A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Frustrated, exhausted, need to vent - new MT

Posted: Jan 21, 2013

I enrolled in an MT course in 2010.  I didn't realize how bad the industry was getting until after I signed up.  There were no refunds so I forged ahead and was determined to get as much out of it as I could.  I didn't find a job for nearly 2 years after graduation because I wanted something part-time so I could work around my full-time job.  I'm a frugal person and wanted to try MT long enough to at least make back the money I spent on the course, then decide if it was worth continuing.   Finally this month I was hired by one of the better MT companies (based on comments I've read).  I felt grateful they would take a chance on me, being out of school 2 years and all.  I'm working 25 hrs a week, evenings and weekends.  However, after just 2 weeks I'm exhausted, frustrated, and ready to quit. 

I've worked on 6 different accounts already, all with different spec sheets to read, different formatting, different dictators, different account coordinators.  My head is spinning.  I can't get any momentum going at all.  I spend all my time looking through the spec sheets, looking up patient's names, doctor's names, hospital names, retrieving past reports for reference.  I spent 4 hours on 2 small reports yesterday.  It was yet another new account that I wasn't familiar with and the dictator was ESL.  I probably made $2.00.  I hate being a quitter, but I'm ready to throw in the towel.  At this rate I wouldn't make up the money I spent on the course for years.  I gave it a shot.  I'm done.  

I just needed to vent :)

So many years and worse than ever - PR

[ In Reply To ..]
I have now worked inhouse and out doing the same hospital work for 20+ years. Never when working inhouse did I spend so much time doing exactly what you are talking about, looking up names you send copies to, looking up past medicines they have taken, what to abbreviate and what not (they change like the wind so you have to look constantly) and that is not even mentioning the ESL and what I have to go through with those. It was never like this inhouse and I will guarantee 1 thing for you, it will not get better, take it from someone who knows.

gets better - Russell

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 15 years experience. I switched jobs and started with a big company in May 2012. I now do about 6 different accounts with this MTSO. When I first started, it was the same thing, it took so long to look up all the stupid instructions I was hardly making anything, but I stuck it out and it's better now. You get the hang of the instructions after a few months and won't even need to look at them anymore and once they trust that you know what you are doing, they won't bother you and leave you be to do your work. You get used to the ESL dictators because you'll basically get the same ones over and over again. I have learned over the years that when you start any new job, it takes a few months before you start getting used to all the instructions and start to have a fairly decent income, that's just the way it goes. You won't make a lot of money doing this anyway unless you get with a very small company that doesn't have a ton of different specs and pays a little better than the big companies do, but they are hard to come by.

This begs the question - why should we even

[ In Reply To ..]
have to wait days, weeks, months or whatever to even make a bare minimum? And then what happens if your account disappears and you get put on new accounts, new specs, new mush mouths, etc.?

I hate to be negative, but unless the pay for this job miraculously returns to the golden age of MT, it will hardly be worth it anymore even as a supplement or hobby job.
IF your account disappears? I think it's WHEN - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
I went through this. Just when the getting got good...the getting was gone (if you know what I mean).

You will ALWAYS lose an account that you become accustomed to, that becomes easier. That has been my experience. Maybe yours will be different - but now, at this point in time, I highly doubt it.

As soon as you get that speech recognition to a certain level of comprehensibility, it's going to be shipped off somewhere, or something, and it'll be gone.
You're right. That's why, after 20+ years' MT experience, - Ive stopped looking for MT jobs, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
have gone back to school to update my skills, mainly computer skills, and from here on out only plan to look for just a regular office job, which even at the lower end of the pay scale, will still be more than twice the $5/hour I'm currently making.
Downhill Course of Medical Transcription - Carol
[ In Reply To ..]
The downhill course of the field of medical transcription has been one of the most humiliating experiences of my life. I used to make enough money to support myself and live a mid-range existence. The forcing of myself into employment with a middle-man (transcription service) with no benefits and minimal wages, no vacation time has led me to a minimal existence but for the generous support of my husband. I feel MTs are grossly underpaid for their knowledge and expertise. We work had to strive for minimum LPH and accuracy (above 97+%) and we make may be $10.00 an hour when the dust settles. I have tried to find other jobs but in this economy, all the clerical jobs are met with 1 job and may be 30-50-100 applicants. You don't get a chance at the better-paying clerical jobs with such competition. Although I still love the work, it has been a downhill course of despair about the ability to provide adequately for onself.

