A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

All-in-one computer versus laptop - mt3

Posted: Sep 27, 2011

I am looking to get a new computer and having trouble deciding if I should get an all-in-one computer (I love the idea of not having a tower any more) or a laptop.  I was not sure if a laptop could handle being on 12-14 hours plus a day without burning it up.  Any input would be appreciated because I am sure there are pros and cons of both that I have yet to think of and this is such a big purchase I don't want to have buyer's remorse later on.

Thanks in advance!

Laptop on all day - One who knows

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't actually use the laptop for transcription, but it is powered up and running 24/7 for other reasons. When I'm not actually using it (on my lap) I actually have it sitting on top of 4 upside-down ceramic cups so that air can get underneath it. I've had it running for literally months at a time that way, with no apparent ill effects.

When I next replace my desktop system, I am going to replace it with a laptop, but will continue to use an external USB keyboard which will be more appropriate for transcription. That way, I will be able to set the new machine on top of something so air can circulate underneath and keep it cooler.

I am not sure about the all-in-one computers - although I think they are

[ In Reply To ..]
very tidy, which I like. I have a 10-year-old Dell laptop which has been on pretty much 10 to 12 hours a day since I got it, and only recently has it started acting funny (still comes on but won't connect to the internet).

One thing to check before you upgrade, make sure the platform you use is compatible with a new computer. I am still having to use that antique Dell and another 10-year-old desk top to work on DocQscribe because the computer I bought a couple of months ago won't work with it.

Sites - Cheesey

[ In Reply To ..]
Tigerdirect.com and Newegg.com usually have some good deals.

I believe tigerdirect had a good deal on some laptops for around 200 bucks.

Depends on what you do with your computer though. I do a lot of editing photos/videos...you get way more bang for your buck on desktops as opposed to laptops. Laptops you're paying more for the compact size as opposed to performance. But if you're only using it for work, and nothing else, then a cheap laptop might work just fine.

I have used both - I like both

[ In Reply To ..]
My primary work computer is a Sony Vaio all-in-one that I bought about 2 years ago. It came with Vista as the OS, which has been fine with me because the platform I use is not dependent on my operating system. I have really, really enjoyed the large screen. I had to buy a USB extension so I can plug in all my stuff because it is limited (like a laptop) on the number of USBs that are available. I have multiple foot pedals, thumb drives, etc., that I need to plug in.

Unfortunately my Sony's hard drive died a few weeks ago and I had to replace it. While at the shop, I took in a licensed copy I had of XP and asked them to install that instead of re-installing Vista or upgrading to Wins 7. I can now install and run Word 2003 and older programs that I could not get installed on the laptop that I used temporarily while my Sony was in the shop. The laptop had Wins 7. I did love the laptop while I used it and there was no problem keeping it cool while I worked. It was on my wooden desk that has a pull-out keyboard tray underneath. When I walked away from the laptop, I closed the lid, no problems. I'm glad I had my USB extension because like the all-in-one, I had too much to plug in for the number of available USBs. I continued to use my ergo keyboard with the laptop and I used a regular mouse instead of the one built in. I missed my large screen with the laptop.

I loved the flexibility of the laptop, though, and have decided that within this next year I will buy a reburbished laptop and install XP on it to use as a backup and also to help me stay mobile.

I think it's a toss up about which I like best, so it would be your personal preference about which one to chose. Go to a computer store, though, to see if you can price laptops with the operating system you want. My shop had several reburbished ones for between $240 and $270.

my laptop experience - destinyisntfree

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been working exclusively on a laptop since June, and there is no turning back now. I am too used to the flexibility with the laptop and being able to work from anywhere. My kids love the fact that now, mom can take them to the park, and I can still work on my files that do not require internet while still supervising and taking breaks to play with them, etc. We can visit friends, go on vacations, and I can still work. I never had that flexibility before.

The other key point for me was the mobility in that I have severe spinal arthritis, and have yet to find an office chair that is accommodating for that, and often will now work my my couch, as it is much more comfortable.

