A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I don't know what to get a degree in - me

Posted: Apr 19, 2014

I'm going back to school. I know that I want a bachelor's degree. The trouble is, I don't know what I want to study. My personality is introverted and shy. I can deal with co-workers, but dealing with the general public and customers is not my strong point.So careers where I'd have to be out front or a "leader" wouldn't be a good option for me.

I can't/don't want to be a nurse or teacher. I had thought about getting a degree in Computer Science, but I am not good in science and math.  I want a degree that is marketable. I know that it is not always easy to get a job out of college, but I want a degree that will give me a fighting chance. I had considered Sociology, Communications, or Criminal Justice. I researched Sociology degrees online, and lots of people say that a Sociology degree is "worthless," so I'm apprehensive about that. I'd considered Health Information Management, but I just don't know.

I don't know what to do or what major to pick. Any suggestions or guidance? I don't necessarily need a job that is going to make me rich. I just want to be comfortable (something that I'll never be doing medical transcription). I'm asking you guys because I know you'll give it to me straight, but please be kind. :) And sorry that I jumped all over the place in my post.

I know how you feel. - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm extremely shy, but if I were younger, I would try ultrasound or radiology tech. My son (who is extremely shy) is going to graduate with a bachelor's in biochemistry and wants to work in a lab. My daughter has an English/Writing major and is working at a grocery store, so I wouldn't suggest that degree. (HVAC is the true place where people are needed, but I don't think I would want to do that, lol.)

My Thoughts - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
To the OP: Wow! I could've written your post. That is 100% me and what I've thought. I minimally looked into an English degree, thinking I could be an editor or proofreader, possibly in the medical field with all my medical terminology knowledge.

However, I'm in my 50s and don't want to waste time and money on useless and ridiculous (IMO) subjects like Shakespeare, religion, Medieval literature, etc., that will not help me whatsoever in an editing/proofreading job.

To Depressed: Could you tell me why an English/Writing major apparently isn't a good idea as your daughter is working in a grocery store? Thanks so much!

My daughter moved to D.C. - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
because a friend of hers said there were a lot of writing/editing jobs there, but she has lived there 2 years and constantly sending out resumes and interviewing, but apparently most places are having economic problems and not hiring or replacing people retiring. She is working at a grocery/deli because it pays her rent (which is terribly high). She even lived a year in India and met the Dalai Lama at his home and wrote a blog, but that hasn't helped her get a job. (Teaching jobs are even harder to get.)
To Depressed - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your reply. I feel bad for your daughter and hope she finds a writing/editing job soon. Fear of not being able to find a job IF I did get a 4-year degree is one of the major reasons I haven't gone back to school, especially since I'll be in my late 50s by the time I get a 4-year degree.
To Anon - - Depressed
[ In Reply To ..]
I am in my mid 50s and have the same fears. I don't want to end up with student loans until I'm in my late 70s (on top of the ones I'm paying for my kids).

Good luck whatever you decide. :) - me

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

our shyness... - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Certainly hasn't been helped by doing at home transcription, has it? lol I was at The Dollar Tree the other day, a store that I love, and I thought how fun it would be to work there part time while in school. But then I got home, went to the Dollar Tree website, and saw that you HAVE to work at the cash register to work there. Cash registers are a no-no for me. lol I'm going to call the store tomorrow and confirm that though.

Congrats to your kids for getting their degrees! Working in a lab sounds fun. I'd love to do that if I were good at science. I love reading, writing, analyzing stories...I always excelled at English and Literature class in school. An English degree sounds like heaven to me, but like you said, the job prospects.

You're never too young... - 4vrtpng

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not young (48), but am just finishing up a 2 year degree in becoming a rad tech. I can't say it has been easy, but it will be worth it in the end. Even the lowest paying job in my area is 3x what I make now as an MT. 25 days to graduation and I can't wait. I was shy at first, having worked so long by myself at home, but I quickly overcame that and am now the people person I was before becoming an MT. I really enjoy working with patients and making them feel comfortable in the situation they are in.

Congrats! sm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Rad tech sounds like a great career! It must be so great to finally be in a career where you're not paid peanuts and taken for granted every day.

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes - just my opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
The first thing I would do is ask myself, what do I want to do every day when I wake up. I think the most important thing is knowing what type of work environment you want to be in every day is the most important thing. Like, do I want to stay home or do I want to go in some place and be around people.

