A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Very discouraged about job situation. - Anon

Posted: Jan 26, 2012

I have been in business for 30 years and I have never seen things this bad. I am currently out of work, after having steady work for the last 5 or 6 years. This is new for me and after applying for several companies and no response, I am very discouraged. The companies say they are bogged down with applications and not able to reply to everyone. I feel for all you out there who are out of work now. God help us all. I guess all we can do is pray for a miracle at this point.

That makes two of us. I have 30 years' experience, - have been applying for 3 years, -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and in all that time, have only had 1 interview (didn't get the job - was told I 'didn't have enough experience!'), and 1 callback. The rest? ZILCH.

I think the companies that don't reply are only answering applications from a small MT demographic: Those with 2-5 years' experience, and who are willing to work graveyard shift - for FREE.

Very sad -- I feel for you. - Suzy Q

[ In Reply To ..]
Well I have only just started applying in the last 2 weeks. I was laid off on 01/15/2012 after working hard for 3 years for what used to be a good company.

Wish you all the luck in the world. Things have to change sooner or later.

Totally can tell you that's not the case - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 30+ years experience and have never had a problem getting a call back and getting hired. In many instances, I find reasons for some of these companies not working for me, but I've always been able to find work. I don't know if those of you who can't get a call back don't have the experience (I understand having done this for 30 years but done what exactly?) I also won't take a job for less than 7 -- and 7 is low but I can still make a nice salary with that. (However, the 2 companies I work for right now pay me 9 and 7.5 for VR).

Revamp your resumes and rewrite your cover letters, the work is out there!!

Well, in my 30 years I've done all specialties - with the exception of pathology. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
I've worked at home, in-house, for large and small MTSOs, onsite for hospitals, etc. I do ESLs, VR, letters, manuscripts, radiology, EKGs, ECGs, ER, OP notes, you name it.

I'm currently not applying at MTSOs, only on-site jobs at hospitals and clinics.

So exactly what more could they possibly want? (Except youth and naivete?)

Sorry for you Anon. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in the biz for quite a while myself. It used to be that if you were an experienced MT, you could get a job without hardly looking. It has gotten crazy indeed. I am unsure if companies are bringing jobs back or not, probably waiting until they are forced to, but I think the VR is designed specifically for that occurrence and reducing the MT personnel. Will there be enough jobs for those who wish to stay? Who knows.

Thirty years, huh? Breaks my heart for you. You probably feel like a fish out of water with your fingers not moving every day. Take your time, if you can, and find a good position suitable to your skills. I do wish you the very best of luck!

Lack of Work - JCM

[ In Reply To ..]
I know what you are going through. I have been doing transcription for 25+ years too, home-based for 8 years. I had good steady work for approximately 6-1/2 years and then the company lost the accounts to bidding. I have not had steady work for about a year-and-a-half now. I have applied to many ads but usually don't hear from anyone. Oh, and I love it when you apply and don't hear anything, but then you see the exact same ad back up on the website a week later. I have sent followup emails, and after being told that my test was really quite good, they say they just can't hire me at this time. Uh...what is the ad for then? I just don't understand it. I guess what's meant to be will be. Good luck to everyone!!

35+years having same problem! - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
I think an earlier post nailed it on the head if you have toooooo much experience they don't call you! Hate to say it but McDonald's and Wal-Mart have constant work loads!!!

Me too. Been an MT since 1972, unemployed since Nov 2009 - qvpqgy

[ In Reply To ..]
I have sent more than 600 resumes out since then. The certain demographic theory of 2-5 years experience is plausible, but the message I am getting loud and clear is plain old garden variety age discrimination.

I recall back in 2001, when I had my last on-site gig, one of the at-home MTs, with whom I had worked at previous jobs back in the dawn of the Mesolithic Era, was 84 years old at the time. Her experience PREDATED formal medical transcription. She had created her own career at age 35 while working as a medical stenographer for 3 private practice surgical associates in 1952 after her husband was killed in Korea and she became a single parent of 3 young sons.