I work upwards of 12-14 hours a day some days, by choice, and the laptop is almost never shut off. I think I have shut it done maybe a handful of times since I got it in June, and have had no problems.

I got the laptop on a fluke. My computer crashed in the middle of my shift, and I needed something that day, but had almost no money to work with (less than a $50 bank balance). I called a rent to own place that I have had a business relationship with for over ten years, and they had me out the door that day with nothing out of pocket for the first two weeks. I asked for the cheapest computer they had, and that actually ended up being a brand new Toshiba Win 7 laptop, which was workable for my job as I am on EditScript. I was good to go.

thanks everyone for all the input - mt3

[ In Reply To ..]
the laptop seems to be taking the lead :)

Similar Messages:

All-in-one Computer Versus Laptop For Transcription Opinions
Jan 07, 2012

I am curious which would be best for transcription, all-in-one or laptop with larger monitor.  It just seems to me that with an all-in-one you would have less mess on your desk than with a laptop hooked to a larger monitor (I'm ancient so I need a large monitor to be able to see), so I'm leaning towards buying an all-in-one computer rather than the laptop, but have not made my mind up completely yet.  Do any of my other transcription buddies have an opinion on one or the ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Desktop Versus Laptop
May 16, 2010

My question is desktop or laptop?  I see advantages both ways.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA! ...

Laptop Versus Desktop?
Jun 16, 2010

I was wondering how many transcriptionists have started using a laptop instead of a true desktop for work?  And by using a laptop, what I mean is hooking up a true mouse and keyboard.  I am debating this and need to make a decision soon... Thanks! ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

New HP Laptop
Dec 31, 2009

Okay, I should have checked all this out before I bought a new computer, I know.  But I didn't and now I am paying for it. My company's software is not compatible with Windows 7 and that's what my new computer installed on it.  I have learned that I can take it to a local repair store and have the XP installed on it and the Word 2003, but then I found out from my employer's IT guy that a 64-bit computer is also not compatible.  Geesh!  Anything else I sho ...

Laptop Help
Jul 28, 2011

After being driven out of my house to a motel for 5 days last week due to the heat (94 degrees even with a small a/c, I think the time is here to get a laptop.  I discovered the motel does have internet access.  It's supposed to be 100 tomorrow. I need suggestions in choosing.  Since I have to have Windows XP, I'm limited to getting a refurb online.  There are lots out there, but mostly Dells, with widely varying models and prices.  I know I want something wit ...

Laptop MT?
Oct 31, 2011

I am sure I could use a laptop just as well as I could use a desktop.  I would like to travel more before things start getting really bad in America.  Plus I would like to visit family more often.  I was wondering if anyone out there works off of a laptop and how they liked it.  I was thinking I would get an external mouse and connect my keyboard so I can make production better.  Any ideas or suggestions?  I have to buy a new computer and I am debating whether I cou ...

Anyone Use A Laptop With A 10-key Pad?
Feb 07, 2012

My Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop died today so I need a replacement ASAP.  I'm writing this on my son's Toshiba Satellite, which has a 10-key pad that my Dell does not.  Is anyone using a laptop w/a 10-key pad?  Would you recommend it?  Thanks in advance. ...

Using Laptop
Sep 29, 2012

I know this is a dumb question, but can mmodal employees use a laptop instead of a regular puter? ...

Does Anyone Use A Laptop For Their Job?
Jan 29, 2013

Just wondering if anyone uses a laptop to do their transcription, or if most people just use a desk top computer. ...

Laptop?
Apr 17, 2013

Duh. ...

What Laptop Do You Use?
Aug 21, 2013

I am thinking of leaving the comfort of my PC and switching to a laptop so I can do a little traveling.  Any tips or suggestions on specs? ...

