A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

5-Year Plan - Meh

Posted: Nov 10, 2013

Everyone who is an MT now should make a 5-year plan to be out of this field for good within 5 years. That will show them we're not gonig to take this anymore. Shove it in their faces. I got into this field only last year, graduated from MTEC. It's fine for now, but not for long. I now plan to leave it for good in 5 years.

I've been an MT for over 25 yrs. I think a backup plan - MT57

[ In Reply To ..]
is a good idea. I technically can retire in 5 years (unless they change the age) so I've been thinking about that.

5-year plan - Also getting out

[ In Reply To ..]
If you would not mind sharing, what is your 5-year plan besides saying that you are "leaving for good." Leaving shows them nothing, they don't care, they'll just find someone else to do the work for less money than they pay you. People leave jobs every day, move on and don't look back, I don't know why there needs to be so much fanfare when someone decides to quit their MT job.

Agree - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
People have been talking about a mass exodus for about 10 years now. Not sure why people even go into this field anymore.

I would have a 1-year plan. Not for the reason that there will no longer be MT, but how much longer can you take it? I guess someone who's only been doing it for 1 year, simply hasn't felt the impact of year after year after year.

I left the end of 2012. I started my non-MT search in the middle of 2011.

If one is stressed, start now for your escape. If a new career involves 4 years or more of schooling, I would have a back-up in-between plan. If something comes up NOW, grab it, then continue on with whatever your new school/career plan is.

It's only get more stressful and worse and worse with the new healthcare plan---hospitals and clinics will be cutting back even more.

Several Irons In the Fire - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
I am researching/writing a book I plan to sell on Amazon.com with their self-publishing CreateSpace. I also plan to get into eBay. For now, however, being an MT is my main source of income and will be for a couple of more years, unless something surprisingly happens, such as with the book. I want to get into writing more, maybe writing material for websites, something lucrative, but I need to look into that more.
whats your book about? - mtr
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
after being - attacked on here
[ In Reply To ..]
just for simply having writing aspirations, why should she tell you? She would just be attacked more if she does. This whole thread was outrageous. I definitely feel sorry for her!
Thank You - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
You're in the minority on this forum in terms of your response to me. About 90% of the people here attack me, and I don't see why. Those that have attacked me don't even see that they're attacking me. Then they must not be self-aware. I don't necessarily expect people to agree with me, but I think you're one of the few people who actually see it for what it really is, that I'm attacked simply for having writing aspirations. I don't get it.
What I have learned - about posting on this forum
[ In Reply To ..]
is that when people start attacking you, it may start with just one who criticizes and then once that happens, a whole bunch more follow suit, like a "pack." I have learned that once that starts, it is best not to respond to their posts in "defense" of yourself. Just stop posting anything at all, period. They will eventually stop when there is no more fuel added to the fire. They burn themselves out. I know it is hard not to speak up for yourself, but if you do not like being attacked, then just stop posting at all. It's the only thing that works. I do not know why they have to be so critical and try to find something to embarrass you, it's just the nature of the beast, I guess, as unfortunate as that may be. Good luck to you in your adventures. I wish you all the best!
Right - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
You see things clearly and are open-minded. I'm not angry at them at all or anything. I think part of me just gets pleasure from pointing out that what they're saying is "wrong" or unreasonable. I really should leave this forum though. There seems to be so much negativity overall, perhaps because people are so disgruntled with their MT job these days. I don't think I'd get this kind of response overall in other forums, and a couple of people I email to certainly don't respond that way. There is nothing more for me to say here, though, and I'm getting repetitive. I want to stay anonymous here. Thanks for being nice.
Of course you don't get it - 1234
[ In Reply To ..]
Everybody is out of step but you.
Thanks For Asking - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
However, I want to remain anonymous on this forum and don't want my future book to be associated with the "troubled" image I've already put out here. I never meant to reveal that much, but I only said that I was on SSI during my whole early life and have severe social phobia because I was responding to someone who posted that she doesn't understand why people even train and go into the MT field these days. My book is nonfiction, and it's for children ages 8 to 12, and I'm going to use Amazon's CreateSpace to self-publish it.

Their Quality Will Go Down - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
They can't find someone else to do the work for less money than they pay me or other U.S. MTs because that would be going lower than minimum wage, and it's against the law. They will have to give all their jobs to overseas, and I heard the quality of the work they get is not quality, so if the MTSO companies' quality goes down, they will go down with it, as they deserve.

Quality is already down - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Quality WILL go down? It already is down, and that hasn't mattered a hoot to most companies. All that happens is, they have U.S. MTs fix the mess when possible. Trust me, I've been in this business since 1999 and have seen the mess happen. You are coming in very new here. This offshore mess is nothing new at all. It started way long ago. Maybe not 1999 (at least it wasn't obvious to U.S. MTs then), but for sure by 2004 they were in full swing with the offshoring.

I would not wait for a book deal as your in-between plan. I also wouldn't expect "lucrative." Making a living wage is probably more realistic.

Best of luck to you.
I guess I see her book plan differently - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
There are many successful writers in the world. Who knows, maybe she will be like the woman who wrote Harry Potter? I would not dismiss her ideas; I encourage her and hope she is a big success!
Agree - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
You make sense to me. However, I don't expect to be as successful as Harry Potter books. I see it just like any other "occupation." As long as I apply myself at it like any other occupation, then I expect to be reasonably successful at it. I don't understand why some of the other posters are being so narrow-minded.
One of my friends from high school is a successful author - In-House Lead
[ In Reply To ..]
in the Young Adult genre. At one point, she had 2 books in the Top 20 of that genre!

Two others in my graduating class have published fiction books.