Option 1 - staying home. I would then ask myself, okay, what exactly is it I want to do at home. Computer programming? Something working in web page building? Writing (copy writing/writing for web content), painting, or sewing (like mending clothes and stuff).

Option 2 - going in somewhere. This is where there are a lot of choices. Do you want to remain in the medical setting? Do you want to work in a doctors office versus hospital. Are you the "touchy feely" kind of person (like a nurse who has to deal with patient care, or a tech that has to rub stuff on pregnant women's bellies to get an ultrasound or arrange a strangers breast for mammos. Or do you like the legal field. Do you like to research. Maybe if not full blown lawyer, what about legal aid or court reporter. Do you have a knack to be able to interview people, maybe an investigator type of person.

Do you like working with pets? Maybe a vet or aide to a vet.

Do you want to work in a place that busy with a lot of noise (like a daycare type of place) or do you prefer quiet, maybe librarian.

Do you like working with kids? Maybe a teacher or teachers aide.

Are you artistic? Do you like working with remodeling or designing peoples homes. Interior design. Do you like creating clothes - fashion designer.

What about cooking or baking. There is that field to get into.

If I had the chance to do it all over again I'd go to cooking school and become a baker. I love baking, mixing rolling, cake decorating. Cupcakes, cookies, rolls and I would have loved to learn to make wedding cakes. I'd go into baking and eventually open up my own baking business and make and sell fresh pastries and coffee.

Maybe search top jobs trends and career fields and something might hit you just right. Whatever you decide I wish you all the best of luck. It's not an easy decision in a failing economy, but having a goal is a good thing to plan for your future.

what about RHIA? - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
you could build on what you already know and take your years of experience with you into that field.

Good luck!

Thanks! - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm definitely interested in RHIA. I'm going to be doing more research into it. :)

Thank you so much - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I know whatever I do, I have to get out of this house. Working at home has hindered me. I need to learn how to be around people on a daily basis again. lol

I actually would love to get a bachelor's degree in Health Information Management and be an RHIA. Sounds weird, but I'd even love to get my RHIT first and do medical records. I don't mind working my way from the bottom. I'm just leery because I've on the Coding board that you have to have good credit history to work in hospitals or doctor's offices, and good credit is something I don't have. And then I'm kind of scared to go for HIM since it's not a "popular" degree, and no school around me does it, so I'd have to do it all online.

I have lots of analyzing myself, brainstorming, research, etc., ahead of me to figure out what's going to be the best degree for me. I'm just glad that you can be Undeclared for a few years. lol

On the "popularity" of degrees - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The availability of an HIM program at your local college has nothing to do with popularity. Your college does not have an HIM program because it can't get accredited to have one. The availability of those programs is controlled by AHIMA in order to ensure the competency of graduates and prevent flooding the market with so many graduates that salaries drop.

Even if a college has an HIM program, entrance to it will be restricted and competitive. You will have to demonstrate the ability to make appropriate grades in prerequisite courses during the first year, including courses like math, computer science, and A&P, in order to be accepted. You will also have to have a better track record than others applying at the same time.

These programs aren't unpopular ... they are limited in size because they turn down large numbers of applicants. Your local college may admit anyone with a high school diploma or GED. If they have an HIT program, it doesn't have to let you in. HIM programs do not accept everyone, either. They only take you if you show that you can do the work and finish the degree in time, and pass the RHIA registry exam. Having a 2-year HIT degree is no guarantee of getting into an HIM program.

As for doing the programs online, you are mistaken if you think that having it locally means you won't have to do it online. There is also absolutely nothing wrong with doing a program online.

Just an FYI about librarians - none

[ In Reply To ..]
You need a master's degree and the jobs are scarce.

Questions for you... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Before I answer, two questions for you... how old are you, and what specifically is your issue about HIM?

check out department of labor website - they break it all down

[ In Reply To ..]
You can see whether a certain profession is growing or dying and you can see salaries.

I just wanted to thank you.... - SmileyChica

[ In Reply To ..]
for posting this. I love the question as it applies to me (I am 50 tho), and I love the well thought out responses. Im also considering going back to school. Also, cannot figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

aww, thanks and good luck! nm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

One other note about the degree - just my opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
A degree does not guarantee you a job. I know a lot of people who have degrees who are out of work. I also know of people who have no degrees who have made it big (Bill Gates, etc).

