A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Globespan in Calif. wants IC at 5cpl. Who can live in Calif on that? - anon

Posted: Feb 01, 2013

Oh, they don't outsource!  You also have to have your own computer, foot pedal and Express Scribe program...oh, they will send and receive.  Is prostitution legal in California..don't know all the laws from state-to-state.  Better Google that.

Maybe someone who lives in a cheaper cost of living state - will apply. Doesnt have to be Cali MT. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Good point. Maybe can live in India too..cheaper there. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Wonder where in the US you can live below minimum wage? North Dakota maybe.

Surely you jest. 5cpl is not a living wage in the US. - incredulous (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
nyet

I didnt say 5cpl was living wage. Said not all states have as - high a cost of living as Cali. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
But they don't have as low of a cost of living - as 5 cpl! nm
[ In Reply To ..]
/
It just occurred to me that I used to get really angry when...sm - Retired MT
[ In Reply To ..]
MTSOs would post an IC position for a ridiculous rate (back then 8 cents a line), not a living wage left after paying all your own taxes, then being required to work a very specific schedule to boot. Misclassification of employees as ICs is not new. What is new is that these misclassified IC MTs being contracted for 5 cents a line will not even make enough to pay the taxes that their "employers" are evading. What a shame!
Post makes no sense.Taxes are a % of whatever you - make, even if only $20.00. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I dont understand the last post - confused
[ In Reply To ..]
where are you that taxes are 0 %?
confused -- mis-read previous post - confused
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, federal taxes are a % of what you make, but social security taxes for an independent contractor are the regular social security taxes taken out of your paycheck as an employee + the matching amount that the employer pays for you. In other words if you are an IC, you will be paying double social security Tax, and the employee will not have to pay any social security Tax for you. I.E. your Usable income (total income - double social security Tax) will be significantly less, about 6% less than if you were employed. So,in that respect the employer that hires IC is "evading" taxes, if the way they use their IC's meets the federal guidelines.
oops, typo - confused and tired
[ In Reply To ..]
oops in my post above, I should have said the EMPLOYER will not have to pay any social security for you. You have to pay all the social security tax which I think is 12% of your income.
Dont forget. When IC pays employee's 6%, that 6% is - part of IC tax write-offs. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
no it's not.... - not all ICs can use
[ In Reply To ..]
tax write off's if they do not have enough to itemize and have to use the standard deduction. so we end up paying full ss tax and get nothing for it. we do not get a tax break for being IC....we actually end up paying more than employees do. So many people do not understand that not all of us have enough itemizations to be able to write off anything. it's not all that cut and dried. do not mislead.
YOU should not mislead. IC can deduct portion of elect., morgage, - water, trash, gas, etc SM
[ In Reply To ..]
ICs do not have just office supplies to deduct. Heck, if you are IC and pay for your own insurance, that can be written off. I wrote off 2 grand per kid for the "work" they did for me. There is absolutely no reason the IC cannot write off the employee part of SS tax. Sound like you, if you are an IC, need a good tax guy.
you can ONLY make these deductions if - your itemizations are HIGHER
[ In Reply To ..]
than the STANDARD deduction....many times they are NOT! I am fully aware of how much one can deduct and what...been an IC for a LONG time, but before I purchased my home, I did not have enough in deductions to be MORE than the STANDARDIZED deduction, and therefore could NOT. caprende?
IC should always be able to itemize more than standard - deduction. Again, get a good tax guy. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
s
With all deductions allowed, how can IC NOT have - more than standard deductions ? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
maybe because I won't "cheat" on - my taxes and lie about
[ In Reply To ..]
things I have or have not done. If you are "honest" about everything, you may not have enough deductions to be over the standardized deduction...i.e., do not have dependent children, do not have credit card debt, did not own home, i.e. office space and office equipment was not enough. So sometimes if you don't lie and cheat, you cannot meet standardized deductions. no health insurance. etc.
Dont own home, rent, utilities are still a deduction. I dont lie/cheat, - everything oked by tax man, up & up. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
And, oh yeah, tax man cost is a write off, too. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I dont cheat. I am just smart, taking advantage of all that - IRS says I can. You need a tax man. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Taking advantage is correct... - standard deduction is
[ In Reply To ..]
$7000. Without children as dependents, a spouse, or purchasing big ticket items like a home costing $300,000, and three vehicles, or having 10 credit cards all maxed out, lots of interest payments, just your "business expenses" would not add up to that amount of deduction. IRS says you can take all these deductions if, in fact, you HAD all those deductions. SOME don't. It doesn't mean these people are STUPID or need a better TAX man, it just means they are not "inflating" their deductions. and for those who think they are SMART because they are "allowed" to take these deductions, whether they have actually had "receipts" for these things they are claiming, I hope they get audited! Now stop arguing about it because just because YOU say YOU can do it, some others cannot. Not everybody has YOUR situation and that does not mean they are stupid or need a tax person who may be unscrupulous.
Send the IRS guy. My tax guy is not unscrupulous, - I have reciepts for everything, And you SM
[ In Reply To ..]
dont address utilities/rent as deductions. Why not, they are valid deductions. I have one car paid for, no credit card debt, in fact, no debt at all.