Need A New Laptop
Oct 04, 2014

Hi, I am looking for recommendations on a  laptop.  It will be a gift (not from my husband) but from a relative.  I would like one with word processing but I am happy to download open office.  I will mainly use the laptop for internet and I would like to get a wireless printer at some time.  I know there is a Google type of laptop where nothing is actually stored.  Some folks say it is better to get a regular laptop.  I wouldn't be opposed to getting a re ...

Laptop
Feb 14, 2015

Does anybody transcribe from a laptop?  Thinking about trying that.     ...

Laptop For Transcription?
Oct 23, 2009

Can you use a laptop to do medical transcription if a different keyboard can be attached?  Just wondering. ...

Footpedal Is Able To Be Used With A Laptop?
Oct 24, 2009

Does anyone know if a footpedal is able to be used with a laptop? Thanks. ...

Laptop Question
Nov 12, 2009

If I want to travel with my lap top around the holidays to get some work in, do I need an air card in order to have a secure internet connection?  TIA. ...

Laptop Or Desktop
Dec 31, 2009

I am considering getting a new computer in the next few months.   Trying to decide between laptop and desktop?  Can you really make speed on the laptop keyboard?  Opinions?  TIA ...

LAPTOP FOR TRANSCRIPTION???
Mar 10, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if there are any transcriptionists out there that use a laptop for typing? I am thinking of purchasing one of these but also have a desktop.  I thought it would be great if I could work in different parts of my house when my kids are sleeping.  My desktop is in my master bedroom so therefore its very difficult to work late.  I appreciate any help/advice on this issue.  Thanks, Jenn ...

Cooling Lap Pad For Laptop...sm
May 16, 2010

Getting a new laptop and wondered what type of "cooling" pad to get.  Does anyone use one?  This is the type that sits on your lap while you type and has a fan for a cooling feature so your lap and laptop do not get too hot.  Thanks for any help on which one is best! ...

Laptop To Transcribe Anyone??
May 27, 2010

I would love to switch over to a laptop to do my daily transcription.  Would like to know if any of you fellow MT"s have been using a laptop, what brand/#, and how well does it work for you?  I have 3 kids and need to be mobile!  Thanks! ...

Laptop Or Desktop?
Nov 16, 2010

Is it better to do MT on a laptop or a desktop? ...

Purchasing New Laptop
Feb 02, 2011

Am desperately seeking direction as I new to purchase a new laptop and don't have a clue on what is the most reliable.  My husband, who was wise and always took care of these type purchases for me, passed away in October, and this is just one of a gazillion things I have to learn on my own now.  Anyway, I currently have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 98 that is about 4 years old but it is just not acting right lately.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles but reali ...

Laptop Computers
Feb 06, 2011

Just wondering if anybody who uses their own computer to do MT uses a laptop?  I've had some problems with my computer and now need to take it in for repairs again, and I was considering getting a laptop as a backup so that I would still be able to work while my desk top computer is out of service.  Any advice on what type of laptop to get?  Thanks much. ...

How Many Of You Work On A Laptop
Aug 11, 2011

I was curious how it is to work on a laptop? I have always worked on a desktop. If you work on a laptop do you get a standard keyboard and type on it or the keypad on the laptop? What other adjustments if any do you make? What is your preference, desktop or laptop computer to work on? ...

Do You Use A Dell Laptop
Dec 26, 2011

I would like to buy a new dell laptop to use to work on transcription because I have to travel across country and I need Dell brand because I have a Dell credit card that I can use to purchase it with.  Do any other MTs/QA use a dell laptop that you like and if so, which one is it.  If I can find one that another MT is using and likes, I'll order one.  Thanks ...

Need A New USB Keyboard For Laptop
Jan 30, 2012

The cheapo one I am using is really noisy and hard on my fingers.  I have to pound the keys.  I love the feel of the keyboard on my laptop but don't like using it for transcription because it doesn't have the numeric keypad on the right and for other ergonomic reasons.  I just want something quiet that I don't have to pound the heck out of.  Would appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks! ...