A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Heads up in IL -- The blue unicorn of coding - has arrived.

Posted: Aug 31, 2013

For anyone who may need this... Central DuPage Hospital in IL is looking for THREE CCAs -- that's right, CCAs, not CCSs.

Uh oh! Sounds like ... - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
...somebody is gearing up for ICD-10.

Just a coding student. - What does this mean?

[ In Reply To ..]
Why would someone want a CCA over a CCS?

Don't know - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I do believe the CCS is the best way to go, but a lot of schools don't teach enough for their students to pass the test.... thus, a lot of people end up with CCAs, which, as we know, makes it harder to land a good job. In my area, I NEVER see postings for a CCA, especially at a large, multi-facility hospital. Thus my heads-up... I know there's CCAs out there.

Possible reasons - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
There aren't a lot of CCS holders, so that facility might have difficulty finding enough. They may have established these positions intending to train the new hires into full-fledged coders, probably inpatient.

There is one year to the projected implementation of ICD-10. You should begin to see large facilities taking steps to accommodate the increased demands of that by bringing on more staff. Hence, my guess that this place is gearingup for ICD-10.

Just FYI, ICD-10 is expected to cause some delays in coding output due to its unfamiliarity, particularly for inpatient procedure coding. A lot of long-time coders are saying they will retire rather than switch. Facilities will have to cover these vacant positions as well as new ones.

I doubt if they would not prefer a CCS should one happen to apply, so don't let holding the higher credential stop you!

Long-time coders retiring before - ICD-10
[ In Reply To ..]
If long-time coders are retiring, how would their employers know whether to hire more coders now or when the coders decide to retire? Keep hearing about that, are they retiring in the days before the ICD-10 implementation? Do you think long-time coders are going to tell their employer they are out the door in a year from now? Why would long-time coders start training now for a year, knowing they are not going to be around?
Answers to your questions - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Estimates indicate that additional time will be required to code in ICD-10. This is for a variety of reasons from coder unfamiliarity to electronic issues and Medicare-insurer issues. Facilities already know this and are taking steps to ensure coverage by increasing staffing.

Coders who plan to retire are not hiding the fact. Employers know they may have to replace them. Replacements need to be brought on board well before the switch begins because it would be unwise to try to orient new staff while dealing with unfamiliar coding, electronic issues, and everything else.

I don't understand your question "Why would long-time coders start training now for a year." The training for ICD-10 does not take a year. Estimates are in the range of 15 hours for outpatient coders and 50 or so for inpatient. Nobody has to go back to school for a year-they just need to get oriented. It is the training of new staff that takes time, particularly if you are hiring CAAs who have no experience. You can expect to have to provide a lot of training for them just in coding itself, nevermind ICD-10.

Long-time coders might or might not participate in ICD-10 training. You never know what the future will bring, after all. I think many who have sworn to retire will stay on. ICD-10 is opening jobs in other areas like clinical documentation improvement. I have seen a few moving into things like that.
okay - rewrote it
[ In Reply To ..]
Why would long-time coders start training now, knowing they are not going to be around NEXT year? Everyone is well aware it does NOT take a year to learn ICD-10.
Well, hmm... - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Curiosity, perhaps. Not wanting to burn bridges. A sneaking suspicion that they will be incredibly valuable if they learn it. Or at least be able to work part-time because of it.

Lots of reasons, I suppose. I think the main one is that saying you plan to retire and actually doing it arie different. Nobody wants to be in the position of HAVING to retire on Sept 30. Learning it requires fairly minimal effort and expense, especially if your employer pays for it, so it is a lot safer to learn it.

Coders learn constantly. There is new stuff every year, practically all year. We all spend several hours a month, I think, attending this and that, several more reading and figuring things out. The ICD-9 code changes have been suspended for the last 2 years, so there is lots of room for ICD-10.

Some coders are saying so, yes. - also
[ In Reply To ..]
They are bringing an extra coder here and there to cover for the slow down that will occur in the transition to ICD-10.

Just means there is hope for CCAs - to get in.

[ In Reply To ..]
Which is a good thing. Thanks for posting the heads up!

