A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How cherry-picking MTs benefit me. - Think about it.

Posted: Feb 07, 2014

On 1 account that I work on, there are a couple of dictators who are the worst of the worst.  They actually should be reported to their superiors.  Many times each day, these reports are downloaded by MTs who simply return them and rather have no work than try to decipher what these idiots spew out.  I admit they are very difficult and many times impossible, as I see where QA returns them to the client with blanks, even after additional ears have given a listen.

What I have done is studied these reports, and their past reports of every kind, including the tests they dictate.  I have created expanders for them.  I have printed out samples.  I have mastered their dictations, with very few blanks needed.  I have tried to become an expert in the work that no one else wants.  This has provided me with lines and hours that the other cherry-picking MTs are losing out on.  Thanks guys.

cherry pickers - Debra

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been doing that also. One of our docs talks so slow he almost is going backwards!! I speed his reports up and can almost always decipher what he is saying and the times I put him in Q/A it is forwarded to the office with them still there. Another talks a 100 miles per minute--slow him down. I have had 3 co-workers who say they reject their jobs and when there are only 10 reports in the system and 7 are these two, that is 7 jobs I would not have had. Where is the challenge in taking easy street all the time??

Counter-productive - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone on my account always takes the only VR and leaves all the ST. Seriously, that makes no sense because I make twice as much when I am typing all day long. That lazy person is probably the same person who comes on here and cries that they are making below minimum wage! Put a little effort out and you will reap the benefits!

Cool - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You're lucky to have access to past reports at least. It seems like it would be a nice feature to have in general.

There's a lot of that (cherry picking) lately - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad you brought up this cherry picking thing. Where I work since the new year there has been SO MUCH cherry picking it is ridiculous. I think we got new accounts. I went from ops and doing well on several accounts I knew for a long time and all of a sudden they disappeared. Then I started getting nasty discharge summaries from hospitalists from one hospital and it would not end. Knew there was cherry picking b/c they would all of a sudden show up from yesterday morning, etc. But the ops were gone from the present time. Then, when I complained I was given several new hospitals I never heard of and got ops but they eventually disintigrated to the worst of the worst again hospitalist discharge summaries. Not speaking English at all, or extremely convoluted, many mistakes. So this has become my day now the worst of the worst. Last time I said something e mail and on the phone I was told nothing new was going on. Now I KNOW there is cherry picking and the fact I said something probably added to my problem (getting more of the worst of the worst). I responded the way the OP here did and I do them with very little problem now but the point is..WHY SHOULD I. What am I a DOOR MAT? Instead of stopping the cherry picking and allowing everyone to do everything the system should even out, good with the bad. Why should the people who PUT UP WITH IT get all the bad. I was thinking of looking for a new job but it is the same EVERYWHERE. Sorry for my crabbing here, but I am glad someone mentioned this going on. I am glad I am not alone. Thanks for listening to me vent. Now I am off to work tonight where I will get the worst of the worst and try to make the best of it. After all I have a job.

Bravo! - you are not alone

[ In Reply To ..]
I could have written your post. I have not said anything to my supe. She knows it's going on and does nothing. Her pets just take the cream off the top and the rest of us get the dregs. I actually did a 1-hour trial one time of only those crappy reports. I made a total of 75 lines that hour. Why should we be stuck with the worst? She's afraid her pets will quit if they have to get their hands dirty. I would be more than happy to do those if they paid me more to do difficult dictators, like they did in the past. Pipe dreams, I know, but like you said, I have this job for now, it's not forever. Karma is a @@@@@.

I like that. You took lemons, and made - LEMONADE! nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Yep, those cherry-pickers leave a lot of lines behind - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't ever complain about cherry-pickers. I LOVE THEM. I am glad to take those lines and hours they reject. While they think they are getting by with something by taking the easy reports, I have invested the time and made those difficult ESL dictators easy reports for me. They are not bothering me at all.

