A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

was just offered 5cpl @ Sten-Tel - laughable

Posted: Mar 20, 2013

Since I don't live in India, I told her that is not even a living wage for anyone in the USA and good luck finding anyone.  Jeez...and when it got down to 6 and 7 I thought that was the all time low!  Hope the rest of you will let them know that no one can live on that.  You would think 20+ years should account for something!

For straight transcription??? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

yes, and 2 cpl for VR - like I said, laughable!

[ In Reply To ..]
JUST SAY NO!

Been there. It's impossible IMO to make even min wage with that. - anna

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for awhile at a job that paid 3 CPL for editing. Even with the speed at 140% (that was the max it would let me do), with the voice rattling at the speed of sound, I couldn't get more than about $9/hr at 3CPL editing. 2CPL sounds like, well, torture or slave labor, you choose. I'd rather be the guy out on the street corner with the Statue of Liberty costume on and the "Taxes done here" sign.

uh oh - good worker

[ In Reply To ..]
The scary thing about that is if they do find people that accept this lower pay the other MTSO's will jump on the bandwagon. I sense another decrease in pay coming soon.

That's their normal rate - Outofmymindyo

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, that's Sten-Tel's normal rates, no matter your experience. Even as a newbie I refused that rate 5 years ago and I find it hard to believe they can actually keep anyone working for them at those rates. Their VR is anywhere from 2-3 cpl as well.

They will find someone, but it will be a newbie - and they will not be very good

[ In Reply To ..]
They'll get what they pay for.

Sten-Tel - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it depends what account, I talked to someone from Stentel and she said it was 6.5 - 7 cpl. Another account she told me about was 5 cpl. Not that 7 cpl is a lot, but it seems to be what everyone else is paying.

not if we refuse to work for less than - 8 cpl which is still bad!

[ In Reply To ..]
but at least you can still make a living. if at all possible, we ALL must band together and refuse to work for the low rate. I realize sometimes you have to do what you have to do, but if you can, politely refuse and tell them 8 cpl is your MINIMUM. If enough of us do that, the rates will go up...they'll have to!

If you refuse, they will ALWAYS find someone who will do it. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I found a job that only pays 7 cpl, but I LOVE the job! I make shortcuts for EVERYTHING and make my own templates and I usually can type at least 300 lines per hour by doing that. That makes me average around 21 bucks an hour and I don't think that is "slave wage" by any means. Even a person who only types 200 lines per hour, that is $14 bucks an hour. The MTSOs are NOT going to just jump the pay up, so it's time we find our own shortcuts or ways to make more, sad reality, but true.

Similar Messages:

Medical INK Corp. Another One At 3.5cpl And 7.5cpl
Mar 17, 2014

Knowing the business for 35 years and still thinking it is okay to pay MTs 7.5 cpl to USE them to teach the VR Dragon for 30 days and then drop you down to 3.5 cpl and double the linecount?  Long term career?  Oh, owner was an MT.  Makes one feel warm and cozy...not. ...

5cpl With 2cpl Being Charged For Work Being Sent To QA
Jun 01, 2011

I'm a new MT and just got an offer for an IC position. The pay is 5cpl but any work with blanks or if any questions need to be sent to QA, 2cpl will be charged. I'm new, of course I'm going to have questions! Is this what I can expect in the MT world or is this pay rate just ridiculously low? Thanks in advance for any input! ...

Globespan In Calif. Wants IC At 5cpl. Who Can Live In Calif On That?
Feb 01, 2013

Oh, they don't outsource!  You also have to have your own computer, foot pedal and Express Scribe program...oh, they will send and receive.  Is prostitution legal in California..don't know all the laws from state-to-state.  Better Google that. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me What Sten Tel Is?
Nov 12, 2009

I am looking for a new transcription job and some of them say the use sten tel.  How does that work?  Is that something I would need to get a long-distance phone plan for or buy something? ...

Sten-Tel-anyone??
Mar 23, 2012

If anyone is currently an IC with them or was recently, please respond.  I'd like to know just how much I'm being screwed! TIA ...

Sten Tel Help...
May 26, 2012

My wife works for Sten Tel as a MT/ME. Her laptop died yesterday. Are there any Sten Tel employees here who can give me some info? We went computer shopping today and everything new is 64 bit. We thought Sten Tel required computers be 32 bit??? Anyone  have info on this subject??   Thanks,   Jeff Billings, Montana ...

Sten-Tel ICs
Jan 14, 2014

Anyone else not able to log in for the last 6 hours? I'm on the ASP platform and it's been down most of the day. No choice when calling for tech support either which makes me very paranoid. Paychecks are supposed to be sent out tomorrow. ...

Anybody Work For Sten-Tel? 
May 20, 2010

Anybody work for Sten-Tel?  Tell me the good and the bad.  My sister started out there as a newbie and has had trouble getting work.  They are hiring now and offering their ICs a bonus for referrals.  I have 5 years experience.  How is their pay?  Is it a lot of VR?  Is there enough work? ...

Sten-Tel - Be Carefull All!
Jul 21, 2010

Stay away, Stay away, Stay away!!! I was hired as hourly QA full-time. After quitting my job I was told I had to train as an MT for a week or so, only doing 10 jobs a day. Sometimes I could not get even that many! Over a month went by and still was not trained as QA with the statement my quality was not good for stuff like an extra space, missing comma, etc, then my pay was reduced by 72 cents an hour! I have been in this business over 20 years and never had a quality problem anyway, besides if ...