Go for it, woman! Really, what do you have to lose?
What Are The Titles - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
of your friend's books? I like to go to Amazon.com to browse and look at the preview pages. Thanks for your nice remarks.
Not dismissing - Just...
[ In Reply To ..]
...stating that to depend on a killing writing a book is probably not a good plan. I never said she should give up the dream, or even put it on a back burner. I'm saying that she should not use that as her plan A contingency plan when she can no longer be an MT.

It should be considered something to work on, but her main energy should go to something more guaranteed.

I know, I know--there are no guarantees in life. But we take the best chances we can.
Misunderstood - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
I have read all the responses, and I've found that most misunderstand what I've said, which I don't understand why, since I think I'm articulate and generally express myself clearly. But some people seem to be reading into what I say things that I never actually said. I never said that I was depending on a killing from writing a book. If you were to read through all my messages again (and who has time for that, right?), you would see that I said nothing of that sort. Rather, I said I have several things on the burner and possible sources of income (though I don't know exactly how much): 1) Continue with MT for just a few more years; 2) Writing books, 3) Selling stuff (my own junk and getting stuff from thrift stores) on eBay. And by the time I give up MT in, say 3 years (I've reduced it from 5 years), I may also have a "real job" as a copywriter or maybe not. I could just get a job at McDonald's and make the same amount of money as I'm making now as an MT. The "real job" is for the guaranteed income. And eBay and writing books would be 2 additional sources of income.
Meh - Wicks
[ In Reply To ..]
And we should care all about your detailed plans because.....?
In Addition - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
So the "real job" (guaranteed income) would be to make a living whereas writing books would be to make my life worth living. P.S. This is my last message on MTStars forum, since I find it is becoming addictive and I'm spending too much time the last few days, and it would be more suitable in terms of my aims to use the eBay forum and a writing forum instead.
Your last post - LJ
[ In Reply To ..]
Patiti-patata.
I Get A Kick - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
out of arguing. That's apparently why I'm still here. I find 90% of you unreasonably attack me or else don't really understand what I'm saying or where I'm coming from. Okay, I've been talking a lot about myself on this board maybe, but I am an artist--la-di-da--and being an artist means I like to be understand and to express myself.
Meh - Just asking
[ In Reply To ..]
An "artist" or a "narcissist." You decide.

To Meh - Also getting out

[ In Reply To ..]
If they use overseas labor, they will be paying someone less than you to do the work, will they not? This is already happening and if you leave that is where your job will go too. You won't be missed and your employer won't bat an eyelid. I read your posts on the Nuance board and truthfully I am confused. Over there, you talk about how much you love VR editing, the only problem for you is the pay. With one year of experience, I would guess that you still have a lot to learn. I don't know how to break this too you, but the quality of the work is already down the tubes. I've done this for over 30 years and now work in QA. My observation is that people don't care about quality they way they used to until someone sues them. With regard to minimum wage, some of the MTSOs have been sued because they didn't pay their employees minimum wage. If they can get away with it, they will. If you think your leaving is going to bring down your MTSO, I would advise you to wake up and smell the coffee.
What's The Matter - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
With what I said? Maybe it's not going to make any difference to them if all U.S. MTs left their job, but I was just making a point. I didn't say I LOVE SR editing, only that it's not bad. Love is surely a hyperbole, and I never used that word. I said I like EditScript platform and the features make it easier to get faster at SR editing. I said the only problem is the pay. So what's the matter with that? And what dos have only 1 year of experience have anything to do with anything in terms of me liking EditScript and not liking the pay? If everything were the same and MTSOs paid, say 10 cents/line for SR editing and 20 cents/line for regular transcription, I bet very few people would be complaining, including myself. So I'm probably right when I say the work and the platform is fine, just the pay sucks. I don't understand what's erroneous with what I said and why my mere 1 year of experience explains that I don't know what I'm saying
My Take - On What Poster Meant
[ In Reply To ..]
I think the poster meant that the quality is already down, and that the fact that you think it is yet to go down, is just showing your inexperience in the field. We wrote notes like yours in 2003. We said "eventually, the MTSOs will realize they can't keep losing good people." Well, that was 10 years ago, and a good chunk of the good ones have left. (Including myself.)

You didn't do anything wrong. I am curious, though. Are you editing acute care, or clinic? I have edited mostly acute care and it's horrendous. The very few clinic reports I've done, weren't so bad.

I'm sorry about your social anxiety. There are jobs from home that pay not-so-bad, but waiting for a break in a novel is probably not a good way to spend most of your energy in terms of having an income.

