A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Besides carpal tunnel and PVD, what else - do we have to worry about....

Posted: Jul 11, 2014

as far as occupational hazards? Are we more prone to head and neck disease because of earphone usage? Arthritis because of all the hand work? I am trying to stay ahead of any potential health problems if I can. I notice that my eyes are shot from this job. I have to get a stronger prescription every year. Thanks to any response.

Don't furgedda bout sciatica pain! - Teardrop

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't minimize the pain coming from the sciatic nerve. Big OUCH.

there is a hazard in everything and you have control over most of - the ones you mention here. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

The worst - occupational hazard

[ In Reply To ..]
is the psychological damage. I may never recover from the PTSD caused by years of anxiety and abuse.

Please don't. - Seriously

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, doing transcription now is stressful, difficult and a whole host of other things. But please don't be over dramatic. PTSD is a serious thing; not something you just throw around like that. You have the choice to leave your situation.

So - PTSD

[ In Reply To ..]
is somehow more serious than losing your sight, losing your hearing or getting carpal tunnel? Yes, everyone has a choice to leave any toxic job, so why don't they?
Short answer, YES - I have carpal tunnel
[ In Reply To ..]
from working a job I got paid to do. My family member has PTSD from watching a little girl burn in a house fire and being unable to save her. On bad days, my wrist hurts. On his bad days he is unable to leave the house, for fear he will break down. He wakes at night screaming, covered in sweat. He gets to relive the moment over and over. I can get PT and surgery if needed. We have found very little to help him.

So yes, you can get a hearing aid, glasses or a wrist splint, although I've never heard of anyone going blind or deaf from MT. A lot of that occurs with normal aging.
also, turn down the volume, get better earphones, adjust the brightness, - take breaks and adjust your posture. POOF
[ In Reply To ..]
no carpal tunnel, no tinnitus, no eye strain, no back pain, etc....

Has anyone done THEIR part to prevent these things, or is it poo, poo me and who can we blame week?

bellyachers...gotta love the comedy in this.

I Agree - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you. I hate when people throw around that term. It is to be reserved for people who are thrust into situations over which they had no control being thrust into and no choice about getting out, then experience extreme abuse or combat stress.

I felt used and abused as an MT, so I got out. Granted, it's harder for some people because of a disability or living out in the boonies, but you still have a choice. Men and women in long-term combat, or children in extremely abusive situations are the only ones allowed to use PTSD, if you ask me. You're a grown woman with choices.

While the diagnosis of - PTSD

[ In Reply To ..]
might be too strong to describe what some of us experience as MTs, there can be psychological consequences of having the constant vague stress of this job... daily emails pointing out "mistakes" such as typos, wondering whether or not you will have work that day or if the work you have will net you enough to make a living, knowing that even a short break to go to the bathroom might mean you fall behind, knowing that if you lose a job even with years of experience you will have to take a test to land the same job you have done for years probably at less pay,(if you are lucky), knowing you will never get a raise or even praise for your skills and on and on, not to mention the endless sitting and social isolation etc.

Yes, a lot of us do end up with some sort of anxiety disorder, low self-esteem or whatever you care to call it, and you see it played out daily on this message board, and it can still be very debilitating even for those who finally decide enough is enough and get out, i.e. "I'm only good enough to get a job at McDonald's or Wal-Mart."

I personally went from a large MTSO to a smaller one which is not nearly as bad, but even after nearly a year I still have a constant nagging dread every time I log on to work, something I have never had with any other job.

There are various types, levels, and causes - of PTSD. I think we all have it.

[ In Reply To ..]
nmsg
No we don't - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Granted sometimes this just sucks really bad. Don't know how else I can say it just stinks. My pay is so low now I'm stressed. I get up and tell myself it's going to be a great day and by the end of the day I have a crappy line count, or difficult dictators, lots of researching, etc. But it is also my choice on staying. There are reasons that some of us "think" we have no choice, but when it boils down to the truth, we all have a choice. Granted it's tough cos the economy is so messed up right now, but we all have choices.

