A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Certification exams - meggy

Posted: Mar 08, 2012

I'm seriously considering going to school for coding and have started to make plans accordingly.  This isn't a big question, but one my husband brought up:  Do you take the certification exams online or do you have to travel to a facility to take them?  Do you take the exams through your school or through the agency doing the certification?  Thanks in advance.

CCS is done at Pearson VUE testing centers - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
All the details are at the AHIMA site, under the "certification" tab.

You can go to pearsonvue/ahima to find out exact locations.

Check the AAPC site to find out about the CPC.

Maybe I need to take a break from this place. It took me exactly 2 minutes to find out the above info.

Not meant personally, OP.

//cranky researcher

Sorry. Thank you for your time. NM - meggy

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I agree with you. You do need to take a break because it was a - Good Question

[ In Reply To ..]
There's nothing wrong with asking a question like that. If you don't want to answer, don't. Someone else will or will at least suggest where the answer may be found.

I hope we have more questions like that on here, and helpful answers from people with good attitudes and who have had enough sleep so that they aren't so critical of those asking the questions.

It doesn't matter just how brilliantly you answer the question if your answer is insulting or demeaning. Yes, please take a break. Come back when you are rested and have a more gracious attitude.

Yep, a valid question. - Grumpy Researcher

[ In Reply To ..]
My point is that there was a quick and easily located answer for her if she had researched on her own.

Given the recent threads here, I'm beginning to wonder if people are understanding the nature of what coders do. Coding requires a different skill set from MT. Coders are researchers and readers. It's not going to be a good fit for every MT out there if they don't like to research on their own.

I wish the OP well in whatever she decides to do.

//Grumpy McGrumperson, over and out
"Wha?" not "grr!"
This is a friendly, supportive - Site
[ In Reply To ..]
Where these questions are naturally asked. Once they get an idea from someone who has been there, they will go on and dig in and get the information that is important to them. Point the way, but don't make people feel bad for asking questions, please. Thank you. Do not answer if you don't want to take the time and then make them feel bad for making you answer and taking your time!
Everybody can have a bad day. Give grumpy a break too. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
We all get grumpy occasionally.
Okay - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Cert Eams in a Nutshell - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
The whole cert thing can be confusing. There are so many choices now.

New coders should plan on getting at least a CPC. It is very helpful in job hunting to have the CCS, as well. That helps you overcome employers' reluctance to hire if you have no experence.

Those are the "traditional" or old-standby certifications. There are newer ones like the CPC-H, CCA, and CCS-P, but I do not recommend aiming for those first. They are either more limited in scope or employers are less famliar with them. You will get more out of the CPC and CCS.

AHIMA exams are offered by Pearson VUE. You can look online to see if there is a test center near you. They are computerized.

AAPC exams are paper & pencil. Local AAPC chapters host them. You can look on the AAPC website to see if there is a chapter near you. They will have educational meetings about once a month. You should plan on attending a few to get a feel for things. They are a good source of jobs.

Schools do not usually offer AAPC exams, although an AAPC exam might be held AT a school by a local chapter. Schools will not hold AHIMA exams. This is important because we have seen some programs that say or imply that they offer cert exams. This sounds convenient and may make you think that it is advantageous or that the school will make sure you pass. However the certification and certifying organization are not recognized in the industry, so you will have wasted your time and money. Tech colleges often offer something like that. There were posts about that in January or February.

Should you plan on being certified? Yes. It is not an option in coding. There are valid compliance reasons for employers needing to have credentialed employees. It is not a political issue as it has been in MT.

Should you plan on certifying through both AHIMA and AAPC? Yes. If you have certifications from both, you will be appealing to an employer no matter which organization the emloyer prefers or feels best represents the abilities required for the job.

Thank you so much for your help and advice. - meggy

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought it was a simple question but I see now that it wasn't. I appreciate your taking the time to provide such a comprehensive answer. Happily, I live within a 30-minute drive from both a local AAPC chapter and a Pearson VUE testing center, assuming I get through the course, LOL!

On getting through the course. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
IWhen you say getting through the course, it sounds as though you think it is going to be nearly impossible. People learn and become successful in coding every day. It isn't for everybody, but if you are already an MT you have a very good chance of success. Better than average, in fact, because you have to be smart to do MT and you already know a lot of the material like the language, record and report content, and how medical care happens.