She learned medical terminology by sneaking their JAMAs home at night to study and by reading every single chart in the office while at work, including lab slips. Once she felt confident, she convinced one of MDs to read his indecipherable clinic notes to her to at the end of the day, which she transposed verbatim in shorthand (!), then transcribed the next morning on a manual Underwood typewriter before placing them into the chart. It wasn't long before she was doing this for all 3 associates. After that, she talked them into getting some version of a Soundscriber, which she later described as a "horrible contraption."

She worked for them until two of them died and the third retired, then entered the world of mag card transcription at a hospital some time around 1969-70. By 2001 she had 50 years of experience under her belt. One of my assignments was to cover for her every afternoon by typing on her account for 2 hours between 3 and 5 so she could take her nap, which was non-negotiable for her, and enabled her to continue working full time. She worked a split shift, 4 hours in the morning, followed by 4 hours in the evening after that nap.

She never used expanders, rarely needed a reference book, refused to advance her computer skills beyond basic DOS, but in return printed out her own flawless work which never required QA and drove 8 miles round trip every day to deliver it in person to the office before the morning run. She was the company's highest producer. Needless to say, we all bent over backwards to accommodate this very special lady (including the owner). It would not surprise me at all that, if she is still alive, she is still transcribing. One thing that I remember more than anything is how there was no dog-eat-dog, cut-throat competition over work, line count contests, exaggerated production claims or endless one-upsmanship among co-workers. We always had more than enough work, were paid well for our efforts and were allowed to place the same emphasis on quality of content as we did on production numbers.

Forgive me for this long dissertation. I guess I sound like a hopelessly nostalgic codger, but I think it's important to pause for a moment every now and then to realize exactly what is being lost along the way by MTSOs in the name of progress, and that value cannot always be measured in terms of megaprofits, dollars and cents and the almighty bottom line.
Wow!! - JCM
[ In Reply To ..]
I really enjoyed reading this!! Thank you very much for sharing. Truly amazing!!
I've known a couple of ladies like that. They come - from an era that valued QUALITY.
[ In Reply To ..]
Today, quality is something that now has all but flown out the window.

I look at jobs being offered at places like Home Depot, etc., but as a 60-something person with a delicate back, I'm not applying for jobs where I'd have to be on my feet all day. So I need to find a desk job.

I look at desk jobs in other fields, and the catch there is, they always want 2-5 years' experience in THAT field. Even if it's for a secretarial job, or even as a receptionist. I applied at a few veterinary reception jobs, and they want VETERINARY reception experience. Also, my general office clerk and receptionist experience predates even my oldest MT jobs, which I don't even list on my resume anymore because it dates me too much. (And they don't even exist anymore). One of the hospitals I used to work at in the 70s was torn down in the early 1980s.

I saw a job as a courtroom clerk that I would've jumped on, because I'd have loved it and done well at it. Unfortunately most of the court jobs I find are temporary. I'm not going to quit a full-time job I already have (even though it pays bad), for a temporary job!

I get more depressed and disillusioned every day, because I know the clock is ticking. MT will die - sooner rather than later. Every day I don't find a job with a living wage, all I get is another day older. Even though I could pass for 15-20 years younger than my chronological age, how are they ever to know that if they won't even grant me an interview?

If something doesn't change, I guess I'll eventually just become one of this country's PROBLEMS, rather than one of its SOLUTIONS.
That describes my experience to a T. - I would add
[ In Reply To ..]
that among such problems as hospitals that have been torn down or swallowed up by a managed healthcare/hospital "system," that does not verify employment records dating back that far, there is also the problem of simply outliving some of your best direct employment references, especially supervisors.

One of my previous employers anticipated this problem when I left and was kind enough to furnish a very nice reference letter, just in case we should lose touch with each other. I met her when the hospital where I worked decided to outsource their medical transcription department in late 1984. She was already working at home as an IC and was trying to expand her client base in order to "incubate" a small business with the idea of hiring a few additional people. She was pretty gutsy to bid on a 500-bed MT department contract while running a shoestring operation, especially since we were still working off of dictaphone cassettes, minicassettes and IBM Correcting Selectrics. This made management a logistical nightmare since she lived about 12 miles from the hospital and TATs required her to pick up and deliver twice daily. In spite of those daunting obstacles, her bid was selected and she signed the contract.

