A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Mandatory flu shots - minnie

Posted: Sep 02, 2012

Just curious . . . how many of you have employers who are making it mandatory to get a flu shot.  I work at home, I'm not in contact with patients.  How can somebody require me to inject something into my body????  The terms - if it is not done by a certain date, we are subject to administrative action, up to and including termination.  Is this really legal???  I would appreciate nice answers, not mean/nasty replys.  Thanks.

I can see it being mandatory if you're in the clinic - itself but not at home

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I would take that up with them and if they insisted, I might be so inclined to go to the Labor Board to see if an employer can demand something like that for an at-home employee.

I never get flu shots. Don't believe in them. I never get the flu, either.

mandatory - minnie

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't believe in flu shots either. I've already been "discussing" it with them and they aren't backing down at all. It's a huge health system with hospitals in several states, so they don't care about 1 or 2 of us who are against it. I'm very upset about it and don't know what to do. Thanks for your reply.

Guess they are afraid sick MT might cough/sneeze on - the computer??

[ In Reply To ..]
s

Mandatory flu shots. - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you work for the actual hospital and not an MTSO, correct? If so, the hospital policy may be that *all* employees be vaccinated, with exceptions for allergies and the like. Not saying I agree with it (I choose not to get them), but sometimes the big companies cover their butts with rigid, all-in-one policies. I agree with the poster about asking the Labor Board if this is legal, to see if you can get out of it. Good luck.

They Can't Discriminate Home vs In-House - See Msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm betting that they're not allowed to make a policy for some employees and not others, assuming you are employee status. Employee is employee in their policy book, and if you are allowed to refuse, then everyone is allowed to refuse.

I'm not saying I don't understand (I don't get the shot, either), I'm just saying that they can't make a policy for all employees, and then exempt others from it, unless there's an extreme circumstance.

Flu shots - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
My employer makes it mandatory for home based and on site employees to have flu shots. It isn't an issue of your exposure or coughing/sneezing on your computer, it is a compliance issue. Where I work(ed), anyone who chose not to have a flu shot could "opt out" by signing a waiver but then had to attend an in service education program and wear a mask in the office. We also had to update our tetanus/DPT status if we weren't current, and that was a good thing as there has been a pertussis outbreak in our state, the first case was a death in a baby, traced back to an unvaccinated health care worker. Work at home or not, we're still out in the community, and the flu can lead to complications such as pneumonia. The flu shots were free and for me it has always been easier to get one and go with the flow than to question the legality.

Flu shots dont work - Make things worse

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is a link to Mercola.com with a bunch of articles supporting that not only is there NO evidence that these shots prevent flu, but also can make you worse. Maybe letting them know their liability if insisting on this will help?

http://search.mercola.com/search/pages/Results.aspx?k=flu%20vaccine

Is it worth all this hassle? - no message - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think it's worth having your employment terminated because you won't get a flu shot. Get a note from your primary health care provider excusing you from it, although anyone in mainstream medicine will say it's a good idea.
Oh, yes, it is worth all the hassle - GJ
[ In Reply To ..]
I would not violate my conscience or my personal rights for my job (I work at home). Not for this job or any job. It is time all the sheeple realize they DO have rights.
Easy for you to say, when it is not your decision that has - to be made, your job in jepardy. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
sheeple? rights? - really?
[ In Reply To ..]
Companies make across the board rules, and sometimes, if you want the job, you adhere to them. Peeing in a cup to prove you're clean, getting a PPD to work in a hospital.

This board is filled with MTs who have been looking for MT positions for a year or more and don't have any takers. I think it may be foolish to put your foot down on the subject of a flu shot.

MTs are not much respected by their employers anymore. Not gonna change anytime soon, either. It would be a shame to lose your job over a flu shot.

If I had the choice of being back out in the ocean of MTs looking for work or taking a flu shot, think I'll just take the flu shot. I'm not a sheeple. I just have bills to pay and am hanging on to this until I finish school and can hopefully leave it behind.
Rights - Inquiring minds
[ In Reply To ..]
It is not only your rights you need to consider, it is also a public health issue. You are violating the rights of others when you refuse to get vaccinated, get sick, go out in public and expose others to your germs.

That website is inflammatory, paranoid, and scientifically wrong. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't attempt to convince your employer using something like mercola as a source. They know better. You will just look silly. All the while you are refusing a flu shot because of your "rights" and your belief that they "don't work and make things worse" - which is pretty much based in a belief that "the authorities" are lying to you -- you are gulping the koolaid of the antiestablishment "authority," mercola, which is right there in the tinfoil hat division.