Getting through a course CAN be a problem at some types of schools. Poor schools, schools with completely online teaching modules, schools with no instructors, schools with instructors who are not successful working coders or who are "invisible" presences behind the screen of software, schools that keep cancelling necessary courses due to low enrollment or inability to find an instructor, schools with constant access problems on their online site, schools that employ impossible courses as gatekeepers to keep students out of programs. (They either bore you into quitting or flunk you out.)

Not all programs teach the same thing, so be careful before you enroll. If you enroll in a CCA or CPC program, that is fine if you understand the type of work that will be available to you, but do not expect to pass the CCS with it. Be careful about making a tradeoff in course content for cost thinking you will be able to fill in the difference yourself because that is unlikely. Be careful about thinking you will be the exception to the rule in programs that have low exam pass rates because it is not likely.

A good attitude toward yourself, willingness to do the work required to learn coding, and making an informed choice of programs will help you finish and become successfully employed.
Thanks for your input. I'm just a little - meggy
[ In Reply To ..]
nervous about going back to school. I graduated college in '87 and haven't had a course, other than a seminar here and there, in years. On the other hand, I do like research, I love data, and I'm anxious to learn something new and to get out of the house. I love medicine and the language of medicine, but I don't think I have it in me to do much face-to-face contact with patients, although I have done so in the past. I used to love MT because I learned something new every day, but I'm either just not learning anything new or I'm just bored. I need something more challenging.

I have followed the posts on here for a while and most people seem to have success with Andrews, so I will probably enroll with them.

The cost of the program doesn't bother me much. If I'm going to do something, I want to go about it the right way to maximize my chances of success. I have done some salary research at various sites and even as an entry-level coder I can make twice what I am making now as an MT, even if I go with the lowest figure I've found, which I think was 29k annually. It shouldn't take me much time to recoup my costs if I can get even a part-time coding job. I keep visiting the web sites of the hospitals in my area, and I do see coding jobs on their sites, so that is another thing that is encouraging me.

With my present workflow so erratic, I think I'm at a good point to go back to school and still continue to work my MT job. I really have nothing standing in my way at this point, except getting my hubby on board. He wants me to set up a couple of informational interviews just to be certain this is where I want to go with my career. I just have to stop procrastinating and pursue that angle.
If you have been out since 87 - More recent student
[ In Reply To ..]
I would not worry about being out of school since 87. You bring a lot of life learning to the student desk. It is not as though your brain stops learning. That may have been what people believed years ago, but not today.

If you go with a college program, though, be prepared for a shock. Courses are online and involve almost no instructor interaction. No lectures. Little assistance with questions. Lots of busywork intended to take the place of that. You will be on your own.

You are correct about coding income being higher. Also consider that if you decide on a college program that may take 3 years part time instead of a progrm that can be completed in 1 year, you should add the LOST income for 2 years to the cost of school.

Whn you talk to people in the field, you are going to get advice from college-trained coders and HIM sorts that will suggest going to a 2 year AA program in HIT. This is especially true if there is one in your area. That is what they believe you have to do--period. They do not see any other option. That is what they did and so should you.

There is a better option for you that few AHIMA program graduates are aware of. Since you have a college degree, you qualify to do a postbaccalaureate certificate in health information administration that will enable you to sit for the RHIA exam. You can do anything in HIM with that, including code.

Some of those programs are several years long, but I recommend the one at the Univ of Toledo. It is affordable and only about a year.

You could do that instead of coding. You would take coding as part of that anyway.

You could also learn coding first, get certified in that, and then do the RHIA program. You would not have any trouble with the coding in the RHIA program and you might be able to test out of that and some other courses. (I have heard of some Andrews students who did that at different colleges.)

Just suggesting this so you do not get misplaced in an RHIT program if you already have a bachelors degree. It is faster and better to do the RHIA postbac at UT. The job market is better, and for coding becomes exceptional.

Your choices are

Coding (?Andrews) = CPC CCS

BA plus postbac at UT = RHIA

Coding then postbac = RHIA CCS CPC

That last combination leads to some really good jobs. A lot of remote coding and consultant positions want to see that.

You may hear that with your bachelors you can qualify for the RHIA by doing an RHIT program. That is no longer an option. It was eliminated about ten years ago.

Wow. That's a lot to think about. - meggy
[ In Reply To ..]
My plan was to initially become a coder, with the thought in the back of my head that I could eventually do something more down the line in HIM if the opportunity was there and I found it interesting. My thinking was that perhaps my employer would pay for any additional education I might need.