One day she came into the MT office and gave a presentation to the in-house MTs (there were 5 of us plus the supervisor), offering us the opportunity to "transition" from on-site to at-home by coming to work for her. My supervisor and I were the only ones that took her up on the offer, so I began working for her parttime in the evenings while still working fulltime at the hospital, then fulltime once the hospital closed down the MT department all together. This early start-up MTSO hit the ground running and before we knew it, she had signed contracts with the county hospital (978 beds at that time) and the college of medicine clinic associations in our urban medical center. We were positively inundated with work in no time, to the point where she could barely hire ICs fast enough to keep up. I worked around 50 hours per week with her for about 5 years.

In the meantime, new MTSOs were popping up left and right. When my original hospital account began outsourcing to a larger organization that offered benefits and computer training, I followed that account around for another 10 years, as it kept hopping from one MTSO to the next. I left on the best of terms with her and occasionally would do overflow work (until she retired) when she got into a tight bind.

In the letter, she said she had always considered me as her silent partner, even though my job was confined to transcription, and placed a lot of emphasis on reliability and loyalty. I have always felt proud of being part of the inception and growth of her company. These days, I have to wonder if the reference letter is even useful, and that instead, it may simply "date me," a concern you raised that is all too familiar to me. I also think the letter reflects experience beyond transcription that might be helpful in presenting skills that could "transition" to another related job description.

I get so discouraged sometimes that I think presenting a reference letter might be perceived as possibly being a photoshopped phoney, and that being characterized as a reliable and loyal "silent partner" could leave the impression that I pose some sort of "threat" to a middle mangement employee half my age with 25 years less experience (!), so I end up burying in some dusty hard copy file and keeping the reference and the experience off their radar screens entirely, as if it never happened.

Guess I'll never know one way or the other, since I can't even get my foot in the front door.
Hear, hear. Great story. Made me smile. - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
What a gal. Amazing. Figured it out as she went. That kind of self direction, determination, and dedication epitomizes our profession (or it should).

I worked with ladies at the hospital who were hired straight out of high school and learned on the job. They were still talking about typing on typewriters using carbon paper(s) and all the erasing when a doc changed his mind. (They really appreciated comps and word processing.)

They told me about the first dictation machines that were feet of digital tape and every once in a while it would break and dictation would be lost. Hence, older doctors saying no, no, I DID dictate it. The machine must have eaten it. (not to be confused with the dog) And doctors used to being disconnected by older machines who just repeat the last word they said while they were thinking of what they wanted to say next. Like, period....period....period....period. And you, hunched over the keyboard, ready to go, when he gets his thoughts organized. The repeating drove me crazy until I understood why he did it. Fear. Fear of getting cut off.

I have truly enjoyed medical transcription and still do. It's not over, yet.
Respectfully disagree - Beentheredonethat
[ In Reply To ..]
I too have been MT since 1972-73. I've had 4 different jobs w/4 different companies since 2008, but never gone more than a month without work. Had to take a close critiquing look at my resume and revamp it. Since we live in a virtual world resume has to stand out among the rest. Don't give up, get the resume out wherever and whenever u can. Doesn't have to be Doom and Gloom.
So True. - Suzy Q
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes I can relate to your story. I too have known women in the past who fit your description. They were to be admired for their hard work and dedication to quality. I have been trained by some of them and at the time I thought they were very demanding and unreasonable, but now as I look back I realize these women were only striving to do a good job and prove themselves in an otherwise male-dominated business at that time.

You are right saying that we will never see that kind of worker again. The modern world now only values work done as cheaply as possible, not caring how much experience they might have. We of the older generation are pushed to the wayside, no longer wanted and no longer appreciated for our skills or values. I look at the company that just laid off several of us old-timers and wanted to replace us with younger workers who they assumed would work hard for them. LOL, think again suits. You will not be successful with your greed and disregard for some of the best workers you will probably ever have.