Were you posting to me, Russell? - PR

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure, but if you were you missed the part where I said I have 20+ years doing the same hospital work, worked inhouse first only to be outsourced and still have the same hospital. I do not have several different accts, do not want to be bothered by anymore than I already have. I do not agree with the theme of your post that it will get better because I have done this long enough to know frontwards and back and it is harder now than when I first started in 1990 (same place, remember).
I'm pretty sure he was replying to the OP, but just put it under the wrong post. - (no message)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Keeping Track of Different Specs, MD names, etc. - Carol

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 3 different accounts so far. I use a free program called Debrief. It is great for organizing any information in a tree fashion. There is a pay version and I am considering it because I like the program so much but I have used the free version for several years. It is easy to toggle back and forth between the categories. You can make your own folders and sub folders and name them whatever is convenient. You can sort the items within the folders alphabetically. You can copy and paste from a word document or information from an internet search. It really helps to get organized and is really pretty easy to access information quickly.

OneNote is also great.. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I transcribe for several facilities and clinics with numerous doctors and instructions/account specifics like you would not believe. OneNote is also a great program and comes with Microsoft Office.

It does get easier. The first 1-2 years, you might not make much money but spend it (reference material, workshops, software, etc.). It cost me $8000 to work the first 1-2 years, but I was building up my reference library in every field and equipment.

I do all of this in one folder on desktop containing subfolders - and all info per account. no program. NM

[ In Reply To ..]

also venting - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought I could tough out this profession, but I'm done with it too. My experience with MTSOs has been that they will cover their butts from every angle possible to get the most work out of you with as little pay as possible. Your time, accuracy and dedication mean little to nothing.

I have seen my skill, accuracy and speed improve over the years while my paychecks get smaller and smaller.

I know how much I need to make to pay bills each month, but my pay depends almost solely on the quantity and quality of work the company sends me. Sometimes there is no work at all.

The company I am with now isn't horrible, but I have a feeling it may be bought out by one of the big ones at some point. Could be tomorrow, who knows?

While there are still decent MT jobs out there, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm training for a different line of work and am so done with MT, too. I tried and wanted it to work, but I'm powerless in terms of what the industry is becoming. I can't wait to leave this behind as a poor career choice and a bad memory.

Commiseration & encouragement appreciated! - new MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Renewed with sleep and ibuprofen, I've decided to stick it out a little longer. Long enough to see my first paycheck at least. I know my line rate but have no idea how the qualified lines pay. If the hourly rate calculates to something ridiculously small and I can't justify the time I've invested so far, I'm done. Kicking myself for purchasing another Stedman's word book for the psychiatric account. Who knows if I'm even on that account anymore. I just wish they'd let me focus on a few accounts instead of throwing everything but the kitchen sink at me.

Eh, who knows... after the terrible reports I turned in yesterday, they might can me anyway!

Different accounts-look at it this way instead - me

[ In Reply To ..]
They are providing you with experience and paid training on various accounts. You will not learn as much transcribing the same account or dictator.

My first job was transcribing operative notes for a surgery center with numerous physicians. I was extremely lucky to be presented with this opportunity. The training was invaluable. The first 6 months, my husband did not know whether to duck when he came home or hug me (I actually threw my C-phone through the window one day). However, I thank my lucky stars. I have no problems landing jobs or clients due to this job, and as luck would have it, I now have a surgery center account transcribing the exact same physicians, just at another facility!

