A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Voice recognition work? Am I the only one? - YesIAm

Posted: Aug 09, 2012

I have read the horror stories over and over about voice recognition and was literally scared to death to take the plunge and try it. I recently got hired on at a large company where my account is about 50/50. It took a bit of getting used to, but have found that I really can edit faster than I can type, and actually enjoy the break from straight typing. But from all the posts I've read about it, I know many people do not enjoy it. Granted, I hired on at another company a while back, where they just threw me into it and I could not get the feel for it and DESPISED it so much, I ended up quitting. Just wanting others perspectives on it, and how other newbies are faring with it. Thanks in advance.

second time around - meme

[ In Reply To ..]
The second time around, I grasped it better also. Probably because we had exposure already. In my case, unless it's a difficult ESL doctor, I can type faster than I can edit. But, I am an extremely fast typist. So, on the easy-peasy dictators, I felt like I could have done it better just straight typing. My opinion (humble) is that it will always to back to who is dictating and what type of report they are dictating. That is wonderful that you like it. :)

I think there are several factors involved. I had - me

[ In Reply To ..]
one account that the dictators were about 95% ESL and about half of that were extremely challenging ESL. Partner that with a VR program that was not user friendly. My supervisor was telling me that even with the worst dictators they got text, which they did, but you got nonsense and I would delete the text and retype it. It also quit learning. After 2 years of this account being on VR I still made the same changes on every single report. There was absolutely no way possible to make a decent line count with this account. At least it was paid hourly.

I had a better account on the same platform and it wasn't bad, but the program still was not user friendly.

I have another account on a different VR platform. Only a percentage of the doctors are on VR. I find that it also stops learning and I make the same corrections with the same doctors. Some days you get almost perfect text, and other days, despite the dictation being very clear, you get garbage, and I don't know why. Each program has some features I like and if I could combine the best of both I would probably do very well.

You have people that love VR and they are productive and you have those who can't make even their usual line count, but unless you have the same dictators and the same platform you can't compare.

There is a learning curve. There is also a period of attitude adjustment for most people I think, especially if you are a seasoned MT. I know when I had to switch from WP5.1 and PRD to Word I thought I would never get it and I sabotaged myself because I had an attitude about it.

This industry is constantly changing and mostly not for the better. You either have to accept change and make the most of it or get out.

I agree with your assessment, adding only that... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...although sometimes I can edit faster than I can type (and I test 100-105 wpm with no errors), even when I get good VR text under no circumstances have I ever consistently (hour after hour) been able to edit TWICE as many lines as I can transcribe.

...and THAT is the gripe we have with VR editing. We've been sold the nonsensical notion that - despite the multiple KNOWN problems with VR, despite KNOWING that we often have to completely transcribe VR garbage documents, etc. - we can be paid HALF the line rate because we can do TWICE the production.

The idea is nonsensical as well on a totally different level (if I bring a given degree of skill and knowledge to a line of medical text, why should my skill and knowledge be worth one bit less for that line of text regardless of HOW it is generated?).

And this is actually even a more profound manner in which we are being cheated than on the basis of the silly "twice the lines" argument, because this is an expression of the fact that our knowledge and skills as the gatekeepers of the medical record are actually disrespected by our employers.

Several factors involved . . . - FriendlyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Regarding VR, most of the times when VR is said not to learn, it's not actually the VR's fault, instead it is the MT. To explain, VR, or at least one program I have worked extensively with (and taught others how to use) learns from changing/correcting words/letters within the voice file that has already populated the field. If an MT erases all the text and types it instead, the system cannot learn from that. It has to learn from the change. There is no way it can learn from complete deletion of text.

I had an instructor tell me that to make a change, VR listens to ten different times to a certain word. If 10 out of 10 MTs use the same word that corresponds to the same sound, then it remembers it. All it takes is one MT to mess that up by changing that spelling.

For example, Kocher clamp being used in an op note. The proper spelling is Kocher, but someone kept changing it to Coker clamp. Once this was done, the system had to learn the term over again, waiting until it found 10 different times where Kocher is spelled this way to correspond with this sound.