Some cherry picked reports are not ESL - smm

[ In Reply To ..]
On my account, these reports require more unpaid demographic work and the dictators mumble very fast, so there are multiple blanks to go to QA, bumping up your QA submission rate. Some MTs just skip over very long reports, very slow PAs or residents. There are many reasons for cherry picking, not just ESLs.

I never cherry-picked - Not in MT anymore, but...

[ In Reply To ..]
I never cherry-picked. I wanted the ESLs, bad dicatators, difficult work types so that I always had work. In fact, I never, ever ran out of work, except for maybe holidays. Sure, I had all the crud dictators and difficult specialties, but I had work and I got good at doing crud dictators and difficult specialties.

I quit MT (not because I didn't have work), but because of the peanuts I was (in recent times) getting paid for all my toil and trouble.

It works... sm - poorhouse

[ In Reply To ..]
When I worked in-house, it was just me and another lady doing the hospital transcription (not path, not x-ray). She was just a terrible co-worker and daily would pick the good jobs. So, I took the most difficult dictators and learned them. Then, when she would get stuck with one of their jobs and inevitably ask me what they were saying, I'd say, "Hmm, not sure." And she'd have to leave a blank. ha! There were a few times where I helped her out only because it affected patient care to a degree. Otherwise, she was on her own.

Nothing wrong with cherry picking - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are an independent contractor, then you can cherry pick all you want. As an IC, you work for yourself. You can decide what you want to do and what you do not want to do. If you don't want to the job, then don't do it. If you do complete these unclear dictations, then you should charge the MTSO more money for the extra time and effort it took you to complete the crap. So, if you are an IC, cherry pick all you want. Do only the reports you want to do. After all, you are not their employee...you are your own employee....do what you want. You don't need to do extra work for the same pay.

They pay me by production... - cherrypicker

[ In Reply To ..]
I simply do not have the time to decipher the garbage that some of these doctors/facilities send through. I'm sorry, there are certain doctors I will not do and I send them back every single time. If you want to take the time to do them, more power to you. But I refuse. My time is more important that that. Since I am not being paid for my time, I will not waste it.

You can have the crap and the pennies that come with it.

Cherry picker, beg to differ - Some are not pennies. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Well, I'm Doing It Again, Cherry Picking
Feb 16, 2010

Because earlier this morning I transcribed a job where the dictator was absolutely flipping his s**t about some of his reports not coming out exactly the way he wants them. He went on and on, in a very condescending tone, as if I were a first-grader who belonged in the "slower class." I took the time to transcribe his rant verbatim into an e-mail which went to my supervisor, my leads, as well as the QA team, with the request that someone please look over the report to make sure I had done my pa ...

Seems Like Some Cherry Picking Was Going On...
Apr 09, 2012

I don't know what else could have explained it.  I work at Transcend and got on this evening to work and had 3 reports staring at me first in my q that were from a hard dictator and were STATs that had been OUT OF TAT since 10-11 AM this morning.  It would appear they had been skipped all day.  I don't know how because I don't know how to cherry pick if I wanted to.  Have never tried to.  It isn't fair to other MTs.  How else could it have happen ...

Cherry Picking???
Nov 05, 2012

Today there was a memo regarding cherry picking.  How can we be cherry picking in DQS?  The CMT says that she knows who is doing it.  That we are logging in and out to get our favorite dictators.  I didn't know it was possible to do this.  ...

Cherry Picking--What To Do? (sm)
Jul 31, 2013

Cherry Picking
Dec 07, 2014

I have a question. On my account I type a few notes a week, rest is all VR. So, when I see typed notes in my que, I may not take lunch or something so I can hurry up and get that note. I can type almost as fast as I can edit. My problem is this. At a certain time of day, someone comes on their shift and picks out all the typed notes and leaves me the VR. They also take good speakers. I see it ALOT. How do they do this? Can I block it? It's happened so much that now I check ...