I don't think I would touch my local community college with a 10-foot pole. I used to be a dental assistant in another state, but I didn't have any credentials and would need some in this state. I am also pretty rusty. I went to an open house at my CC to see if I could enroll in their two-year program. Despite the fact that I had graduated with a BA with honors and had nearly enough credits for a double major (Psych and English), they still required me to take 18 credits in freshman classes before they would even allow me to apply to the program, and there was no guarantee of getting in. This was last year and they wouldn't even consider me until 2013. And that was true for all of the allied health programs in that CC. I haven't even bothered to look into a HIM program there. There are a lot of good 4-year schools here, but they're expensive.

Thanks for warning me what I might be up against in my informational interviews; I hadn't considered that they would try to talk me into a two-year program.
They will definitely try to talk you into it. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
They will definitely try to sell you on a 2-year program because that is usually all they know about.

Keep in mind that some do not have a clear understanding of the certification requirements. They remember what they had to do years ago and stick to that. If they tell you that you must attend an AHIMA-accredited program for coding or you can't take the certification exam, that is incorrect. There is an accredited-HIT program for the 2-year degree leading to RHIT, but there is no school requirement for the CCS or CCS-P.

If you check what they tell you here with us, you'll be ok.

I think the main thing to remember is that you want to see the kinds of jobs available in your community. Right now, you might not believe that there ARE jobs or that you could qualify for them. Rest assured that there ARE lots of jobs and you CAN qualify for them by doing the things we have talked about here.

We have 3 AAPC local chapters in my area. That is a lot of coders. There are more still who are not affiliated with the AAPC and some who are not affiliated with any organization. Last time I attended a meeting locally, there were 40 or 50 coders there. Some worked for local physician groups affiliated with two large hospitals, some for a very large clinic, and some who worked for the hospitals themselves. My facility alone has 30 or 40 coders in several different types of jobs--I gave up trying to count the exact number. If the other 2 local chapters met on the same night, they would have had more people in attendance (they're larger). And that's not counting the ones who stayed home.
I think I would be better off going to some - meggy
[ In Reply To ..]
AAPC chapter meetings to get a broader view of the job/field/opportunities than one or two individuals in the hospitals in my area. Do you have to be a member to attend? Obviously, I would join AAPC once I committed to coding for sure.
AAPC - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
You do not need to be a member to attend the meetings. If you decide to join before you are actually working (if you decide this is what you want), you can obtain a student membership in AAPC at a reduced rate, check out their website, good luck.
The only negative about anything AAPC is there are some really bad schools - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
There are some horrible schools "affiliated with" AAPC. They make all sorts of claims. I've nothing against AAPC at all, but you can get some inferior training if you aren't careful.
I went to an AAPC meeting and they were very helpful. - MTLC
[ In Reply To ..]
The chapter president even had me give my email to the secretary and put me on the mailing list. I get emails about upcoming meetings and even job openings. I am not a member of AAPC.

I am definitely going to attend some. NM - meggy
[ In Reply To ..]
:-)
You do not need to be a member to attend some meetings - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
They will welcome you. Email the contact person to explain who you are. Be sure to ask how early you should arrive to have a chance to chat with members. Ask if they know anyone whom you could shadow for a few hours or who could give you a tour of what they do.

That's a great idea. The next mtg is next - meggy
[ In Reply To ..]
week. I noticed the topic is radiology coding and offers continuing ed credits. I was thinking of emailing the contact person to see if there would be a more appropriate meeting to attend or if I should just show up at that one.
That is the meeting to attend - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
That is definitely the meeting to attend.

Just email to let them know you plan to attend so they will be sure to look after you.
Will do. Thanks! NM - meggy
[ In Reply To ..]
:-)
Very good. We will look forward to hearing about your - Adventure NM
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Exams
Sep 18, 2010

I have a question that I hope is being posted to the correct forum.  This question is  for anyone who has taken a final  transcription exam to complete your course with the online school you attended.  Were you allowed to see your transcription exam after it had been graded, whether it was a pass or fail?  If you failed, were you allowed to have the transcription portion of the exam back so that you could review your errors?  Does anyone know if it's standard p ...

Not Passing Exams
Dec 15, 2009

I just did my final exam and did not pass. I got a 98% on the written and 82% on the practical. What happens if you do not pass (after alotted tries)? Can I still work in a clinic or doctor doing transcription or is all my training a big waste?? ...

Two Physical Exams?
Apr 19, 2010

I transcribing a dictation where "physical examination" was already dictated after the history of present illness and before the past medical history.  Now she's dictated it again after the review of systems.  Is it possible that the first one should have gone under the history of present illness heading?  Also, in her review of systems, she numbers each heading...should I transcribe it as such or leave the numbers out? ...