Best of luck to you. I would put most of your energy getting out of the field now, and use the novel as a hobby and a "maybe." I would not wait for a lucrative book deal.
It Is Not A Book Deal - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
Nowadays anyone can get published. I'm not waiting for a "break", and for that matter, it's not a novel. It's iffy how much money I'll make out of the book, which is why I'm staying with MT and trying eBay. (Writing doesn't have to be a hobby, by the way. But it is a "maybe" in terms of how much money, but that depends on how much energy and time I put into it.) So if I get out of the MT field now, what are the jobs from home that pay not-so-bad, as you say?
Just About Everything - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
Clinic notes are the easiest, and they put me on that only in the very beginning. Now I get everything from clinic notes to discharge summaries to operative reports to procedure notes to behavioral health outpatient notes and I've even had a couple of pulmonary function tests and EKG reports and even 2 death summmaries. I think that just about covers everything, which includes acute care. I like behavioral health outpatient notes the best because I find the psychological aspects interesting, but sometimes the other reports also have psychological aspects with the patient that I find most interesting.
about everything - katrina
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you on the behavioral health notes. I sure miss those. I lost a job the end of last year where I did a lot of psych work and I have never been able to get any more. Now I'm stuck on a bunch of ENT and x-rays and a little neurology.
What Do I Have To Learn? - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
You do, of course, have a lot more experience than me, but I don't understand why my remaks trigger than I have a lot to learn. You say that after saying that I love SR editing, which I actually didn't say. I said SR editing is fine, no problem with it, unlike apparently some MTs who complain and wish it were all regular transcription with double the pay. So what is there to learn? Is it a fact that SR editing sucks? I think it depends. Some people may prefer it. I don't even find the job to be stressful, except for the unsatisfactory pay. Training at MTEC was actually harder than the job, which turned out surprising to me. But what do I have to learn--that SR editing sucks. That's a matter of opinion, I think. To me, only the pay sucks.
You have a lot to learn - Also getting out
[ In Reply To ..]
..in terms of what you know compared to veteran MTs who have transcribed acute care, radiology, pathology, worked for teaching hospitals, and have transcribed all the specialty and subspecialty areas. My first job was on site in an acute care setting. I went through a transcription program too, and at one year of employment I was still very much a newbie. In transcription, I usually learned something new every day. I know that MTEC offered great training, but your knowledge base compared to someone who has been an MT forever would be lacking, simply because the more you are exposed to in the workplace, the more you know. Also, the level of skill involved transcribing/editing surgical reports is different than the skill required for clinic notes. Even radiology has its own vocabulary. That is what I meant when I said you had a lot to learn. Also, thinking that you will be missed when you leave and that they can't get anyone to work for less indicates a certain lack of knowledge in regard to what is currently happening with MT. Much of the work has already gone overseas, which has driven wages down for everyone. From experience, employers do care about quality on a certain level, but mostly about how much money they are saving by outsourcing/offshoring. I don't know if people actually think editing sucks; I think they as disappointed to find that they are not able to edit twice as fast as they transcribe but get half the pay. I've also seen some VR reports that were such a mess that it would have been easier to start over and transcribe them from scratch. I do think you are smart to know when to get out, however. Many of us made this their lifelong occupation, basically because we loved MT, and consider it too late in life to change careers. You never experienced the days when we were really paid well (minimum wage is not considered being paid well), so might not understand why this is so upsetting for people.
More Than Clinic Notes - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't assume. I have transcribed clinic notes, but also letters, consultations, discharge summaries, operative reports, pulmonary function test reports, behavioral health reports, and even an EKG. I haven't gotten any pathology or radiology reports yet, however. FYI, it is easy to edit twice as fast as transcribe from scratch. That's why I like the EditScript platform. Get off your high horse and stop assuming that I'm dense just because I'm a newbie.
One EKG? - Also gettng out
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, I'm impressed.
Why the Attitude? - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
You assumed I only did clinic notes, so I said I regularly do discharge summaries, consultations, letters, and operative reports as well. So you have more experience in this. Do you want a medal?
Attitude - Also getting out
[ In Reply To ..]
Because your attitude is that because you have transcribed, one EKG, a couple of pulmonary function reports and some hospital reports that you know everything that there is to know. You won't get radiology, ever, because it is a separate specialty and employs its own MTs, as does pathology. I assumed you only did clinic notes because on the Nuance board you said that is what you were hired to do; you did not even know what acute care was until someone told you. Letters don't mean a lot in the general scheme of things. I have a right to "be on a high horse." I was probably an MT before you were born and I have done just about everything MT related. Now, I QA work from newbies like you and it is not pretty. I'm not the one bragging about how fast I can edit or transcribe, how superior I am because I went to MTEc, etc., etc. I still don't think that I know it all, I learn something new every day. Yes, I do want a medal.
Why the attitude - BTDT
[ In Reply To ..]
Meh, sarcasm truly does not become you.
My issue with your posts is you continually saying that it's EASY TO EDIT TWICE AS FAST. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]

We're all now acquainted with the fact that you have only one year's experience, but many are probably not aware of the fact that you straight transcribe only 80 lph, so going TWICE AS FAST for you with editing is quite a different matter than it is for most experienced MTs, who generally average at least 200 lph straight transcribing.  That would require a speed of at least 400 lph editing VR to equal our straight transcription pay, and that's just not happening for the vast majority of us.

I would suggest that you append a disclaimer every time you make your claim of doubling speed with VR editing being "easy," since it's based on a very un-average situation in your case and thus very misleading.  And your saying that also basically implicitly excuses paying half the straight transcribing rate for VR since it's so "EASY TO EDIT TWICE AS FAST." (emphasis mine)  

I also work in EditScript (though not with Nuance anymore), so I do know whereof I speak with that platform, which does happen to be one of the best VR platforms, so I can only imagine how much more difficult it is to deal with halved pay on other VR systems.

Meh... - listen carefully
[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, you need to learn to spend more time typing and editing and less time posting. If you did that, you might be able to improve your miserable line rate and your paycheck and then you wouldn't have ANYTHING to complain about, would you? Your positive attitude is a good thing for someone starting out. There are a lot of great Facebook pages for MTs, and many of them promote optimism. Why don't you try some of those?

more like a 2 year plan. Don't dawdle - Dragon EHR is on the move

[ In Reply To ..]
seriously. get out ASAP

I Dawdle - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been dawdling. I think it's because I have a history of unemployment from living off disability SSI, which is why I chose being an MT, since I'm good at grammar, typing, spelling, like words, and such. Thought I'd be making about $12/hour because that's what the labor website said, but the information was for several years ago (don't know why they don't update it). With MT, I felt I could get a job easier, since I suffer from social anxiety and wouldn't be good at selling myself. With a "real job" (even something as denigrating as being an MT), I am developing self-discipline. Having a disabled history was no fault of mine. I have personal talents (every has their own) and lift myself up from my very own bootstraps. Why I post about it here? To express myself and share, that is all.

Use My Training - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
I want to use my training as an MT for a couple of more years and then get a little training in writing stuff that is more lucrative. Maybe copywriting if the market isn't oversaturated.