I read an article that said what people need to do is pick a company that they would want to work for. I'll use Microsoft as an example (just because I mentioned Gates name). You need to research the company, find out what positions they have, what are their trends, what projects are they working on, and what education you are going to need to get to fill the needs they have.

I wish you luck. Am envious as I would like to be in the position to be able to go to school and learn a new subject, but unfortunately I'm the only working adult in my family. The other adult is still trying to decide what he wants to be when he grows up. Unfortunately it causes a lot of heated discussions cos I'm tired of having to be the responsible one.

Whatever you decide to do you just have to know exactly what your job would be every day that you go in and know that it is something you would love doing.

Thank you. sm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Good advice. All day I've been searching job ads and looking at certain companies to see what qualifications you have to have.

A while back, I found a company that I wanted to start from the bottom and try to work my way up in. The had jobs advertised for data entry, which is right up my alley being a transcriptionist. So I applied, but I didn't hear from them again. I'll continue to do this too.

what I chose to study - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
When I knew I had to go back to school to get out of MT, I asked myself what I REALLY wanted to do for a career. Like you, I am introverted and thought that would limit my choices. My dream since I was a kid was to study sign language. I started a program shortly out of high school but quit because of social anxiety.

Two years ago I bit the bullet and started a program again to study American Sign Language, mostly because I'm passionate about it, but also because there is a need for people with the skill. I have one semester left to go. Was it tough at first? Yes, incredibly tough for me. Getting up in front of the class sent me into anxiety attacks. But I've slowly gotten better at it. I found out my people skills were better than I thought. Working at home for years has taken a toll on me, but it can be overcome.

I wanted to post this for anyone who may not have thought of a career in this field. It takes dedication, but I enjoy it so much, it's worth it. I found that my English and grammar skills have been an asset to learning a new language (I'm horrible at math-oriented stuff).

Don't let your thoughts of being an introvert steer you away from what you truly want to do. I wish I hadn't let it so many years ago when I could have finished the program and been well into the career field instead of starting out new in it at almost 40 years old.

Seems like a 4-year degree isn't a guarantee to finding a job. If anyone is looking to go back to school, look at degree programs that are in demand, a niche you would enjoy and not necessarily something that is cranking out large numbers of graduates competing for a few jobs. My degree will only be a 2-year degree, but where I live, employers are waiting for qualified graduates in advance. With this degree, I hope to get my foot in the door working as an assistant in a classroom or early intervention. I'd like to eventually continue on and get a 4-year degree. There are many avenues to take this skill set into--medical, legal, educational, mental health, vocational rehab, etc. I don't want to get rich, either, and I hope I'm marketable when I graduate. I just want to do a job where my skills are valued and I enjoy my work. You'll never know unless you give it a shot.

That is a good field, as it happens! - Good for you!

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm

Congratulations! - me

[ In Reply To ..]
That sounds like a really fun and interesting career. I had thought about learning either ASL or Spanish and being maybe an interpreter. I'm going to look back into that.

During my first attempt at college, I quit because I couldn't handle speech class and couldn't handle getting into groups to do group work, as silly as that probably seems to a lot of people. I wasted a lot of years not getting help for my social anxiety and depression problems and staying in my little bubble of medical transcription, but I realize I have to get out. I can't waste my life due to my SA. I've gotten therapy and medication help, feel so much better, and am ready to push myself out of my comfort zones little by little. My life has already changed so much for the better by getting help, but that's such a long story. lol

I'm going to take your advice and not limit myself so much to thinking I can't do something just because of my shyness and SA. :)

what I chose to study - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm cheering you on! You sound SO similar to me. I let social anxiety hold me back for too long. I thought MT would be a good fit, and it was for a while, but it really exacerbated my problems.

I have done therapy and medications, so I know it is very real. And yes, it is a long story! It can be managed and doesn't have to limit your life. Going back to school and studying ASL has been a huge leap for me, probably one of the biggest I've taken.

I wish you much success. Who knows, you may find a way to use your experience to help others. You have a good perspective on what it's like to have a condition that holds you back and in turn, you could use it to guide others.

Many echo how you feel - Backwoods Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
I relate to every statement you made. Like you, Im more introverted and shy and dont really care to be around a lot of people.

