A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Bullying Bosses-New Criminal Laws - BeenThere

Posted: Jul 22, 2010

Below is the link to a TIME Magazine article, which details new laws being put into place to finally crack down on bullying bosses, criminalizing their abusive treatment toward employees.  It's about time!  The article could very well have been aimed at any number of MTSO's who have screamed, swore, berated, threatened, and even physically abused us.  During the past seven years of an "employer's market" economy, bullying employers have gotten away with anything short of murder, because we were all afraid of losing our jobs.  Finally, the tide is turning. 

Click on the first link to read the TIME article.  Click on the second link to enter the AFL-CIO Bad Boss web contest , by anonymously posting your bully boss 'horror stories'.... authors of the best stories win well-earned week-long vacation trips. 

Those of us who worked for a certain Chicago suburban MTSO have so many nightmare stories, that it will be difficult to decide which of hundreds to post. 

Read, vent, enjoy !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100721/us_time/08599200535800

http://workinprogress.blogs.time.com/2007/07/26/lousy_boss_vent_then_act/

Bullying bosses - working MT

[ In Reply To ..]
An MTSO physically abused you? How is that possible when you work at home and they are somewhere else?

Worked 3 days a week at the office, Sherlock. - BeenThere

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Been there - Working MT

[ In Reply To ..]
And your boss physically abused you? How so?
screamed, swore, berated, threatened, AND even physically abused us - literate
[ In Reply To ..]
your focus is WAY off here!!
literate - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
Why didn't you call the police? Physical abuse is a FELONY.
Uggghhh pay attention!!! - literate
[ In Reply To ..]
I was simply pointing out that the o.p. did not say JUST physical abuse!!! I am JUST POINTING THAT OUT!! The o.p. was sharing information....she never said "I" or "me." I also NEVER said "I" or "me." It never hurts to slow down and read what is being said before replying.

FYI: Read the posts before replying. You assumed... it wasn't me. - BeenThere

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Sorry...easy mistake to make since you said it happened to "us" and "we" - were afraid to act. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

bullying bosses - Dewglo

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked for nothing but bullying bosses in the MT market; not afraid to name them either: Transcend, Edix, HealthScribe, who didn't even have the guts to admit they were Indian run/based after making you fly to Sterling, Virginia for training to meet the Indians running it, Digital Records who was decent until it got bought out by Avesis, and finally, Trans Tech Medical in Houston, who iced the cake on finishing out my MT career. I hope these laws do begin to apply to the MT business. It is far too long that the MTSOs, hospitals, doctors, and other professionals in the medical field have lorded it over the individual MTs who have to put up with the slave trade we call medical transcription. Power to the MTs. Let the revolt begin.

Im sick of bully bosses and companies. I am - so, so, SO ready to revolt!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

And how about bullying QA managers? - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
Acusis really wins the grand prize, in that department. A.H., their quality control manager, is the worst be-@tch I've ever worked under. Miss a comma, and she threatens to lop off your head. That hag has a major bee up her butt 365 days a year. She alone is probably responsible for more MT defections than anything else in that company, even more than their mostly-ESL accounts.

If that Chicago suburb was Lake Bluff - I hear ya! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Synernet And Bullying
Nov 05, 2014

If you have been bullied by anyone at Synernet , please put a thumbs up.  If you feel that you or someone you know has been the object of unfair treatment please comment. Suggestions and ideas how this can be stopped appreciated.  There is no reason for people to leave their job because of something like this.  There is every reason for people to be able to keep a job in a fair workplace.  Your comments appreciated.  Please no trolls or trouble makers. This is an honest ...

MModal Bosses. Got An Idea For You
Jun 23, 2015

You expect me to be 99.6% correct. Yet, I can go into the repository and see where your examples are wrong (spelling incorrect, two words when should be one, and formatting) and contradict what another report has. NOW do you SEE, why I screw up? You cannot logically ask for perfection, when your OWN QA people are wrong. In order to make people better at their job, you don't confuse them..AND YES, HIPAA or not,I have the examples saved...Because now that I am on PM, when you fire me (wis ...

Article On Bosses From Yahoo This Morning
Mar 26, 2010

According to Yahoo:  Have you not heard? It's the 21st century. Threats and power plays just do not cut it anymore (and they were always a terrible way to manage). Yes, you pay people's salaries but that doesn't mean you're their lord and master. You are their leader, however. Leaders lead by inspiring, teaching, encouraging, and, yes, serving their employees. Good leaders never need to threaten. If you really want to motivate people, consider giving them a stake in th ...

