A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Did anyone watch 60 Minutes' opening segment - last night about older workers who - sm

Posted: Oct 25, 2010

were out of work, their UE benefits had run out, and they were "too young to retire, but too old for rehire?"   That story was an eye-opening and scary. 

older workers on 60 minutes - jane

[ In Reply To ..]
yes. i am sure there are others who live in other places than silicon valley who are in this situation. having said that, age discrmination is still with us. the perky 25 - 30 year old female or the young goodlooking guy will be hired before an older worker, provided they have the needed qualifications or at least some.i will be 70 next month and am thankful to have a part time job doing something i enjoy, transcription.

60 minutes - Stephanie

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I did and I almost cried. I'm only 32, but all I saw were a bunch of people who are old enough to be my parents. Further, I also used to live in the San Jose area. Even though I live in SoCal now, I enjoyed my time there and it really hurt to see people there who are really suffering. I could not believe the 1 lady who lost her job, went through her savings, lost her home, and is now living in a room. Totally sad and sickening.

Similar Messages:

Are Liver Lobes Segment IVB Or Segment 4B ??
Jan 18, 2011

:) ...

64 Minutes Of Phone Off The Hook - Not Wasting My Time Listening To The Entire 64 Minutes!
Mar 07, 2014

Only warrants periodic scans. If anyone comes back at me for that, they can listen to 64 minutes of nothing themselves. If the doctor dictated, too bad he did not follow protocol = put the dictation on hold when not dictating or hang up the phone! ...

Wow. I Have Been Clocked In 45 Minutes, And My Inactive Time Shows As 34 Minutes.
May 08, 2013

It appears to be only counting the active time to be the actual time the audio is playing and not all the time I spend in ADT and formatting. Looks like they may be manipulating the figure to ding people "for not actively working" for long periods of time. Hmmm, building another way to fire people? ...

? Segment
Sep 12, 2012

Hirschsprung's disease, endorectal pull-through, resecting the s/l aeonic segment   Thanks! ...

ST-T Segment Abnormalities?
Apr 23, 2012

Would this be right?  I've heard of ST-T-wave abnormalities but not ST-T segment.  It sounds like he is saying "ST-T," and is definitely saying segment.     ...

ST-segment Depressions V4-V6a
Oct 09, 2012

ST-segment depressions V4-V6a.  Is the "a" correct on the "V6"?  Thanks a bunch. ...

Vasectomy - S/l Inter...... Segment
Jun 13, 2015

Vasectomy procedure note.   "Mucosa cautery was performed on both the testicular and abdominal end after cutting out an inter----- segment."   and  "then proceeded to perform mucosal cautery on both the testicular and then the abdominal end after cutting out the inter--- segment." Two different files, same _____ in both.  Help! ...

Pelvic Exam Of Pregnant Woman_Aura ? Segment
Dec 21, 2009

Doctor says bimanual exam shows an anteflexed uterus, somewhat senstiive, aura ? segment was not easy to palpate for softness.  What is the name of the segment he is referring to?  ...

Job Opening For CCM
Mar 31, 2012

Got an e-mail with job openings. That's a first. They need a CCM, any takers? I was interested to see they supervise 50-70 MTs.  I thought it was a lot more than that. I thought the reason my CCM seldom sends out e-mails or answers e-mails or the phone, for that matter, was because she had about 300 MTs to supervise. Seriously, we get more e-mail from Vern than from her. Just a random thought while passing through... ...

Here's A New One (I Think) So Watch Out!
Jun 01, 2010

I just failed another audit.  No indications I was even being audited, no % showing up in my feedback like usual.  I thought it was so weird because I have been extra extra careful.  So I go to actually look at the work I typed instead of just the info that is sent to me.  My last audit was done on 5/24 all reports were typed that day and audited that day.  My audit this week was work from 5/23 and 5/24.  They didn't even audit my current work! ...

Watch This
Mar 25, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6iBU9Hlr2w If someone were to look up transcription on youtube they only get the rosey, candy coated lies. ...

Watch Out QA, You Will Probably Be Next
May 21, 2015

They have squeezed all the blood out of MTs they could (for a while), then they start on the QC..   Sorry QC but we all must share the evil as well as the good.  Now the QA who have the power to impact all our pay must have to wonder "Could this happen to me next?"  I sure as heck hope so.  They usually say "Sh** flows down stream", but in this case it seems to be going up.  I like my TSM, but also find it annoying for them to discuss their vacations, letting us kn ...

S/l Lusyngeal Opening
Aug 02, 2011

Argh, one side of my headphones isn't working.  This patient is 10 days status post I&D and wound vac application on her leg.  The doctor says:  she still has a lysengial opening approximately 1 cm by 5 mm in size.  ...