My tax guy requires everything I claim to be documented with paper, No problem. My deductions are legal and taken by millions across the country. Gosh, I am glad I am not so bitter. * (And glad I have a current/honest/diligent tax guy.
I could not possibly address - all of the deductions allowed
[ In Reply To ..]
but being so "tax-smart", you should know all of them anyway. You also did not mention if you had dependent children or a spouse to make your meeting your goals easier...single people are penalized just for simply being single. married/families have better deductions. Face it You do not know everything and your situation is entirely different from mine. I do not have "rent", I own a home/condo, utiliites are minimal and I do deduct them when I can. I deduct everything I possibly can and sometimes...SOMETIMES>.. still cannot exceed $7000 in standardized deduction for a single person with no dependents. Now I will not argue the subject any further with you because obviously you cannot comprehend anything beyond your particular situation and will not admit that you MAY possibly be wrong about anything! Now go back to work and drop the subject. I will no longer address nonsense! or someone with a god-like attitude who thinks they are they only one in the world who knows absolutely everything about everybody elses situation!!
To standard deduction poster sm. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I just wanted to point out that individuals cannot deduct credit card interest on taxes. That went away years ago. You obviously have not done your own taxes in a long time (maybe at least a decade or 2). If an accountant is deducting credit card interest, he is wrong. I'm talking individual tax returns. I haven't been an IC in years, but have done my own taxes for quite a long time.
Business expenses go on Schedule C not Schedule A - Standard deduction is for Sch A expenses only
[ In Reply To ..]
If you're an IC and think your business expenses go on Schedule A, you're wrong and cheating yourself.

Though if you haven't been filing a Schedule C, maybe you haven't been paying self-employment tax, either, in which case you're probably coming out money ahead overall -- but wrongly.
So glad I have a good tax guy and I dont have to keep - all this stuff straight. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I agree with some of this and disagree with some - ICManiac
[ In Reply To ..]
"not all ICs can use tax write off's if they do not have enough to itemize" I disagree with this statement. ICs report their income on Schedule C, which includes detailed expense reporting including everything from computer purchases to business use of home (which is detailed on another form but totaled here). No matter how small the expense, it goes on Schedule C for an independent contracting reporting income on a 1099.

"and have to use the standard deduction" I agree with this because for the IC, line 40, standard versus itemization deduction is the wrong place to claim business expenses.

"so we end up paying full ss tax" Yep, that part stinks big time.

"so many people do not understand that not all of us have enough itemizations to be able to write off anything. it's not all that cut and dry. do not mislead." I disagree with this statement in its totality as being inaccurate. I think you are confusing itemizing deductions for business by an IC using Schedule C with an employee who might choose to use Schedule C when they have huge personal expenses that would be greater than the standard deductions.

ICs take their business expenses directly off their income on Schedule C AND can claim standard deductions on line 40 on the 1040 return.
It has been my experience.... - that you CANNOT
[ In Reply To ..]
use BOTH schedule C and the standardized deduction! I have experienced this myself and know it to be a fact. Not confused, just experienced it first hand....although I will concede that at the time I experienced it, I was using TurboTax to do taxes, and now since using TaxAct to do taxes, I have not experienced this...maybe it was the software. Will not discuss this any further...can't beat a dead horse, although some absolutely try.
Not to beat a dead horse but - ICManiac
[ In Reply To ..]
I just underwent a line-by-line tax audit by the IRS for tax years 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. I prepared the returns myself, not using a tax professional. For one tax year, I even had to use two separate Schedule C forms because I was a statutory employee for some income and strictly IC for other income.

The IRS approved my reports without making any changes whatsoever. I claimed my business expenses on Schedule C and the standard deduction on line 40 of the 1040 form.

I'm not beating your dead horse, but if there are still any readers following this thread, this information could be helpful to them. My background is that I have worked for a CPA assistiing in preparation of tax returns. That is not to say I would now do anyone else's tax returns, but I think 5 years of self-filing returns holding up to the scrutiny of a line-by-line audit is validation that I did things correctly.
Said IC cant pay taxes if pd 5cpl. But that is wrong. IC - would pay a % of whatever SM
[ In Reply To ..]
IC made at 5 cpl. IC wouldnt be unable to pay taxes if she was making 5 cpl is wrong. She would pay a % of what she made on 5 cpl.
BUT she would also have to pay self-employment tax! - In addition to that percentage! nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
She will never have to pay more taxes than the income - she made. Not too complicated. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
"She will never have to pay more taxes than - the income she made>
[ In Reply To ..]
but will there be enough left to live on, is the question. and now taxes going up so probably not enough.
SE tax is separate, a couple thousand dollars, - in addition to percentage of income. Duh. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
ICs ALSO pay self-employment tax - No getting around it nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
TTS - Smitth
[ In Reply To ..]
I am currently working for TTS getting $0.0343 CPL, legalized slavery is what I call it.
That's insulting - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
No one is making you stay at TTS.