Similar Messages:

Central Line Placement With Sea Of Blue, CO Blue, Seal Blue?
Aug 09, 2014

Doc is describing putting in a central line and says "Sea of blue/CO blue was used." Does anyone know what this is?? ...

Blue Cross/Blue Shield Versus MQ HRA....
May 30, 2011

I'm considering dropping to PT from FT.  I guess I'll lose my medical benefits, such as it is.  I checked on the Blue Cross/BS site and for one of the "affordable" plans for an individual, the monthly premiums/deductibles, etc. are about the same.  At first I was thinking I couldn't afford to go to PT as I need medical benefits, but now I'm not so sure.  Has anyone dumped MQ's HRA from United and gone Blue Cross and are happy with it?  ...

Is The Phrase "code Blue" Generally Capitalized As Code Blue Or Not?nm
Dec 17, 2010

nm ...

Code Blue Or Code Blue For Beg Of Sentence?
Dec 29, 2014

xx ...

Just A QA Heads Up
Dec 18, 2012

I've only recently discovered this.  If doctor dictates the age of TP and it's wrong, but you can look at the demo and fix it, don't.  Just blank it.  I just had a major error come to my E-mail about this.  I had changed the age, probably because the physician stated it wrong.  However, when you look up a report in escrption, it doesn't tell the patient's date of birth so you have no way to prove anything.  I'm blanking from now on. &nb ...

HEADS UP REGARDING ASR
Jan 06, 2014

We all know this, but it seems things are getting worse with regard to ASR. I've been noticing it is substituting right for left and vice versa even though the dictation is crystal clear. Also, it is substiting Mr. for Mrs. or Ms. and vice versa even though the dictation is crystal clear. As someone noted previously, it is still making blatant errors in numbers (ages, lab values, vital signs, etc.). These are only a few out of a zillion examples lately. I'm thinking that ASR is regress ...

ANP Transcription - Heads Up To Everyone Out There
Jul 17, 2010

Just wanted to give a heads up to everyone out there.  I have been working for ANP Transcription out of New York for three months now and will NEVER work for them again.  They push, push, push for work to get done but can't seem to send out paychecks on time.  I have had to call and email each month.  Mysteriously, my very first paycheck didn't make the check run and my second check I was told was mailed out on July 9, but I have yet to receive that one, too. ...

Heads Up On Teletype Anyone?
Aug 16, 2010

nm ...

Webmedx Heads Up!
Oct 10, 2010

This was such an important message I felt it needed to have it's own post.  It kind of got lost below in the thread.  Anyone who is going through this type of situation can really benefit from this information - I know it was powerful salve for my heart.  Thank you for posting this Former Manager.    Cause for concern at any company - sm - Former Manager Posted: Oct 9th, 2010 - 9:01 am In Reply to: WMX bloodletting - eaMost MTSOs of any decent size at all have pr ...

Yale-NH MTs HEADS UP
Nov 22, 2011

Epic is coming to Yale-NH very soon.  They've posted lots of Epic jobs on their website. MTs working this account prepare yourselves to be slaughtered. Epic came to our account and we are now producing less than 100 lines per day. EMR is mandated to be in place in ALL HOSPITALS, DOCTOR'S OFFICES AND CLINICS by 2015. MTs have rounded to corner to the end. ...

Warning/Heads Up To
Oct 01, 2012

If you have one of those accounts where they want all medication allergies capitalized, note that DQS 7.1 DOES NOT pick up all-cap typos/misspells.  This would include typos in the physical exam as well if the subheadings are all caps, but the medication one is more critical. Geeeeeeez.  Just when you think you're sailing along...   ...

Heads Up To Anyone In Houston, TX -
Jan 22, 2015

I just came across a job on CareerBuilder.com for an on-site pathology transcriptionist at Orion Healthcorp - M-F 8-5 paying $18-$22 an hour!!! I would be applying myself, but I live in PA :-(  Almost sounds too good to be true!  Just thought I would pass it along to anyone looking in that area.   ...

