A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TRANSPORTAL- NORTH CAROLINA - anon

Posted: Mar 23, 2011

So  Transportal now gets caught!  Wage and Hour walks in their doors and audits their payroll and they are made to pay out MTs that were not paid minimum wage or overtime.  When are these MTSOs going to stop thinking that because we work on production that we do not come under Wage and Hour laws!

Well I just hope that all those MTs that they didn't pay minimum wage to or overtime got the back wages they deserved.  Let it be a lesson to everyone that works at home as an employee, you are ENTITLED to overtime, and you are to be paid nothing less than minimum wage!  If you are working for a company as an employee and you are not being paid minimum wage, and/or overtime, you need to file a complaint with the Wage and Hour board in the state your company does business in.  You do not have to give your name! 

It's really the IRS who is all over this issue - NC MT

[ In Reply To ..]
My HR manager recently attended a seminar on this very thing. Evidently it is the #1 priority of the IRS to stop the practice of illegally using ICs as employees because the taxes do not end up getting paid. And overtime and minimum wage laws are not being followed.

Collection of those taxes would go a long way in eliminating our national debt. This former IRS agent said 500 auditors had been hired and MTSOs are on the target list. And they are supposedly paying 10% of the penalties/fines assessed to the whistleblower! All it takes is one phone call.

We have been warned in this industry for the last couple of years, so this company should have been it coming.

so are you telling me that . . . - OT is . . . .

[ In Reply To ..]
to be paid to you after your 40-hour work week or after an 8-hour a day (whatever the case may be) regardless of an approval by an immediate supervisor or the owner of the company or the man on the moon? am i understanding that correctly? regardless of whether it is approved or not by whomever, once over 40 hours in a work week or an 8-hour shift, an employer is obligated to pay an employee OT wages? did i get that right?

overtime pay - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, overtime must be paid for all employees who work over 40 hours in a work week for most states (over 8 hours a day for some states). This is for employees only. Additionally, every employee must earn at least the minimum wage for the state in which they live and work (not the state where the company is).

It is the company's responsibility to track hours and make sure the employee is reporting hours worked correctly.

These 2 rules apply to all employees but not to independent contractors. ICs can work as many hours as they'd like. However, ICs cannot be scheduled, must provide all their own equipment and contracts, and must have other clients to prove they are a business. Provide they have to have their own liability insurance.

Search on the Internet for the IRS rules about classifying someone an IC when they are treated like an employee. There are serious penalties, and if found out, the company even has to go back a period of years and pay health insurance if the employee is misclassified as a contractor. This is serious stuff and a lot of companies are not following the law on this, not just medical transcription. That's why the IRS is pursuing this so aggressively and is paying 10% of the penalties and fines back to those who report it. All it takes is a simple phone call to the IRS and they will investigate.

The earlier poster was correct: Unpaid taxes from ICs has been reported to be the #1 priority of the IRS right now at both federal and state levels.

DSG is next - just sayin

[ In Reply To ..]
DSG is next. They have violated the OT pay law for years.

Yes, OT needs to be paid, but the employee can be written up or - terminated for working unauthorized OT. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Totally correct. Where I work we are not allowed - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to work OT unless preapproved--which never happens. If you do it on your own, you can be terminated and you ARE NOT paid for it because you did it without approval.

so are you telling me that . . . - x2

[ In Reply To ..]
even though it is an OT law and you have your 40 hours, unless a higher authority authorizes OT pay, you worked OT for nothing (okay, your basic hourly wage)? So what incentive is there to work either past your shift or on your day off if you have to get approval for OT even though it is a law? sometimes there are too many "gray" areas. seems to me this is basic black and white, you work over 40 hours, you get OT, period . . . or should someone wake me up cuz i'm dreaming?
have to pay OT even if unauthorized - oldMT
[ In Reply To ..]
They may terminate you for not following policy, but they still have to pay the OT you worked, even if you did it without their permission. If you report it, they have to pay it. And they have responsibility for ensuring you're working what you're reporting. It's the employer's responsibility, not the employee's.

Did You Witness This? - TXMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope this is something you know first hand and are not just spreading rumors. I assume you were actually in the corporate office when Wage and Hour representatives walked in? If you don't know this from a company notification or for having seen it yourself, this is nothing but a rumor.

Considering the level of work Transportal is offering, if anyone is not making minimum wage I really don't think the company is the one to blame. When I was there it was clinic notes accounts with few doctors and the pay was 7 cpl for employee or 8 cpl for IC. At a required 1200 lines per day even if you are taking 8 hours to transcribe reports that you can easily have macros for most of the report for that is $12.88 per hour before taxes if you're an IC paid at 8 cpl. Not outstanding but certainly not the lowest out there. We're not talking transcribing neurosurgery here, folks. I'm not speaking badly of the company at all, just saying the work was not exactly what I would call challenging and certainly would lead to making above minimum wage. I would have had to actually make an effort to go slow to make minimum wage.