MTs clamor for professional recognition, but some do not know enough basic science or have the critical reading skills to see what is wrong with that nonsense.

If you would do some reading on reputable websites, you would see that there is a very simple solution to the problem. Just tell your employer that you are allergic to eggs.

Of course, that would take all the fun out of stirring up fears every single September.
Well said. - Xena
[ In Reply To ..]
The ignorance of basic science that is so lamentably prevalent enables the paranoid nutcases to gain followers among the weak minded and ill informed.

I have never been able to understand why so many people want to believe that "the authorities" (who are basically just other people like us) are out to get them.
It can be learned behavior or a . . . - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It can be learned behavior, something you pick up from your parents and teachers, or it can be a personality trait. If it is strong enough, it becomes part of a personality disorder. It can also be a manifestation of mental illness like schizophrenia.

I wonder if talking to Human Resources might help? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Human Resources - minnie

[ In Reply To ..]
No, they are worse than my director.

flu shot - anMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not being mean and nasty at all, but you would buck the system over a flu shot? I choose not to get flu shots and wouldn't like if my company forced me to, either. But I'd get one if my job depended on it.

Might not be a good idea to rock the boat with your employer. Plenty of "compliant" unemployed MTs looking for a job opening.

minnie - GJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a traditional Catholic and will not take any kind of vaccine because of the stem cell use in their development. No one can make you--ESPECIALLY IF YOU WORK AT HOME--do this. Do your research, present reasons why you do not want to do it. There are various organizations, ACLU, the privacy project, etc. that might help you. Stick to your guns and good luck!

Ours is mandatory - Dimplz

[ In Reply To ..]
Or you lose your job. Unless of course, you can provide a valid "medical" or "religious" waver, otherwise you're out the door. I also work at home and go in to the office once, maybe twice a year. I have always gotten a flu shot, so not a big deal for me. I'd take my job at this point in fact, I need my job.

This same argument was on here last year - You have a choice

[ In Reply To ..]
Your employer is protecting both staff and patients, as well as their families. They have a moral obligation to do that.

You also have a moral obligation to do whatever you can to keep from spreading serious diseases to your friends, family, and community. If you can't do that, I don't want you near me or my family, in my church, or in stores where I shop.

Pseudoscience websites like mercola.com are half ignorant and half paranoid. Actually, I consider some of those people to be criminal mass murderers. They achieve their end by spreading lies to people who do not know any better.

Influenza vaccinations do work. They do have some degree of risk, but that risk is far exceeded by the risk in infection with the flu.

If you think influenza is not serious, you are mistaken. I had it once 20 years ago and nearly died. I had H1N1 flu, too, during the last outbreak, before the vaccine was available. I ended up with pneumonia and nearly died again. It was terrifying. I lost nearly a month of work and did not fully recover for 6 months.

Let me tell you that in comparison a flu shot is a gift from God and I thank Him for giving scientists the brains to figure out how to make them.

The "injecting things into your body" argument is a little hypocritical for most people. If you have air fresheners, aerosol sprays, antibacterial soap containing triclosan, latex foam, or no-iron fabrics in your home, or if you smoke, drink, or use insecticides, have clothes dry-cleaned, or use cleaning products, eat meat and produce that is not certified organic, you are already taking all sorts of things into your boy and not giving it a second thought.

What, then, is the problem with a vaccination?
Either an oppositional dislike of being told what to do or a fear of needles. If it is just a fear of needles, there is a nasal spray vaccine available.

Your employer cannot force you to get a flu shot. But they can fire you. If you don't like their policies, you should not be working there.

same argument - minnie

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, excuse me!

You have an agenda - Tired of it

[ In Reply To ..]
Excuse you? What agenda do you have going anyway?

Why would someone need to start up this same discussion every year? What did you do about your flu shot last year? Clearly, whatever it was satisfied your employee because you are still employed by them. So how is it that this is AGAIN a big issue for you?

And don't try telling us that you didn't post it last year. The initial post is almost exactly the same, and so is the "Here is the proof" link to that asinine Mercola website.

I think you just have it on your agenda to drum up controversy over this every fall. Stir the pot a little and see how many people you can infect.

Why you would focus on this is beyond me; it is so trivial! Why not post about the evils of electricity?

You are probably the first one to demand antibiotics for everything, too.