Further Indications Of Cherry-picking
Apr 08, 2012

One of the absolute WORST dictators from my accounts had a gazillion jobs in the queue this morning, all about the same time stamp (must have been downloaded all at once). I started slogging through them, and after a couple hour,s noticed that his backlog was moving a lot faster.  Soon, no more jobs from him were coming into my queue, and I was getting jobs from other doctors. I went to lunch, came back, and lo and behold, a couple of jobs from this doctor, now about 3 or 4 hours older.&nbs ...

To Those Complaining Of Cherry Picking
Apr 09, 2012

and really horrible dictation - what area are you in?  I'm in the West and doing the worst crap I have ever come across.  ...

Cherry-picking Email.
Dec 28, 2012

I didn't think cherry picking was even possible at Nuance.  I like the idea of cutting cherry pickers off at the knees though.   However, I am pretty sure the real cherry picking is sending all of the easy stuff to India and leaving us with the difficult work types and dictators.  ...

99.6 Is Going To Encourage More Cherry Picking
Jun 04, 2013

I CAN'T STAND CHERRY PICKING
Nov 06, 2013

There's major cherry pcking going on at my job and there's nothing I can do about it and it makes me soooo mad that I'm considering finding a new job.  The "best work" is being funneled to one MT and it's so not fair to the rest of the staff.  To MTSO's - Would you rather have 1 happy MT or a staff full of happy MTs????  Doesn't make sense to me.   ...

Cherry Picking At Synernet???
Jan 16, 2014

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with rarely ever getting to work on your primary account because you can really rack up some lines on it, only to be given crappy thick accented dictators?  The reason I ask, is if work has been slow, then why are the dictations I have been getting in the evening shifts been dictated at 9 and 10 in the a.m.?  Shouldn't those have been done during the day shift?  I don't know how much more I can take of this place!!! ...

Cherry Picking Is Wrong
Oct 07, 2014

Cherry picking is wrong no matter how you look at  it.  That being said, I believe very strongly that being paid by productivity fosters that very thing!  People who are desparate to make a living sometimes resort to doing things that they would not normally do.  Add to that the fact that apparently some MTSOs PUNISH employees who do not meet minimum productivity requirements!!  When did we start treating medical transcription like factory work???!!!  I FIRMLY THINK THAT WE NEED TO BE PA ...

Thanks For The Hack Job Cherry Picking You Left Me
Sep 02, 2012

Just do your job like the rest of us,,nothing like a fellow worker that dumps crap on you. ...

The Discussions On Cherry Picking Have Been Very Eye Opening. This Industry
Feb 15, 2010

nm ...

TT--told Several Times Cherry Picking Does Not Happen.
Jun 13, 2011

I have all 8 hours worth of ESLs too.  Hey, check my number gladly...it surely is not a FAV number by any means.  Had a great account.  One day I got a call to get off because the supervisor wanted it!  Was taken off completely and now the entire account is gone.  The programs are such that they can block off a whole grouping and assign it to one person.  They think because you don't see the manager as they do, you are stupid.  But I guess we are for work ...

Know With Certainty Supervisor Is Cherry Picking Jobs.
Feb 25, 2014

Whenever I'm working and she is off, the incoming jobs are typical good, bad and indifferent with alternating different dictators, which is okay, just the usual. But, when she is working, there is nothing but bottom of the barrel crappola dictators, with no rotation until one is done dictating it's block and then another lousy one comes on with another huge block of blah blah crap. Never a good one in the bunch - unless, of course, she is gone. Coincidence? I think not. ...

To The 1 Person Cherry-picking On My Primary Account
Dec 12, 2014

You know who you are, and I know who you are.  I have been watching you do this for months now.  Whether you realize it or not, while you are playing this game, switching back and forth from VR and typing, logging off and logging on depending on the dictators, you are causing a decrease in my production.  You have been around long enough to know if there are numerous reports in typing from yesterday, you should not be on VR doing the easy reports dictated just an hour ago tod ...

ASR Now Picking Up
Mar 13, 2013

and recording it as 5th 5th 5th 5th 5th.  Quit breathing so loud!! ...