This sounds like a case of sour grapes being spread by someone who couldn't make production. I don't mean the OP, but whomever originated what could possibly be a rumor. If you're on a heavy ESL account or an extremely challenging account with hundreds or thousands of dictators then I can understand expecting a company to bump you to minimum wage, but at the same time if an MT is not able to make a very reasonable line goal then you really have to question who is at fault here. I have never made as low as minimum wage beyond about the first 3 weeks of work, and yes I work in acute care on a heavy ESL account. I don't think it is fair to blame the MTSOs for every bit of this, especially in this case.

Posted under wrong response -sm - TXMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I apologize to the person above my original post as my reply was not to him/her but rather to the OP. :-)

Go t an email from my MTSO saying to read it BEFORE or AFTER our shifts - I believe this is illegal as well

[ In Reply To ..]
Being as it is work related, it should be read during the course of our shift, not on our own private time.

It seems these companies just get greedier and greedier and more blatant in their breaking of labor laws.

I'm glad some of them are getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar, so to speak.

way around it - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The way my employer gets around it is he only pays for actual typing. So if you spend five minutes looking up patient information to fill in the demographic screen he does not pay you for that. I can actually work my 80 hours and his calculations show I only worked 56 hours. I transcribe radiology reports so you are in and out of them pretty fast (I type around 150 reports per day) so that is a lot of time spent filling in patient info that I am not getting paid for. We are also required to send emails and post it notes about problems with reports that of course we do not get paid for. I think this is illegal too, but not sure who to call. Any help?

Make a beeline to call the wage and hour division in your state - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're an employee, if you're an IC it doesn't matter. That is absolutely illegal. Even if paid on production, production has to be converted to an hourly rate on reported hours worked. Good luck!

This is absolutely illegal especially if you are - An employee

[ In Reply To ..]
You ought to report it, thats b.s. and when they review him, they will catch it and make him rectify this. If you are working, i.e. looking up demos for reports, then you should be paid. If you are sitting at your desk finding info for his work, you are working.

Ifyou are sending feedback.. doing anything that will monetarily benefit him, you are working for him and should be paid..

if you are an employee. An IC is different i think.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Have Any Info On Transportal North Carolina?
Feb 03, 2011

, ...

North Carolina MTs And TAA -- URGENT
Jan 19, 2010

Please send a copy of the email or details from phone message from the  Grover Houck that stated you need a letter of layoff to this email williams-raysor.rosemary@dol.gov I talked to Rosemary.  She is the TAA REGIONAL DIRECTOR for 8 states including NC.  She is intervening but needs copies of emails sent stating MTs would not qualify unless submitting the layoff letter from Medquist. Please call her.  She wants to talk to other MTs.  Please call and/or send email ...

STS Transcription In North Carolina
Mar 01, 2010

Does anyone know anything about STS transcription based out of North Carolina? ...

DIT Transcription In North Carolina?
Aug 26, 2010

DIT Transcription in North Carolina ...

MVTS In NORTH CAROLINA
Jun 22, 2012

Does anyone have any recent information or work experience with this company? They are hiring VR editors and paying .03 a line.  Is this good/decent pay for VR or no? I have searched the archieves, but would like to hear from anyone who has or does currently work for this company with more recent information and experience! Thank you. ...

United Transcription In North Carolina?
Aug 07, 2012

Does anyone have any information on United Transcription in North Carolina? Thinking about applying with this company and too many scams out there, no tolerance for another scam... Thanks clm ...

United Transcription Out Of North Carolina
Sep 12, 2013

Any information on this company would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks It is getting worse by the day in finding jobs anymore no matter what field one is in.   ...

United Transcription Located In North Carolina?
Aug 26, 2010

Can you share your experiences with this company?   Thanks ...

United Transcription In North Carolina, Any Current Info??-sm
Aug 25, 2010

They're supposed to send transcription test today. It's been a few wks since I applied so forget what ad said. Found some posts in archives and somewhat concerned. One said they use "tests" to get actual work done, hired but never heard from again, another said scam (from 2006), pay 7.5 cents for 17 yrs of exp with clunky platform, and so on. But also looks like there are few different companies with same name. Already make over 7.5 cents so not interested in doing their test if that&# ...

Transcription Solutions LLC North Carolina Hourly Position?
Apr 09, 2012

They offer an hourly wage for an IC position.  Anyone know what they are like to work for?   ...

Has Anyone Heard Of A + Network Out Of North Carolina Or Arrendale Associates?
Oct 24, 2012

Found some job openings from a company in North Carolina. I emailed asking for more info because the ad didn't give enough for me to feel comfortable sending a resume. Got an answer back stating a small company, bought out by Arrendale Associates. Any info appreciated. ...

MTVS - Medical Transcription Voice Technology Inc. North Carolina?
Mar 17, 2012

Not much in archives & I just started IC with them as a temp position until I find something better.  The pay is not great but it is per 63 character line count and the acute account I'm on double spaces PE section so that helps.  Platform is DocQscribe which has to be the easiest one I've ever used out of M*Modal/eScription..etc.  The speech rec is not as precise as eScription but on the + positive side this IS the 1st company that doesn't QA NITPICK unnecessar ...