CMT & CHDS Exams--They Don't Help U Get A Job
Mar 08, 2014

I don't think I am surprising anyone with the observation that CHDS or CMT credentials don't help you get a job. I have applied at several companies and I don't even get a courtesy of a response--even from companies that say they "care if you are certified." The bottom line for the companies is to pay the lowest you can and quality doesn't matter. No surprise here. ...

Just Received An Message From A Professor Regarding Coding Exams.
Mar 28, 2014

The following is the summation of a message I just received from one of my professors, the HIT department chair, regarding upcoming coding exams.  This is just an FYI for those of you scheduled or scheduling your exams.   Coding Certification Exams - Contact your test centers  If anyone is signed up for any of the coding certification exams, they have been delayed for about 30 days.  Be sure to review the information below and contact your test center. The coding exams hav ...

SURVEY: Name Your Coding School, And If You Passed The AAPC Or AHIMA Exams!!
May 09, 2010

this may help so many of us. Name your school that you got your coding education from.   Name which organization you sat for certification exam and if you passed OR how many times it took you to pass!   Thanks ...

MT Certification Help!
Mar 07, 2010

I have set my goal to become certified after being a transcriptionist for 5 years. I wondered if anyone knew of any good study guide or books that may have helped them? I have been to ADHI and they have a monthly course I was considering. ...

CMT Certification
Mar 31, 2010

Just talked to sup and was informed that MTs who get certified will make a whopping half cent per line more!  ..... ROFL ...

Certification?
Apr 27, 2010

I took online coding program years ago as well as an MT program.  I decided to go into MT but am wanting to start back up with coding again.  Is it worth it to do another coding program or to pursue a certification?  I'm not sure the money I'd need to spend would really justify either.  I've been doing a lot of research and while certification is preferred, it's not always a requirement in job descriptions.  Thanks ...

Certification Or Not?
Aug 19, 2010

With all the news about AHDI MT certifications and such, is anyone not certified taking steps to get certified? I find this very frustrating. I have been in the business 15 years and have leared on the job. Not sure what to do? ...

Certification
Aug 11, 2014

Ok my certification is due in a few months and I'm tired of paying dues to Recertify.  I feel it is not benefitting me at all.  I haven't had a pay raise in years and I'm getting extremely frustrated.  Any advice appreciated! ...

RHIT Certification
Jan 05, 2010

Looking at college courses at the local community college, I figure I am two semesters away from an associates degree and ability to be RHIT certified.  Are you guys certified?  Is there online work for coding?  Is the pay decent?  In your opinion, is this a good move to make?  ...

Is CMT Certification Worth It?
Feb 14, 2010

What are your feelings about obtaining your CMT credentials when VR (at least with my employer) doesn't follow BOS or acknowledge the styles, forms and practices that, at one time were the norm? I get blown away with sentence structure and grammar these days.  Do you think one should become certified with the latest trend with VR?  Seems to me "No", not worth it, unless I moved on to a company who did not use VR. But, then again, if this is the trend hospitals and companies a ...

Why Does Certification Cost So Much?
Aug 23, 2010

I'm eligible to sit for the CMT and the RHIT and both exams are over $200 to take. It feels like I'm buying credentials! Why are these certification exams so much money to take and keep up! It's ridiculous! What do you pay for? ...

Certification Requirements
Oct 26, 2010

I am curious about whether one has to have a certain amount of experience in coding before you can take the CCA or CCs certification exam.  I have had 20 years of A&P and know a considerable amount about disease process.  I have been studying coding on my own for about a year now.  I know that your chances for passing the test are better if you have been in the coding business for several years, but has anyone out there taken the CCS just by studying and utilizing their life e ...

Considering Pursuing MT Certification
Dec 13, 2010

Hello, I am looking for some input. I have been a veterinary technician for several years and am very well versed in medical terminology as I have published and lectured. I am looking for a change and MT appeals to me for many reasons. My main concern is being unable to find a job after completing certification for I have no contacts and have heard of "newbies" having a hard time finding work. Obviously I do not want to spend money only to find no way in afterwards. Does anyone know of progra ...

Certification Required?
Jan 04, 2011

Do I have to be certified to do medical transcription? Do companies hire without it? ...

Question About CMT Certification
Jun 02, 2011

Hi all, I have been a transcriptionist for right at 6 years.  I have been thinking about certification, but wondered if I should do it.  The only problem I see in obtaining it is my experience.  I have basically been doing clinic work with my company and a little acute care, but not much else.  I know that pay wise, it really doesn't seem to help having the credential and I think that is a true shame, because I know the MTs who do have the credential have worked very ha ...