Hang in there.... it is worth it in the end.
Yeah, true - new MT
[ In Reply To ..]
And they did hire me after being out of school for 2 years and with no prior MT experience. Other MTSOs turned me down for this. The account coordinators have been patient and helpful, no complaints there. I don't want to quit 2 weeks in and burn bridges just because I had a bad day. Thanks for this.

Getting Canned - Carol

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for one of those big MTSOs a couple years ago. First time I ever got canned in my life. I always considered myself to be conscientious, a fairly good MT and willing to go the extra mile. I cannot for the life of me believe that I got canned. Mostly it was because of not making a ridiculously high LPH rate consistently but there were rules upon rules that got very confusing and if you slipped up and did not follow a procedure exactly right, they would think you were doing it on purpose and would can you for that. It was so unfair. They said they only hired the "cream of the crop" -- a load of BS. They just wanted to make you feel good before the slaughter. I now work for a more "humane" company but still making barely enough to survive on.

I've ridden this profession as far down as I can go. - (sm) - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
The next step down on the ladder is homelessness, and I don't want to go there, so I'm getting out as soon as I can get hired in some other capacity. If that doesn't happen, I'll take early retirement, and supplement that by selling stuff on eBay. Or baking cookies. Or whatever. But I'm NOT going to be relegated to living in my car just to remain an MT.

Get poster board and write down specs and hang on wall - so all you need do is look up.

[ In Reply To ..]
Your mind's eye will make a snapshot of it after a while. Color code for different accounts. Use black and a certain color for each account so it won't be all jumbled visually.

That or - a white board

[ In Reply To ..]
and dry erase markers for frequent changes.

That would have to be one pretty large poster board. - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I last worked on an account with 12 different accounts within one network all with different specifics and sometimes different specifics for doctors within each account.

Guess what, after all my efforts at studying the specs, highlighting, organizing with dividers in a notebook, and working 10 hour days (and being told we could work as much as we wanted, just not to write down more than 40 hours for the week), the MTSO lost the account.

One poster per account - is what I meant.

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't as specific as I should have been.

It gets better if they don't - keep switching accounts.

[ In Reply To ..]
If you work at a place where you're able to stay on the same few accounts consistently, you will build up production. You'll learn all the specs, physician names, etc., and become familiar with even the difficult dictators and everyone's standard phrases and so forth. But, if as is common today, they keep switching you from one account to another, it will be hard to build up production.

You've only been at this 2 weeks. Don't give up yet. - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
What you're experiencing is normal, i.e. the frustration, exhaustion, etc. Even with the multiple accounts, it does get better.

When you're starting out, take full advantage of QAs, mentors, etc. If you can't find something after a couple of tries, send it to QA. Spending too much time on a report hurts only you, not only by the low pay, but it keeps you from getting more reports done, and...

more reports = more experience = better pay = better job satisfaction

There's not much you can do about the multiple accounts. That's the reality of MT now. If you limit yourself to just a couple of accounts, you'll run out of work often.

You need to give MT at least a few months. It'll take about that long to see the repetition and develop some sort of rhythm. Even being bounced around on multiple clients, you'll still see some repetition. If after 3 months you still feel the same way you do today, then it might be best for you to quit, but I'm absolutely positive that if you can hang on for 3 months, you'll feel better about your skill enough to want to push on for another 3 months, then another 3, and before you know it, you'll have a full year under your belt.

You appear to have a lot of potential. Don't give up yet.

Thanks for the encouragement & insight! - (nm) new MT

[ In Reply To ..]

Keeping Track of Different Specs, MD names, etc. - Carol

[ In Reply To ..]
Another little suggestion that has helped me is to use 2 monitors, side-by-side. I have the typing platform open on one monitor and all other programs on the other including my mail program, my IM, my tabbed browser, etc. That way I can look up stuff, copy and paste or just refer to information while being able to look at the document I am working on. I really think it has helped me quite a bit.