Seems to me you have freedom of choice, something slaves never had.

Similar Messages:

Looking For MTs From Fresno, Calif
Mar 16, 2015

In 1980s and 1990s I worked in Fresno with MTs whom I have been searching for.  Cannot find them maybe due to name change but if you worked in medical records at St Agnes during 1980s and 1990s (acute care) under supervisor with first name that starts with an "R", please contact me.  We worked well together and I am looking for MTs in acute care right now for contract which requires direct referrals.     ...

Anyone Know Salary For In House Pathology Transcriptionist For So. Calif. TIA Nm?
Dec 30, 2010

nm ...

Calif Transcription Riverside, CA- Any Info On This Company? Are They Hiring? TIA
Dec 07, 2009

nm ...

Medical INK Corp. Another One At 3.5cpl And 7.5cpl
Mar 17, 2014

Knowing the business for 35 years and still thinking it is okay to pay MTs 7.5 cpl to USE them to teach the VR Dragon for 30 days and then drop you down to 3.5 cpl and double the linecount?  Long term career?  Oh, owner was an MT.  Makes one feel warm and cozy...not. ...

Was Just Offered 5cpl @ Sten-Tel
Mar 20, 2013

Since I don't live in India, I told her that is not even a living wage for anyone in the USA and good luck finding anyone.  Jeez...and when it got down to 6 and 7 I thought that was the all time low!  Hope the rest of you will let them know that no one can live on that.  You would think 20+ years should account for something! ...

5cpl With 2cpl Being Charged For Work Being Sent To QA
Jun 01, 2011

I'm a new MT and just got an offer for an IC position. The pay is 5cpl but any work with blanks or if any questions need to be sent to QA, 2cpl will be charged. I'm new, of course I'm going to have questions! Is this what I can expect in the MT world or is this pay rate just ridiculously low? Thanks in advance for any input! ...

Globespan Transcription
May 09, 2013

Does anyone have any information on Globespan Transcription, I only found one post from earlier this year.  TIA ...

Globespan Medical And MT Week
May 22, 2010

Well, the week has come and gone and did not get anything in regards to MT Week with Globespan Medical out of San Diego, CA.  That hits a person "below the belt"!  You don't feel appreciated for all you do with a company who can't even send out a "thank you" email.  It's not just offshoring that makes a company look bad.  Some of these companies make themselves look bad all by themselves. ...

Globespan Online Application
Aug 16, 2011

I am trying to apply at Globespan but when I try to download my resume onto the online application I keep getting an error message.  You are supposed to download it in Word or pdf format.  I thought I was downloading it in Word, but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone out there know what would cause this not to work?  I really need some help with this since I am really anxious to apply for the opening.  Please help if you can.  Thank you so much. ...

Question About Globespan Transcription
Feb 04, 2013

I am just wondering if there was anybody else who was having trouble trying to contact this company in order to apply for a position that is on another board. I can not get through --was wondering if it was me or my computer or them ...

Are Those Of Us To Who It Was Mentioned To Go Live With DQS 7
Jun 06, 2012

today still supposed to start using it?  I haven't received any official email from the CCM stating to start using it today. ...

Go Live Definition
Oct 30, 2012

I'm new to this - what does "go live" actually mean?  Is it when it goes from strictly straight typing to VR?  Or is it when an MTSO gets a brand new acct?  Thanks! ...

If You Live In Texas And Own An RV
Apr 06, 2013

If you live in Texas (or maybe Louisiana) and own your own RV, consider being a gate guard at a natural gas field. The pay is about $15 an hour and that's 24 hours a day. And while you're sitting in that RV, guess what you can be doing. ...

Live Notes, Anybody?
Jun 08, 2013

I have a chance to get in with an MT company that also offers their ICs a chance at live note taking.  It doesn't pay too good, though, less than what the standard reports pay per audio minute.  I have never done this.  Can someone explain to me how it works?  I have heard that "live notes are typed in one pass."  What does this mean? ...

Windows Live
Oct 01, 2013

Is anyone else having problems this morning?  It won't let me delete email and I'm not sure it sent my email.  I get the following message:  "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.  Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity."  There is a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the bottom right corner and it says "error." ...