Agree, no more than 2 years - A year, if youcan

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to move on this NOW. Not tomorrow, now. If there are any jobs left in MT they will be few and far between. You should not count on having one of them.

So You Tell Me - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
How am I supposed to give up my job and earn a living if I've been previously on SSI all my life? I have a talent in writing, I believe, and I can work harder at that. But I need a solid income. I can stop dawdling and start focusing on eBay. But who is going to HIRE me unless I'm self-employed? Got to have money to live on, don't intend on ever going back on SSI.
Meh - Taxpayer
[ In Reply To ..]
You're been "previously on SSI all your life." I commend you for your intention never to go back on it!
This Was My Decision - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
The people around me had no expectations of me. They encouraged me to stay on it.

So You Think Nuance - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
will fire every MT working for them within 2 years? I just want to know what you think, since I admit I'm no expert in terms of business or labor issues.

To my observation, just a LOT of excuses - mijamigramma

[ In Reply To ..]
I have read a lot of your posts and frankly, I just see a lot of excuses. You say you have "suffered from social anxiety all your life" and as a result, you were on SSDI. Well, a LOT of people suffer from social anxiety, but they do go out and find jobs, whether it be MT or elsewhere. I was born with cerebral palsy and worked outside the home in a variety of jobs until the late 1990s, when I started working from home. I have now started the process of SSDI, because I have found out that I also have other underlying conditions, that will affect my health for whatever time I have left here on Earth.

Another thing that I observed in your post is the fact that you "recently graduated" from MTEC. Did you properly research this field before deciding to become an MT? Just an observation and my own opinion, but I believe that you chose this field because of your condition. If you were on SSDI, I am sure that you had access to vocational counseling, and any counselor worth their salt, would have discouraged you from entering into a dying field.

You talk about becoming a writer or an author or whatever -- that's like the dream I had one time of becoming a professional vocalist. I had the talent, I had the voice; however, I knew that it was an extremely hard field to break into and I needed to be able to provide for myself and my future. Writers and authors are a dime a dozen and you should be prepared for probably years of rejections.

Even with "social anxiety," you should be able to find something outside the home. With your love of writing, etc., perhaps a job at a library would be in order. You don't necessarily have to find a job outside the home with a LOT of people contact involved.

I just find some of your thinking to be very delusional and as someone who has been in this field for over 30 years, I too, am praying for a way out.

Disagree - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
Disagree with most of what you say, but no point in arguing. You really don't know me well enough. You don't know my background well enough, and there's nothing in my posts that says I'm making excuses. If you want to kill my "dream" of being a writer, that's up to you. You have any suggestions of where specifically to get a job so that I can leave MT field immediately?

And More - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
Does everyone have severe social anxiety, have no friends growing up, be put in special education school, halfway house, have no guidance and get financially enabled growing up? I did the best I could. And don't attack me because I still am aiming to be a writer. If others have talent, I wouldn't attack them for pursuing their "dream." Unless you have a job offer, there is absolutely nothing with my aims of keeping my MT job for a while, trying eBay, and writing a book. My past SSI was NOT my fault and NOT because of making excuses. And just because I'm staying with MT for awhile, that doesn't mean I'm making excuses either. By the way, are you saying I'm delusional just because I want to be a writer and write a book and think I can possibly do that even though lots of people are good writers? Or are you saying I'm delusional because I was on SSI and I could have gotten a job instead and not being able was my delusion? You sound very incompassionate.

I Have A Plan - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think it's fair also to accuse me of making excuses in the past when I was on SSI, just because you didn't go on SSI way back. Not to minimize whta you go through, but sometimes psychological problems can be even more incapacitating than physical ones, and you probably had more support than I did and knew about opportunies, which I didn't. The fact that I am now off SSI means I don't make excuses. You seem to be saying it's delusional to think that I can make money as a writer and that I'm naive to even think that I could. Your thinking is not accurate. What is your plan, by the way? My plan is to try eBay, writing, and to continue with MT for a couple of years. The only thing I agree with is one person who encourage NOT TO DAWDLE. I find what you say to be mostly gibberish.

why wait? - seriously

[ In Reply To ..]
Seems to me a 5 minute plan would be productive.

Where Should I Get A Job Then - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't make excuses. But neither should any of these posters who make it sound like it's intantly feasible to just leave. So no excuses? Where can I find work online or in person where I don't have to have good social skills, connections, or experience and pay more than MT?

What about coding? - Also getting out

[ In Reply To ..]
..or something in medical records? Many of those jobs do not require a lot of personal interaction, although you would probably need to go to the office. Coding pays well but you would need to take a course. There are abstracting/scanning/indexing jobs in medical records that don't require a lot of specialized training. What about non-medical transcription? Someone suggested working in a library. What about a proofreading job for a newspaper or magazine? I just read a story about a lady who had been a court reporter who got a job doing close captioning for a television station working at home. Start looking at the job boards on line and in your local area and start applying. No one said it was going to happen instantly, but the rest is up to you. Do you have a Skill Source in your town? You could meet with a career guidance counselor for some suggestions.
Poster from above - mijamigramma
[ In Reply To ..]
Again, all I see in this person's posts are excuses. So she has "social anxiety," well then maybe she should be in counseling for that problem and working on her issues to possibly resolve the problem. There ARE jobs outside the home that can be done with minimal social interaction -- as I suggested, a library. Maybe start out volunteering and if an opening comes up then you have your foot in the door. There are writing, proofreading and transcription jobs out there that are not medical related positions and if the OP has the qualifications she says she does, then she should have no problems with finding other types of transcription work. Right now, I am not doing MT. I am doing general transcription for a company. I have registered with Mechanical Turk, which has many jobs listed on their site. Some are transcription and some are not.

