A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Word recognition - Last straw

Posted: Mar 05, 2012

Ok, so what are we going to do about this industry.  We complain and complain but something has to be done to get out line rates back to where they used to be when we could make a decent living as a "transcriptionist".  So, who has any ideas on how to address this. 

Boycott it. Refuse to edit it for a week. - Or even just a day. Eye-opener for MTSO.

[ In Reply To ..]
=^..^=

It was take knowing that most transcriptionists will do it - last straw

[ In Reply To ..]
If only a handful are willing to follow through, a handful of job openings will be available for newbies.

Speech recognition - mommt4

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, something needs to be done. It's not like anyone who walks in off the street can do MT. I make less now than I have ever made and am seriously thinking about leaving this profession altogether.

In my experience, VR takes more skill (you have to - maneuver all over the page to - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
repair mistakes). Hot keys and shortcuts don't make up for this - only make it slower! Because you're just reading along, you also have to be more attentive, and that's harder to do when editing than with typing, where the words often go more quickly "from ear to fingers". Same with editing the Indian cr*p. Editing should pay JUST AS MUCH as straight transcription, if not MORE, because it takes more time, and it's easier to make mistakes with it. In some instances, such as my own, MS Word doesn't work right when editing VR, and the end result (which you cannot see at your end, only at the hospital's EMR) is that the format is all screwed up. So it becomes much more difficult to have an end product that the client is happy with.

I think the MTSOs that bought into VR were mostly men - who by nature are infatuated with bells, whistles, gagets, and other bright shiny things. They like their toys. Unfortunately, WE are the ones that are stuck playing with them.

It was well established early on that editing takes - more skill and it was assumed would be

[ In Reply To ..]
paid more--by experts in the industry. As it happens, though, the intense competition the editor faces from front-end processing and a planet-wide employee bank, combined with severe economic pressures, turned that reality on its head.

*EVERYONE* write their congress person. - Send letters to the White House

[ In Reply To ..]
Do whatever it takes to draw attention to this industry. Transcriptionist are only a small percentage of the workforce and we go unnoticed. It has only been recently over the last 10 years or so that educational training at community colleges have even put in place training programs for the job.

We are not as recognized as we should be and therefore, fly under the radar in my opinion without much of a voice.

Write your congress person, send letters to the White House, let them know that we exist and what our working conditions are like.

Does the US realize they have women out here literally working for 4cpl and in some cases 3cpl??

#1: FIGHT LOW PAY by honorably and responsibly - not providing higher quality than is required. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of us to varying degrees can't resist "holding the standard" style-wise, so the clients get better-looking text than they pay for--at great cost to us.

MTSOs know this all too well. They're constantly instructing their editors in responsible ways to drop style quality that don't affect medical care. Hospitals/clients know this too--they're directing us to produce a simplified style designed to cost them less and are paying less for it, while shaking their heads as so many reports still come back edited to JAMA quality.

My big suggestion is to scrupulously follow their instructions throughout each and every report. This will be a BIG CHANGE in this industry. On our side, we most of us will make not just more, but MORE. MTSOs will make more. The client institutions will pay less per report but may not be as happy with what they now pay gets them--good! The dictators will get what they dictate, and no more--good. Mostly though, following the guidelines will work for everyone because it will lower costs for everyone, including processing time for us.

PLUS, though, I also suggest speeding up by not spending extra time looking up many of those last blanks--you know, 1, 2, and 3 or so before the requirement is triggered to send the report to QA. Research those terms you really feel you should know as part of continuing education, but let the rest go and send them off to the clients. This shifts the cost of finding the correct spelling of a referring physician, for instance, off our backs and onto those of the client institutions.

ALSO, if your quality is good and you have room to send more to the MTSO's QA without losing pay, do so. Search through old reports to fill in blanks for some awful, poor quality SR text/dictator--butleave the last 5 when you can and move on to the next report. Again--shift more of the cost of cleaning up bad-quality text back to the MTSOs.

Bottom line: These steps will speed most of us up significantly, making up for some of the underpayment. They will also shift part of the cost of production away from us and back where it has always belonged--to those we've actually helped get away with exploiting us so badly. START TOMORROW: FOLLOW THE RULES FOR EDITING.

