A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'm so screwed - AgentMT

Posted: Aug 14, 2012

I've been an MT for 30 years.  I'm a good MT.  90% of my time, I've worked as an IC.  In the last few months, however, the companies I contracted with have had such an unpredictable ebb and flow of work that I decided maybe I should go with a company as an employee.  I was hired by Mmodal.  They were great.  CCM awesome.  Accounts great.  So what is the problem you wonder?  I can't work on a strict schedule.  I was supposed to work 10-7.  I was only making about $12-14 an hour, which meant I had to do some part time work to be able to support myself.  As an IC, I was able to work 8-9 hours, and when there was work, made decent money.  But I was able to work a few hours in the morning, take a break, a few hours early afternoon, another hour or two off, then finish up late afternoon early evening. 

But with this new job, I am so fried by 7 p.m. (and getting up at 7 so I can do my part time work and I'm not a morning person), that I literally was going to bed as soon as I was done work.  The stress started taking a toll and caused some issues for me that just exacerbated the issues.

My IC positions have been filled.  Instead of making $180-200 a day, I'm making $120-140, which isn't going to be enough to make ends meet.

I'm fearful for myself.  I can't handle the "it's 10:15 where are you" (and before anyone yells at me, I'm NOT blaming Mmodal.  If I'm supposed to be on at 10:00 I would expect me to be on at 10 - I just need a break at 10 after doing my 3 hours in the morning on the other job).

I'm a great production worker, it's all I've known most of my adult life.  Schedules?  Not so good at.  Thanks for letting me vent.

I work for MModal. Do your accounts ever have OT? - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I average about $120 a day myself, but we are flood with overtime so I can stay on longer if needed or start a little earlier if needed.

My CCM is very flexible. Have you tried talking to your CCM about this? I have had a few times where I was like 15 minutes or so late for work and never had anyone call me or ask me about it.

Is it possible that maybe you can ask if there are any accounts needing help with overflow so you can get in some OT at MM? I have tried doing two jobs before, one being part-time IC and it was short lived for me. I was beat and felt like my life revolved around work. I finally had to give up the IC job as most of their work did'nt start flowing till like 10am and was dried up by 9pm.

My suggestion would be to talk with your CCM and see if you can work something out with her or maybe do some tweeking with your IC job if possible.

If you tell yourself - that

[ In Reply To ..]
you can't do this, you can't keep to a schedule, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Change is always hard, but humans are adaptable. Maybe if you stop fighting the new way of working and tell yourself you will find a way to make it work, that will begin to happen.

Whenever you say you can't, you're always going to be right.

I can relate - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
One of the reasons I wanted to work at home is because I had such a hard time staying awake at around 2:30 in the afternoon. I'm a night owl and can't get to sleep before 1 am (not to mention I have frequent insomnia) so getting up at 6:00 am to go work in an office was always stressful for me.

As an MT, I can stop and take a nap when I need one. With any new job, I've made it clear at the outset that I take a nap in the afternoon. I said that if I'm tired I can still type, but I'm on autopilot and not paying attention. I prefer to be alert so I can focus on the work. My bosses have always appreciated this and have never had a problem with me splitting up my day.

Perhaps if you talk to your manager and tell them this, they would be willing to work with you. I mean, wouldn't they rather have an employee who is paying attention and can catch discrepancies and mistakes, rather than a machine? After all, that is why they still need us humans... because a machine will never notice or care about accuracy.

Good luck! If they won't work with you, I'm sure you can find someone who will.

Good post about the splitting it up. My CCM allows - me to take one hour breaks, but of

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to work an hour later to make up for it. The splitting up of shift sounds like a good idea. Definitly talk to your CCM. Good luck.

I feel your pain - T. J.

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in the same situation as far as needing IC work, not just wanting it. And yes, we as humans are adaptable, but there are some times that having employee status is just not going to work. I still have a little work with my primary MT company, but I have also been a travel agent for ten years. I love the career, but it takes time to build up to the point where you can live off of it, if ever. And there are a lot of expenses involved. So my transcription work has allowed me to subsidize the travel career and grow it. Even though it's going really well, I still need about 1000 lines a day, and now my company doesn't have it anymore. More and more, companies want to hold me to a set shift and that is just not going to work for me. I have to be able to attend workshops and meetings, etc. and meet and talk with clients. I don't need a babysitter; if you tell me the work has to be back by 10 a.m. the next day it will be back. I'm 57 years old and I've been doing this in one way or another for about 20 years.
If I could make a living within a set shift, I'd do it, - but with all the NJA and - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
the slowness of their system, along with the bad dictators, if I can't make my lines within their time frame, then I'm gonna "flex" my butt off in order to tap into their higher-volume hours.

