A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Avoiding burnout/QA - DifferentDreams

Posted: Dec 15, 2009

I have been in transcription for over 10 years and doing QA for about 5.  I am soooo burnt out of this field.  So bored, creativity stifled, and unhappy. 

Any tips on how to make my job more interesting, joyful, and creative? :(

Feel the same way - Me too

[ In Reply To ..]
I am trying hard to keep doing this but I know I am going to have to change careers. I used to love this work but I am burned out too. What gets me through right now is listening to music and chatting with another MT and comparing lines. But I end up being so distracted all day I don't get as many lines as I need. I know I am a good MT with good skills, but just burned out :(

Burnout - Patti

[ In Reply To ..]
DD:

I've been a transcriptionist for 27 years...and burnout has been something I've dealt with quite frequently. I'm still here. I can share what I've done over the years to stave off burnout.

I've worked full time as a transcriptionist most of those 27 years. When I feel burnout coming on, and am ready to hang it up, I cut back to part-time transcription hours, and then find another part-time job doing something completely different. I want to keep my MT skills fresh, so I don't leave this field completely, but I need a change of pace.

So far the other careers I've tried...waitressing, school bus driver, and travel agent. I did go back to school to get my travel certificate 5 years ago, and am working part-time as a travel agent until I can retire from transcription (hopefully soon).

I don't know if this will help, but this is what has worked for me.

Patti

Over 30 years here... going through it again - Allysgrandma

[ In Reply To ..]
and have decided to look at my job as a way to earn money and life and creativity come in the evenings when I can quilt, knit and organize my photos, make things for my granddaughter. The part-time job idea I like though and if it was not for great medical benefits, I would consider that.

Similar Messages:

Anybody Else Avoiding 6.1 Upgrade?
Oct 05, 2010

don't come here much..but have the bugs been worked out yet.  The horror stories, the slow downs...just trying to avoid it as long as I can.  Still have not upgraded. CCM said to wait until I have no choice.  Anybody else? ...

Avoiding Ageism
May 11, 2014

Can you avoid ageism by changing your DOB on job applications? I need to change jobs and do not want my age getting in the way of getting a new job. TIA! ...

Burnout!!!
May 03, 2012

Okay, I have been having a total burnout this week and don't know where to turn. After doing MT work for 15 years with the last couple of years being forced to do VR with awful docs and the reports being such a mess that I could do them faster starting from scratch, I just want to be done! They are getting so bad that the other day I made about $4.00 to $6.00 an hour and worked about a 12-hour day just to make what I need to make on a daily basis so we can make ends meet.   I' ...

Burnout From MT... What To Do?
Apr 17, 2015

Hello everyone.  I feel strongly that I am suffering from burnout.  The problem is I cannot get out of MT just yet.  Do you have any suggestions on how to cope?  Yes, I am aware the best way to cope is to leave MT all together, but as I stated I cannot leave just yet.  Any advice is welcome!  Thank you so much!   ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Anyone Ever Experience Burnout?
Jun 05, 2013

Please, no snarky comments.  I know I'm blessed to have a good job and be able to work from home.  But I'm burnt out.  Fried.  Crispy.  This has been going on for about six months.  Anyone else brought themselves out of this? ...

Long Time MT With Burnout And Cabin Fever!
Dec 16, 2009

I've been an MT for 15 years and work full time, 40 hours a week.  Lately, I have been SO restless and bored to death with my job!  I'm married and have no kids--when my husband gets home from work, he is glad to be here; meanwhile, by mid week, I'm about to go stark raving mad due to being at home so much!  Now I'm not new at this, as I said.  I have also been in QA, which I enjoyed much more, but the pay was so dire that I went back to transcribing. ...