Seeking Transcription Solutions LLC North Carolina Current Or Former MT Feedback
Jul 25, 2012

Can any current or former MT's with this company give some honest feedback of what on earth this company is about? It is managed by 3 women, and I'm about to blow from the insanity of this place. I wouldn't even know where to begin the list is so long. Anyone want to be anonymous pen-pals? I fully understand and respect discretion regarding such a sensitive subject. Please, tell me somebody else is out there who knows exactly how I feel... ...

Interim QA Gone - North Or West (or North By Northwest) With Apologies To Alfred Hitchcock !
Apr 05, 2011

Ours from the West has (thankfully) gone back to being another MME like the rest of us poor mortals.  I found her e-mails to be bossy, snippy, condescending and picky to the point of absurdity.  The frosting on the cake was the recent e-mail that said MT's are to be held at fault if the doctor makes a mistake on a lab value, med dosage, etc.  Some people get a little taste of power and become unbearable.  I, for one, bid her a joyful farewell because ...

Anyone Who Doesn't Have Work Ask To Move To North, North Is Swamped
Oct 19, 2013

If your bob never has work, ask to move to the north. We even got an e mail from the head of work routing, stating they need everyone to work.  That never happens.  If you need work and are constantly out, ask to move. ...

Transportal - Anyone Have Info On Transportal?
Sep 18, 2010

Does anyone have info on Transportal? ...

Just Tested With United In N. Carolina
Jun 03, 2013

Just tested with United in N. Carolina. I need FT status. Please tell me about this company. Looks like good hours (7-3), but says "flexible" how does that work? Also, is it straight typing or VR or both? Benefits? PTO? Thanks! ...

Inscribe, Llc - South Carolina
Feb 18, 2014

does any one have recent info on them? i think i read somewhere that they are not as friendly or one big family as their posting says they are. i also read somewhere that the owner is bipolar and that there is a transcription school attached to them, that their pay is low, and you get a million and one emails a day. i don't want to take their test and be told i failed even though i passed test. also, i am looking for information on one-on-one information services. they have a job posting o ...

Tssc South Carolina
Feb 25, 2015

I would like some info on this company if anyone has any.  Thinking of applying there.  ...

Transcription Solutions Of South Carolina
Oct 11, 2011

Has anyone taken the test for Transcription Solutions of South Carolina and received any results? ...

Info On Transcription Solutions Of South Carolina
Apr 02, 2014

Any current MTs working for or any previous MTs who have worked with Transcription Solutions of South Carolina? I have submitted my resume for their recent job opening post. Just wondering about the company. All I can find in the archives is old, from 2007. Just wondering general things. Do they pay on time? Have plenty of work? Good company to work for? ANY information is greatly appreciated. ...

I Was Looking Into Transportal?
Dec 05, 2010

I was looking into Transportal?  I was wondering if you can do over the 1200 minimum lines required each day or if they don't like it when you go over your minimum?  Does anyone love working for Transportal?    Thanks ...

Transportal IC
Dec 12, 2010

Is anyone IC status at Transportal?  Do you have a HIPPA policy in place?  What is everyone's experience with IC versus employee status with Transportal?   Thanks     ...

TransPortal --- RUN!!
Mar 29, 2011

Just got hired with them... and I'm on my last day of the first pay period... and let me tell you!!!   If you get an offer... RUN!! It sounds good, but is far from it!  Their sound files are horrible, they don't pay you any kind of training pay ( which I mistakenly MISSED on my part!! oops.. won't make that mistake again), and only give you LIMITED WORK while on QA review which amounts to like 200-300 lines a day!, and.... they have no account specifics whatsoever f ...

Transportal Do VR?
May 10, 2011

Does TP do VR?  thanks! ...

Transportal. Yay? Nay? Sm
May 13, 2011

Also, I have been using a C phone for years. Is it reeeeeally hard to learn the platform? Do they walk you through it? Having major anxiety! ...

Transportal MTs
Jan 24, 2012

Was the recent account lost, their ortho account?  I was thinking of applying but don't want to waste me time if they don't have their big ortho anymore. ...

What Is Up With TransPortal?
Nov 21, 2012

I am very good in orthopedics, have done quite a bit in my many years of transcription, did well on the tests as far as I could tell, but got an email that I didn't qualify. Now I see they have another job posting for the same job. What's up? Is it hard to get a job with them. Seriously, orthopedics is my thing and I am well experienced at it. I applied again just in case. Any infro anyone can give on getting a job there? Are they just hard to get a job with? ...

Transportal Ad?
Jun 24, 2013

It looks like the Transportal ad was taken down.  Did anyone see if they filled their positions?  I am interested in applying. ...

TransPortal ICs
Apr 01, 2014

With the new IC agreement due this week has anyone decided to write more than 8 cents on page 4 of the agreement on #1 under the Compensation heading?  Do any ICs make more than 8 cents at TransPortal?  I am thrilled with the flexibility of TransPortal.  However, it would obviously be nice to have a raise. ...