Since I started getting yearly flu shots, I rarely even - get colds anymore; none for last 3 years!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

S/l 3.5 X 15 Pulmi Shots
Jun 16, 2011

He has had angioplasty and stenting twice.  Once in 08/1997; he had a 3.5 x 15 pulmonary shots to his proximal LAD and in 11/2008 he came in and had a 3.0 x 12 and a 3.5 x 8 Cypher to his RCA, 3.0 x 8 and a 3.5 x 23 Cypher to his proximal LAD where it had restenosed. Above is the context - I am editing this and I know the above is not correct, however have not heard of what it sounds like he is saying.  TIA! ...

Screen Shots
May 12, 2012

To take a screen shot: Press CTRL + Screen Shot, go to Microsoft Paint and press CTRL+V, paste it in.  Then save it as a .jpg file. ...

Med. Transcriptionists Required To Get Flu Shots?
Oct 01, 2011

HI all, I could've sworn I read this somewhere that medical transcriptionists - even the REMOTE ones WORKING AT HOME ! - are REQUIRED by some employers to get annual flu shots. Is this true?? Does anyone have any experience with this? I found it quite odd, to say the least. Also, does anyone know if this is true of med transcriptionists that work IN A HOSPITAL - this I know, that some hospitals these days are requiring vaccinations of all workers. Ready and waiting to read your input :&nb ...

Linen Shots For Enterotomy
Feb 19, 2013

I am doing an enterotomy surgery, are there linen shots through the bowel? ...

Screen Shots Of Beyond Text
Nov 14, 2013

When you do a screen shot and it saves as a bitmap where does it save to? How can I bring it back up to compare it?  ...

Mmodal's Insurance, UHC, Doesn't Cover DepoProvera Shots.
Jul 03, 2012

What a crock!!  My old insurance covered contraceptives for women.  On UHC's page, it says the new law requires they cover women's contraceptives August 1st.  You'd think they'd do it anyway because birth control is a heck of a lot cheaper than obstetrical care...  Ticks me off. ...

Is EMR Mandatory?
Apr 16, 2012

Perhaps I should know the answer but I do not.  What is the deal with the move to EMR?  Is it government mandated?  I just picked up a good side job transcribing for a cardiology group in my community and it's projected to last only until they go to EMR..the move isn't happening too quickly...are there penalties if they don't move to EMR?  Who is driving this? ...

Mandatory
Oct 10, 2012

Anybody enjoying the mandatory overtime.  Yea funny how we are on mandatory overtime and then get an email that states that if you run out of work, you are required to email them and flex your time and can only make it up after 5 p.m.  So again, you are required to check for your work throughout the day and if there is no work, sorry for your luck and if you want to be "lucky" enough to be employed w/ Nuance, you will then have to sign in and work on your off shift to make up your hour ...

Mandatory PTO?
Dec 09, 2012

Email received said basically,,,time sheet must be approved, make sure you have the required amount of time or PTO will be added to make up missing and you will need to re-approve it..I dont want to take PTO, I didnt run out of work, THEY DID..I put in my remedy ticket release without pay..How do they get away with that? ...

Mandatory OT?
Dec 20, 2014

Anyone else at SS wondering since when is OT mandatory?  Threats of pulling PTO and flex time already scheduled if normal days off during the holidays aren't spent working OT?  ...

MM, If You Want Mandatory OT, Then
Mar 16, 2015

only way I'd even consider OT.  period. ...

Still Mandatory OT
Mar 18, 2015

One hour required again today.  Too many people off on leave I guess. ...

Mandatory OT Over For My POD!
Mar 22, 2015

Finally some sense. ...

Mandatory Meetings - DSG
Apr 22, 2010

How can a company order you to attend mandatory conference calls and mandatory HIPAA training and mandatory platform training sessions and not pay you for your time?  Every time they send an e-mail for something such as this, they refuse to pay, even for an hour of time.  They tell you these meetings and conference calls are a bonus for you, and that they are saving you money by you not having to pay for them someday (do I look like I just fell off of the turnip truck?).  They mus ...

Mandatory Training Without Pay - Really?
Jun 03, 2010

Just informed that I have to take MANDATORY HIPAA training without pay because I can take it "anytime on my OWN time!"  LOL!!!  The course is 45 minutes long!  It is not enough that we have to learn account specifics "on our own time", read the constant silly e-mails "on our own time", but now we have to do mandatory training "on our own time."  Oh, yeah - and we have to pass the class with a test at the end too!  I feel like I am in a volunteer job!   Hmmmm, I ...