There that is my speech for the day. Now I feel better.
Again, disagree that companies discriminate - Beentheredonethat
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't put birth date/age on resume, not necessary. You graduated, no year required either. Go back only 5-6 years of jobs; state years or type of experience in objective paragraph. I'm 57 years old and NEVER felt like anyone younger got *my job.* Skills are skills-- assertiveness and confidence in one's ability can't be ignored.
Back in the day - Dreamer
[ In Reply To ..]
Sadly many of us today are paid on the same pay scale as back in the 1970s and early 1980s. The atmosphere back then was much more helpful and respectful. Today, we have low wages and a terrible business climate in which to work as so aptly stated. As healthcare gets more complex, we have to keep up with all the changes in technology but never see any COL because we are tied to this CPL which goes down more than goes up.
This story was such a pleasure to read! - Boosted
[ In Reply To ..]
What a fantastic story! Thank you for posting it!

Similar Messages:

I'm So Discouraged
Oct 22, 2009

In the last month, i've had nothing but in-audible dictation to one degree or another.  Either ESL, plus background noise, bad audio/file, extremely fast talking, in-depth and complicated procedures with at least two corrections on each sentence.  Also running out of work at the beginning of the shift.  It just seems very hopeless and I worry about my finances all the time, and my health.  Just wanted to vent some, I just can't believe how awful its become here, I a ...

I Just Am So Discouraged.
Dec 28, 2009

I just had to send a report with 67...yes.. that's right, 67 QA markers.  I've been with this company since 2002, and never have I had such a difficult time with dictators.  I could make out about every 10th word or so.  To the poor soul who has to correct this report.. I am just so sorry.  I believe the most I've ever sent in after all these years was 19, and I thought I'd die when that happened.  I'm ready just to quit.... I don't make an ...

Discouraged
Apr 06, 2012

I'm so discouraged.  I just started and I'm not used to SR.  I'm not even close to what I need to get for line counts.  I only have done straight transcription in the past.  At this point, I want to throw in the towel, but it has been less than a week.  I totally dread going to work and I have NEVER felt that way with my other MT jobs.  Sorry for the depressing message, I'm just so lost.  And - I'm sure anyone that is used to SR would l ...

Getting So Discouraged....
Feb 28, 2014

I've been looking for a way out for over a year. Unemployed currently. Have applied to a multitude of jobs in my area.  No luck.  So I thought about pharm tech school.  Went to the school to register, class is full til next Jan.  So I'm back to searching MT jobs again, hating it, knowing the slave wage I will be offered.  Used to be in the past, if I applied for 5 jobs, I would get at least 4 responses and was able to pick and choose which company I wanted to ...

Tired And Discouraged
Jun 24, 2010

I was recently laid off as the account I was working on went to India.  I desperately need to be working as I have 2 kids to support.  I was offered a job at 0.03 a line editing.  I am debating whether I should accept this as it falls under the heading of  a job is better than no job and waitiing in the employment office really sucks and unemployment only pays $300 a week and this has to be more than that, right?  So my question is, do I take thiis and if so what kind of ...

New MT...feeling Very Discouraged
Sep 29, 2010

Hi, I have recently graduated from an MT program and have been spending a lot of time on this forum. It has made me think that I may have made a huge mistake. I understand that times are hard, but does anyone have any good advice? I just have been getting discouraged so much lately. I have two young children and want to be able to stay home and help my husband to take care of our family. He already works two jobs as it is (in the health care field) and we just want to get ahead. Did I make a mis ...

Downtrodden And Discouraged
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone else losing self-respect because they continue to stay working for a company they have little respect for any more? And for the lurking corporate suits out there, I would like to ask you your opinions on why YOU think people continue to work for the company after multiple pay cuts and almost impossibly high quotas to achieve? Do you think we have some kind of blind loyalty to the company that would compel us to even work for free?  Do you think we speak in loving tones when referenci ...

Beyond Discouraged RE QA Audits
Apr 29, 2012

I don't usually post here - guess I've reached my discouragement limit for the night! I work on a very difficult account as I'm sure many of you do as well, and I spend a great deal of time listening and re-listening to these difficult dictators to make sure I am hearing correctly.  I just checked my audits again and see that I have received another 1 point deduction on a post audit for something they heard differently that I apparently did.  It frustrates me no end that ...