Mandatory Certification?
Jan 14, 2012

I was told by someone who attended a recent ICD-10 academy (for trainers) that the OIG is requiring all (current) coders to be certified by the October, 2013, ICD-10 implementation date.  I am aware of the OIG's compliance guidelines, but nowhere in that document do I find anything about mandatory certification. Also, I am not sure if they meant certified in ICD-9 or 10, but it is my understanding that the last ICD-9 CCS/CCS-P exam will be given in March, 2013, and at this point nobod ...

Passed The CPC-H Certification!
Sep 25, 2012

I just got my results in the mail from AAPC that I passed the certification exam for CPC-H! I have been an MT for decades and when my last in-house MT job was outsourced, I decided I'd better get moving on to coding. Coding is very difficult and I had quite a time completing the online CPC-H course offered by AAPC. I started in the Spring and just got certified. I want all the MTs out there to know that terminology, A&P are helpful to already know! It was not easy to get this certificat ...

CBCS Certification?
Mar 05, 2013

My junior college offers (in partnership with Gatlin Education, now called ed2go) an online coding and billing course that prepares one for the certified billing and coding specialist certification, offered by the National Healthcareer Association.  That's a new one on me.  They also have a program that leads to the CCS, but they caution that it is not an entry level program and is designed for people who are already coding.  Can anyone tell me yes or no about this CBCS ...

Coding Certification
Mar 24, 2014

Now that it has become evident that M*Modal is willing to utilize uncertified coders, do you suppose other employers will follow suit in not requiring their coders to hold certifiications?  Will this become a trend?  Why or why not? ...

CCS CERTIFICATION EXAM
May 05, 2015

Can someone tell me how many questions there are that pertain to medical terminology, A and P, etc as opposed to actual coding questions on the CCS coding certification test? I am an MT, have basic knowledge of terminology, but there are so many new terms that I must learn, not to mention the A and P section.  I do the lessions, do the chapter review tests, take the weekly exams and do well, but I do not think I am retaining too much after I test.     The coding tests, however, ...

Docuscribe Training And Then Certification?
Oct 20, 2009

Recruiter said after training you take some sort of certification test which goes in for scoring.  I assume this is just to make sure you understand how to use the Docuscribe program.  Is this correct?  ...

Medical Billing Certification
Nov 09, 2010

In looking for a change - does anyone know of a Medical Billing Certification class you can take on line. Since, being gone from MQ I was able to get a job as an ROI Specialist, but I found out medical billers - make pretty good money. Yes coders even more. But for me I just think I want the medical billing certification.       ...

Medical Transcription Certification
Mar 02, 2011

Does any one know if certification is going to be required for all MTs?  Did ADHI pass the ruling on this?  If so, is there a deadline? ...

RHIT Courses/certification
Jul 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would care to comment on the RHIT associates degree course at College of DuPage?  Does it prepare  you well for the RHIT certification exam?  Is it a good preparation for the RHIA program you later pursued (I am thinking of University of Illinois-Chicago)?  I am an 18-year transcription veteran hoping to become a coder and then possibly a Direction of HIM eventually.  ANY help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in Ad ...

Coding School And Certification
May 04, 2012

I am presently training in a new position at a physician's office.  I will be doing coding and billing.  I have coded in the past but I would like to go to school and become certified.  Can anyone please direct me in a good program rather on line or in the middle Tennessee area?  I have been an MT since 1986 and sadly this is a dying art.  Thank you. ...

Online MT Courses For Certification....
Jun 14, 2012

Does anyone know if there are any online MT courses for certification that have financial aid?  Most of the ones I have come across so far have no financial aid, want payment up front, or want at least 200/month payment, which I cant do.  I was a MT for about 10 years, got out of it for a couple of years, and cannot seem to get a job now that I would like to return to it, so thought getting certified would help.  With our financial state though, I cannot afford a big payment of an ...

Certification Exam Requirements
Aug 06, 2012

At the present time . . . AHIMA *coding* credentials (CCS, CCS-P) REQUIRE a high school diploma.  That is all.  AAPC coding credentials (the CPC, CPC-H, and CPC-P) REQUIRE 2 years experience coding that specialty.   You may sit the exam prior to that and will receive the credential in "Apprentice" status until you have satisfied the experience requirement.  One year of the required 2 years can be satisfied by attending a course that meets certain requirements.  I am aw ...