A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New EMR Mandate "meaningful use" - Canadice

Posted: Apr 29, 2011

I am jujst starting to research this issue and wondering if anyone here has any information on how this affects us as MTs.  The EMR I am currently working in is Medent and they are trying to comply with this new mandate.  For me this means the docs point and click on the assessment/diagnosis.  Then I type the dictated Plan/Comments.  both these fields are printed out for the patients in compliance with the 'meaningful use" which says that the patient will have to be provided with an EMR print out within 3 days of office visit.  For this practice, they like me to use as many acronyms and abbreviations as possible and so my question is where I will need to eliminate acronyms and abbreviations for cater to patient's understanding of said printout. 

I would appreciate any thoughts on this issue.  Thanks much ;)

Interesting question. I'm not hit with this problem yet, but - the standard grammatical practice

[ In Reply To ..]
has always been to use the full form on introduction of the term, only after that using short forms. Knowing lay people are reading, I'd follow the initial term with the short form in parentheses to help them further. Plus, of course, the long form should be used in diagnoses, etc. Good organization and specific headers, of course, are always important factors in conveying information meaningfully.

Since you sound at least somewhat concerned about patient understanding, beyond just legal compliance, I can tell you with weary authority (used to send out a dozen or two custom letters every day to business professionals) that many, many people do not take in information well in written form. I can't even imagine how many times the head of a company or one of his department heads would call me to explain what a simple 1/2 page letter was asking for. After "as we discussed today" etc., I learned to drop and center any request or key phrase, like

"Please sign and return the enclosed X form in the enclosed envelope."

And then I would highlight that with a yellow highlighter! It helped cut the number of "what is this?" calls considerably, but I still got plenty anyway.

BTW, since I was dealing with valuable, lucrative clients, these letters ALWAYS followed personal phone calls discussing everything and explaining that the form discusse, or written confirmation of whatever, was on its way. Sigh...

In any case, although I'm sure meaningful use will be satisfied by much less, generally speaking, you simply cannot go overboard in trying to make written communications as simple and easy to understand as possible.

You would need to ask your supervisor or - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
whoever. If they want everything abbreviated, then that is what you have to do.

OP may be an IC, without one. Also, not all places are - are on top of all this and may

[ In Reply To ..]
need suggestions. An IC should have an independent grasp of at very least the more important regulations and their implementation. OP is obviously moving to get on top of this issue and poses a good question. This isn't exactly a hangout for IT legal eagles, though.

Whether the OP is an IC or not, she needs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
clarification from the client on what and when to use or not use abbreviations.

Abbreviations.... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
This is something the Society for Participatory Medicine is working on now, to develop a glossary for patients to understand all of those abbreviations. They are a pretty interesting patient advocacy group, advocating for patient involvement in their health care. (And if I'm not supposed to post names of organizations here, I apologize. I figured since AHDI is mentioned maybe this one could be as well.) They just started this project this week through their blog.

Similar Messages:

2014 EHR MANDATE
May 17, 2012

Has anyone heard what the specifics are for all medical records being EHR by 2014?  I am currently transcribing, no VR, and this would hugely affect my job.  After 28 years in this profession, I never thought I would be in this position at age 50.  I'm just sickened.  I just want to work, I HAVE to work, and feel I am just, along with everyone else, in a horrible spot.  I don't have any college education and if I lose this job, I have no idea what I will d ...

I Think They Should Mandate Some ESLs Have Someone Else Dictate For Them
Jun 09, 2011

I am actually in the middle of a report right now for the most horrible ESL doctor ever.  Besides the fact that her accent is so ridiculously thick, she speaks so softly that it is impossible to figure out what she is saying.  Even though she is straight typing, I still can't make money on it because I keep rewinding to try to figure out what she is saying.  What's funny is she is doing a medical consult for a psych patient.  Like these patients dont' have enou ...

Meaningful Use?
Jul 15, 2014

We received an e-mail today about "Meaningful Use" and the EMR.  Apparently the doctors are supposed to input their own reports for the hospital to get paid and soon we will be out of a job?      ...

Meaningful Use
Apr 11, 2015

read the article in the link -- has more to do with physicians and the next "meaningful use" level; pretty interesting regarding coming requirements, the big companies involved with software, etc.  Not pertinent directly to MT but I found it interesting just the same.  sorry if I should have put this on some other board (I work for Nuance).  ...

Some Thing(s) Meaningful
Apr 01, 2012

This post applies only to those MTSOs perpetrating abuses.  If you are employed by an honest hospital, MTSO, etc., this message is not directed at you. We all want your employers to succeed and thrive! "The indignity of working for a living is well-known to anyone who ever has.  With only a small portion of the product's value finding its way into our wages, we have every right to be pissed off at our bosses."         Unknown We MTs know a ...

Some Thing(s) Meaningful YOU/WE Can Do
Apr 11, 2012

Stand up for yourself and exert your individual power and you will find there absolutely can be MT jobs with, "YEARLY EVALUATIONS (yes!)...RAISES (double yes!)...PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES (I can't believe it!)...absolutely stunning, you don't realize how brainwashed you are, how hammered you are, till you GET OUT."  The foregoing is a quote from the person who posts as wheres_my_job.  S/he is right on about the brainwashed part.  We have the power and just don't realize it an ...

In The Know Meaningful Phrase?????!!
Oct 31, 2012

Does anyone have any idea what these emails are about?  They seem rather lengthy, IMO, and I am not getting the reason/objective of them.  TIA!!! ...

Will Meaningful Use Requirements Knock Out Scribes?
May 03, 2012

Interesting article about stage 2 meaningful use, particularly committees trying to decide if it prohibits anyone but a physician entering data into the EMR.  The article specifically references scribes, but I wonder what the implications are for MT. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/do-doctors-have-be-typists-get-mu-incentives ...

Tell Me About "meaningful Use" For EMR Please. Does This Mean Docs Can No Longer Dictate
Nov 07, 2012

nm ...