Feel So Discouraged-sm
May 15, 2012

I just started with a new company. I've only been working a few weeks.  I feel lost.  No training to speak of on their software.  They often do not answer e-mails and on top of that they send e-mails every week threatening that if you do not do more, do it better, faster, etc. you will be out of a job.  Wow.....nice!  I am working hard and I do adhere to my committed hours and turn in quality work.  I don't know what else I can do.  I don't under ...

Feeling Very Discouraged
Aug 14, 2012

Good morning, everyone. I know a few of you followed the last couple times I posted about how I had gotten a new job with a reputable company and they would not let me off full QA and how I was getting only three reports a day. I then posted the news was better on Friday because I was let off QA and given two more accounts. This morning I am feeling pretty low. I now have a total of four accounts and no work in any of them. I was hired as an IC and told I would have steady work and that I ...

So Discouraged Fiesa
Aug 17, 2013

I don't usually post on here but I am so discouraged with the Fiesa major/critical errors - is anyone else getting them because they say you left a word out?  I listen SO HARD anymore (I even went and had a hearing test and Dr. check last week and my hearing is fine) to hear everything and yet apparently I'm not hearing everything.  I am in tears most of the time now. Sorry, I just wondered if anyone else has noticed an increase in this type of error lately.  Thanks ...

Overwhelmed, Scared, Discouraged
Jun 11, 2010

I just went through training with a new company. They seem like very nice people. But I feel so overwhelmed with everything that we went through in training, in a way I've never felt before. I feel unprepared to do my job on my start date. (Thankfully, it's not today). I feel like I can log in, and that's it. My trainer just blazed through everything as if I knew what she was talking about, as if I had done it all before. Like I said, she was super, super nice. But I feel lik ...

MT Training - Depressed, Discouraged
Aug 28, 2010

I graduated back in May of this year, from the MT program at a local two-year college. The program was a one-year program, but due to the way the required courses were scheduled, it took two years of attending full-time to finish it. I'm starting to wish I had discovered MTStars before I enrolled in the program; if I had known then what I know now about the MT field, it would have saved me almost $10,000 in tuition for training that feels worthless now! As I read postings by experienced ...

Bummed, Dejected And Discouraged
Jul 08, 2011

Found out today that I didn't get the transcription job with the local hospital. Wasn't even granted an interview, just told that there were "lots of applicants and to keep checking back." I was so hoping for a way out of the sQrew.   ...

Discouraged That QA Is Taking All The Good Work
Jun 26, 2014

While I sit here with the boring run-of-the-mill work. I know they are allowed to do this, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I don't blame them. I blame the powers that be who decided that was okay. I'm bored out of my mind. I really am. Maybe I should send some more work their way so I can get some decent work that won't put me to sleep. No, probably not a good idea. When I was working as a QA, I sure didn't do that. Just a vent. ...

Discouraged...are There Legit Good Companies Out There
Jan 13, 2015

I'm certainly getting discouraged by reading more and more on this board.  I used to work for MModal when it was Medquist and they seem just as bad on here.  TTS has bad reviews.  Seriously other than working at an office, which simply isn't feasible for me, are there any reputable, legit companies out there?  I went to the job seeker's board, but it seems it's all FT, or Nuance/TTS/MModal.  Glad I kept my other job, but I had wanted a little extra i ...

No-win Situation
Nov 22, 2010

I've been a transcriptionist for 29 years, the last 14 of which have been working from home.  My husband used to always carry me on his insurance but he lost his job (the plant closed down where he worked) and he has subsequently gone on disability.  He's 62, and is soon to be on Medicare.  I need insurance in a bad way, but I've tried and I just can't maintain 150 lines an hour.  I manage between 125-150.  I think holding us to a quota like ...

Bad, Bad Situation
Dec 23, 2012

I expect to get flamed or slammed here, but I have a question. Is there anyone else on this board that works for the measily 7 cpl for straight typing and if so, how in heck do you survive? I am a pretty fast typist and I use a word expander, but I find it almost impossible to make any kind of a living from this now. The last MTSO I worked for the hospital decided to go with the Q and I did find another MTSO to work for, but for 30% less than what I was making before. I have been an MT for 1 ...