Opening .dct Files
Nov 16, 2013

i need to open a .dct file.  I guess I have to download the file to open this but don't know which one to trust.  Any suggestions??? Thanks! ...

Watch Your Headings
Sep 09, 2010

Make sure your headings are spelled correctly before uploading as the spell checker ignores them completely, which makes me highly suspicious that they are not included in our line count whether we type them or insert them.  You know, DQS was the only good thing MQ had going for it until this update.  They had some good ideas, but implemented them poorly, not to mention should have done a beta with a handful of non-suck-up and non-family-member-to-the-CEO MTs first.  I have a fe ...

Acusis - Watch Out
Jul 15, 2012

Beware . . . Watch out for this company!!!  They do nothing but move employees around continously and train them on new accounts so there isn't any room for advancement or the ability to excel on a specific account.  Lastly, they have US MTs get all the 'bugs' out on an account and then move the account off shore and lay off their US MTs.  There is a lack of communication and lack of professional management throughout the entire company.  Just a heads up to any ...

Does Anyone Know When The Deadline Is To Watch
Nov 16, 2012

the webinar & be paid for it?  Does it have to be done by today, or can we do it next week? ...

2 More Things To Watch For...
Jan 08, 2013

shorted on PTO accrual - waiting for call from HR - and QA now searching out very short reports, due to the 'nuance improved' QA calculation, 1 minor 0.25 error made my score 97.73! ...

Watch Your Emails
Oct 03, 2013

Just recently our QC sent out an email to an MT in our group for a HIPAA error and blind copied all the MT/MME in the BOB.  This poor MT would never have known unless others came forward and reported that they got this email in error. Make sure that if you get an email it is only coming to you.  I really hope she files a complaint with HR for shaming her in front of her peers.  Don't look, don't share apparently does not apply to anyone other than MT/MME. ...

Hurry! Landmark Has An Opening Again - Sm
Nov 20, 2010

Nah - they don't answer any responses to their ads anyway.  Don't bother. ...

Home Based Job Opening
Oct 18, 2012

UnitedHealth Group is hiring home based healthcare claims investigator. Must have working knowledge of CPT/ICD-9 codes. ...

SoftScript's Website Has An Opening
Oct 20, 2012

SoftScript is in need of a Software Engineer with expertise in Artificial Intelligence, information extraction, machine learning and natural language processing. The appropriate candidate will work with our IT team to develop a crucial portion of our system. Does this mean their take on VR has changed and now they are looking into it for their software. ...

Delay Opening Posts
Aug 23, 2013

It takes me 3-5 minutes to open each post on this site.  Any suggestions? ...

Genetics Transcription Opening
Nov 25, 2013

I pursued this same position a few months ago but ultimately declined it due to the hours.  I keep seeing it reappear every couple of months since then. Does or has anyone worked on that account and is there a reason they keep recruiting for it?  It was a tough decision not to take it as I love genetics and find it fascinating, but every time I see it pop up I'm thinking maybe I dodged an enormous bullet by not taking it (lack of work, horrific dictators, etc). I thought perhaps ...

Tier Testing Is Opening Again
Jan 13, 2015

FYI ...

Softscript WATCH OUT FOR THIS COMPANY
Oct 14, 2010

Softscript--What a Confused Company  http://www.softscript.com/ AVOID THIS COMPANY!!! What a bunch of really unorganized and mismanaged people there. The owner and HR offered me a job (in writing) then called me and rescinded it even before they got my overnight package. This all happened after stringing me along for a month. Buyer beware. ...

Anyone Besides Me Go On YouTube And Watch Videos Of
Jan 20, 2011

x ...

Watch Your Medical Records
Jan 14, 2015

Since Septemer 2014, every visit with every provider has gone like this. 1) The medical assistant types into my record. 2) The provider types into my record. At the end of my visit, they hand me the summary of my visit that day. It goes like this 1) The medications are mostly right although some are wrong and way wrong. 2) My age is off by 10 years at one facility and they 'cannot correct it.' 3) My height and weight are off a whole lot at another facility and they 'cannot c ...

Whats Going To Be Next A Web Cam To Watch Us At Our Desk
Apr 10, 2015

this is a sweatshop.  The way they are monitoring means they expect our hands on our keyboard for the entire 8 hours.  Hate this company!!!! Have a couple leads on a new job.  Can't wait to be out of here.  And they will get NO NOTICE from me since I was never given any notice to all the horrible changes they made for me. ...

PLASTICS Skilled MT-small Opening
May 11, 2010

What happened to the PLASTICS skilled MT - small opening ad? ...