That is how this system learns. It's really extraordinatory, the ability it has to learn. It categorizes by type, such as GI or cardiology, then by doctor, then by report. It's very extensive and intensive and is fascinating the way it can learn.

When I worked in the hospital, we used this VR program for about 7 years and it worked fabulously, that is, before we were "farmed out" to an MTSO, so the hospital could "save money." I hope that's working for them. . . or do I?

Nevertheless, the old saying still goes regarding software and computer programs . . . you get out of it what you put into it. If it is used and standardized the way it was meant to be, VR works beautifully. JMHO.

So why can't it get the DOS right? - SB

[ In Reply To ..]
We all type the DOS exactly the same, per the account specs. Yet on my platform, it is very rare that the SRE inputs the date and format correctly. It ranges from getting the entire thing wrong, getting the year wrong to leaving out the colon or a space after it. I just do not understand why it can't get this standardized element correctly virtually every time it is dictated.
Voice recognition - FriendlyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I can only assume that the reason the DOS (Date of Service) is wrong is because everyone is not doing it the same way. There is always the possibility that it is a coding error in the program also. That's not unheard of. I'm not sure how your formatting is, or the specifics of the client, but if 3 MTs do it one way and 5 MTs do it another, it will never learn it. It's very confusing, but this was exactly what I was taught by the instructors. It makes sense, and I know from experience that it DOES work. There were many doctors who dictated where I could just sit back and watch the screen as I was listening. The text was correct. I may have to add a comma or make another minor change, but even "next paragraph" dictated would add that extra line automatically.

I can only tell you what I know and have been told, but it basically comes down to knowledge, training, following the format, and the desire to get it right.

From the masses of MTs that I have spoken to and read about, both here and on other forums, etc. there are many who are so disgruntled with their loss of revenue that they just do not care anymore.

I really cannot blame them, because the MTSOs do not act like they care either. They just want to get it done in the fastest turnaround possible. The amount of mistakes in some reports I have seen is sickening. I take pride in what I do, and no matter what, my initials or name on the report are my trademark and I'll stand by them every time.

I just wanted to let you know that there are VRs out there that do work, and work well, but the MTs who are using them makes all the difference. The training makes a big difference, but most of all, I think the desire makes a difference.

Money is not everything, my friend. It just isn't.
On my accounts, the DOS is almost always entered correctly - SB
[ In Reply To ..]
by everyone, as shown on the archived documents. So while your argument makes sense perhaps, it does not correlate with my experience. I do not see any reason why the software cannot learn to type the DOS (and DOA, DOD, DOO, DOS) correctly. It remains a mystery to me. Furthermore, my experience on my accounts is the the MTs must care about their jobs because they overall do a very good one under difficult conditions.

I see what you're saying, and.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....this is probably a major reason why it's sooo wrong-headed that MTSOs hire and hire and hire, wanting to meet that all-important turn-around time; but in doing so, they get way too many different MTs on the job and way too many inexperienced MTs working, in order to get enough hands on deck.

Although it lulls me to sleep, I don't mind so much DOING - VR, it"s the crummy pay that I hate! (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Speech Recognition And Voice Recognition Considered The Same?
Sep 22, 2010

Speech recognition and voice recognition considered the same? ...

Voice Recognition - Is Anybody Making Any Money At All On Voice?
Jan 12, 2013

I was wondering, is anybody making any money at all on voice?  I keep hearing just minimum or maybe a little more.  I call minimum wage 7.50 to 8.00 an hour.  My experience with it was at one point I was told that I hadn't made enough for minimum and they had to do make-up pay.  So how is everybody's experience with voice?  I run from it, and I just want to know if anybody really can make an money? Thanks. ...

VR (voice Recognition) Pay
Feb 22, 2010

I just saw an ad on line for 03 for VR for IC.  Isn't that low?  I've never done VR so I am curious.   Thank you. ...

Voice Recognition Pay
Jun 02, 2011

I'm infuriated that the quota to keep benefits is the same as it was before voice recognition.   I'm KILLING myself to try to keep up to maintain health insurance and just can't do it.  With 96% plus voice recognition reports and half pay from straight typing, I'm losing health care benefits.  SO UNFAIR!!! ...

