A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

2014 EHR MANDATE - oldtimetx

Posted: May 17, 2012

Has anyone heard what the specifics are for all medical records being EHR by 2014?  I am currently transcribing, no VR, and this would hugely affect my job.  After 28 years in this profession, I never thought I would be in this position at age 50.  I'm just sickened.  I just want to work, I HAVE to work, and feel I am just, along with everyone else, in a horrible spot.  I don't have any college education and if I lose this job, I have no idea what I will do.  I don't have the option to retire, I have to work.  Any info on this subject is appreciated.

medical records are already electronic - slave wages

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think that has anything to do with whether you do SR or straight typing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EHR - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Many records are already electronic. That's all EHR is. Electronic health record. Many places have had this in place already for years.

No one can predict what your job will do. As cost savings many places are going to point and click programs, VR, and some even scribes. You might want to consider obtaining education in another field now while you will have work.

Oldtimetx, most people here have no idea. It's not too late to - start researching. I am in your spot, too, but

[ In Reply To ..]
I knew 20 years ago this could happen. Just thought it would happen sooner, when I was younger, and when it didn't I started hoping it would hold off until I retired. It didn't, and I'm living in the country with few jobs nearby and all of my old, excellent skill sets in two other industries are so obsolete employers would toss me a coin to not bother them by applying.

Oh, well. At least I knew a quarter century ago that the typical worker (even at that time) could count on retraining for new work approximately 5 times over his work life, also that most were expected to be totally unprepared financially and educationally, with their lives suddenly devastated as if by a freight train. This's not taking into account the current severe recession. It's because of all the profound changes happening everywhere, not just in this industry in this country but in almost all industries in almost all countries. This is the way it was, the way it is, and the way it will be for future generations into the foreseeable future.

So, go start googling and get yourself some reasonably solid answers. Good luck. I truly feel your pain as if it were my own...I'm just more used to it. :)

There's a huge $$$ incentive for facilities who go to EMR prior to deadline... - NoLongerAnon

[ In Reply To ..]
...and most of them have, actually. It was practically seamless.

There were several jobs posted over the past month for "data entry"; these were smaller companies hiring MTs short-term to manually enter info into EMR/EHR databases.

Seriously, EMR does not eliminate the need for transcription, SR/VR editors.

Breathe.... call a few HIM Directors at local hospitals in your area. Tell them you're taking a survey, and ask if their facility has "gone" to EMR yet.

Most will answer "yes".

have no idea of what? - purplerain

[ In Reply To ..]
what an EHR is? The fact that it's been incentivized, that Medicare is requiring it? What is it you think we don't know?

EHR has been in existence for a long time and MTs have maintained their jobs. EHR is NOT the issue.

But if you think you won't have a job or be able to make the technological changes work for you, then yes, you should definitely be getting the training now instead of later for a new career.

The specific answer to the specific question asked. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

In the same situation - Hope2881

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not an expert, but I think VR is a totally different thing than the EHR. That being said, I am 56 and have about 20 years in acute care transcription for hospitals. In the last 1 year and 5 months, my job has been eliminated twice to an MTSO who was able to undercut our salaries because VR is being done so cheaply by the MTSOs. I have no college degree either, and I wish I would have paid attention to the handwriting on the wall about 10 years ago and re-educated myself way back then. They say it is never too late, but at this age I'm very tired and can't imagine going back to school. I just wanted to quietly slide into retirement, but that is not going to happen. I am unemployed right now because I cannot afford to work for 4 cpl for VR offered by the last MTSO that stole my job, and have been hoping to find another hospital job, even if it means relocation to Alaska. I am my only source of income, and will soon be living in my car if I don't find something. Even if I accepted the 4 cpl, it wouldn't be enough to pay basic living expenses, so I'd rather live in my car and dedicate my time to finding a decent job. I don't believe it is the EHR you have to worry about - I think it is the damage that VR has done to this being a viable self-supportable career path. I wish I had some good advice to give. Best of luck to you.

Federal EMR Electronic Medical Records Mandate 2014/2015 ⦠- mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
We'll all be out a job.

sorry - was supposed to be the link to it. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I just typed "EMR Mandate" and it's the 1st one that came up. I'm in FL. Florida Hospital system across the state went to EMR. My PCP hates it. She said any doctor affiliated with FL HOSPITAL has to use EMR.

you're nuts - seriously nuts

[ In Reply To ..]
Who do you think will be inputting data into the EMR for the thousands and thousands of healthcare facilities, clinics, ambulatory centers, doctors offices, etc?

SOME MTs will be out of work. This is true.

Working on acct with electronic medical record - for years.

[ In Reply To ..]
Still has to be transcribed into the record, just no paper chart on their end. It will be fine. Probably won't affect you at all.

Some of it depends on what your position - is. If you are a clinic

[ In Reply To ..]
MT, it may affect you more. A lot of the clinics are now going to point-and-click systems. I work in a physician's office, and we just switched. One of the larger practices close to us just switched and went from I think 6 transcriptionists to 1. The local pediatricians which cover multiple counties where I live have been on this type system for years. You can't find an in-house transcription job close to where I live, and it's not because of outsourcing. The hospitals nearby have been switching also. One of our states leading cardiovascular hospitals just let go pretty much their whole transcription department.

