A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Mush Mouth Pay - TypewhatImeannotwhatIsay

Posted: Aug 11, 2010

I have been typing orthopedics for about 20 years and I think I am pretty good at it.  However, my company recently added on two HORRIBLE mushmouths.  They are not even really ESL, just lazy.  They must dictate with the microphone inside their mouths and one of them smacks his lips constantly.  And his dictation often makes no sense even when I can understand it.  When I worked in house I could do a dictator like this because I would just transcribe out of the patient's chart and my transcription was much better than what he actually dictated.  But working at home I'm stumped.  Most of the time  I can't even understand the name.  I have taken a lot of time with these mushmouths and I am slowly getting better with them but it seems I get stuck with them more and  more and I loose money because I miss out on the better dictators I can zip through.  And they are quick to pay me at a lower rate if my line count falls.  I am tempted to ask for more money for these guys but I desperately need this job right now.  Do you guys think I am a whiner or does it make sense to be paid more for this? 

Also, I have come to believe that sloppy dictators are sloppy doctors.  Sorry, but if you are too lazy and inept to open your mouth all the way and put your thoughts together in an understandable sentence, I don't want you taking care of me.

Sorry, just needed to vent!     

I have what I call "The Tongueless Wonder" - I hear ya

[ In Reply To ..]
This wench's dictation sounds like her tongue is freaking PARALYZED inside of her mouth and she is unable to move it. She might utter a 3- to 4-word string of halfway intelligible words, then right back to being "tongueless."

I think if I ever saw her on the street, I'd staple the tip of her tongue to her nose in appreciation of all of the hours of misery she's bestowed upon me.

I don't know if you'll be successful asking for a higher rate to do those mush-mouths, but you certainly have my sympathy for having to listen to them and lose pay in the process.

If I could choose just one dictator to be removed from my cue forever (by the way, this account is about 60% ESL), I'd opt to eliminate "The Tongueless Wonder" over any of the ESLs on the account.

Difficult Dictators - Irish

[ In Reply To ..]
I get nothing BUT difficult dictators. If an easy one inadvertanly gets in my queu it is removed. When I questtioned this I was told I was lucky to have stable accounts. I have never felt this was fair. Am I unreasonable?

"I loose money because I miss out on the better dictators I can zip through" - which is why you are now assigned 2 you cannot zip

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

mushmouthitis - typewhatImeannotwhatIsay

[ In Reply To ..]
And the sad thing is that it seems to be contagious. I work for a teaching hospital and I swear that the fellows and residents dictate exactly like the attending physician they work for. I wonder if they ever listen to themselves. Sometimes they sound like they've been swigging a bottle of gin and they're driving ME to drink.

DUH! - TypewhatImeannotwhatIsay

[ In Reply To ..]
Duh.

I didn't know this site had QA for posts. - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
It's called a type-o. Get over it and let her vent without being sarcastic and nitpicky.

ah, to ASSume. Again, they assigned her 2 harder ones, so - she cannot Zip thru and make a lot of money.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Has anybody else noticed? - Zenaida

[ In Reply To ..]
Has anybody else noticed that when you run into the worst mushmouth dictators face to face you can understand every word they say? And then the next time you get mushmouth's dictation again, it seems a little easier. But those of us working at home don't have the opportunity to meet our dictators face to face. I had one on the account I'm working on now and he was driving me out of my mind. I finally asked my supervisor to put five or six of his dictations into my que. I know not all supervisors can do that, but mine did. I sat here all day and waded through his garbage, kept copies (with patient info deleted, obviously) for future reference. A few days later I went back to look at the corrected reports to see what I had got wrong, corrected it on my copies and kept them as reference notes. Actually by the end of the day I was kind of getting used to him. He still slows me down a little, but not nearly as much and I almost never leave a blank anymore. Don't know if that would be a useful suggestion for anyone else, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

I have a jerk like this too... - Babette

[ In Reply To ..]
Is EFL, completely incomprehensible, also orthopedics. The only time in 20 years of doing this that I have turned in reports that were nearly completely blanks. Fortunately we have a repository of sample reports, and it turns out he is saying pretty much the same thing all the time.

mushmouth and speed demons - kcmt

[ In Reply To ..]
It's so funny to read this tonight. I type for an account with mostly ESL dictators...some of them I swear don't even bother with learning the language. Anyway, today I get an actual English speaker. I have had her before and she is clear and concise. I was especially excited as it was a hard day. We started off great and then WHAMMO!! I think she put her microphone in her armpit as she finished the report. I could not even fake it with prior reports of hers. Just a perfect ending to a perfect day. Sarcasm off.
Mush mouth stories - typewhatImeannotwhatIsay
[ In Reply To ..]
We should all write a book about this. These docs are unbelievable. My mush mouth just now actually said quite clearly "The patient is amenable to surgical surgery." As opposed to nonsurgical surgery, I guess. I would never let that bozo near me with a scalpel.