Heads Up To The MT's Being Picked To Death. Sm
Dec 11, 2009

Hi folks, I'm an MME and just want to know that I don't like picking your reports to death.  When I have to correct a report, I usually leave comments to help you along.  However, we were told that if anything is missing from the ADT screen, or if we see 1 little mistake, we have to review the whole report.  If the ADT screen is correct, then, unless you're on 100%, we just correct where the QA marker is.  I can't tell you how many times the date of s ...

Heads Up. Everybody's Credentials Need To Be Verified. Saw On
Dec 29, 2009

the news that a new company has sprung up fabricating resumes to give those folks with no experience some experience and education.  All those claiming to be CMTs need to be checked.  Word has it, this too is going on along with some name changing to confuse the issue. ...

Heads Up For South Region
May 14, 2011

If any of you were low on work before, its going to get lower.  A big hospital just started to send some of their work to India. ...

Precision Transcription -- A Heads Up
Aug 03, 2013

I just noticed on another board that this company posted an ad and I wanted to give those of you thinking about applying for the company a heads up.  I worked for the company for a short period of time.  I believe she will hire newbies to MT which is a positive.  However, there is "no pooling of the work types."  There are accounts that are both straight typing and VR, and since straight pays more, you have more people doing that than the VR work.  There are also, what I ...

I Am So Ticked I Could Bite The Heads Of Nails Off
Oct 17, 2009

I just got through with my 8 hours for the day. I could have worked longer, there was work left and my company does not mind. We are behind on discharge summaries but I am blowing steam out of my ears. I am old enough to quit this job and have I ever been thinking about it today. I have had people dicating for doctors who are ESLs themselves!! I was told not to change their verbs and such, leave as is. That grates on my last nerve. I have had people chomping gum in my ears, how rude is that? Did ...

HEADS UP! DQS Down For A Short Time Tonight!
Jun 01, 2011

Just got the e-mail that DQS is going down at 9:00 p.m. EST tonight for about 20 minutes. Don't lose your work!! ...

Just A Heads Up That Tomorrow Or Tuesday Is EIDS.
Nov 06, 2011

s ...

Just A Heads Up To Avast Antivirus Users
Jan 04, 2015

They did an update that wont allow Fluency to run. Called tech support took about 10 minutes to fix, but that is 10 minutes wasted.. ...

I Think The Company Heads That Merge With Transcend Are Lied To As Well. Sm
Nov 25, 2009

I did not blame the company I worked for for selling out to Transcend as I figured they were told the same thing we were told, which was that nothing would change and their transcriptionists would be treated fairly.  I think when things do change you can't blame your old company for that since they are probably surprised by it all just like you are. ...

Code Blue
Oct 15, 2009

It is transcribed Code Blue or code blue?  Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Code Blue, CODE BLUE, Or Code Blue?
Mar 16, 2010

Thanks for help.  Brain doesn't seem to be working this morning ...

Medication S/l Blue + E + Moo
Mar 22, 2010

The doctor is prescribing a cream for a Baker cyst and inflammation on the thigh.  It sounds like "Blue + E + Moon".... Any ideas?  ...

Kyphan Blue
Jun 08, 2010

kyphan blue was injected into eye ...

Blue Fin Stirrups
Dec 17, 2010

anybody ever heard of "blue fin stirrups" in GYN OP?  says plain as day, is not saying yellofin.  tks The patient was taken to the operating room where she was placed in the dorsal lithotomy position using Blue Fin stirrups.   ...

Blue Tooth Headse
Sep 15, 2010

Does anybody use a blue tooth headset for MTing? Considering trying to use one and wondered how it worked. Thanks, any help is appreciated. ...

True Blue Transcription
Jan 24, 2011

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a new company called True Blue Transcription.  I didn't find much when searching for them.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Blue Star Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

Does anybody have info on Blue Star Transcription?  Are they reputable, do they pay on time?  I can't find anything in the Archives.  Thanks. ...

Lymph-a-serian Blue??
Mar 12, 2011

Has anybody heard of this or know the correct spelling?  It's in relation to a breast biopsy with needle localization.   Thanks! ...