I was not trying to put the OP down either with her dreams of writing a book. However, the OP needs to really stop and consider that many budding authors do not make money for several years and that there is extremely stiff competition out there. Just like my dream of singing professionally and I do have a list of names of people that I have sung with and for, including President Regan and Vice-President Bush. However, I was a bit more realistic regarding my life, knew of the competition out there and decided to pursue other avenues. I too, grew up "having problems," but I didn't make excuses for having those problems. I became proactive and did something about it. I just get a "pity poor me" feeling when I read some of the posts from MEH
Why So Angry? - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
You sound very angry, and I don't know why. FYI, there is no competition out there to being published these days. You can publish it yourself. I never said I was going to necessarily make much money off my book, which is why I'm not giving up MT quite yet and trying eBay as well for additional income. How is that making excuses? You sound like you are disappointed that you're not still singing, and that's why perhaps you're so angry, and so you scoff at my "dream" of being a writer. So you're saying that anybody who pursues being a writer is unrealistic? LOL Recite something from my previous post/s where I say basically "pity poor me." On the contrary, it seems if I say anything positive about Nuance--such as saying I like EditScript platform or that I don't feel mistreated, only that pay is poor--I get rebuked. If I say something positive, it's not "pity poor me", is it? As for being in SSI in the past, it's simply a fact. How is it feeling sorry for myself? The reason I mention that history is to explain why I went into medical transcription, but I think I should have chosen medical coding instead. Regarding general transcription, I've looked into that (just a little) but didn't pursue it further because it seemed you make the exact same measly amount as medical transcription. Perhaps you want to refute that? Does Mechanical Turk have jobs that pay more? If not, why not stay with MT? It makes no sense to pursue general transcription if the pay is the same, does it?
We are not angry - Also getting out
[ In Reply To ..]
We are not angry but we are being realistic. Most of us need a job with a steady income that pays our bills and puts food on the table. I have writing talent too and being a published author used to be one of my dreams, but I knew the odds and knew I could never make a living doing that, the same goes with singing professionally. If you think you can find a writing job that is lucrative, as you say, by all means pursue that. Just remember that those books have to sell in order for you to see any money. I have not heard of people publishing their own books, but you apparently have researched that. I know someone who published a children's book, but she is an RN and never quit her job. Outside of neighbors, coworkers and friends I don't know how many books were sold. I used to be a concert violinist but it got in the way of my MT career (sorry, that was sarcastic). This discussion is going nowhere. We say one thing, then you come back with an argument. You asked us what other work you could do outside of MT. We made suggestions, and you shot those down. By all means, pursue your dreams (it sounds as if your mind is made up anyway), but also make sure that you have a way to make ends meet.
You Have Issues Apparently - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
I've become addicted to this forum, sorry. But I will leave it very soon. It's not the right forum for me. However, I think you're the one with the issues. First of all, I didn't even say I expected to make a living only on writing. Instead, I projected 3 sources of income. Why can't most people on this forum read instead of projecting their own issues onto what their reading? One source of income would be at present being an MT for a couple of more years only, and then maybe I'll even take a job at McDonald's, if there are jobs available, since the amount of income would be the same as what I now make as an MT. The second source of income is to sell stuff on eBay. And the third source is writing. Yes, there are lucrative jobs in writing; I don't know how feasible it is to become a copywriter or a writer of content for websites, though. Objectively, I don't think there is anything that's not realistic in terms of what I said. It seems to be your own projection or misinterpretation of what I said. I'm very down-to-earth in terms of looking at writing and see it as any other occupation to pursue. You're the one who apparently cannot see writing or singing as anything other than with stars in your eyes. I am not a naive teenager, by the way.
I don't Want To Train - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want to go back to school and train for another occupation such as coding or whatever. And I don't think it's that easy to get a job at the library either, although it might make me more credible in terms of going on freelance sites and applying for proofreading jobs once I have my book finished and self-published. In terms of the main source of income of eBay or writing doesn't make much income and I leave being an MT, I think McDonald's would be fine, since I'd make the exact same amount as I am now as an MT.
Or maybe MGM will option your novel - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
and if they do, you can buy a Bentley.
Sarcasm? - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't tell if you're being nice or being sarcastic, since I can't really hear what you're saying and there's no facial expression. Who said I necessarily expected to get rich off writing? I know I didn't say that. I have a pretty photographic memory, so as I recall, I said that in addition to working on a book, I may want o pursue writing for websites or copywriting, "something lucrative." By lucrative, I meant a real job with a real steady income, not necessarily that I'll get rich from it. But "lucrative" was probably the wrong word, since I just looked it up on Onelook.com, and it says "lucrative means "bringing in a lot of money." The truth is when the MT field dies, I may just get a job at McDonald's, since it makes the same amount of income as MT.
It's time to take some action - Just a guy walking by
[ In Reply To ..]
A professor of mine once said: "In life you have one of two things, you either have the results or you have the reasons why you don't have the results." Talk is cheap. Dreams are cheap. Dawdling is the cheapest sellout there is. Make a plan and go for it! I hope you succeed and find happiness. Perhaps seeing a career counselor would help you focus and get a solid plan going.
No More Dawdling - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
Having a "real job" has given me more of an understanding of how to structure days. I have a plan now.
And What Is Wrong With My Plan? - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, people on this forum have been attacking me, saying that I should leave MT now and why wait? Regarding closed captioning, I looked into that, and you'd have to go to school or take online courses basically in court reporting techniques, don't know exactly how many courses. I should have trained for coding rather than transcription; that was my mistake. Yes, the rest is up to me, just because I say I'm going to stay with MT for a couple of years while pursuing also eBay nad being a writer. Perhaps they don't believe I can be a writer because lots of people want to be writers, but if they give up on their "dream", that's up to them, but don't pick on me for it.
Meh - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Please don't assume that when someone has a viewpoint or idea that is different from yours, they are "attacking" you. That is not a healthy way to think.
I hope you do make it as a writer, but for - heavens sake research the field next time.
[ In Reply To ..]
When you entered this one, we were all telling you not to - in gruesome detail. You ignored that and are sorry. Big surprise.