I did have an ESL resident who was rather cute. He kept saying "The patient's feets" and "The patient's foots." Actually he was a better dictator than the attending physician.
I totally agree with your assessment of mushmouths... - ndmt
[ In Reply To ..]
if the doctor cannot be bothered to make sure my care is accurately documented in my medical record, which IS part of the doctor's job (and I don't care if the doctor doesn't like it or its a pain in the butt to do), then I don't want that doctor taking care of me. That is part of what I PAY the doctor to do.

Personally, I don't like looking up demographics for doctors who can only enter 11111111 for every medical record number, but I am reminded all the time that is part of my job and I am required to come with the right patient or die trying. Even while I am NOT PAID for the time it takes me to do this, it IS part of my job and I deal with it.

If they obviously hate dictating so much... - cindyoh

[ In Reply To ..]
...I always wonder why they don't ask for more routine reports. You know, just pick up the phone and say "Do my #4 and I want to add this paragraph." Over and out, he/she hangs up. Would make it ever so much easier all around, but then I guess doing this would cause somebody extra work (?)

I've wondered that too... - TypewhatImeannotwhatIsay

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a lot they could do to make it easier for everybody using templates but I guess they are too lazy and disorganized. They want to do as little work as possible and don't care how the dictation is done. I've sent in reports that are almost all blanks at times and that is how they stay. Of course, if they ever get sued a malpractice lawyer would be delighted!

Similar Messages:

If I Have To Try To Decipher One More Mush-mouth
Nov 21, 2014

speed demon dictator, I am going to put my fist through my computer screen! ...

ESL, Mumbler, Mush Mouth, Speed Talker...what?
Jun 17, 2010

I can understand a word now and then. Horrible! ...

Nothing But Mush-mouthed.....
Oct 18, 2014

....docs who forget to hang up the phone at end of dictation and hold conversations in the middle of dictating tonight!  And they wonder why I cannot get my lines!!!!! ...

Mouth Gag
Feb 14, 2012

Help!  He is saying "a defane type mouth gag".  He is doing an adenoidectomy. Any ideas? ...

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!
May 19, 2015

Most of us are trying to find a way out of this deceitful company. The only way to turn it around would be to start paying us a living wage and give us back what you stole. Your fake praise and insincerity are disgusting. Empty words mean nothing! ...

From The Old Grey Mare's Mouth
Jul 24, 2011

I for one am sick and tired of this profession and what it has become with MTSOs "dictating" that an MT has to do "X number of lines per hour, either with transcribing or with VR.  There are I  believe, MANY factors that need to be taken into consideration with this  -- including the fact that they may not be the fastest typist in the world, either due to a physical disabilitiy or age, etc., however, my QA scores with the exception of Nuance have been 98-100%).  Nua ...

SLE, No (s/l Pallor) Or Mouth Ulcers
Jun 11, 2013

"She has had no new symptoms, no rash, no photosensitivity, no alopecia, and no (s/l pallor or pallid?) or mouth ulcers, and she has resolved arthralgias." Patient has systemic lupus erythematosus. I see reference to malar rashes but not "pallor." Is that correct? Word definitely starts with a "P". Dr has Indian accent. I see that thrush can be common. ...

Coding - From The Horse's Mouth To This Board
Nov 10, 2011

I just spoke with a young woman named Bailey at the AAPC.  AAPC only does outpatient coding certification, not inpatient.  Inpatient is obtained through AHIMA.  CPC requires 2 years of experience.  CPC exam can be taken without the 2 years of experience but will have an apprentice designation on your credential, CPC-A.  The apprentice would be dropped after 2 years of experience.   AHIMA's requirements are much different:  Certified Coding Associate (CCA ...

S/l Avaso Or Evaso 1 G By Mouth Daily
Oct 16, 2012

Thank you!! ...

Dear Doctor Get That Phone Out Of Your Mouth
Apr 26, 2013

nm ...

Mouth Breathing While Slobbering On Hard Candy
Dec 13, 2012

Needless to say, I am disgusted by this speaker. It doesn't help that she sounds like she's about 4 years old. I really had to vent.  I mean really, how gross can you be?  ...

Ears-anterior S/l "white Mouth" Traction Pocket?
Jan 25, 2012

white mouth or wide mouth? ...

"cyst Rings" Given By Mouth?
May 16, 2011

HELP ...

Small Mouth Or Small Mouthed?
Jul 27, 2014

And is it hyphenated, or not? I find it both ways for both questions. Looking for input from the pros here, thank you. ...