Similar Messages:

No Work All Week, Now We're Busy And I'm Exhausted.
Sep 05, 2014

I'm exhausted from sitting around doing nothing just about all week. I cannot believe the mismanagement of this company from the TSMs to the COMs and those higher. Why can't someone figure this out? We MLSs know how to figure out minutes, MLS availability, etc., but we're not allowed to give any suggestions, etc., because we're just lowly MLSs. The COMs are particularly useless and a waste of corporate dollars. More money taken from MLSs to give to someone with a title that m ...

Ok, Maybe Im Exhausted, But Typing A Report Where The Wound Has "pussy Drainage." SM
Nov 16, 2009

I mean I must have come across this before and if I have and have typed pussy drainage, I guess I never really thought it sounded funny... but tonight it does and Im totally confused.  With pus translate to pussy when describing a wound's drainage?  Or should I change it to pus-like drainage? ...

I'm Frustrated
May 24, 2010

So, our hospital outsourced and that did not work for me.  I am looking for another job, but from what I see, what used to be a valued service is now a low cents per line and you have to work nights and every weekend for half the pay.  When were we so devalued and how are they able to take this from us.  I am now looking at school because as a widow and two boys to still raise, I can't make it is the income.  I am not a slow transcriptionist, but I can't settle for ...

Frustrated With Pay
Aug 18, 2010

Just need to vent!!  I used to work for a transcription company on production pay at 7 cents/line after a few years there and basically getting starved out of the door for lack of work they were sending me I quit.  Now the clinic they were typing for has hired me to do the same work as I had been doing, same docs, same format, everything!!!  At, get this, $8/hour!!!!  I have a degree in MT plus close to 5 years experience doing THEIR dictations needless to say!!!  Really ...

Frustrated!!
Sep 19, 2011

Hi there fellow MT's.  I am so frustrated and wanted to find out if I'm on an island all by myself, or if there are other MT's that are just as frustrated!!  I have submitted, (NO JOKE) over 30 resumes within the past few months and I am getting absolutely, positively NO responses.  I have almost 10 years of experience, so I know that's not the problem.  I'm starting to wonder if it's my cover letter or resume, but I have used the same ...

I Am So Frustrated, It Seems I Took A Cut In Pay
May 07, 2012

and more that is unrelated to transcription.  This just seems wrong.  I get paid by production, yet I am doing all sorts of work that involves something a clerical worker should be doing.  Is anyone else experiencing this? ...

So Frustrated
Jun 06, 2012

I am just venting. I took a position with a company a few months ago as a secondary income and the platform and dictators are great - very easy to make good money. The problem is there's not enough work to hit my daily line counts and when I ask for more, I kind of get the brush off. It baffles me because there are other accounts in which they have work and they have even needed to post job openings and yet, I sit with no work. I also find it suspect that when I do ask for more work the ...

Frustrated New MT!
Nov 16, 2012

New MTs just curious, who has actually gotten a job!? And which company? I need some encouragement because I'm beginning to think this industry is completely bogus!  ...

New And Frustrated
May 19, 2013

I am new to Nuance. I literally started just this month. I have become very frustrated in the last few days. At first I thought I was really learning from my feedback but I continue to get QA scores of no greater than 95%. I work really hard, listen through reports 3 - 4 times, but I've always done something wrong. Just ranting. ...

Frustrated! Need A Job!!!
Nov 12, 2013

After 13+ years of working in transcription, I am so frustrated. The pay is less, the jobs seem abundant but getting hired is like pulling teeth from a rhino! I have plenty of experience in transcription, QA and account management. Hell, I've even worked the help desk and scheduling but no luck!   This mama needs Christmas cash and fast!  ...

Frustrated About OOW
Jan 16, 2015

I have been with Nuance for a month and a half.  How the heck can I get my 20 hours a week in when all week I have consistently been OOW.  I was told upon being hired that I would have plenty of work.  I need a dependable income and if this is going to continue, I will have to look elsewhere.  I will say that I like the account I am on and because of that I don't want to change where I work, but my bank account tells me I need money.  I have a friend that has told m ...

