A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Burnout from MT... What to do? - anon

Posted: Apr 17, 2015

Hello everyone.  I feel strongly that I am suffering from burnout.  The problem is I cannot get out of MT just yet.  Do you have any suggestions on how to cope?  Yes, I am aware the best way to cope is to leave MT all together, but as I stated I cannot leave just yet.  Any advice is welcome!  Thank you so much!  

Burnout - What to do

[ In Reply To ..]
Take a vacation.

Thanks but - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
That is not an option either. I am an IC and they limit the days I can have off in a year. Also, I cannot afford to not work. That is a conundrum, I know.

Get out of the house - MTHead

[ In Reply To ..]
Go for a walk or a drive, pack a lunch and go on a picnic. It helps to get away for a little while. Call a friend or family member you haven't talked to lately. A change in routine might help get your mind off work. I've been an MT for a long time and burnout goes in cycles for me. Hang in there!

Here's what I do - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I go to a movie, a matinee so the tickets are cheaper and take my own popcorn and snacks. Sometimes just getting away for a couple hours is all it takes to get my head back on straight and feel more positive. I feel for you. It sounds like you and I have a similar situation. Want out, but cannot make my exit just yet. I hope you find something to get you over the hump.

This is going to sound silly, - but...

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't stand working 8 hours a day at this job. I found a bunch of little things I can do between reports that help me keep my sanity. I'll type some reports, do something, and get back to typing some more, and so on. Just some things that only take a minute or so.

I peel an orange.
I clean the litter box.
I brush my teeth.
I go downstairs and back up.
I spray air freshener (helps keep me awake).
I eat the orange.
Check the classifieds for a new job.
I eat some mints (they make me sneeze like crazy).
Get hangers out of my closet for laundry.

I feel for you! I'm the same way.

I'm not sure if you are serious or not, - but....

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I love you.

It gets so stressful sometimes trying to solve it "all" during burnout, contemplating staying or making a change, when you might just need to find things to get you through each day until the burnout goes away.

I love this post so much.

Me:

Open and chew some gum.
Check the mail.
Light a candle.
Wipe down the kitchen sink.
Pour a glass of ice water.
Put on lotion.
Walk outside, walk back in.
Pop in a mint.

Sometimes in life, it's all about the "little things."

Could you take a class? - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
Learning something new and different, either academic or otherwise, might help.

Looking into coding. - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks!

Best wishes for success! - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
good luck! When I decided to make the move and transition out of MT, I felt so much better and I came to appreciate the knowledge I gained from this profession, plus my focus was amazing compared to some of my younger classmates' focus. I think I have MT to thank for that.

But for now doing a course on coursera.org. - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the suggestion!

Looking into coding - What to do

[ In Reply To ..]
A coding program will not help with burnout, especially if you plan to continue to work while you are in school. It's intense and you will have deadlines to meet. To relieve burnout, I would suggest doing something fun.
I started training in a coding career and immediately lost the MT stress - Knowing I am Out of MT
[ In Reply To ..]
All that stress from the politics and such of MT was a killer, until I switched my mindset to medical coding. The pressure went away and so did the stress, because I knew I was taking action to change the situation. Everything was much more pleasant, because they didn't have me trapped. I have a way out.

Burnout - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
When I'm totally fried and ready to pull my hair out and I'm cursing and swearing at the computer ... I'll take a break and walk my dog. This does wonders for both of us. If you don't have a dog, maybe you could just get outside for a walk. Another suggestion, check the class schedule at your local community college. There may be a certificate-type program that you would enjoy. I wish you all the best.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Similar Messages:

Burnout!!!
May 03, 2012

Okay, I have been having a total burnout this week and don't know where to turn. After doing MT work for 15 years with the last couple of years being forced to do VR with awful docs and the reports being such a mess that I could do them faster starting from scratch, I just want to be done! They are getting so bad that the other day I made about $4.00 to $6.00 an hour and worked about a 12-hour day just to make what I need to make on a daily basis so we can make ends meet.   I' ...

Avoiding Burnout/QA
Dec 15, 2009

I have been in transcription for over 10 years and doing QA for about 5.  I am soooo burnt out of this field.  So bored, creativity stifled, and unhappy.  Any tips on how to make my job more interesting, joyful, and creative? :(   ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Anyone Ever Experience Burnout?
Jun 05, 2013

Please, no snarky comments.  I know I'm blessed to have a good job and be able to work from home.  But I'm burnt out.  Fried.  Crispy.  This has been going on for about six months.  Anyone else brought themselves out of this? ...

Long Time MT With Burnout And Cabin Fever!
Dec 16, 2009

I've been an MT for 15 years and work full time, 40 hours a week.  Lately, I have been SO restless and bored to death with my job!  I'm married and have no kids--when my husband gets home from work, he is glad to be here; meanwhile, by mid week, I'm about to go stark raving mad due to being at home so much!  Now I'm not new at this, as I said.  I have also been in QA, which I enjoyed much more, but the pay was so dire that I went back to transcribing. ...