(voice Recognition) VR Pay
Sep 26, 2011

Have to learn VR soon.  What if a report comes to you and there were no corrections to be made, does MT still get paid for the lines on the report or do you only get paid for straight typing and then if report has errors you just get paid for those corrections.  Never done VR before and for some reason they make it sound so easy.   ...

360 Voice Recognition
Jun 07, 2013

For those of you who have had to make the switch to 360 VR, how is working for you? Our doctors are starting it this month and of course we are hoping it doesn't go well because we want to keep our jobs as is!  I'm anxious to hear how it's going. Thanks! ...

Is Everything Voice Recognition Now (sm)
Jan 16, 2014

Is everything with M*Modal now voice recognition?  I'm in an area that until now has been doing regular transcription but am just realizing my area is going to be VR in the very near future.  What little VR I have done I suck at.  I can't afford to be paid less than half of what I am making now so I figure I'll be filing for bankruptcy very soon.  How does anyone make money with VR?  Is there a trick to it that anyone could provide?  I sure could ...

New To Voice Recognition....sm
Dec 17, 2014

Could someone please tell me what constitutes "well-trained" speech recognition?  How many corrections, generally, per line would be considered "good?"  Can improvement in speech recognition ever be seen? I am working on Escription, if that makes any difference. Thanks! ...

How Do You Do Voice Recognition Editing?
Oct 31, 2009

Hi:  I worked as an IC for 15 years and then went to work at a hospital for nine years.  There have been layoffs where I work, and I think I will be included in the next round.  I started looking around for jobs at a service again and was shocked to find out how much things have changed.   Now, most of the services do a combination of transcription and voice recognition editing (I had no idea). Can somebody tell me something about VR editing?  How is it done?&nbs ...

Voice Recognition Going Low Rates
Jan 23, 2010

For those using VR or ASR at the going low rates today, do you feel on a fairly difficult account you can make the same amount of money as doing straight transcription.  This is using the DQS system.  ...

Voice Recognition In India
Mar 26, 2010

I'm curious about something and maybe somebody out there knows the answer to this question.  Do the transcriptionists in India do voice recognition or are they regular transcriptionists. In my mind I thin this is what happened to the transcription profession.  Someone thought that if we can get the work done cheaper in India then we should go there.  However those girls won't have as much terminology as the ones here in the states so if we go to voice recognition that w ...

M Modal Voice Recognition
Sep 24, 2010

The company that I am working for is going to go with M Modal VR.  I currently use ChartNet and they are switching to VR.  I have never done this type of transcription before.   For those of you who use it, is it that hard to learn?  I am at this point so tired of learning new programs and I only wish I could retire now.  MT is not what it used to be and I used to love transcription, but I am at this point just burnt out.  I used to make good money working ...

Voice Recognition Systems?
Nov 02, 2010

Anyone out there have experience with voice recognition systems? We are being told our organization is going to transition to this format and we will become "editors". ...

Would Like To Get Some Opinions On Voice Recognition
Jan 12, 2011

I would like to get some opinions on voice recognition.  I've never done it before.  I've heard pretty much negativity about it, and it scares me because it sounds like a lot of companies use it.  Also it really concerns me because I have to make at the very least so much amount of money to pay my bills!  I've done clinic, hospital and at-home transcription.  The at-home transcription was not a good experience.  I actually had to go back to the hospital part-time and work a ...

Voice Recognition Myth #1
May 25, 2011

the myth is that we're teaching it! The stupid thing refuses to learn! If this were a human, he or she would have been out the door a long time ago (and the interview process would have gone something like "Oh, yeah I can do transcription, I was a receptionist at a doctor's office!).  So if there's anyone still concerned about being replaced by this thing, and resenting having to "teach" it, you can start worrying about other things (of which I'm sure you have plenty). ...

Voice Recognition Software
Nov 08, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has ever used any voice recognition software to do your work? I am having problems with my right hand that makes it a little difficult to type like I used to and thought that this would work for me. I could probably also get more lines a day. ...