Working at a mental health place awhile back I learned a lot about PTSD. These people don't have choices. Granted there may be different levels of PTSD, but it's for them. Using PTSD as an excuse trying to equate ourselves as equals with the horrors that true PTSD cases there are is just wrong. Nobody is forcing anyone to stay at their job, but the difference is we all have choices. People with PTSD do not, though am sure they would all rather switch places with people who think they have PTSD because they don't like their job.

For any of us to say that because what we go through each day (which right now for me SUCKS BIG TIME!) it is PTSD, is just wrong. You all don't have PTSD, it's just...laziness (yeah, yeah I know flame me all you want for stating the obvious), we all have a choice, I just get tired of reading the victim mode of our our companies, MTSOs, supervisors or whatever our work situation is has caused PTSD. Such a copout for saying I'm don't want or am too lazy to find another job.
Oh my goodness, you are my soul sister - I agree with you so much
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for posting. People who say transcription has given them PTSD have never seen what it looks like or does to a person.
There are plenty of - people
[ In Reply To ..]
who don't think PTSD, anxiety disorder, depression, stress etc are "real" or something that someone should just get over and get on with their lives.

There are also plenty of people who survive the most hideous events imaginable and go on to be relatively stable and mentally healthy.

Just because you don't think MT stress disorder exists doesn't mean it isn't very real and debilitating for some people.
Not anywhere did I say I did not believe - transcription was stressful
[ In Reply To ..]
But the stress of doing our job is nowhere close to combat stress or the stress abused children feel.
It may not be extreme, like combat stress or - child-abuse stress. But - S/MSG
[ In Reply To ..]
it's more insidious. It's gradual and cumulative. Kinda like mercury poisoning or dermal sun-damage. Then, after years and years of it, POW!
It is more insidious??? - No it is not
[ In Reply To ..]
Your lack of compassion for others astounds me. You have the ability to remove yourself from the situation. An abused child does not. I'm embarrassed for you.
I can't even tell what you're reply is about. - Its just a personal attack.
[ In Reply To ..]
Try to go on disability for it - they'll blow it right into perspective. - passing through. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

definition of PTSD - per Psychology Today

[ In Reply To ..]
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder that may develop after exposure to a terrifying event or ordeal in which severe physical harm occurred or was threatened. Traumatic events that may trigger PTSD include violent personal assaults, natural or unnatural disasters, accidents, or military combat.

I do think that the CHRONIC stress of wondering what kind of work load we will have, if we will have dictators who are understandable and the fact that this finished product rests on our shoulders to interpret from junk dictation is very unhealthy. So, it's not quite as bad, but it's bad enough. We don't have to fight over it. Yes, we can leave the profession but when you are ALREADY stressed about what you know, the UNKNOWN is also stressful to contemplate. Couple that with the social regression/repression we have from isolated jobs and that spells neurosis of some sort.

We live in precarious times.

I feel shell-shocked sometimes from the stress of the job and what is going on in the world. It can be overwhelming.

That is the point - exactly...

[ In Reply To ..]
while what we have might not be as "dramatic" as PTSD, it is very real and sometimes the results can be devastating... just look at the amount people who "go postal" in other workplaces, rampaging, murdering their coworkers and supervisors, etc. Why did they choose this instead of just saying "Wow, I need a new job." ? No one really knows. Fortunately most of us handle our stress by eating or drinking too much, popping Xanax, yelling at loved ones or coming to whine and gripe on a message board.
one more point that is valid - sole provider
[ In Reply To ..]
When you are the only person to support a family in this profession, that is kind of like survival stress, just not life and death, but the threat of homelessness is very real for some of us.

I have zero backup, and I support one child. I don't know how you all do it with more mouths to feed.

Arthritis - JavaMomMT

[ In Reply To ..]
in my knees, back, neck, and shoulders.

ACHES AND PAINS - call me crazy

[ In Reply To ..]
I have tried Allegra (or your favorite sinus decongestant) to help with what I perceive to be nerve impingement and inflammation of sinuses that cause pain in neck and shoulder and arms, et cetera. Helps, I think.

I know Seldane helped, but they pulled it off the market! Caused heart condition or something.