I only WISH I made $12-14/hour, or $120-140/day. - Im at $4.50/hour, $45/day.

[ In Reply To ..]
It's been about a year since I've been able to pay all my bills with my MT income. The rest is being siphoned out of my retirement money. When that runs out, I hope Sacramento's new "bullet train" is up and running, because I'll most likely have to jump in front of it.

Similar Messages:

I Am Screwed With 6.1
Sep 03, 2010

When I am in an ASR report, I have been highlighting and then hit delete and put in the correct words/phrase and have been doing this for 2 years.  IT IS WRONG AND BEING TOLD NUMEROUS TIMES BY THE INSTRUCTOR IN THIS LEARNING OF THE 6.1 TO NOT DO IT!  So, I have to highlight and then type over correct word/phrase because if I hit delete key, backspace, etc., it will put in a skip marker which of course is WRONG! Probably get reprimanded by QA and hurt  QA production checks.  ...

Just Screwed Up A Report
Jun 10, 2013

It's gonna be a major or critical error for sure, so I am probably on my way out. It is an account that is 100% audited. In a way, it will be a relief if it happens. It will force me to look for something else.  Just makes me kinda sick to my stomach thinking about it, though. ...

North Region Screwed Up
Jan 19, 2010

Ever since this merge, my primary has been out of work, hardly ever happened before.  Mine is out of work because they're getting mine because their's is out of work and viice versa.  Everything was fine before this merge, but you know if something is working at MQ, they'll screw it up.  It's pretty much like the old cesspool again.  I have many words I would like to use right now, but I'll get in trouble on here.  So I'll just leave it ...

Anyone Else Being Screwed Over By Serviss Transcription LLC?
May 10, 2010

You can read more info on what my experience was with this company as an IC by scrolling down to how MTs are supposed to protect themselves against fraudulent companies.... ...

Anybody With The Incentive This Weekend Get Screwed Over?
Oct 07, 2013

Our region had an incentive where if you worked a minimum of 3 hours overtime you would get an extra $10 an hour on top of OT pay.  Well, I put in an extra 3 hours  Friday morning.  Predictably there was NJA on Saturday during my shift, only for about an hour or so and since it was Saturday and my shift ends at midnight, I had to take PTO.  Per my manager, that PTO canceled out an hour of my 3 hours of OT, meaning I didn't get the inventive.  What a scam.  Let& ...

So Being Screwed By Landmark Payroll
Nov 26, 2014

With next to no warning they change payroll. First pay in December is tgiving week pay. iOS three days of pay.  Wonder if my bank will take that for my mortgage and good luck getting the kids Xmas gifts ...

Check Your Pay, Payroll Screwed Up On Mine
Mar 08, 2013

Was wondering why my check so little, even though I did have 8 hours of work availability.  Apparently they only paid me for two 15 minute shifts instead of my benefit rate times four hours each shift. If you are in a state that pays you for half of your shift for work availability,make sure to carefully check your pay for this pay period.  ...

BEWARE! LINE COUNT COMPLETELY SCREWED UP!
May 24, 2010

Read post below.   My whole week is off.  If you look at line count for each day, it shows it correctly.  If you go from the 16th to today, COMPLETELY SCREWED UP!!! ...

Screwed Again. More Lies. Transcend PTO Rate For End Of Year
Jan 12, 2013

Why even bother assuring us we would receive our Transcend PTO rate for that last period and then not honor it.   I still hear those words "this is an exciting time for Transcend."  Exciting?  This has turned into a nightmare. ...

Royally Screwed Up And Misinterpreted Tsm Instructions On A Stat
Jun 23, 2013

And totally not typing a 28 min report.  She said one thing, I did that but thought that was all I had to do.  Boy do I feel stupid.  This jobs pay may suck, but I still need it to pay bills etc.  Hope there isn't too much bad fall-out. ...