A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Looking for suggestions and recommendations on - good online programs.

Posted: Oct 27, 2014

Pros/cons ? Any experience with Career Step, Andrews, etc? TIA

I'm an Andrews grad - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know anything about Career Step, but Andrews was a great choice for me and I have nothing but pros. The instructors are great and available to answer questions. I'm not going to lie - it was a tough program and you definitely have to be disciplined. Hard work does pay off though - I passed both the CPC and the CCS on my first attempts and I am now working as a coder.

If you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Ditto that. - Andrews CCS, CPC

[ In Reply To ..]
Definitely recommend Andrews.

Andrews - Coding grad

[ In Reply To ..]
Also CCS and CPC-H certified upon completion of course. Very thorough, Very tough.

Thank you fall or the information. Can you give an - estimate of how much time weekly

[ In Reply To ..]
you devoted to the course and studying? Your information is so greatly appreciated :-)

Sorry, thank you ALL, not fall. Very LONG day. - Your opinions are appreciated!

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Depends on you. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the estimate is about 15 hours a week to finish in a year, but it might take you less or more. They do not have a fixed "finish by this date" so you can go faster, but I would not plan on taking longer.

If you can plan on finishing in 6 to 8 months, that will be good, because you can do your certification testing in ICD-9 rather than ICD-10, and you will hit the prime time for hiring in anticipation of ICD-10. It will require more staff for the same amount of work, so employers have to hire more coders.

Don't look at your schedule and see what "free time" you have for this. Nobody ever has enough. Instead, make 2, 2-1/2, or 3 hours a day for 6 days a week (not 7) by eliminating things (TV and entertainment, telephone chats, daily MTStars), reducing (like reducing daily cleaning to once a week), reassigning (ask family to do household chores and cooking), consolidating (run errands together, shop once a week, cook once a week and freeze meal-size portions).

You also need to schedule what to study and give yourself a goal for each day or session. If you do not plan to get a certain amount done in 1 hour, it will drag out for a week.

It starts out slowly, but as you learn more, it snowballs. You can go faster toward the end.

If you have not spoken to Linda Andrews yet, you should. She is really nice. Won't try to sell you on the school, either. She wants what is best for you.
Thank you. Great suggestions and ideas and things - I am already thinking about. Is there
[ In Reply To ..]
set class time, or is it self-study? Thank you for the tip on the 6-8 month timeframe!
It is independent learning. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
There are no formal classes or set times when you have to be online. They provide a schedule of what you need to do in terms of readings, assignments, and tests, along with an instructor to help. It is up to you to get it done, ask questions, and work with the instructor.

Of note, they use high-quality textbooks, not online screens of material or the home-made pamphlets another school is famous for. These are the same books that coders use in their work as references. The code books they provide are top-notch, too. My facility buys the same references and code books every year.

This is great info and what I was hoping was the - case with no set times to be online.
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your reply and help.

Andrews - Coding grad

[ In Reply To ..]
It took me one year and 4 months to complete the course while working full time. I don't remember specific time a day, but every free moment! I kept up with the schedule and did everything on time for the assignments each week. Holidays and weekends all dedicated to the course. It was tough, but worth it. I also came from MT and that knowledge gave me a leg up.
Thank you for sharing your experience. This is - helpful to know ahead of time.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
MT looking to move to coding - gamoma3
[ In Reply To ..]
Can any Andrews grads give me an idea how quickly you were able to get a job working from home and how much money you are making now, versus as an MT (of course it will be more...I currently average minimum wage after 14 years...pathetic)....but just wondering an idea. I currently do not have $4500 for the Andrews course or have an extra $165 a month to make a payment...like I said I make minimum wage.... so, also, how did you pay for the course? Do they take financial aide?

Similar Messages:

Your Recommendations, Please.
Jul 16, 2013

Can anyone recommend a good small company that will pay a decent line rate, not make me learn a new platform and treat me with respect?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Training Recommendations
Apr 11, 2011

I went to a seminar for At-Home Professions. The training course is about 5 months. I am trying to decide if I finish the courses, will there be employment opportunities?   ...

Headset Recommendations?-sm
Apr 12, 2011

I need a new headset for my PC.  I want want with really good sound -- but want don't want to spend lotsa $$  -- anyone got any suggestions for a good sound quality headset that is affordable..  thx.... ...