I think there will be need for some transcriptionists still but not to the amount that there is now. I think we need to keep our eyes open and realize it could happen to any of us at any time.

Similar Messages:

I Think They Should Mandate Some ESLs Have Someone Else Dictate For Them
Jun 09, 2011

I am actually in the middle of a report right now for the most horrible ESL doctor ever.  Besides the fact that her accent is so ridiculously thick, she speaks so softly that it is impossible to figure out what she is saying.  Even though she is straight typing, I still can't make money on it because I keep rewinding to try to figure out what she is saying.  What's funny is she is doing a medical consult for a psych patient.  Like these patients dont' have enou ...

Best Way To Charge In 2014
Jul 21, 2014

Hi - I was just contacted by a neuropsychologist I worked for years ago in the office, about transcribing reports for him from home.  I have scoured the boards and I did not see anything current about what to charge. I live in western PA.  He says the reports are somewhat repetitive. If you charge by the page, does that mean half a page is the same price as a full page? I thought by the page would be simplest for calculating what they owe, but not sure.  Setting up how to receive ...

What Happens When Obamacare Starts In 2014?
Apr 02, 2011

I was wondering what my fellow MTs think is going to happen starting 2014 when Obamacare kicks in.  I had read an article in the NY Post a while back that 74% of MDs surveyed plan to work part time, retire from medicine, or go in a new direction careerwise.  Do you think we'll see a decrease in work available, even SR editing work?  Do you think that if a great amount of MDs cut back or retire from medicine that would cause our profession to lessen in demand? ...

How Will The Increased Level Of A&P Be Used In 2014 With ICD-10?
Sep 11, 2012

Does anyone know exactly why ICD-10 will require a greater knowledge of A&P? What else are we going to need more of? Why? ...

If You Are Working A Platform Other Than DEP, By 2014, All Will
Oct 15, 2012

x ...

New QA Standard January 2014
Sep 23, 2013

They are now going to require 99.6% up from 99.5%.  Oh yeah.  How is this going to go?  Looks to me like a lot of us will be out.  Is this even humanly possible?  Maybe I should be a weatherman.  They can be wrong 50% of the time and keep their jobs.  HA. More stress for us.  It makes me physically ill anymore.  Too much stress. ...

Yikes, April 2014 And Windows XP
Dec 06, 2013

Who besides me has an Mmodal (and personal) XP system.  Apparently Microsoft will no longer be supporting this after April 2014.  What will we be doing for security? ...

Windows 7 And Mmodal And April 2014
Dec 23, 2013

I recently freaked when I found out MS was not going to be supporting XP after April 2014...I have a personal XP system and an Mmodal XP system. My supervisor said Mmodal would support XP after that; don't know what that means, but she will not let me exchange my Mmodal XP for a Windows 7 machine. I bought a Win7 laptop on Ebay.  So far, so good.  There are some new and some manufacturer refurbished still out there.  Also if you look on the Dell.com website, you c ...

DOES NEW QUARTER FOR FIESA START 01/01/2014?
Jan 01, 2014

Can't find this info anywhere ...

Amphion Line Rate As Of 2014
Feb 01, 2014

Can anyone tell me what Amphion pays per line for acute care transcriptionist with 30 years experience?  And, do they still only pay based on a 65-character line with no spaces paid for?     ...

Electronic Medical Records Become Very Hot Since They Will Become Mandatory By 2014
Dec 22, 2009

How many amongst you have used any of the popular EMRs like practice partner(http://www.practicepartner.com),infraware (www.infraware.com). EMRs have suddenly become very hot since they will become mandatory by 2014. I had read some where that there are some security issues with them.What do you think are pros and cons with EMRs?     ...

MModal Health Benefits For 2014 Email
Oct 19, 2013

I have been offered a new job, aka escape route out of MModal. Everything about the new job makes me happy EXCEPT the high premiums for their insurance plans. Can we really believe the email from a couple days ago promising that our premiums for 2014 would stay the same as they were in 2013???? What's the catch? Is it an outright lie? ...

New EMR Mandate "meaningful Use"
Apr 29, 2011

I am jujst starting to research this issue and wondering if anyone here has any information on how this affects us as MTs.  The EMR I am currently working in is Medent and they are trying to comply with this new mandate.  For me this means the docs point and click on the assessment/diagnosis.  Then I type the dictated Plan/Comments.  both these fields are printed out for the patients in compliance with the 'meaningful use" which says that the patient will have to be prov ...

HCPCS 2014 Brings Two New Codes For Pain Management Effective July 1
Aug 12, 2014

The latest HCPCS code update that went into effect on July 1, 2014 is important for pain management practitioners and coders since it modifies the way you report some morphine and propofol administrations. Read more.. ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

TT/IMEDX "Merge" Was March 2014.
Feb 11, 2015

I am not up on my business particulars, but when this "merge" - ahem - took place March 1 (I think) of last year, could all contracts have been resigned for a specific period of time, say 1 year, or did contracts just continue as is until they were up, more than likely ending on various dates?  Could we be looking at our 1 year anniversary where all contracts come to an end?  Are there legalities that go along with a 1-year period for employees?  Employer tax breaks? There is at ...