A big ol' butt - From lack of exercise - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

fat ankles - beulah

[ In Reply To ..]
I mean swollen

Me too! I hate my swollen ankles after work! - elephantannie

[ In Reply To ..]
I've taken to wearing compression hose and I feel like I should be in a nursing home!

sensitivity to loud noises, music, TV - low threshold

[ In Reply To ..]
I sometimes even have to ask my son to lower his voice when he is talking to me.

I many times jump out of my skin at a car backfiring.

True that! Sound-sensitivity has turned me into - the downstairs neighbor from h***.

[ In Reply To ..]
Turn that TV up 1 dB too loud, or buy a set of wind chimes, and I'll be pounding on their front door within minutes.

It always seems to hit my digestive system - the worst...ulcers, etc

[ In Reply To ..]
May not sound dramatic, but guess it can slowly kill you. Just had a dictator who yawned through her dictation - had to retype most of the VR dictation, what I could make of it. Have a burning in my stomach now.. time for more Pepto. :p Seriously, have had a couple operations already for GI problems. :p

I have some hearing loss - going deef

[ In Reply To ..]
I have problems with chronic dizziness. I had to have a hearing test as part of the workup, and I have some hearing loss in the mid ranges in both ears, left being the worst. My ENT said he wasn't a bit surprised with what I do for a living and the earphones that I have hearing issues developing. He said he would be more surprised if I didn't. Plus my vision is considerably worsened after staring at the computer so much and eyes are drier, too.

constant ear ringing and buzzing - bzzzzz

[ In Reply To ..]
x
I've got that, too. And it doesn't help that - I often have to turn the sound - sM
[ In Reply To ..]
up to uncomfortable levels to hear a whispering dictator while excess noise is going on the background, or other similar problems.

Then, of course, you know what comes next: The dictator suddenly coughs loudly!
or their cell phone goes off or some other God awful something - bzzzzz
[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Similar Messages:

Carpal Tunnel
Jan 21, 2010

I'm rapidly developing carpal tunnel.  I wonder if I can get MQ to give me some time off without having to take LOA to give my wrists a break?  Has anybody else had issues like this and how did accomodative was MQ?  ...

Carpal Tunnel Gloves?
Feb 19, 2010

I am starting to have a lot of difficulty with my hands after 24 years of transcribing.  I wake up all night long with pain and tingling in my fingers.  I am pretty sure I have carpal tunnel.  Does anybody wear gloves while they are working to help with carpal tunnel?  If so, what kind and where do you get them?  TIA ...

I'm Having Carpal Tunnel Surgery
Apr 24, 2010

Has any MT out there had carpal tunnel surgery?  I'm having surgery on my right hand on Wednesday.   Just curious if others have had it done and if they are happy with the results.  ...

Carpal Tunnel Decompression
Jan 12, 2011

I can't figure out what the (___) would be.  It s/l it could be (loss and) but I was thinking it was going to be a specific type of compression.  It also could s/l (___ anti-) compression?  It almost s/l moss anti-compression!! "The nerve itself was atrophic and contracted and constricted consistent with (___) compression." Thanks.  ...

Carpal Tunnel Release Help!
Apr 12, 2011

Im stuck on a carpal tunnel release surgery, something about "this included the s/l  hook and hammet, distal extent of the transverse..... ...

Carpal Tunnel Surgery
Jan 19, 2012

The surgeon is saying on carpal tunnel OP report:  A s/l "sin" was placed, and there was direct visualization of the release back to 2-cm proximal to the distal palmar crease.  I would appreciate any help for the "sin" word.  Cannot find it anywhere and don't know if it is jargon or an acronym, device, or what.  Thanks. ...

Gloves For Carpal Tunnel
Apr 15, 2012

Fourth time I've tried to send this post. Apparently it only works in text mode - not rich text mode. I'm trying to identify the fingerless gloves that have 2 wrist pads to protect the median nerve. Does anyone know the name of these gloves??? Thanks! ...

Carpal Tunnel Release
Sep 12, 2013

A left carpal tunnel release that the doc used a *parathenar* incision, dissected to subQ tissues, and the flexor *inacar* was identified proximally. ...