I wouldn't be so aggravated except that your comment that you should have trained for coding suggests you STILL haven't examined your options properly. Real coding is a significantly higher skill job that not all MTs would be able to handle. It was never either-or. If you could have trained for it then, you could still do that now. Billing coding is a low-end trip to a low-end neighborhood. Court reporting? Good grief. You should know all this.

As for asking what else you could do? If you can't list several jobs nobody here has heard of, you still haven't been doing your homework. I've posted jobs here I've found in 15 minutes on the web.

New medical technology means brand-new lines of technical work are opening up all the time. A couple years down the road official certification and class requirements will have developed, but early on those lag -- creating great opportunities for those who PREPARE and POSITION themselves to move into them. And if you do have to take classes and provide two years' experience to get licensed? That's job security--no one can just step in and do the work for less.

Whatever you do, if you're going to succeed and not find yourself right back at this point in a couple years, is going to require more commitment than just taking a quick road to what you hope will be part-time work.

If you have the brains to be a writer, for your day job until and if you can support yourself as a writer you should plan to earn no less than $50K a year, $60K or more after 5 years in the field. Anything less for those with the ability is a suckers' game. THAT's a real back-up plan.

BTW, I didn't just write this for you. I mostly gave up giving advice to people who insist on entering this field a long time ago, but every once in a while... Who knows, maybe sometime for someone it actually made a difference?
Final Comment - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
Spending too much time on this forum lately. Anyway, to ensure, $50,000, I think one would need to go into other writing besides books. I'm doing it for artistic reasons and making my life meaningful, fulfilling a personal purpose, though money is imiportant too. I didn't research enough before going into MT, but I don't think I'm as upset about as apparently some people here are about being an MT these days. At least, I haven't sold my soul or prostituting myself. It's still honest work.
I think - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
Some of us got confused because you used the word "lucrative" when referring to your writing. Lucrative means, basically, very money-making. Now you're just saying your writing would be okay if it just gets you paying your bills.

Anyway, you are to be commended for "getting off the dole" and working towards some dreams. Just keep your feet on the ground. People who don't, end up with their head in the clouds.

Do not let anyone squash your dream of being a writer, but put your energy into very realistic endeavors.
Misunderstood - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
As I recall, I used the word "lucrative" once in terms of possibly getting a "real job" in writing. I expressed that I don't know how much my book would sell and therefore it's iffy, but I might also want to look into something more lucrative such as writing for websites or copywriting. There is someone named Angela Booth who provides good informational material and offers a course that I am going to take, if further research tells me that getting in the field of copywriting would be feasible.
Expect To Complete First Book - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
In about a year, I should have my first book on Amazon, self-published. Part of the book's title is a phrase from a relatively popular book, so that should help get my book "discovered", since nobody has ever heard of me and won't be looking up my name to find the book. What I mean is if one titles their book "It Has Gone With the Wind", then if someone types into Amazon looking for the book "Gone With the Wind", it's likely that their book title will show up too ampong the search results. After I have this book published, then I think I can look for proofreading jobs and the like. It makes me more credible than just having a few articles online which I submitted without pay.
Meh - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
Be careful with copyright issues. Seriously. I know a case where a man (whose given first name was "Dell") who started a computer company called "Super Dell." Dell Computers, Inc. successfully sued him for theft of intellectual property. Just be careful out there.
I Assume - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
You're referring to my mention of book titles? Book titles aren't copyrightable. But yeah, you have to be careful about such things.
Who reads books these days? - FlyBy
[ In Reply To ..]
Not to be the fly in the ointment of your hopes and dreams but book readership is way down. People just do not read books that much anymore. Since the Internet and the advent of blogging, many just do buy or read books. If you love writing, you should write but even finding it the least bit "lucrative" is a stretch in today's economy and technology. Most people are getting rid of most of their books, bookcases, CD racks, CDs. Writing an e-book is your best bet and they do not sell for much.
Whatever - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
I find your comment to be true in some respects but on a whole a bit ridiculous.
Whatever - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
My legal writing prof would say that your comment is a self-contained contradiction. What do you mean to say?
Partial Truth - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree partly, but overall is incorrect is what I mean. To say that people don't buy physical books anymore is not true. But it's true that nonphysical books and information on computer is taking over a lot. I don't think people are getting rid of their bookcases.

Alternate career - TexasGal

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing MT since 1985 and am ready to get out; hence, the cat furniture idea I posted recently. Had I taken my father's suggestion and started working at the V.A. in 1979, I would have my 20 years in by now. How I wish I had listened to him!

Meow - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
My cat says he hopes your cat furniture is really cool because if it is, he wants me to get him something.

You are all so negative - you write that book girl!

[ In Reply To ..]
I get so sick and tired of reading posts on here from fellow MTs totally bashing someone's dream, goal, future career choice just because they think it isn't good enough or isn't going to make money or go the way of MTing. Instead of all the negativity, how about encouraging a fellow MT to pursue her goal?! So I just want to wish you luck and you write that book and follow your dream!

Thumbs Up - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
I would pursue my dream whether I get bashed or not and I would not pursue it whether I get bashed or not. In the end, it's all up to me. But I happen to personally take a liking to those who are more supportive rather than those who sound negative.

I Agree - But...

[ In Reply To ..]
...take the word "lucrative" out of the equation. Just ENJOY the trill of pursuing your dream, but keep your eyes OPEN that it may not be lucrative.