NJA Situation
Jul 19, 2013

What are the jobs like today in other regions- Strategic is currently zero! Going to relax and enjoy my morning for now. Yesterday was zero also.  ...

What Do You Do In This Situation?
Sep 16, 2013

Doc is dictating and it makes Zero sense. There are several "sentences" where the words in no way, shape, or form make anything close to a formed thought. And just continues rambling. Do you all leave it word for word? not that I can remotely find a way to make it make sense, just curious and really frustrated. ...

OOW Situation - ??
Jun 10, 2015

Paycheck Friday will be almost 200 short.  Anyone's TSM giving them any input?  I doubt they are going to say --- QC now in the pool with you, but... We have lost no accounts, TSM says there have been no new hires in our group.  (like I believe everything I am told...) Tired of this crap. Would love to apply at WalMart but right now all the college kids are hired on.  Maybe after school starts, but in the meantime I am going to have to be a (&*^%*^ and steal wo ...

Need Some Input On My Situation
Jan 27, 2010

I have had offers from several different compaines this past week and I'm not sure which way to turn.  Can anyone give me some input on AssistMed, The Transcription Docs and Ascott Transcription (ATS).Thanks! ...

Landmarkers - Has Your Situation Gotten Better?
Jan 29, 2010

Has your situation gotten better?  Do you have enough work? ...

This No Work Situation Is Getting To Me. Am I The Only
Dec 21, 2011

one out here with nothing most of the time?  I filed for partial unemployment but I really don't know what that is going to do for me yet.  I am just trying to get through the holidays and then really pound the pavement looking for something else.  Right now there are just no jobs in my area.  Thank God my husband is working but we do need my pay to make ends meet, so I'm really discouraged what has happened since being bought.  Sorry to vent, I just feel reall ...

Coping With NSA Situation
Aug 07, 2012

How are you all coping with this NSA crap?   Giving up Friday evenings to try to make up hours is just not always possible.  Sometimes there are too many hours to make up anyway.  Most of my PTO was used up before they decided to let us take unpaid time off.  Second jobs?  Using PTO?  I know I am not alone in this situation, how are you all handling it?   ...

Hypothetical Situation
Feb 19, 2014

Let's say for a moment you get this kind of exchange: TSM: When will be making up the time you missed from your appointment? (note, MT was lying, this was really an interview for a job that didn't pan out) MT: I won't be. To be honest, I don't really like this line of work at all, my motivations are being here are strictly financial. Your company is just a stepping stone, a crutch, until I can find something that can get me out of this dying industry. Has management ...

Can Anyone Explain The Situation When You Are OOW
Mar 05, 2014

Every week on certain days there is no work so I am having to flex flex flex PTO PTO until all used up, etc. I have read of some of you getting minimum wage due to OOW, can someone tell me how to achieve that? I am so fed up with this. I am pretty much out of PTO and don't want to use it for this anymore. I work a second job because my pay has been halved with Nuance, yet I still have to also work around the clock just to get my hours in with Nuance. I think we all know if this were a re ...

Need Suggestions About Work Situation
Jan 01, 2010

I am an IC with a small MTSO and have been working there since the end of October.  My training was a total of 30 minutes maybe.  This company has no dedicated QA.  There is no company specifics manual.  There are no clear, concise specifics for each account, just samples which it turns out are incorrect or conflicting half the time.  I have to ask questions to the office manager who is not a transcriptionist and passes information on to another MT.  She does not un ...

This Really Reminds Me Of Our Collective Situation...
Aug 25, 2010

http://despair.com/viewall.html ...

Need Help With Shuting Down A KVM Switch Situation ...
Oct 08, 2010

Yesterday I had someone fix 2 computers with a KVM switch to share the monitor and keyboard... I know someone on here has this situation too,  How do you shut if down or turn it off... I did shut one down, but then could not get to the other with tapping the button twice as I do to switch between them...   Thanks in advance for any help... ...