Picking The Right School
Mar 16, 2010

I am trying to find a school to get a medical transcription certification. There seem to be so many, but Penn Foster's seems the most affordable. To anyone with experience/knowledge is this a good school that will enable me to find work once completed? ...

WHAT IS QA NIT-PICKING & OVER-EDITING?
Mar 23, 2012

What is QA "nit-picking & over-editing?" Are the demands for perfection in what is now considered a low payscale & wage unrealistic and exploitive to workers? Looking for all feedback & thank you in advance for any input.   ...

Is Work Picking Up For Anyone?
Mar 28, 2013

Does it seem that work is picking up for you or not. I heard this week it is slow because of spring break, ha ha ...

Selective Picking
Mar 27, 2015

They wonder WHY so many have quit ???? I know they know what is going on, it is everywhere, many emails complaining about it, this board, other boards.  One thing is certain, sooner or later, the ones that are "in charge" and those that selectively chose which jobs to complete and get away with it because of favoritism, will have to do them all because more are close to quitting.  So tired of the dishonesty here.  I have had it!  I would rather pick food with the chickens th ...

Do You Think There Is Any Benefit To
Sep 04, 2012

studying for a "Certificate in Electronic Medical Records?" I'm not sure coding is for me; it sounds like accounting, not my strong suit. Am having to switch gears from MT to something else soon. Thanks. ...

Well, That Cherry Got Picked!
Jun 21, 2010

Had a 14-plus minute traditional report by a good dictator show up in my queue, and I hurried through the VR report I was doing to get to it.  But, BAM!  As soon as I finished the report and went to the next report, that cherry report was plucked and gone!  It was only there for a few minutes, so don't tell me it timed out.  I HATE that!   Oh, but thanks for leaving the reports done by the awful ESL.  That was kind.  ...

Cherry Pickin
Jan 25, 2013

Very easy to cherry pick on this DQS program without getting caught, do the easy dictations and get a high line count.  If you want the secret, let me know. ...

Cherry Pickers
Nov 05, 2013

REALLY??  Are we not all in the same position with this company?  Are we not all trying to work against impossible odds for a decent paycheck just to keep our heads above water?  How and why do the cherry pickers keep getting away with what they are doing without being caught and how can they keep doing what they are doing, knowing they are screwing those of us who don't.  You are the same ones over and over, and over.  Do you not care that EVERY TIME you ...

Benefit Rate
Jul 13, 2010

I thought I was prepared for the benefit rate letter.   As far as I could tell, my pay had been at least the same and once in a while actually a few dollars higher.  So, how can my benefit rate go DOWN $1 PER HOUR???????????  I was prepared that it would not be higher, but I think this is just plain wrong.  Like the other poster said - wouldn't I have noticed if I was making $80-88 per paycheck LESS (80-88 hours full time average at minus $1 per hour)??  What a bunch of hooey.  ...

New Benefit Rate
Feb 15, 2012

Are you kidding me?  Now I am down to $10 an hour for my benefit rate.  I pulled out all my old rates and it shows a steady decline.  Seriously, it CAN'T be all me.  I have dropped from $17.25 to $16.16 to 14.39 to 13.58 to 12.56 to 10.60 to now 10.00.  Is everyone else going through the same?  I type the same as I always have for years and years and years, the only change is this ASR which apparently is the death of me. ...

Benefit Rates
Jan 29, 2013

Has anyone received a letter about calculating your new benefit rate? I have had the same rate since probably last spring. I don't think they are calculating them every six months even though they say they do. I went on vacay in June and I am making the same benefit rate now that I was then. That was 8 months ago.  I know for a fact that my benefit rate is now higher than it was then,maybe that is why. It is cheaper for them to keep it lower. ...

Got New Benefit Ltr Today :(
Feb 06, 2013

all stats way up...benefit rate way down. Going to have to do some digging and calling to see how they justified this current pay cut. But on the bright side, it makes me more determined than ever to get out of this mess. ...