In other words, you are suggesting we dumb down our work. - No thanks, more self-respect than that. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I could likely produce mega lines a day if I put out slop, but I would also be extremely ashamed to have my initials on those reports. You might make more in the short run, but you will lose in the long run when your name falls to the bottom of the stack due to poor quality. I personally do not agree with jeopardizing quality in order to "stick it to the man." Fact is, no matter what little games you play, if you are costing a place too much (whether that is due to high rates or too much in-house time spent fixing your sloppiness), they will not think twice about giving you the boot. I do not advocate spending a ton of time on blanks, but I will never advocate leaving it all for someone else to do. You knew what the job involved when you signed up and agreed to the pay. If you want to make a real change, stop accepting/staying at jobs with low pay and/or poor working conditions. The ONLY way things will improve is when they can no longer find anyone to do their crap work for peanuts. Unfortunately, there are still (and likely always will be) newbies that will take any pay just to "work from home" and do not realize how detrimental it is to MT as a whole.

Nope, not true. - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
"You knew what the job involved when you signed up and agreed to the pay"

No, I didn't - and neither did a whole lot of other MTs. We were lied to basically about our jobs, and that is illegal.
Yup. A whole lotta "bait 'n' switch" going on - in this shady industry. (n/m)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
You have that right! - agree
[ In Reply To ..]
!

And accepting cr_p pay makes you feel - more "respectable"? Why?

[ In Reply To ..]

Used to be a good industry - last straw

[ In Reply To ..]
Not everyone accepted the pay when they first signed on. If you have been with a big company long enough, your pay was dropped. When speech recognition first came out, it was paid the same in some big companies, then the lies started and they dropped the line rates, first 10%, then 20%, then 30% to half. I left a company at the first drop and wrote a very long letter of resignation pointing out the lies. They did not deny that they were lies either. I went with another company that hadn't done this yet and then another. It is sickening. I am not a union fan but this is a case for which unions began.
FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES, STOP FUSSING. - AND COMMIT TO HELPING YOURSELVES:
[ In Reply To ..]
Do the work required by your employer, responsibly, according to the guidelines, and NO MORE.

No more inserting double spaces when one is programmed in.
No more changing "her" to "the patient" at the beginning of paragraphs.
No more expanding phrases to sentences.
No more adding "the" where not dictated.

No more MAKE-WORK you don't get paid for.

What on earth does this have to do with the topic at hand? - ?
[ In Reply To ..]
?
Last Straw: "Ok, so what are we going to do about this industry? - We complain and complain but something has to be
[ In Reply To ..]
done to get our line rates back to where they used to be when we could make a decent living as a "transcriptionist". So, who has any ideas on how to address this."

This is the topic. So, let's address it.
Step #1: We have to stop attacking each other, - and start pulling together.
[ In Reply To ..]
Step #2: We need to watch each others' - backs, instead of stabbing them. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Great, NM. Now, how about a step 3, one that moves - us forward? Any ideas? NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Step 3: MTs need to start networking, and - researching, and find out - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
just how many of us there really are in this country. We also need to include newbie MTs that don't have work yet, and, eventually, those who are being sucked into the "You, too, can be an MT!" myth at the schools, because they're next in line for the whole con game that is MT.

Find out who we are, how many, and some of the demographics. Then, a way for them to communicate WITHOUT the prying eyes of MTSOs looking over their shoulders. It has to be a way for MTs, only to touch base with one another.

Before anything else can be done, we have to know who we are, where we work. We can't move forward until we END OUR ISOLATION.

I already do that. And still they want me to - dumb it down even more! Unbelievable!

[ In Reply To ..]

If that's the case, you're not already doing it enough. - As for dumb, they are much higher

[ In Reply To ..]
educated than we are on average. On average smarter too. Be honest: There are a lot of MTs who couldn't possibly be a physician or head of an IT department. So,

Stop taking excessive pride in knowing where commas go. Stop needing to show off knowing where commas go. It doesn't make us smarter or them dumber, but it is making us poorer.

Above all, STOP GIVING AWAY FREE WORK. If the sloppy grammar and punctuation they specifically ask for are good enough for the people who dictate and read them, they're good enough.
Street smarts trump book smarts 2 to 1. - I already do those things you mention.
[ In Reply To ..]
When I do VR, they get only bare-bones minimum addition or subtraction of punctuation. If it sounds dumb the way the doc dictated it, too bad. They wanted VR, they get VR's version of what they said. One of my accounts doesn't pay for spaces. I leave them out whenvever and wherever I can.

I don't give a cr*p about commas. And especially semicolons. The docs don't even know what they are.