New Hire And OOW - On First Live Day? Sm
Apr 24, 2014

Seriously?  Is this typical?  Love how recruitment hyped this place up.  New PT hire, assigned one primary acct, finished the umpteen hours of training, released to TSM and on my first "live" day of work my account is OOW?  Then receive a zip file of emails from TSM sent to the ENTIRE team which include prior employee resignation letters, employees being reprimanded, and the kicker - TSM acknowledges that the work volume on the account that I was assigned to wasn't ...

Go Live Checklist?
Jun 27, 2014

I have a new transcription service that I recently acquired (nothing large but big enough to pay the bills :)  I am a little lost on what I should be doing as far as a checklist for go live?  So far, I have requested samples of physicians, inquired on their volume, and discussed delivery. What else am I missing? ...

If You Live In Texas
Jan 11, 2015

Baylor Grapevine is looking for a coder, either CCS or CPC, with only ONE MONTH of experience. ...

Turned Down For MT Because I Live In CA
Apr 22, 2015

I have been turned down by 3 different MT companies stating it is because of California's laws creating problems. Anyone else having this problem? Is there a way around it? Since most MT companies are not in CA, I find this extremely disturbing. Since I cannot seem to meet the minimum lph (working at Nuance), I have been looking for independent contractor work. ...

Live System Over The Internet
Mar 24, 2010

What is meant by "live system over the Internet" in some job ads.  TIA! ...

Go Live A Dead Issue?
May 25, 2010

It seems the schedule reservation "go live" in my area has now been cancelled until further notice.  I'm in the north region and wonder if any other areas have been using it successfully.  With all these so called improvements coming our way, I'm having a hard time remember what's what.  Does this mean the swapboard isn't going to work anymore or just the schedule/DQS factor with the work allowance of 15 minutes prior/after scheduled shift?  I'm ...

MTs Who Live Up North - Question
Aug 22, 2010

Do MTs who work up north make more than MTs who live down south?  I wonder because I was born in CT, but I live in NC now.  I know the cost of living up there is triple what it is here in NC.  So, how are they living on .08 a line in CT?  ...

2011 MT Survey Now Live
Mar 11, 2011

Dear all, I'm pleased to announce that the 2011 MT Survey is now live.  If you remember the 2007 MT Survey, this is a continuation of that (with some changes).  In the previous survey, we received 3800 responses, which culminated in the report MTs on the Radar (you can find it at http://ehealthrecords.wordpress.com/publications/).  We are hoping for another successful survey. So if you are interested in completing the survey, you can go to http://www.medicaltranscriptio ...

Curious...can You Be A Transcriptionist And Not Live In The US? Sm
Jan 20, 2012

Does anyone know if I were to move out of the US, say to Costa Rica, would I still be able to transcribe for a company that is US based? I am assuming it depends on the company. But, I was thinking with the time zone being different, it  might be a plus. Honestly, I'm just curious because I'm reading a book about a couple who quit their jobs and moved to Costa Rica and now I can't stop thinking about it. So, I'm curious if there is anyone out there who is doing somethin ...

Windows Live Problems, Anyone Else?
Mar 19, 2013

Set it up on new computer Sunday, worked fine. It comes up, of course takes the usual forever amount of time to do so, but when I tried to send a message it says not able to and is sititng in my outbox. Anyone else having issues with their mail today? ...

Anyone Live In The Phoenix Area?
Apr 29, 2014

Mayo Clinic has an MT position their website - have to live in the Phoenix area - wage listed $23. Me, I live in the frozen tundra of Minnesota so won't work for me. Check it out! ...

Anybody Else Out There Using Credit Cards To Live On???
May 17, 2014

Had an excellent job until hospital outsourced 5 years ago, downhill from there.  Paycheck for the last 2 weeks was $88.  I bet over in India they made more than me even with 35 years exp.   I have tried so hard to get credit cards paid down or off, but then we have to use them for buying gas to heat house, buy groceries, buy gas, etc.  I would have nver thought I would be in such a mess like so many of us at my age.   Major back disability and surgery, have not been to ...

NEMT - Anyone Else Refused Because Of The State They Live In?
Jan 26, 2010

I live in MI, and I'm looking to supplement my current IC accounts, so applied with them.  Their response is they don't hire anyone living in MI!!  This is the first time I have ever had a company say anything like this.  Just curious. ...

Which Companies Will Not Hire You If You Live In A Certain State
May 24, 2010

Would anyone who has been denied applying to a company because of the State they live in please post the name of the Company and the name of the State(s) they do not hire from. I think this only pertains to EMPLOYEE Status, but if Independent Contractors have been denied, please indicate that you wanted IC status. NetMed Transcription only hires from 12 States – Employee Status Alabama Arizona Arkansas California Florida Indiana Kansas North Carolina Oregon Pennsylvania Texas ...

People Who Live In Alberta, Candida
Sep 22, 2010

even if the rest of the world is unwilling to acknowledge you. ...