Carpal Tunnel & Ergo Keyboards
Nov 12, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has tried either the Kinesis contoured, Kinesis Freestyle, Goldtouch, or SafeType keyboards. I am using a Microsoft ergo split keyboard now, but I am having more and more pain and numb/weird feelings in my arms and hands. It's getting to the point where I am having a lot of difficulty typing. I definitely need to invest in a more high-end ergo keyboard, but they are quite expensive and I am not sure which one would be best. Just looking for any experiences and pro ...

Carpal Tunnel Release Word Help
Nov 22, 2013

I am doing a carpal tunnel release. Dictator states "Next marking was made in the safe zone 5 mm ulnar to the 'interthecal' (he spells this out as interthecal) depression in line with the 3rd web space approaching but not crossing Kaplan cardinal line and approaching but not crossing proximally the wrist crease." I cannot find anything anywhere that is spelled interthecal. "Thecal" means "relating to a sheath, especially a tendon sheath." I suppose he could be meaning "between the ...

Pretty Sure I Have Carpal Tunnel In My Left Wrist. Anyone With
Dec 11, 2012

experience on turning this in with M-Modal.  Will they pay for surgery and then fire me?  This is considered work-related, correct?  ...

The Doctor States To The Patient That Carpal Tunnel Is Not
May 26, 2015

I would like to know exactly where else you would get it from when you're doing 8 hours a day, 5 days a week full-time job for one company for the past 20+ years. No outside of work hobbies or activities to cause it according to patient. This is workers comp law, according to the doctor.   I'm unsure if it's that particular state where the patient resides, but if I were working 40 hours a week at the same job for many years and develop carpal or anything similar, you b ...

Patient Has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. *Sensory Sensoma* Testing Shows *2/3* In All Digits? Thanx. Nm
Jan 13, 2012

nm ...

Really??? "Couple Total Relief" For Carpal Tunnel Release??? NM
Aug 02, 2010

NM ...

Sx For Carpal Tunnel Release, Guyon's Canal Release, Flexor Tenosynovectomy
Mar 16, 2012

x ...

Tunnel Of ?
Aug 13, 2012

The ureter was then identified on the medial leaf of the broad ligament on the right, was placed on tension and was dissected off the medial leaf of the broad ligament starting at the pelvic brim, extending down to the tunnel of  ?   s/l  Horsheim or Vors-heim ? (Hysterectomy operation, pelvic lymph node dissection)   Thanks! ...

Tarsal Tunnel Release
Apr 23, 2010

Typing a followup for a tarsal tunnel release.  Physician says, "The scar has a mild (sounds like kelotic, chelotic, kalotic, cheilotic????), raised area throughout the incision."  Please help!   Thanks!!   ...

Ortho Right Cubital Tunnel?
Jun 22, 2012

Patient has had left trigger finger surgery x 2 and a right cubital _____ release x 1. It sounds like he is saying cunnel? Or it could be right cubital tunnel release. ...

Tunnel Hemodialysis Catheter
Sep 13, 2012

A tunnel hemodialysis catheter s/l "Vaxil" ...

A Light At The End Of The Tunnel, I Found A Good Job!
May 20, 2011

I have been looking for a month and have found a wonderful job, pays well with benefits. So don't give up new MTs! Try the local hospitals...many still have their own MTs. Don't give up! ...

Cubital Tunnel Release - S/l Toonami Scissors - Sm
Oct 05, 2013

I am doing a cubital tunnel release report and it sounds like "toonami" scissors (too-na-me). Can anyone help with this? Also, can someone post a link to a good orthopedic surgical website? TIA! Sentence: The blunt dissection was performed down to the ulnar nerve, which was easily identified, and this was unroofed with "toonami" scissors. ...

*F____* Testing For Radial Tunnel Syndrome Is Negative. Thanks.nm
Jan 13, 2012

nm ...

Sounds Like "carpal Spasm"
Feb 13, 2013

Doing neurologic section, and sounds like he is saying "carpal spasm?"  Is this correct? ...

Metatarsal "tunnel" Syndrome
Jan 04, 2010

this is the diagnosis   s/l metatarsal "tunnel" syndrome with symptomatic accessory navicular, left foot   tia. ...