Companies Who Do Not Do Voice Recognition?
Feb 02, 2012

Can anyone tell me some companies who do not do voice rec?  I hate it!!   Thanks. ...

Question About Voice Recognition
Feb 14, 2012

How does VR know difference between peroneal and perineal? Is there an auto-correct feature on VR that everytime you say (for example) forearm it comes out correctly and not four arm? ...

Voice Recognition - How To Get Productivity Up?
Mar 13, 2012

I am new to VR. I just started a job yesterday and today was my first full day. All I can say is UGH!! How do you do it? Any advice on how to get productivity up is appreciated. Thanks. ...

I HATE Voice Recognition! I Could Just Cry!
Jul 12, 2012

I know this won't help, but I just feel that I have to vent a little before I go on to complete the document. My hands are getting so sick and tired of all the acrobatics they have to perform to do ALL THE EDITING necessary! One after the other without a break! I am literally sitting here ready to cry.  I just want to type! I hate the mouse - and NO! I cannot be "mouse-less" you big shot executives! You try doing this job! ...

EPIC Voice Recognition
Aug 28, 2012

Does anyone know if the voice recognition part of EPIC is like eScription?  During the short period of time I had to use eScription, we were not allowed to recast sentences, etc.  I honestly don't know how we are going to handle the ESLs when we move to that platform.  We have been doing straight typing but I have to recast a lot of sentences.  I guess in order to train the VR system I will have to transcribe the ESLs verbatim and those documents will not make a whole lo ...

Editing But Not Voice Recognition?
Sep 17, 2012

When a job ad states it is for editing but not voice recognition, what exactly do they mean? I can't imagine what is different between the two. Sorry if this is a dumb question. ...

Voice Recognition - How Do I Get Experience?
Dec 12, 2012

I would like to get some experience with voice recognition, how do I do this? Thanks in advance! ...

Future Of Voice Recognition
Mar 15, 2013

I was talking to a physician assistant today and she said when she was working in a hospital, she couldn't believe what kind of reports came out when doctors were dictating on voice recognition without having transcriptionists type them up afterwards. Hopefully, things may eventually turn around. ...

Losing My Job To Voice Recognition
Jul 10, 2013

Hello, I have never posted here before but need some advice please.  I have had my own transcription business for 7+ years working for a group of providers who are employed by a clinic.  I have had nothing but praise and appreciation shown over the years regarding my speed and quality of my work.  However, regardless of the preferences of the providers, the clinic is forcing a switch to voice recognition to save money.  They have told me it is due to nothing that I have done ...

VOICE RECOGNITION AND LOSS OF JOB
Jul 30, 2014

Just wondering about this.  For one company that I work for, I had a secondary account -- a hospital, that we were told (e-mailed) we would no longer be typing/editing.  The voice recognition program was getting better all the time and probably was pretty good at this point.  We were just told that we would no longer by doing work for them.  So 2 possibilities: 1)  The hospital was not happy with our editing?   2)  The voice recognition program had gotten so g ...

MT Pay Voice Recognition Rates
Mar 18, 2015

I have been a MT with the same company for many years with pay cuts and 4 cpl voice recognition rates. What is the average rate for typing and for voice recognition these days? Employee status as well as independent contractor. ...

Voice Recognition And Eyesight
May 12, 2015

Is anyone having problems with their eyesight because of VR?  I am a 20-year MT and find that my eyesight is fading fast and am having difficulty with my eyes watering and burning, unable to focus, after a few hours of work with VR.  I am also finding that I miss more errors/mistakes because of not being able to type things manually.  Would appreciate any a response from others with this problem.  Have really lost faith in the transcription world thanks to VR.   ...

Are The Indian MTSO's Doing Voice Recognition?
Jan 14, 2010

nm ...

Transcend Voice Recognition Program Seems To Be As
Jun 04, 2010

bipolar as their managment.  One day it is user friendly, gives good drafts and the next day or later in the same day it pretends it has never heard medical dictation before and goes off on one of its wild tangents of rambling incoherently.  Can't they fix anything in this company? ...