Still Misunderstood - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
I referred only to more lucrative in terms of if I were to pursuing copywriting or writing for websites. Otherwise, when it comes to my books, I'm not thinking of money so much. And I never that writing books would necesarily be lucrative. But copywriting can be lucrative,if it's a feasible field.

I do support your writing, however, very few will have 5 years left in MT - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]
Even the transcription manager for this whole hospital system figures she only has 2 years before even she'll be out of a job. (Yes, we are phasing in Epic. Once fully in place, there'll be only a little left to do.)

Escape hatch needs to be ready to go sooner rather than later. At least you are thinking about it; so many are still in utter denial.

Thanks For the Heads Up - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I'll leave being an MT within 3 years, maybe before that. If I don't make enough money with eBay or writing, two of the additional avenues that I want to pursue an income with now, and I then need another "real job" as my bread and butter, then it occurred to me that I could even work at a fast-food restaurant, since the amount of pay would be about equivalent to the income of being an MT.

In Addition - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
Working at a fast food restaurant in 2 or 3 years would make the same amount of bread and butter as being an MT, believe it or not, so don't have to worry about going back to school to get another poorly paid "career" when MT work is no longer available. I would continue with supplementing income with eBay and writing. (I am talking about myself here, but those of you who are negative towards my postings don't have to read it.) I have become an MTStars forum addict, which explains my many posts, but I will now leave. Goodbye.

Meh - Not a fan

[ In Reply To ..]
You're babbling on and saying nothing, really. How about putting all of that energy (manic phase?) into doing some realistic and enjoyable for yourself? This is really kinda getting old, dontcha think?
Realistic? - Meh
[ In Reply To ..]
What's not realistic about what I've said--other than that I was not that in tune with the MT field going out of business sooner than I thought? Is it unrealistic to have writing goals? Are you the same person who made the remark that you never even heard of self-publishing a book?

shove what in their faces? - they dont need us anymore

[ In Reply To ..]
You make it sound as if "they" will suddenly regret paying MTs so poorly and wishing they still had us, but that's just not the case. "They" won't be left holding the bag, because there won't be any bag left to hold. MT will be gone.

Misson accomplished, eh Meh? you got your whole page here - about nothing we do not already know. but

[ In Reply To ..]
gee thanks for almost a whole page of your trolling useless information...and taking us for THAT stupid.

THE END.

I agree with Mission Accomplished - Not a fan

[ In Reply To ..]
She needs to go away.

Similar Messages:

With New Plan STM Stated 35% Of Our Team Would C Increase With New Comp Plan
Dec 04, 2014

This means 65% will see decrease and/or paid minimum wage. They are touting this as the great new comp  (local Burger King is advertising job for $10/hour).  Anyone find out if the QC percentage is just for blanks or include all sent to QA including Audio issues, etc, and will EQA be included.  Also, trying to figure out our pay from week to week is going to be a pain.  I am going to see how this new comp plan works out, but since the conference call, I'm not feeling pos ...

How Would You Type: For The Past Year-year And A Half?
Sep 09, 2011

.. ...

Pt Has A "several Year" History Of A Slowly-growing Mass. Hyphen Several Year?
Jan 25, 2011

? ...

Year Old Versus Year-old
Aug 28, 2014

If no noun following such as female or male should this be hyphenated, i.e. if stated "A 10 year old has stomachache".... should it be "A 10-year-old has stomachache" ..... ...

Anyone Here Have UHC HRA Plan?
Oct 01, 2012

I'm just curious as to how it works, as I may have to sign up for it at the end of the year.  How does the HRA account work and how do you get access to the funds when you need them?  I think I understand everything beyond that.  Just curious how the account is set up and how to get access to it.  ...

This Is My Plan-
Aug 28, 2013

I will check for work during my schedule. Work it if possible, if not, just use the no wrk excused absence comment. I am not going to work around the clock to try and make it up. Ridiculous. If you want to, that is okay, but seems crazy to ask people to do this.  Why don't the supervisors/TSMs have a call about this. We get an email, but never anyone to tell us directly about a change. I just cannot believe that they expect employees to try and make up the time. ...

New Pay Plan...cant We....sm
Oct 15, 2014

Cant we all write the guys who are on the e-mail we all got if in fact this turns out to be something bad? Flood their emails and desks? Ya know its too bad we cant get together 500+ MLS and go on strike... I would do it. If a ton of us went on strike and demanded fair wages and changes, with noone typing their reports for 48+ hours I think they'd listen. It kind of sounds like the pay will be the same even if they lower the base..... b/c if they lower the base rate but you get a tad extra ...

New Pay Plan...? Sm
Nov 30, 2014

Sounds like they are taking out the LPH requirements? Or am I the only 1 thinking this? Sounds like they take out the requirement for LPH. Now your lines may drop due to focusing more on QA/blanks/rereading,etc.  Normally that would lower your lines and lower your pay. Now it will lower your lines BUT you will send less to Q and have less mistakes so your pay will ultimately stay the same. This is how I am taking all of this. The only thing I am not getting is if we are going to have a base ...

New Pay Plan
Nov 30, 2014

Been thinking about this, and it's obvious we are all pretty much sunk. I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to post any info on getting financial assistance to learn another trade/skill. Am thinking pharmacy tech or medical assistant. Seems to me there is a government program that may help out with tuition/expenses, but cannot remember what it's called. Thanks in advance.   ...

The Plan
Dec 06, 2014

My son, who has a Master's Degree in Math, took a look at the 7-page explanation of the new compensation plan.   He said it was very confusing.  What the  ?    Not even a math expert can understand it?   Really?  I'm at a loss ;( ...

Even Though I Will Do Well With This New Pay Plan,
Dec 13, 2014

The abuse and the stress have gone beyond the pale. The people who put together this pay plan have no idea what it is like to work in the trenches. We have taken pride in our work and have loved the field of medical transcription, but they have made us hate it. They have caused us to make more mistakes. We are not focused on what we are doing at any given moment; we are focused on our overall scores and thinking about how we're going to make enough money to buy winter boots for our children ...