If they make up a word, they get it. If their English is broken, but vaguely understandable, I don't correct it. (I'd get in trouble if I did, anyway).

I don't proofread anymore. I run 1 spellcheck, that's it. They only pay for time spent with fingers to keyboard. So, depending upon the account and the situation, sometimes it's cheaper to take a hit for sending blanks than it is to spend unpaid time researching them.

Any "pride" I had in this job disappeared a long, long time ago. Now, it's nothing more than an embarassment.

I did it for a while, too. - Unfortunately...

[ In Reply To ..]
QA still has their rules to follow. After getting notice about not meeting minimum line production, I did a trial run of "dumbing down" the VR reports. Production went up, but then was given a warning due to a QA percentage that went just under the minimum. BTW, this is an horrendous-audio account, so I'm sunk either way. Just waiting for my pink slip.

All techniques notwithstanding, - Tired of the nonsense

[ In Reply To ..]
these are all games. The bottom line is the line rates are not appropriate for the knowledge and professionalism it takes to be a transcriptionist. It must be rectified.

Re: All techniques notwithstanding... - Excellent post.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your accurate, concise reply---You cut through all the baloney and misplaced responsibility (on the shoulders of the MT, as usual) for an atrociously unfair and exploitative situation. You are 100% correct.

Dead-on! MT is NOT the equivalent of being - a towel-person in a fancy restroom.

[ In Reply To ..]
Or a janitor. Or a security guard. Or a dog walker. Or a burger-flipper.

(All of which pay more than MT!)

The greedy slugs that run MT companies want the best-of-the-best, and want to pay them the least-of-the-least.

(Do you hear me, MT CEO's?)
YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!

Better not forget about those of us you step on and grind into the dirt, MTSOs. Most of us will make taking you down with us our life's work from that point onward.
But where are suggestions for action? This is just - the usual defeatist complaining. ?? NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Well, why don't you start by giving us an example - of what YOU would do to - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
start the ball rolling in the right direction?

I've already posted 3 suggestions above. MTs need to stop sabotaging each other and start having each other's backs.

We MTs need to END OUR ISOLATION, and start taking all means necessary to start linking up, AWAY from MTSO spying.

In order to pull together, we first have to be able to FIND each other.
Shall we start a page on you know where? - Boosted
[ In Reply To ..]
I am recently out of the industry and am thinking of staying that way. I've got nothing to lose. If we started a paghe and everyone who knows someone who is an MT and is ready to do something about this whole situation instead of sitting here complaining but taking no action, well....the possibilities are endless.
Boosted - You build it and we will be there - agree
[ In Reply To ..]
I am sure.
I'm serious - agree
[ In Reply To ..]
Go ahead and start a page we can all go to and sign in at.
Good for you. I'm the #1: Fight Low Pay poster, and - I have emailed Boosted. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Well, this has been on the - MModal board

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't do the VR. MModal has the F11 key to remove text and type reports. Don't know how other platforms work but do the equivalent, whatever key to remove text and get typing rate. Many at MModal are tired of it and fighting back, everyone should. I don't do it and won't do it. Everyone needs to stop letting these software companies trash our profession. If everyone profession wide would do this they have no choice but to start treating us better. I know some are hunky-dorey with VR but most aren't and if you want to stay in this profession, start fighting. Don't do VR. Not one of these companies could survive without us and if you really think everyone will get fired, you really don't think much of your skills. Bullying is how they got this far and you have to stand up to bullies at some point.

Maybe we should pick just 1 DAY, and - all just refuse VR for 1 day.

[ In Reply To ..]
Just enough to gum up the works a bit, but not enough so that anyone has to feel they're sticking their neck out.

If nothing else, it pretty much guarantees us lots of work the next day.
;)

Well, that would be a - start

[ In Reply To ..]
but I don't do it any day. Would rather get fired than accept what they want to pay for that crap. Haven't done it in years and still here. You folks just don't know that you have the power and not them. They'll get crappy with you and threaten but you won't go anywhere. They need you more than you need them. You folks just don't see that because your scared. Better do something soon or you'll be working for free.

Similar Messages:

Speech Recognition And Voice Recognition Considered The Same?
Sep 22, 2010

Speech recognition and voice recognition considered the same? ...

VR (voice Recognition) Pay
Feb 22, 2010

I just saw an ad on line for 03 for VR for IC.  Isn't that low?  I've never done VR so I am curious.   Thank you. ...

