and just not making what I want to be making.  I almost took coding instead of transcription 5 years ago.    Thank you so much! ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital And Have Production Based Pay?
Aug 13, 2011

THe hospital I work for is going to production based pay from hourly pay.  They have not told us yet what the pay per line will be.  Can anyone give me an idea of what the pay is per line for lines typed and lines edited.   I am concerned about taking a pay cut.  Thanks. ...

Line Production Based Upon Schedule
Jun 18, 2012

I've seen a good # of messages about the lack of work, and I'm wondering if the hours worked might be a contributing factor. IOW, people who work 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. would get more or less work than someone working the 2nd or 3rd shifts. ...

41 Minute Dictation! 41 MINUTES! Of The Worst Dictator!
Oct 08, 2010

Is it too much to ask on my last shift before the weekend that I get some decent work?  I swear the transcription gods are punishing me! ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

64 Minutes Of Phone Off The Hook - Not Wasting My Time Listening To The Entire 64 Minutes!
Mar 07, 2014

Only warrants periodic scans. If anyone comes back at me for that, they can listen to 64 minutes of nothing themselves. If the doctor dictated, too bad he did not follow protocol = put the dictation on hold when not dictating or hang up the phone! ...

Wow. I Have Been Clocked In 45 Minutes, And My Inactive Time Shows As 34 Minutes.
May 08, 2013

It appears to be only counting the active time to be the actual time the audio is playing and not all the time I spend in ADT and formatting. Looks like they may be manipulating the figure to ding people "for not actively working" for long periods of time. Hmmm, building another way to fire people? ...

Radiology Paid Per Minute? Is $1/dictated Minute Good, Bad, Average?
Mar 01, 2010

Have 4 years experience.  Mostly acute care/basic 4.   Got a job offer for Radiology using Meditech platform and pay offered is $1 per dictated minute.  This is an IC job.  Haven't done radiology exclusively before and haven't been paid per dictated minute either.  Thoughts? Thanks! ...

To Be BOS Correct, How Would One Write This: 3-4 Minute Episode, 3 To 4 Minute Episode Or 3 To 4-mi
Jul 09, 2013

I question things now that I never before questioned in my life!  Thanks for any help. ...

US Transcriptions
Oct 08, 2010

Anybody heard of or know anything about US Transcriptions out of Iowa? ...

Same Day Transcriptions?
Mar 15, 2012

I was hoping to find some recent information regarding the above-mentioned company. I have searched the archives, but the most recent posts seem to be from 3-4 years ago. I'm specifically hoping for some feedback from people who either work/have worked there or know someone who does. Also wondering if they hire as IC or employee status. Thanks! ...

Is It Mucous Secretions And Mucus Production Or Mucous Production?
Mar 11, 2013

Is it mucous secretions and mucus production or mucous production? ...

Anything About RI Unlimited Transcriptions?
Oct 15, 2009

Does anyone know anything about RI Unlimited Transcriptions? I have recently tested and passed and been interviewed to become an independent contractor with them, but was wondering if anyone is or has worked for them and their reputation before I commit myself. ...

WBG Transcriptions Service? Any One Know Them
Jan 17, 2010

NM ...

Preferred Transcriptions In PA?
Feb 09, 2010

Any information about this company would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

PREFERRED TRANSCRIPTIONS
May 05, 2010

Anyone have any recent info on "Preferred Transcriptions?" I see they are hiring and have searched the Archives, but would like to know if anyone works for them currently or has in the past few months who could give me some info on whether they are a good company to work for, do they have plenty of work, etc. I would appreciate any current info anyone might have! Thanks! ...

Anything About Transcriptions Express? 
Apr 18, 2011

Does anyone know anything about Transcriptions Express?  In researching them I found 3 complaints on the Rip Off Report about them.  They, evidently, charge for early termination, is this standard?  They also charge for equipment if you don't have any.  I think this is just a way for some companies to increase their bottom line.  It sounds like these were just disgruntled ex-employees.  There have been no new complaints since 2009 and the BBB doesn't have any complaints about the ...

EMT Medical Transcriptions
May 22, 2011

Does anyone know anythiing about EMT Medical Transcription from Miami? ...

Chase Transcriptions
Nov 23, 2011

Stay AWAY froim Chase Transcriptionis!!I jumped through hoops to get hired at this company.  Took an oral test over the phone and aced it.  Then took test on-line and aced it.  Then, they never got back to me on anything.  I called the company and they said that they only contact the person they hired.  How rude and unprofessional not to at least drop a canned email letting someone know that another was hired.  I would never work for this company, for no amount of m ...

Happy Transcriptions?
Oct 21, 2012

No address or FAX to send a resume. What kind of an ad is this? Is this a joke? ...

Secure Transcriptions
Jan 15, 2013

Has anyone ever transcribed for Secure Transcriptions? If so, what was your experience like? Did you get paid? Thanks! ...

Chase Transcriptions, Inc
Sep 08, 2013

Are There Still Any Companies That Do VA Transcriptions?
Oct 23, 2014

If so, what is the pay normally for VA work? I remember it being a lot better than most MTSO pay. ...

Transcriptions From Iphones
May 11, 2015

Has anyone ever transcribed conversations from an IPhone? ...

ANYONE WORK FOR CHASE TRANSCRIPTIONS?
Mar 22, 2010

I am desperately hoping someone can help me here.  I have posted 3 times without a single response.  I have been offered a job at Chase Transcriptions in Ohio and have to give them my decision.  I really would like to know how the company is to work for currently.  I found only old postings.  Thanks so much. ...

Preferred Transcriptions In Exton, PA - Sm
Apr 26, 2011

Anyone work for them?  Can anyone explain their work flow to me?  I don't get it.  Nice people but SO SLOW to send work.  E-mail me privately if more comfortable.  Thanks. ...