A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cool story about a remarkable young woman - who is making a change - sm

Posted: Jan 06, 2012

in how corporations do business.  I think sold-out American workers like ourselves could make the same changes in how they think about offshoring.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/06/us-usa-companies-backlash-idUSTRE80424T20120106

Hey - thanks for sharing. I didn’t know such a site as (sm) - yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
www.change.org existed.

I don't think the general public - alana

[ In Reply To ..]
knows the extent of the job crisis. Was talking to a new CPA who worked for 6 months as an intern and then was hired by the company - a huge well-known acctg. firm. Her job was just outsourced to Argentina.

Companies "hiring" interns get free labor, something that was being investigated a few years ago. Interns and independent contractors lower their tax burden and expenditures, and more often than not, the worker doesn't make out well.

There are other problems. For example, major airlines are now starting regional airlines and pilots get paid per job, and are scrambling to get jobs even if they're exhausted. The crash in Buffalo a few years back was a pay-per-flight pilot who was exhausted.

The obsession with the bottom line is killing wages, jobs and in some cases, people.

Similar Messages:

The Wordlady Is Stuck... Remarkable For Sisters With Banrecklin-Hauser Syndrome
Dec 20, 2009

The doc spelled this but I googled and cannot find it anywhere, especially with the first part.  I don't have any idea what part of the body it is because she is just listing PMH.  Thanks for any thoughts or ideas. ...

MT With Young Children At Home
Dec 13, 2011

I am working as an MT with young children at home.  I don't have set hours per se, but do have a quota to meet.  I get frustrated with trying to make ends meet financially, but also being there for my family needs and responsibilities as well.  Does anyone have any advice on on being an MT at home while managing family life? ...

Are There Still Young People Wanting To Do This?
Jun 21, 2015

As my mind wanders through the shift, I was thinking do the young people still want to do this for a living?  Are these medical transcription schools still in existence and telling people they can make a wonderful living at this?  I just wonder if, in the next 10 years or so, as the oldtimers (like me) retire or go work at Wal-Mart, what is going to happen in this wonderful career choice?  Will they have to actually start paying a decent wage just to get people to do this?  O ...

Working With Young Kids At Home
May 30, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to work at home with 2 small kids, under age of 3.  Losing a babysitter and have no other options.  I have done it before but not for long periods of time.  Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Arthrex Cool Cut VAPR
Jul 02, 2010

Hi, I have an ortho report for impingement syndrome of the shoulder.  He says that he used a combination of arthroscopic shaver and Arthrex cool cut VAPR to remove tissue.  I cannot find this cool cup VAPR anywhere.  Has anyone heard of this? Thanks! ...

A Place To Post; SO COOL!
Nov 14, 2010

I'm giddy!  Finally found a medical transcription site worth exploring!  Was recently TERMINATED (not laid off) after 24 years and have found mere handful of web sites legitimate, much less helpful as this one is!  Now just hope the home office job I applied for wants me! ...

It's Snowing On This Board - How Cool Is That.
Dec 17, 2010

No message really.  Just thought it was cool.  ...

3 Cool Things Today
Nov 14, 2013

This morning, from this very forum, I learned the term "exenteration" and added it to my glossary... and used it for the first time in a report, to-day. Buried in some ADT this morning I just happened to notice the name of a *fantastic* dictator I knew from 3 years ago at a completely different MTSO. Maybe I'll get some of her reports again... I googled a phrase and the only reference was to an article the dictator himself wrote. Easy A. So, I hope I haven't reached my aweso ...

GU Exam On Young Male S/l Smoral Ring
Jan 27, 2010

Gu exam on 9 year old. s/l smoral ring was palpated and no masses felt. ...

Isn't It Cool That The New Payroll System Shows You
Jan 25, 2011

when you last performance review/raise was?  LOL!!! Like I have had to many I cant remember the last one... NOT! ...

Has Anyone Seen Cool Hand Luke (1967) With
May 11, 2015

There is a scene in it which reminds me of working for MM.  Strother Martin is explaining to Paul Newman what happens for infractions of the rules... Do this, "In the box."  Do that, "In the box."  Do something else, "In the box." The box is an isolation pit dug in the ground in the hot Texas summer.  Kind of like being put on performance management for every thing we do. ...

S/l Young Lowdly Catheter? Really Sounds Like Yell Loudly :)
Mar 18, 2014

pediatric. ...

THE OTHER WOMAN
Mar 30, 2014

I am one of those oldies, but goodies...higher education, BS university level, married to a professional as a young woman for many years.  At the time of my divorce, I told many of my friends and family, "When the men get away with doing this to their wives ("First Wives" movies needed to condone it), the corporations will do the same to the men, and those same men will not be able to point any fingers because they did the same thing to their women," a labor issue, if you will, wh ...

WOMAN'S ROLE
Mar 31, 2014

In answer to my original post to Val, only 2 issues here, Val:1. We are almost all woman. It is run like a system that once historically ran hospitals. We are not a Walmart, Kmart, Target, McDonalds. We are skilled workers, women for the most part, and from the old days, historically this has been a woman's role/job in a fraternity of higher powers, the men who once often had nuns as cohorts filling this postion for no pay at all.2. Although some individual hospitals may not care about thei ...