Just last year, I was working for one of the local hospitals doing MT and making good pay. Then in August we were told that we were being outsourced. Now, Im making about half of what I was. I started thinking In August about what to go back to school for and, like you, I was hitting that brick wall. I had absolutely no clue what I wanted to do but, also like you, I am one of those that likes to be behind the scenes. I worked on site for the hospital and came home to work when we were outsourced. I have loved working from home, but I am quickly losing my passion for this line of work because of many reasons, the biggest one being that the pay stinks and you are basically the doormat. Im tired of working 80 hours for peanuts.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and go into Cyber Security and will begin online classes very soon. Im not sure if I will go on for a Bachelors, but definitely getting an associates. I know this does not guarantee a job, but I have to do something for my family. I have to move on from MT...its a dying field. Face it, any time you go back to school its a gamble. A roll of the dice...let's hope lady luck smiles on you!

Coming to a final decision was hard. No, its not really something I will love but it will allow me to work from home still and make a decent wage and I have the added bonus of learning more about computers and information security. Its anticipated that this field will have a 22% growth rate between 2012 and 2018, so that means plenty of jobs. My real love lies in horticulture, but jobs around me are few and are usually seasonal...not to mention low pay. I have to travel quite a ways...at least 45 minutes...to town if I had a job outside the house. The drive is a killer in itself.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide to pursue. Nowadays, its either computers or nursing that the colleges are trying to push out. Keep in mind that you do not have to conform to that. Think long and hard and you will know without a doubt when you find your calling. Make sure you research your choices thoroughly. Good luck to you and all others like you (and I) out there looking to better themselves.

Cyber-(in)security? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
If governments can't seem to secure their websites, if the credit card companies can't secure their transactions, what makes you think that you'll be able to secure computer systems? I can't imagine getting a job in computer "security" when it is impossible for end users (individuals and corporations)(as opposed to hardware and software manufacturers) to secure their systems. The operating systems and hardware, as currently sold, have so many security holes in them. Default settings often leave things wide open in the name of ease of use. The people hired for security by a company WILL get fired as sacrificial lambs when security is breached even if their suggestions for what things are needed to improve security were vetoed by the company's bean counters. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. No thank you. I'm very willing to be a worker bee who conforms closely to security plans put in place by a company. But I am not willing to be the one whose job description involves being responsible for developing those plans. Too much responsibility without authority. A nearly impossible task. But if you think you're up to the task, more power to you!

Social anxiety - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
When I was in school I used to get nervous diarrhea every time I had to present anything in class...from grade school through graduate school, where presentations are mucho importante.

I was started several years ago on Paxil/paroxetine for depression. OMG, I've turned into an obnoxious b*tch. Seriously, I don't know if it is my age (60s) or the meds, but I have absolutely no problem telling people what I think anymore. It has been mentioned in the past for those with social phobia. If you are depressed anyway, this may be something to try.

Thanks.! sm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm on Wellbutrin, and it has helped me so much. I honestly wish I could be like you though, not afraid to tell people exactly what I think. :P I've come a long way though. :)

Similar Messages:

So Should I Just Forego My MT 2 Year Degree And Go On To My Bachelors Degree In Something Else Compl
Mar 08, 2010

After hearing all the hum drum about the future of new medical transcriptionists on this website, I'm starting to feel like a real numskull for even choosing my 2 year degree in medical transcription. It just seems like there's no hope for new medical transcriptionists these days. Should I just get any regular job and just go for my bachelors degree in something completely different? Since I've been posting on hear for the last week and so far the answers to my questions have bee ...

1st Degree Over First Degree AV Block
Feb 11, 2013

Can anyone tell me, and I mean if you are on the forum right now if 1st degree block AV block is now acceptable or even preferred over first degree AV block?  Don't get me wrong guys, no matter when you answer it, it will help me.  I would just have like an answer if possible tonight, but I realiize that is asking too much.  Just answer whenever you get some time.  I would appreciate it.  Thanks guys!! Hope!  ...

3rd Degree?
Apr 06, 2010

I've been all over the Internet and my texts and past assignments and I cannot find a definitive answer to this.  I'm trying to decide whether it should be "third degree compression fracture" or "3rd degree compression fracture" as everything I've seen online says to spell it out as it pertains to burns.  I'm assuming it would be the same for fractures, but I can't find anything that describes a compression fracture as a degree.  Does anyone know this one ...

If You Are An RMT, Is Having A Degree Still Important?
May 16, 2011

Hi all. I plan on taking the RMT test soon and feel confident of passing. My question is, if I do get the title, will employers care that I don't have a formal education in MT?... Would passing the test serve as adequate indication that I know enough to qualify? Thanks in advance. ...