What Is Exactly Is VR/speech Recognition?
Sep 14, 2010

Hello, I am a new MT and learned transcription from cassette tapes and Express Scribe. Can someone tell me what voice recognition is and how is it used in transcription?  ...

Voice Recognition Pay
Jun 02, 2011

I'm infuriated that the quota to keep benefits is the same as it was before voice recognition.   I'm KILLING myself to try to keep up to maintain health insurance and just can't do it.  With 96% plus voice recognition reports and half pay from straight typing, I'm losing health care benefits.  SO UNFAIR!!! ...

(voice Recognition) VR Pay
Sep 26, 2011

Have to learn VR soon.  What if a report comes to you and there were no corrections to be made, does MT still get paid for the lines on the report or do you only get paid for straight typing and then if report has errors you just get paid for those corrections.  Never done VR before and for some reason they make it sound so easy.   ...

360 Voice Recognition
Jun 07, 2013

For those of you who have had to make the switch to 360 VR, how is working for you? Our doctors are starting it this month and of course we are hoping it doesn't go well because we want to keep our jobs as is!  I'm anxious to hear how it's going. Thanks! ...

Is Everything Voice Recognition Now (sm)
Jan 16, 2014

Is everything with M*Modal now voice recognition?  I'm in an area that until now has been doing regular transcription but am just realizing my area is going to be VR in the very near future.  What little VR I have done I suck at.  I can't afford to be paid less than half of what I am making now so I figure I'll be filing for bankruptcy very soon.  How does anyone make money with VR?  Is there a trick to it that anyone could provide?  I sure could ...

New To Voice Recognition....sm
Dec 17, 2014

Could someone please tell me what constitutes "well-trained" speech recognition?  How many corrections, generally, per line would be considered "good?"  Can improvement in speech recognition ever be seen? I am working on Escription, if that makes any difference. Thanks! ...

How Do You Do Voice Recognition Editing?
Oct 31, 2009

Hi:  I worked as an IC for 15 years and then went to work at a hospital for nine years.  There have been layoffs where I work, and I think I will be included in the next round.  I started looking around for jobs at a service again and was shocked to find out how much things have changed.   Now, most of the services do a combination of transcription and voice recognition editing (I had no idea). Can somebody tell me something about VR editing?  How is it done?&nbs ...

Voice Recognition Going Low Rates
Jan 23, 2010

For those using VR or ASR at the going low rates today, do you feel on a fairly difficult account you can make the same amount of money as doing straight transcription.  This is using the DQS system.  ...

Voice Recognition In India
Mar 26, 2010

I'm curious about something and maybe somebody out there knows the answer to this question.  Do the transcriptionists in India do voice recognition or are they regular transcriptionists. In my mind I thin this is what happened to the transcription profession.  Someone thought that if we can get the work done cheaper in India then we should go there.  However those girls won't have as much terminology as the ones here in the states so if we go to voice recognition that w ...

MT Week With Gifts And ?recognition.
May 18, 2010

I'm wondering with all these little trinkets sent, or not....with all the little games throughout the week, why is it we don't hear a peep out in the "real world" about MT week?  It was established in 1985, but nowhere except on the AHDI website is it being promoted.  Type "national transcription week" in google and click pn search news, and the only things that come up are about how clients are trying to cut costs (usually by eliminating us).  Click on search the web, a ...

Speech Recognition Job Offer
Jun 24, 2010

I just got offered a job doing straight typing but also speech recognition. Is this hard to do? I have no experience and I was wondering also if I can move quickly doing this so I can make good money?? What are your thoughts about this? Thank you for your time. Elizabeth ...

Help! My Corporation Just Went To Speech Recognition!
Jul 31, 2010

Hello: I don't know if I am using the right terminology, but my corporation has decided to use some kinda digital voice capture, so the software spits out unedited reports.  meaning, as a hospital trained transcriptionist, I've gone from transcription to pure editing.  And I am quaking in my boots.  I would like to supplement my current job with at home transcription.  Is this even still to be found?  All perspectives welcome.  Thank you. ...

Speech Recognition Editing Course
Aug 01, 2010

I graduated in May from the MT program at a local two-year college and, naturally, it's nearly impossible to find a medical transcription job as a newbie. Since speech recognition seems to be the future, I was wondering if taking a speech recognition editing course would be a good investment of my time and money. AHDI, I know, is offering a speech recognition editing course. I've done a lot of copy editing in my previous clerical jobs. I've always been good at copy edit ...