Sten-Tel Rates
Feb 25, 2011

i am thinking of applying to Sten-Tel.  Does anyone know what their current pay rate is for Tanscription/VR for experienced MTs?   Thanks, Mely ...

Sten-Tel Remote QA
Mar 31, 2011

Anybody having a lack of QA work? ...

Sten-Tel - Can You Believe This Compensation?
Mar 13, 2012

Sten-Tel has add on MTJobs.  Can you believe this compensation?  I hope they have NO replies.  " Starting rate ranges: 5–6 cents per transcribed line; 2-3 cents per edited line." ...

Sten-Tel - 5-6 Cpl 3rd Shift
Jul 11, 2012

Who wants to fight me for this position....5-6 cpl 3rd shift??? Come on...for real? ...

Sten-Tel Has The Lowest Pay I Have Ever Seen
Jul 12, 2012

Their email just informed me of their awesome pay - 5 to 6 cpl for straight transcription and 2 to 3 cpl for editing.  Oh, and this is working as an IC during the night shift.  This is shameful.  You should be ashamed of yourselves, Sten-Tel!  If you actually make 2 cpl doing VR, you would have to edit 400 lines in an hour just to make 8 bucks an hour.  Does anyone actually work for you?   ...

Sten-Tel Has The Lowest Pay I've Ever Seen
Aug 12, 2013

They pay 2-3/12 cents per line for VR without spaces!!! OMG!  Why bother even testing for them?!?! ...

Sten-Tel Of Massachusetts
Jan 08, 2014

Hi All, I just wanted to give everybody a word of warning about Sten-Tel of Massachusetts.  You should avoid them if possible.  Their pay is low, they are extremely picky and the one check that I finally got from them was wrong.  The cherry on top is that they are not the nicest people I've ever dealt with either.  Just thought I'd try to save somebody else the bad experience. ...

Nuance Or Sten Tel
Jan 23, 2015

I'm a recent grad from Med-Line School, and I got a fairly encouraging phone call from Sten Tel in Mass.  However, almost immediately after that came a call from a Nuance recruiter. He was pretty hardcore, to the point of being off-putting, so I agreed to the testing portion. I know beginners can't be choosers, but Nuance seems pretty intense for a newbie. Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject? I'm looking for experience, not cpl, so I'm not considering the pay in ...

Sten-Tel - Always Had Problem With Enough Work
Jan 14, 2010

I have worked for Sten Tel for many years but have always had a problem getting enough work. I love it there but can never get enough work and was wondering if anyone else who worked for them had the same problem???? ...

Sten-Tel -Work Available Consistently?
Jun 29, 2010

I am considering taking a position with Sten-Tel (based in Massachusetts). I want to work full time, but I am wondering if anyone knows if there is consistent work available? Are there days when you aren't able to get any work? Any feedback would be helpful! ...

Information About Sten-Tel Or Work There?
Aug 05, 2010

Does anyone have any information about Sten-Tel or work there?  TY! ...

Any Information On Sten-Tel Out Of Springfield, MA
Aug 18, 2010

Can anyone give me any information on Sten-Tel out of Springfield, MA.  Platform, work availability, flexibility, pay, etc. Thanks. ...

Anybody Working For Sten-Tel/Catuogno?
Apr 14, 2011

Anybody working as remote QA for this company? They are based in MA.  What can you say about this company? ...

Sten-Tel - Legal Transcription ?
Apr 18, 2011

Does anyone work for Sten Tel doing legal transcription? I am starting with them this week and was just wondering if it was a good place to work for?  I am an IC and they said I could work as much as I want.  Is there always work? Do they give raises of any kind?  I am doing my training session with them on Thursday and am just a little nervous. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

Typing For Sten-Tel In Springfield, MA?
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone currently typing for Sten-Tel in Springfield, MA? ...

Does Anyone Have Recent Info On Sten-Tel
May 03, 2012

Does anyone have recent info on Sten-Tel.  How are they to work for? ...

Anybody Heard Of/worked For Echo Sten-Tel?
Jan 22, 2010

Heard anything, good or bad? Thanks. ...

Any New Good/bad Info On Sten-Tel? I Cannot Find Much.
May 08, 2010

This is Sten-Tel out of Springfield, MA.  Is the pay okay? Is there plenty of work?  How are the QA and management?  Any other information would be great too. Thank you. ...

Sten-Tel. Job Posting For An IC Position With Rates..sm
Oct 21, 2011

Sten-Tel has a posting on another board for an orthopedics account:  IC position, rates between 5 and 6.5 cpl.  It says it's a transcription account.  What the heck is going on in this industry?? ...

Sten-Tel Pays 2-3 Cents For VR And 5-6 For Transcription?
Aug 09, 2012

What a joke!  Sten-Tel pays 2-3 cents for VR and 5-6 for transcription?  I have been doing this for 25 years and that is simply ridiculous! ...

Apparently Sten-Tel Is Offering 2 Cpl For Editing And 5 Cpl For Transcription
Mar 22, 2013

. ...