Whatever Happened To The Days When You Could Respect Your Team Leads And Your Bosses?
Nov 12, 2010

No one "leads" anymore, they just direct traffic.  I can remember when the "leaders" used to help their employees so they could get a better line count, get through the hard dictators, or just do whatever was in their power to be encouraging.  Now it seems they just use their positions to grab the good jobs that have good dictators or normal dictations like the ops, collect their pay and act like you are a total burden if you need help.   I can assure you it is not encouragin ...

The Laws Of Transcription: Law # 387 -----
Nov 20, 2010

Law # 387 "The Blown Eardrum Factor": When you are faced with transcribing a report where the volume is so low that you can barely hear it, even with both your computer's volume and your transcription software's volume turned up AS HIGH AS IT WILL GO, it is an absolute certainty that you will have a dictator who coughs loudly into the microphone throughout the dictation. ...

Question: If New HIPAA Laws Are Going To Come Down
Dec 23, 2009

sending a copy of the report to the wrong doctor, what about sending all this work offshore?  What am I not understanding?  If sending a copy to the wrong Dr. Smith constitutes a huge breach of security, then sending people's health records and personal information offshore constitutes a GIGANTIC breach of security.    ...

? About HIPPA And Privacy Laws
Jan 12, 2010

Is this more strict? or is it the same?  Am I freaking out for nothing new? According to some of those examples, I'm not even sure that normals and the repository are legal.  Doesn't it say that we are not allowed to save other records for examples?  And the fact that you can be fined if you ACCIDENTALLY see something or accidentally send something to the wrong doctor, which I know we have to be careful not to do, but what if it is the dictator who gives us the wron ...

Well, It Has Already Started, HIPAA Laws.
Feb 13, 2010

If we do not check our screen where patient name, info, attending, date of birth, blah blah blah is not correct or we did not check to make sure the dictator name is correct or attending name in the screen, of did not fill in attending or dictator for, this will have to be notified to HIPAA.  If company does not notify HIPAA that an MT made a mistake and did not correct patient name, dictator name, attending, etc., my company will be fined big time and possibly the MT too.  Honestly, ...

New Health Care Laws
Oct 05, 2010

With the new health care laws in the next 2 years, will IC become obsolete?  Won't these transcription companies be forced to provide health benefits and forced to have employees?  Or will they still be allowed to just hire us as IC's? ...

MedQuist And Antitrust Laws
Sep 19, 2011

Just for info, I filed complaints with my congressman and with the FTC about my concern about antitrust issues and MedQuist.  I think it is okay to include this link, I did not see anything about not posting links.  If it gets taken off or anything just go to the FTC home page and look under antitrust.  Maybe if everybody files complaints with their own congressional representatives and with the FTC also somebody will take it seriously.  Anyway, it can't hurt. http://ww ...

Question About Labor Laws And IC Rights.
Nov 20, 2012

I had a check bounce from a client as I am an IC. I was wondering if I have any rights as to file a complaint with the DOL or the BBB? Any and all info. will be appreciated. TIA ...

Here Is Our Problem. It's The Labor Laws That Need Updated.
Nov 27, 2012

According to the US Dept of Labor, we are considered piecework employees.  Please see below from the US Dept of Labor website. Please note, this is now illegal in the garment industry, and this is why most garment manufacturers are overseas/outsourced. It is legal as long as the pay the employee receives adds up to at least minimum wage for all the hours they spend working, at any speed, slow or fast, and correctly and incorrectly.  Some economic experts say that, "An easi ...

More Pay Cuts? New QA Rules/laws/regulations?
Dec 30, 2012

Don't you just love the communication at Nuance? Just received an Email regarding new QA rules (new hoops to jump through for bonus), so disgusted I just deleted the message. Bringing the E5 *in line with the rest of NTS*? I don't want to know how much better and faster we are all supposed to be with WHATEVER technology you push out.... I just wanta say that some of you people in management had better learn to transcribe. And WTH is the learning module "Speak Hawaiian"....what ...

IC Jobs Being Eliminated Because Of New HIPPA Laws?
Aug 15, 2013

Is anyone elses company elminating IC jobs because of the new HIPPA laws?? We were told that the new laws effect all ICs and that we can either do all this paperwork and training to become a businness associate or become an employee, which for me means losing almost $600 a month in pay! ...