Recommendations For Headsets
Jan 29, 2012

Hi, Folks,   So, my company sweetly sent me a dictaphone stethascope-style headset, but it's really uncomfortable for me.  Can you recommend a more comfortable, good-sounding headset that you might have found?   Thank you, thank you, thank you!   ...

KVM Switch Recommendations?
Apr 23, 2012

I don't know too much about KVM switches, but I am getting ready to start two new jobs and have two different computers.  I thought I might try one. Today, my foot pedal for my second job came in and low and behold, it is the same one for my first job.   Do any of you know if there is a KVM that will switch keyboard, video, monitor, headphones, AND foot pedal, and can you recommend one to me.  I'm trying to research, but all this techie jargon makes my head hurt an ...

Chair Recommendations?
Oct 18, 2012

Can anybody recommend a good chair? I am petite, 5 feet 6 inches but small and need cushioning. I need a chair for an extended day (12-20 hours), preferrably without arms, which seem to get in my way. An affordable one not over $400 if possible and fabric, as it is always hot where I live. Thanks ...

Headset Recommendations
Jan 11, 2013

I need to get a new headset as mine is wearing out. I haven't ever bought a headset before and just used the ones that came with my transcribers as they worked fine on the computer as well. I tried the stethescope type and didn't like them but otherwise would like some thoughts on what might be good ones to try.  Thanks! ...

Expander Recommendations?
Jun 30, 2013

I'm looking for just a basic expander program that works similar to Word auto correct.  I've found two that seem to work very much like the one I'm used to, and similar to auto correct.  One is FastFox by NCH (affordable) and the other is Speed Type (expensive, but may be worth it??).  Does anyone use either of these?   Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!   ...

Recommendations For Keyboard
Feb 21, 2014

Any recommendations for a good keyboard? ...

Recommendations For Headphones?
Feb 23, 2014

For best audio quality?  TIA ...

Headphone Recommendations
Jun 20, 2014

Hubby and step child will be home for the next 9 days making my work environment extremely noising and crazy. I need to get new headphones and wondered what everyone recommended. I can't stand the kind that sit in the ear. Every pair I have every tried makes my ear hurt after about 2 to 3 hours and as I am on a 12-hour schedule I prefer over the ear ones if any uses them. Thanks in advance for all your recommendations. ...

TEXT EXPANDER Recommendations
May 16, 2010

Would like recommendations for best text expanding for transcription.  Thank you for your help.   ...

So Many Coding Schools..recommendations?
Jun 23, 2011

I'm one of many MTs who are considering coding. I want to do acute care coding, or hospital/surgical. I've spoke with Allied, AAPC, and both sound reasonable for CPC-H certification. Does anyone have any experiences with either or other schools/courses they will share? ...

Keyboard Recommendations Needed Please!
Oct 02, 2010

I have been an MT now for 10 years. My fingers and hands hurt horribly. I went yesterday and had nerve conduction studies done and I do NOT have carpal tunnel. The pain is just in my fingers. The doc says it is arthritis. I use the Microscoft Elite ergo keyboard which the doc believes kept me from getting carpal tunnel but I am looking for a soft touch keyboard and want to keep the split keys like what I have. Can anyone recommend a keyboard? I have tried typematrix and cannot use that. Also Kin ...

Drug Name Website Recommendations???
Jun 14, 2011

Does anyone have any website suggestions for where to find the name of a drug that would be marketed outside of the U.S., specifically Europe?  I've tried drugs.com and spelled it as many ways as I could think on google, but am not having any luck.  Was wondering if maybe there is a website specific to European meds?  Thanks in advance for any help! ...

I Want To Do IC Work Again? Any Good Recommendations? Please SM
Jan 06, 2012

(I'm sorry--this posted on the main board somehow...which is really strange as I almost never ever visit the main board...but oh well.  Here is it again on the correct board.) I have been a transcriptionist for about 11 years.  Was an employee for about 8 of those years and IC for 3 years during that 11-year period.  I truly enjoy IC work more than employee status.  I just enjoy the flexibility.  My life is such that I no longer need to work full time, but I DO nee ...

Any Recommendations On Questions To Include During
Sep 26, 2012

Am considering a position and have completed the testing process.  Seems there are always after-the-fact issues that people wish they would have known to address before jumping on board.  Would like to get some ideas beforehand if possible.   Thanks in advance for any insight you can share. ...