M Modal Voice Recognition
Sep 24, 2010

The company that I am working for is going to go with M Modal VR.  I currently use ChartNet and they are switching to VR.  I have never done this type of transcription before.   For those of you who use it, is it that hard to learn?  I am at this point so tired of learning new programs and I only wish I could retire now.  MT is not what it used to be and I used to love transcription, but I am at this point just burnt out.  I used to make good money working ...

Voice Recognition Systems?
Nov 02, 2010

Anyone out there have experience with voice recognition systems? We are being told our organization is going to transition to this format and we will become "editors". ...

Would Like To Get Some Opinions On Voice Recognition
Jan 12, 2011

I would like to get some opinions on voice recognition.  I've never done it before.  I've heard pretty much negativity about it, and it scares me because it sounds like a lot of companies use it.  Also it really concerns me because I have to make at the very least so much amount of money to pay my bills!  I've done clinic, hospital and at-home transcription.  The at-home transcription was not a good experience.  I actually had to go back to the hospital part-time and work a ...

Speech Recognition Rates
May 18, 2011

What is the going rate now for speech recognition work and how do you make any money doing it if the rates are low with all the editing that has to be done. ...

Voice Recognition Myth #1
May 25, 2011

the myth is that we're teaching it! The stupid thing refuses to learn! If this were a human, he or she would have been out the door a long time ago (and the interview process would have gone something like "Oh, yeah I can do transcription, I was a receptionist at a doctor's office!).  So if there's anyone still concerned about being replaced by this thing, and resenting having to "teach" it, you can start worrying about other things (of which I'm sure you have plenty). ...

Inscribe - If It Uses Speech Recognition? 
Jul 21, 2011

Does anyone knowing about Inscribe know if it uses speech recognition?  I heard of an job using Inscribe paying 8c a line, including spaces  - sounds good to me unless it is reduced for speech recognition work. ...

Voice Recognition Software
Nov 08, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has ever used any voice recognition software to do your work? I am having problems with my right hand that makes it a little difficult to type like I used to and thought that this would work for me. I could probably also get more lines a day. ...

Companies Who Do Not Do Voice Recognition?
Feb 02, 2012

Can anyone tell me some companies who do not do voice rec?  I hate it!!   Thanks. ...

Question About Voice Recognition
Feb 14, 2012

How does VR know difference between peroneal and perineal? Is there an auto-correct feature on VR that everytime you say (for example) forearm it comes out correctly and not four arm? ...

Speech Recognition Software
Feb 19, 2012

Has anyone ever tried speech recognition software when transcribing and if so how does it work.  ...

Voice Recognition - How To Get Productivity Up?
Mar 13, 2012

I am new to VR. I just started a job yesterday and today was my first full day. All I can say is UGH!! How do you do it? Any advice on how to get productivity up is appreciated. Thanks. ...

I HATE Voice Recognition! I Could Just Cry!
Jul 12, 2012

I know this won't help, but I just feel that I have to vent a little before I go on to complete the document. My hands are getting so sick and tired of all the acrobatics they have to perform to do ALL THE EDITING necessary! One after the other without a break! I am literally sitting here ready to cry.  I just want to type! I hate the mouse - and NO! I cannot be "mouse-less" you big shot executives! You try doing this job! ...

Voice Recognition Work? Am I The Only One?
Aug 09, 2012

I have read the horror stories over and over about voice recognition and was literally scared to death to take the plunge and try it. I recently got hired on at a large company where my account is about 50/50. It took a bit of getting used to, but have found that I really can edit faster than I can type, and actually enjoy the break from straight typing. But from all the posts I've read about it, I know many people do not enjoy it. Granted, I hired on at another company a while back, where ...

EPIC Voice Recognition
Aug 28, 2012

Does anyone know if the voice recognition part of EPIC is like eScription?  During the short period of time I had to use eScription, we were not allowed to recast sentences, etc.  I honestly don't know how we are going to handle the ESLs when we move to that platform.  We have been doing straight typing but I have to recast a lot of sentences.  I guess in order to train the VR system I will have to transcribe the ESLs verbatim and those documents will not make a whole lo ...

Editing But Not Voice Recognition?
Sep 17, 2012

When a job ad states it is for editing but not voice recognition, what exactly do they mean? I can't imagine what is different between the two. Sorry if this is a dumb question. ...