Frustrated
May 12, 2015

I am feeling rather frustrated and need to vent... Over the last month or so I have been actively pursuing other employment in the MT field. I realize the pickins are slim and the grass is NOT GREENER on the other side, so to speak, but it is what it is and this is the field I am in and need to be in while my kids still need me at home....  However, I am an experienced MT (14+ years experience)... while I understand a company wanting you to test, I do not understand these lengthy 2-hour lo ...

Frustrated And Depressed
Apr 01, 2010

Is there anyone out there that is making the same or more money with MQ since all this has changed. I am an MME and I just cannot seem to make any money.   I try so hard to make ends meet, this is going to be the first time I will not be able to make my car payment.   When I get on a roll the system seems freeze up or I just get horrible dictators the rest of my shift.  I feel alone? If there was someone who can tell me, they are able to stay at same rate, then I can ...

Getting Extremely Frustrated
Aug 30, 2010

I have been out of school since July 15 and applied to over 30 companies.  I applied for this job at a company and haven't heard back yet.  I am optimistic that  I may get this job, but it is taking forever to hear back.  Passed their first test, took the second one, now I am waiting to hear back if I got hired or not. In the meantime though, how do I find other companies online?  I have looked everywhere and felt like I have already applied to every company online ...

Really Getting Frustrated And Depressed
Oct 08, 2010

I have been a stay at home mom since my son was born. During that time I also became a cancer survivor(ovarian). When my son started kindergarten, I decided to go back to school. Since medical transcription is really the only legitimate work you can do from home, I decided to go that route. I was amazed at the schooling and surprised at how well I did. I thought for sure, being an older student and out of the education loop for a while that I wouldn't do well. But I surprised myself. I real ...

VERY FRUSTRATED NEWBIE
Feb 17, 2011

I am new to this industry and have been looking for a job since October 2010.  I am very frustrated because I have filled out over 20 applications and taken over 15 tests.  I pass each and everyone with flying colors, but yet they have turned me down for having NO experience.  I do not understand that if I am passing their tests and they are so "impressed" with me (as they state when they give me my results), then why are they turning me down?  I may not have the experience, ...

Tired And Frustrated
Jan 20, 2012

I am working on a H&P, specifically the history of present illness and am just stumped on this sentence... Bowel urinary contains 10 (sl- nights n e) (sl- teading or tidding) tendencies, exercise (sl- toilets) unlimited. Does any of this make sense? Or can you make sense out of it? Would be greatly appreciated! ...

Frustrated ED Transcriptionist
Jan 21, 2012

Frustrated that even though I have stressed my proficiency in ED work, I am still forced to do other work types first, while yet others are getting ED work types in their "pools"... I would think you would want someone who types fast in a certain area be allowed to crank that work out first and then when it runs out, let the other work types they are not so good at roll into their pool....  Frustrated ...

Frustrated Newbie!
Mar 09, 2012

Hi, I graduated from a local community college with Medical Transcription back in May, last year. Since then it has been simply aggravating finding a job, I wish I had chosen a school on line instead. So far, I've come up with nothing, job wise, and I'm thinking I made the wrong decision about getting into this career. Everywhere I look, they are asking for two years of experience at least, to start out with, or they won't even give me a chance. It's extremely frust ...

Frustrated - Getting OOW When Jobs Are Available - Sm
Jun 14, 2012

I keep getting an OOW message on my account and when I look at NetScript, there are at least 10 jobs that are available to edit/transcribe and not checked out yet and every time I check, there are more available.  They are dictators I get all the time so I am not sure why I am getting OOW.  I emailed supervisor, but she doesn't start for another 2 hours.  I can't flex again because I have appointments to go to and my kids to take care of during my "off" time, and I don&# ...