Any Company Recommendations From Anyone Happy
Dec 14, 2012

with their job?   I know there are tons of people asking for information on companies all the time on this board, but every company I search on looking for information on here, either the information is a few years old or not the information I'm necessarily interested in.  I'd appreciate any input, good or bad, I can get.   I have 18 years experience and have done just about everything except radiology, so the type of account doesn't matter, though I love ortho an ...

Need Broadband Aircard Recommendations
Feb 21, 2013

I'm taking a short trip for a few days and need to find out if an air card will work with escription and which one to get.   Thanks. ...

Adware/malware Recommendations
Apr 01, 2015

My grandkids were playing games on my computer and now I have all kinds of popups and malware.  Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated in how to get rid of this. ...

Medical Transcription School Recommendations?
Jun 22, 2010

I am very interested in narrowing down my current work experience and specializing in one field.  I have no idea on what school I should go with for a CMT diploma/certificate.  Can anyone guide me or have any great experiences with a school?  I am looking for an online school if they are worth paying the money.  This field would be fairly new to me so I need a full course of all the necessary and required courses to be marketable to a new company for job placement.  Thanks for any suggestio ...

Seeking Recommendations For More Typing, Less Speech
Aug 18, 2011

I may be batting into left field ... but can anyone recommend decent companies which have a nice amount of typing as opposed to 95% speech and 5% typing.--- I'm so bored doing speech (good dictators, too) that my forehead is making a permanent crease in my desk. ...

Employee-based Company? Recommendations?
Apr 18, 2012

Anyone have good recommendations on a good employee-based company to work for in terms of good benefits/401k? Thanks!! ...

CPC Review/prep Book Recommendations Please
Jan 25, 2013

I am currently a coding student, but worked as a transcriptionist for 13+ years. I am getting an associates degree and plan to graduate in the spring next year. What review or exam prep books will help prepare me for the CPC exam? Thanks in advance   ...

Recommendations For Transcriptionists Who Are Getting Hearing Aids
Apr 24, 2015

Dear Friends: I went to my ENT on Monday and they did a hearing test and found that I have significant hearing loss in my left ear and to make it compatible with my right ear, which has much less hearing loss, they recommended that I get hearing aids.  My question to you is what recommendations do you have for headphones for over the ears, not in the ear, for people who wear hearing aids.  Thanks so much. Sincerely,  Suzie ...

I See That More Than 150 People Have Looked At My Post, But No Recommendations
Apr 24, 2015

Dear Friends: I see that more than 150 people looked at my message, but no recommendations as of yet. I hate be a bother, but can I get some recommendations for headphones for people who use hearing aids.  Thanks so much.  Sincerely,  Suzie ...

Recommendations For Free Line Counter Software? Sm
Jan 11, 2013

I really wish I could use Sylvan but I have Word 2002 and it only utilizes Word 2003 and higher. I was suggested to try Abacus but I cannot find a legitimate download link. Any other suggestions? Thanks! ...

Recommendations For Headphones For People With Small Ear Canals
Feb 12, 2013

Dear Friends: I seem to have tiny ear canals and openings and because of that my Spectra headphones broke and now I would like recommendations about headphones would be good for me, with my small ear canals.  Do you recommend the stethescope type headphones?  I saw a brand on line on the Dictation Warehouse called Grundig Swingphone USB headset, has anyone heard of this brand and if so the pros and cons of this brand. I would like recommendations.  Thanks. Fondly, Suzanne ...

I Am Deciding Between The Andrew's School And Career Step. I Would Like Some Recommendations On
Jun 12, 2010

Dear Coders: My name is Suzanne Lasky and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to go into medical coding and am have decided through many months of investigating different schools between The Andrew's School and Career Step.  I would like to know your recommendations, what you think of the programs and pros and cons of both.  Thanks so much.  Fondly, Suzanne ...

Recommendations For Headsets For People With Small Ear Canals/openings
Feb 12, 2013

Dear Friends: I seem to have small ear canals/openings and because of that my Spectra headsets broke because I have to push them in too far and they will not fit and now the copper wire disoldged and now I am looking to buy another pair.  I went on the Dictation Warehouse site and talked to a rep there and he said that a good headset for people with small ear canals/openings is Grundig swing phone USB PC headset; have any of you heard of this bra ...