New Changes In Pay Plan
Feb 09, 2015

Did anybody get the email about the changes they are making.  We have longer time to request a reversal (big deal - they never approve them so really????) and now they can QA us for our 2 weeks rather than our 1 weeks which in my  opininon just gives them more time to pick apart which ones they want to check and find their errors to total up!!!  That is great idea. ...

New PTO Plan?
Feb 10, 2015

I thought they were going to roll out a new PTO plan first of the year? ...

New PTO Plan
Jun 09, 2015

Was told in a conference call a while back that they would revamping the PTO plan and would release or announce it on June 1.  Had not heard anything from my supervisor.  I know she said they would implement a buy back plan and that was all she knew.  Has any one else heard what further fun and games Nuisance has in store regarding our PTO?  And since I am asking, do you think they will mess with our 401(k) -- like no longer doing partially matching contributions? Counting t ...

Assessment And Plan Q
Oct 20, 2009

I have a dictator will dictate the Assessment/Plan with a number for the problem and a letter for the plan (1.  Gout.  A. Labs in the morning.  B.  Medication, 2.   Etc.  A. B., 3. A.)  I have always just ignored the letters she gives me and not put them, but I was wondering today if I am suppose to.  It is not a verbatim account and I never got in trouble for not putting them.  I tried looking this up in AAMT BOS but maybe I am not looking right ...

Help With Backup Plan
Dec 11, 2010

I hope someone can help me.  I know I need to back up my files (especially my work files, SH, etc.)  I see ads on TV about back up options, I have heard of other ways to do this as well, like an external drive.  My dilemma is that I don't know which is the best way to do this.  I have a Dell computer and every so often a box comes up and says backup not done.  I never click on it.  Does this mean I should have make a disk with everyone on it that I wa ...

PTO With Pay Plan Question
Dec 30, 2010

Does anyone know if the PTO we see as of today in teamwork is the correct remaining PTO for the rest of the year?  I was not sure if the pto we used previously in the period ending 12/26 is reflected in the current PTO in teamwork yet.   This is confusing me since we will get a 12/31 paycheck.  I know pto will not accumulate until next year but it looks like to me I did not lose any PTO even since taking a few hours ending the 26th.  any clues out there?  ...

Assessment And Plan
Jan 11, 2011

anyone hear of "SMACK" on the assessment and plan of a PE? ...

A TARE Plan?
Aug 02, 2011

He is saying "She was released from the hospital and she was given a TARE (tear, tare sounds like tare, rhymes with care) plan which suggests that she stays hydrated and also get treatment for her headaches." I'm stumped!  ...

Incentive Plan
Feb 07, 2012

I was told there was an incentive plan with M*Modal/MQ.  Any information would be appreciated.   Thanks ...new to M*Modal ...

Well, I Know Transcription Is Going Away But What I Plan To Do Is
Jan 06, 2013

just continue to take what I can get until there is nothing left.  If it means working here and there I guess that is what I will do.  As far as coding, MModal is advertising everywhere for coding people and I can assure you they are training coders and that work will be heading overseas as well so why bother.  They will keep the rates low and there wont be any money in that either.  I guess the only way to even try to survive in transcription is take what you can get unless ...

New MT Rewards Plan
Oct 11, 2013

Does anyone know what this is or where it can be found?  Thanks. ...

What Do You ICs Do For Health Ins? What Is The Best Plan?
Nov 14, 2013

x ...

Here's My Escape Plan
Feb 15, 2014

I got a job with a small local MTSO.  The pay is only fair, and there's no PTO, but there's also no VR and my insurance is free (not for my family though).  The owner and I both know that the days of MT are dwindling but we are going to ride it out till the end.  The beautiful part is her office also does coding and billing.  Not the really indepth inpatient coding, of course, but office stuff.  She knows I want to learn how to do that so when the MT work is go ...

MM's Game Plan?
Apr 16, 2014

To get as many new transcription clients as possible, then sell them all on their Fluency One product, thereby doing away with the old fashioned back end transcription altogether. I mean, it really says something when your employer has developed a software program that can eliminate your job. ...

New Pay Compensation Plan..sm
Oct 14, 2014

Can someone please explain to me this new email we all got this afternoon about the new pay compensation plan rolling out in December? Can anyone explain it a bit more in detail. Sounds like our pay will not be the same amount anymore as in no more cpl that we were used to? Sounded like to me it will be based on quality and working weekends/nights, etc. Is this something good? Email wasn't in detail too much and a little hard to read. I dont have time to go through it right now. Thanks! ...

The New Pay Plan Email
Oct 15, 2014

If my punctuation and capitalization was as bad as the notice in that email, I'd be fired.  I guess they don't see the hypocrisy in that. ...

New Compansation Plan
Nov 16, 2014

Has anyone's TSM given an indication of when they are going to inform us of this?  Surely they have an idea even if management doesn't want to share with us lowly peons. ...

Mmodal Pay Plan?? Sm
Nov 30, 2014

Can anyone tell me how Mmodal employees get paid? Nuance is changing their pay plan and I hear MModal already changed it the same way. I am curious as to what it is as far as if there is a basepay, how often it changes, etc. Any information is appreciated. :) ...

New Pay Compensation Plan
Dec 01, 2014

Since 2012, when Nuance "officially" took over the company I was with, they following has been very consistent. 1) Cut pay, then offer some type of carrot (incentive, bonus) to help us "make up" the loss in line rate. QA us to death for any little error, calll it a major error or a critical error to lower our quality score so that we cannot make 'incentive' or 'bonus.' If we do re-read the reports in order to bring quality scores up, our lines go down, and then it is a sum z ...