Very Frustrated Right Now!! I Have Taken Some Tests
Sep 03, 2012

for MT jobs that were ridiculous as in you basically need to be a doctor to pass, but I took a pretest just to take the coding course and it was ridiculous, as well.  I sure felt like emailing them and saying nevermind, I would not consider taking a course that you have to be a doctor just to do coding!!  Very frustrating!!!! ...

Frustrated With This Field
Mar 25, 2013

After reading everyone's posts about how these companies are always running out of work, but always hiring, it's very discouraging to even apply for a position.  I'm currently PRN with a clinic that is suppose to be going EMR sometime this year and I've been out of work for the last 5 days.  No work = No pay!!!  I got on here to see what everyone was saying about some of the companies out there I could apply with for part-time work and it's just so discour ...

Very Frustrated!! I Have Been Trying To Apply
Jun 23, 2013

to apply for a position, but the online application keeps telling me to give distinct answers, which I did and it then tells me to correct the errors, which there were none.  Can someone help me past this? ...

I'm Frustrated, 9/10 Reports So Far Have Been
Mar 12, 2014

foreigners with horrible accents, hard to understand, multiple blanks. I can't make money this way. I've noticed it gets worse and worse as time goes by. I know, I know, there are the US docs who talk fast and sloppy, but seriously between VR, unintelligible sentences, and low pay I'm ready to quit. Thanks for listening. ...

So Frustrated....why Can't I Get Webclock
Nov 16, 2014

to work from either my favorites bar OR saved on the desktop?  I am so tired of having to type the website directly.  I CAN save it to the desktop, but when I click on it, it just gives me a message that says "timeout condition detected" and will not go to Webclock.  ??? Anyone else have this problem? ...

Increasingly Frustrated With SoftScript!
Nov 28, 2009

I usually do not complain on this board, but I have seriously had enough.  I usually tried to stay positive about SoftScript, but no longer!  There are only 3 days left in this payperiod and I have done only just over 1000 lines.  "No Work Available" seems to be the pattern lately.  Plus, I have emailed management several times asking to get a secondary account and have not even gotten a reply email to say we are working on it or even "no", NOTHING!!!  I used to have a s ...

Frustrated With The BOS 3rd Edition Being Web-based!
Dec 30, 2009

The pdf electronic version of BOS-2 was so handy and easy to use.  Wonder what made them decide to do away with that & make it to where you have to open a browser, find the link, sign in, find the BOS page, etc., for the 3rd edition.  It's so much more time-consuming, not to mention the search feature doesn't work nearly as well as the BOS-2 pdf version.  For the first time ever, I can't wait for the 4th edition because surely nobody likes this & they will g ...

Frustrated With Schedule...Chill Or Say Something?
Dec 20, 2010

I took this job in the begining of the year the first transcriptionist on a new account and when hired they told me that a benefit of being the first hired on the account was that I was able to have first pick of schedule.  I chose Sunday night through Thursday night 3rd shift and worked that up until 4 months ago when my team lead e-mailed me and told me that weekends were the busiest time and that they got no weekend benefit from me working my current schedule so gave me the choice to wor ...

ExpressScribe Pro Expired? So Frustrated......
Jul 11, 2012

I was in the middle of working on a file on ExpressScribe Pro and a box popped up saying that it had expired and that I would have to purchase it.  It had said at the top that it was licensed and my name.  I was having issues with playing the files and they sent me an update link to fix it.  Now a month later it tells me that my program has expired and that I have to purchase it.  I am so frustrated right now and NCH will not answer my questions anymore or respond in any way ...

Job Not So Good! Frustrated This Morning!
Jun 12, 2013

Just want to vent! Here it is late morning, been available to work for over 4 hours, only worked less then 30 minutes, most of that is due to work availability. So just sitting here with no work- it seems like so much of the time is wasted waiting!!!!! Only if we could be paid to be available to work. It seems wrong that we get dinged for lousy dictators, even on a 100% QA account, isn't that the point of 100% QA, we get dinged for not making line count (no jobs, awful dictators, many corre ...