Supplement - S/l Kir-say-tin Plus. Pt Is A 67 Year Old Woman.
Jan 06, 2011

x ...

Is It Possible For A Woman To Take Avodart??? I Thought It Was For BPH. (nm)
Jan 10, 2011

nm ...

TERMINATED: A WOMAN SCORNED
Aug 15, 2013

It's 7 hours since being terminated and I have begun the dismantling of my office, sorting through e-files, papers, sticky notes, reminders, etc., gotta oil the shredder because it's gonna be working overtime (pun intended).  After 26 years of working here in this room I have many emotions.  I loved working at home for Secrephone and Medquist.  MModal, however, is the worst, the worst management crew, no scruples, no morals, (just plain no brains), money-hungry execs loo ...

Do You Like Transcribing For A Woman Better Than A Man Or Vice Versa? (SM)
Jan 19, 2010

I am to the point where I despise hearing a woman dictate because she is usually even more unorganized than my male dictators (if that were possible, lol), at least that is how it is for me.  The 1 that I am working on currently cannot make up her mind, is mushed mouth, once she makes up her mind she rattles it off so quickly that it is barely understandable, if at all at times and constantly goes back up into the report because she forgot something. Just curious as to how every once ...

Do You Say 5 Feet, 4 Inch Woman Or 5 Foot
May 29, 2011

5 feet or 5 foot. I think it should be 1 foot and anything over 1, then feet, but now its sounding weird. I always type feet. Just wondering what other people do. ...

How Would You Type, 69- Nearly 70-year-old Woman? Would That Be Correct? Thanks! Nm
Sep 22, 2012

.. ...

To All MTs Who Claim To Make More Money Than Woman With BS Degrees.....
Jun 13, 2012

Those of you who claim to make TONS OF MONEY TYPING....  You are not straight typing MTs under regular circumstances IF I believe you...and I don't.   You probably work 7 days a week, all hours of the day like most MTs.  You DO NOT work a regular 8-hour day, 5 days a week and make that much money.  If that were true...there would be much more competition.  The only perk is being at home.  Period...End of story.  Stop trying to sell me your ocean front pro ...

Richest Woman In The World Believes In Paying
Sep 08, 2012

Here's the link:  http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-richest-woman-pay-20120905,0,6971046.story And, JMHO -- if I were the richest woman in the world, and I looked like that, I'd invest some of that money in bariatric surgery, a hairstylist, and a face lift! ...

Doing A Report On A 95 Foot Tall Woman - And It Is Randomly
Sep 28, 2013

nm ...

My TTS Story
May 01, 2010

Here is my TTS story.  I was hired by the owner in July, 2007 as an IC.  I liked the owner. She seemed a down-to-earth logical person who cared about her company, her employees and had a degree of integrity you don't find at the national companies. She asked me what I was looking for and after I explained she understood the type of account I needed and placed me on an account that suited my needs.  No bait and switch which is pretty common pract ...

My Story
Mar 03, 2013

When I was 50 years old, I got fed up with making a low salary, so I decided to go back to school. I started University of Phoenix and majored in IT.  This past December, at 54 years old, I graduated. Before I graduated, I started getting scared that at my age I would not find an entry level job in a young male dominated industry.  I had a few really bad interviews. A week ago, I was hired as an IT Project Manager, and this year I will make close to $100,000. My last several paychec ...

Same Old Story
Mar 29, 2015

Same old story--lost my good hourly-paying, direct-employee job and wondered what to do next. I started looking into records because to me it seemed a good move for a transcriptionist to make. It took some time but I did get a job in records--and I hate it.  I'll do my best and learn what I can, but now I'm glad I didn't spend time and money getting certified in records before having actually worked in it. It might be worth trying another records job elsewhere, since eac ...

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Ugh, Same Story Every Time
Nov 05, 2011

I am honest when interviewing with prospective companies/MTSOs. I tell them my experience then tell them I'm ready and able to work.  Will they have at least 1000 lines a day for me to work? Would there ever be a chance for 1500+ per day/per "shift"? Guess what?  They ALWAYS say yes. They ALWAYS say, "Oh, it's very rare we ever run out of work!  You won't find that problem HERE with us!" Guess what again?  Still ALWAYS running out of work.  Seems 500-800 ...

My Nuance Story
Apr 29, 2012

I'm not on here to bash Nuance.  I am here to tell my story ...... you take from it what you want. I have been doing MT work for 8 years.  I have worked for several national companies.  I was EXTREMELY happy with my job and then Nuance came along and swallowed up our little transcription service just like it has done to so many others.  It was not all bad .........but most of it was.  Nuance, to be fair, does offer 401K, medical benefits, and PTO, even to their pa ...

A Sweatshop Story
Dec 31, 2012

My grandmother used to tell a story about working in a dress factory in the 1950s. They started her out sewing pockets. It was piecemeal work. She had to meet quota to keep her job. If she went so much over quota, she made a bonus. When she started making bonuses on pockets, they moved her to setting zippers. When she started making bonuses on zippers, they moved her to a different station. And on it went. Work, work, work, produce, produce, produce until the whistle blew. Can't ma ...