Looks Like Mandatory CMT Credentials Soon.
Aug 02, 2010

Just like the post below stated, House of Delgates known as (HOD) from AHDI is wanting everyone to ensure patient safety and the integrity of patient records, all persons involved in creating, editing, organizing, or transmitting protected health information should be formally trained and hold credentials relevant to those duties.  To that end, AHDI should move forward with the support of its leadership in actively advocating for mandatory credentialing by whatever means that can be accompl ...

Mandatory Weekends....why?
Apr 09, 2011

Why do MTSOs require weekend coverage for every one of their accounts? I have 2 and have work up the yin yang during the week but come Saturday, I'm watching paint dry. My MTSO requires 1 weekend day, at least 4 hours. I changed my weekend shift TWICE to work during the "busy" dictation times and I'm still NJA. Now that it's getting nicer outside, I've got plans and wanna have a life again. The higher ups get off every weekend, why can't we, or at least rotate? I do ...

TT Mandatory Training
Jun 10, 2011

In my state, they are required by law to pay.  I called the labor board to verify.  By law, they have to pay if you are a non-exempt employee.  I can't file a complaint until the training is completed, but I can do it online the same day as I complete the training.  They (labor board) also advised that I keep emails and attach them to the complaint.  Unfortunately, it could take up to a year to get the money - my state is sloooow in resolving issues. Even still, my ...

Mandatory Headers
Oct 03, 2011

Somehow turned off those pesky mandatory PE and DS headings on the left and cannot remember how or where to get them to turn back on.  Anyone know?  Thanks. ...

Is OT Mandatory At Webmedx?
Oct 05, 2011

I am curious to know if all this overtime every week is mandatory or not.  MY AM asks for overtime on a daily basis and wants commitments for the week. I have been doing it, but am to the point where I just dont want to anymore, I have things in my life that I need to do or want to do instead of spending MY free time always working, working, working. Does anyone else feel this way too? I just dont want to get in trouble if I dont sign up and "commit" to the overtime every week. Thanks! ...

Mandatory Certification?
Jan 14, 2012

I was told by someone who attended a recent ICD-10 academy (for trainers) that the OIG is requiring all (current) coders to be certified by the October, 2013, ICD-10 implementation date.  I am aware of the OIG's compliance guidelines, but nowhere in that document do I find anything about mandatory certification. Also, I am not sure if they meant certified in ICD-9 or 10, but it is my understanding that the last ICD-9 CCS/CCS-P exam will be given in March, 2013, and at this point nobod ...

Is Hands On Mandatory?
Mar 16, 2012

Is the Hands On seminar mandatory?  I prefer not to take it as I am meeting the required line counts and just want to be left alone so I can do my job.  ...

Mandatory Weekend Day?
Jul 18, 2012

I just listened to the monthly meeting and she said ALL employees are now required to work at least 1 weekend day? Has anyone who is M-F been forced to change their schedule yet?  ...

Mandatory Credentialing
Oct 16, 2012

I was thinking... mandatory CMT credentialing might not be a bad thing.  I'd have no problem passing that exam, but would the Indian MTs?  If CMT were a requirement for ANY MT transcribing/editing US-based medical dictation, I think we'd lose our Indian partners pretty quickly. If AHDI could ("would" is probably more appropriate) make this happen, I'd gleefully pay CMT dues and attend all the seminars, etc. ...

What Happens If You Don't Work Mandatory OT?
Nov 26, 2012

. ...

What Are The Mandatory ADT Fields?
Feb 25, 2013

I interpret mandatory fields as being those in the upper area that says mandatory plus any fields listed in the CP as mandatory. I interpret the lower fields listed as optional ADT (Alt I) as optional unless stated in the CP as mandatory. There are some accounts having problems with physician names not printing out right and have to be re-researched and entered. These are shown as having a question mark before their name. But, 99% of these have been in the Alt I fields, i.e., optional fields ...

Mandatory QA Accounts
May 21, 2013

Why is it on these accounts QA feels that they just HAVE to correct something.  Just stupid little things that do not matter here nor there.  I don't know why they think they can hear better than I can after 30+ years.  I think my ears are pretty well-trained by now.  And this happens on very clear dictations.  Just venting. ...

Where Did All The Work Go? There's Been Mandatory OT
Jun 14, 2013

Do I feel another round of 5 months with no work followed by lay offs? ...

Mandatory Meetings
Jan 09, 2014

They are scheduling mandatory meetings at 5:30 a.m. I can't do this because of a schedule conflict. This would be 4:30 a.m. on the west coast. Is this just another reason to fire all of us? ...

Mandatory Overtime
May 03, 2014

on accounts you have never seen before and likely will never see again.  Last time this happened, I had audits on these reports...and failed them... ...