15 Degree Blade Or 15-degree Blade?
May 24, 2011

not sure which is correct ...

College Degree
Feb 17, 2015

I see many job ads for coders that specify a college degree is required.  I am in coding school currently but only have a GED.  What do you think chances are I can get a job with no college degree?  I currently work as a remote MT and have almost 20 years of continuous experience in that field and was hoping that would help me get a job.  I am not at all, however, interested in getting a college degree. ...

Kaplan University Degree In MT?
Apr 12, 2010

My husband is close to finishing the MT program at Kaplan University.  He will end up is AS Degree - is this a good program? Does he have any chance of getting a job? This degree cost 10 times as much at the course from CareerStep. I sure hope we didn't waste ALOT of money for nothing. ...

Would An HIM Degree Make A Difference?
Jun 09, 2011

if I want to move to something other then transcription but stilll not waste the 12 years transcription experience I have?  ...

Kaplan University MT Degree
Oct 07, 2011

So about 6 months ago I started the MT program at Kaplan University and have been really enjoying it so far. I was reading in this forum earlier, however, and read about a school called Andrews. I was just wondering what the difference was between the degrees that are offered at Kaplan and Andrews and if anyone on the forum has graduated from Kaplan or is in their program and what they thought of the program and if they were abled to get hired right away or not.     ...

Degree Required To Transcribe?
Jan 23, 2012

Does anyone else here find it "interesting" that a company would require an Associates' or higher degree for their medical transcriptionists? ...

I Have A College Degree Question
Aug 23, 2012

I can't stand doing MT anymore.  I applied and have received Pell grants, yay!  Now, I need to decide on my major.  I want to be in a career where I can help people.  I'm thinking social work or psychology.  But I keep seeing jobs where they say "BA in Human Services needed."  Wouldn't this just be social work?   ...

Associates Degree Medical Coding
May 07, 2010

Im so confused, I keep reading on different forums on line how hard it can be to break into medical coding. Does having an AA degree help?  Is that a plus?  I see some on line colleges that are accredited offer AA degrees, AABS degrees, etc.....whats the difference? Is it better for a newbie to go straight to AHIMA and take their cluster of courses or take an on line billing class through one of the on-line universities, then go test at AHIMA and AAPC?  ...

Proper Way To Type Out Degree Of Burns
Oct 21, 2010

Can someone help me with the proper way to type third degree burns or 3rd degree burns.  thanks so much. ...

Career Option If You Have A Bachelors Degree
Mar 12, 2012

Interesting post on the coding board about this, so I thought I would mention it here. If you have a bachelors degree in any subject, you can qualify to take the RHIA exam by completing a postbaccalaureate certificate program in health information administration that is accredited by AHIMA.  That opens up a lot of job opportunities.  You should have little trouble with a program like that because of your healthcare background. There are only a few of those programs and some are extre ...

RHIT DEGREE VS CODING CERTIFICATION
Feb 13, 2013

In researching an HIT degree, I have mostly come across job descriptions that include coding.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and jobs are now being shipped off shore.  Are coding jobs being shipped off shore as well?  And, if so, what would the benefit be of a degree in Health Information Techology?  What jobs are available other than coding and medical records? ...

I Have An AA Degree In Liberal Arts From Years Ago
Nov 28, 2014

or does it need to be a specific AA degree in HIM, as far as what employers are looking for from coders with the proper certifications. ...

Do I Need An Associates Degree To Sit For The AHIMA Certification Exam?
May 09, 2010

so very confused now.  wanted to sign up for AHIMA but now i read this on their site.   Step One: Education Step one begins with a college education. You need to complete either an associate or bachelor's degree program in health information management offered at over 200 colleges and universities across the country. For a listing of accredited programs, click here.  ...

Latest Job-search Finding: A B.A. Degree Required
Sep 08, 2012

If I went through all the work, time and expense to have a Bachelor's Degree, I'd be pretty ticked off if that's all I could get with it. Still, that janitor's job paid a lot better than MT -  something like $18-20/hour.  That's why I looked. ...

1st Degree AV Block With "sinusitopenia"????
Dec 15, 2009

nm ...

Interesting "degree" Program ...
Jan 21, 2015

The link below is to a "medical scribe" associates degree program.  The course content looks almost like their other programs, like HIT and medical office.  It takes two years.  Also, look at the COST.   That is for a job that requires standing on your feet chasing doctors around dragging a computer, is high-demand and high-stress, and which is paying about minimum wage.     ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...