A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTs in the State of Tennessee - Cordy

Posted: Sep 23, 2013

I was just laid off last Thursday.  For MTs that live in the State of Tennessee and have recently gotten laid off, how hard did you find it to filling out that log sheet to prove that you are looking for a job while drawing UE benefits.  I noted that one has to log in that log sheet  3  different companies that they are actually looking for work weekly.   There are only so many online MT jobs that one could contact.  I noted they mention job fairs, private employment agencies.  I looked at the State of Tenn Jobs available yesterday and there were only 7 MT jobs and most were in Middle Tenn and West Tenn.  It is mandatory filling out that log sheet and if you do not you will  not get any benefits at all.  Since being a remote MT for 25 years, it almost impossible to find a job in my area as most docs in this are are using the point and click programs and do not need an MT at all like my family physician's office.   I am not sure if I could use the same ones mentioned weekly for example on MT Daily over and over.  I want to work and not draw but sometimes there are circumstances that one has to use that UE Benefits until they find a job. Most of the hospitals in my area outsource to big national companies.  

I was just curious if any MT in Tenn had a hard time actually proving they are looking.  I am not trained in any other profession and at my age of 63 it is getting more difficult.  Also I do not have any experience in VR which is a negative against me, but I am willing to learn but not many companies will give you a chance to learn.  I also have 34 years of acute care experience.  I hate this has happened, but I am not the only one in this predicament.  I will keep looking though daily.

Cordy -- I do not live in TN, but... - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I filed UE living in Florida. We had to provide 5 jobs every week, so for a 2 week period, a total of 10 jobs. I believe that when I filed, I indicated that I was interested in secretarial-clerical type postions and in addition to medical transcription jobs, I listed those types of jobs. Checked the listing for Petco and Petsmart as well. Basically, any type of position that I could think of and even applied for jobs out of state, because I was willing to relocate and did not have to worry about small children. (I'm 58 and have been an MT for 33 years).

If you have a university near by, check those listings as well as your local city and county governments. I see as well that you are 63. Have you thought about applying for early SS benefits? Because you can apply for SS and still earn a certain amount every year. Just a thought and hope this helps.

Unemployment - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You just have to apply for jobs, but I certainly wouldn't use the same companies. Just because places locally use VR or EMR, doesn't mean you actually "know" that if you get what I mean. Go put your resume in and apply there. It will at least get you some entries on your form, as well as prospectively applying for something else that you may end up liking.

Go through the phone book - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Go through the phone book and send a resume to any and ALL medical facilities in your area, whether they are hiring or not. All the UE office wants to know is that you are trying to find a job. As long as you are sending resumes and filling out applications, they don't check to see if the office was actually hiring or not. Another bit of advise, don't apply anywhere that is not in the field you want to work - for instance, if you apply for a job at McDonalds just to say you applied and they happen to call and offer you a job that you turn down, UE office can deny you UE benefits because you were offered a job but chose not to take it. Only apply at places that you want to work just in case something actually does get offered to you.

Apply for any kind of job - scour Craigs list

[ In Reply To ..]
for UE purposes, apply for anything and everything that sounds somewhat plausible or something you might be able to do. I have done this the last few months, never hear back from anything, but it satisfies the search requirement.

Seriously consider getting Social Security. If you plan to wait until 66-2/3... it will take you over 10 years to recoup the $$ you did not get between now and then.

On the "other" jobs... just attach your resume to the email and do a short letter like
"I am interested in learning more about your position for window washer and potential employment with your company"

GOOD LUCK

VR to me like falling off a log - backwards

[ In Reply To ..]
so easy, just reading along and change if something wrong, use mouse and just edit. You really need no training, day or so.

MTs in the State of Tennessee - Cordy

[ In Reply To ..]
I filed for early SS retirement 1-1/2 years ago but is not enough to go around and that is the reason I was working 25 to 30 hours a week. Also I cannot go out and work in the public that easy as I have a couple of medical issues that it would be hard for me to do that. That is the reason I need to work from home, but I have a few good prospects now. The reason I filed for UE early was I had no job and bills were coming in. I did not want to file early as I was penalized $300, but at the time I had no choice and at least I can count on that every month until Congress has another idea of getting rid of SS. All they do anymore is just make speeches all day and pity on the poor working middle to lower class people. There is no way they could make it in our shoes.

When I filed for UE in RI...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
we also had to keep a log of job applications. I sent out about 30 apps in a 2-month period of time, to on-line MT companies and a few local jobs. Toward the end of the 2 months, I heard from 3 companies within the space of 2 days wanting to interview me. I interviewed with all of them, and then chose the one I wanted, which happened to be mostly SR/VR which I had never done. They trained me. It took a couple of months to get up to speed, but I'm still there almost 2 years later. Just start sending out applications. It's not that hard. You probably will only hear from a small fraction of them. Success comes in the number you send out.

Similar Messages:

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

Any Tennessee MTs On Here
Apr 13, 2011

Looks like they got rid of the state boards?  Any Tennessee MTs on this forum? ...

Networking In Tennessee
Jan 25, 2011

I am enrolled in CareerStep and almost finished with the program. I am looking for other CS students or graduates living in Tennessee to network with ...

DTS Oklahoma (formerly Of Tennessee Perhaps)?
Nov 30, 2011

Does anyone currently work for or have in the past worked for DTSOK (Digital Transcription Systems of Oklahoma) who could shed some light on this company good or bad?  I see they are hiring for several acute care positions, but there is not very much information in the archives about them one way or the other, unlike some of the MTSOs.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Job For MT In Tennessee Office??
Jun 09, 2012

I saw a post on here from a few days ago and just had to ask is this really for an inhouse job?  I thought they did away with inhouse jobs.  the post did say $15 an hour.  Maybe we can hope that will be our pay in the compensation package??  I know that is a far fetch but one can only hope that there is some relief coming. ...

Volunteer Transcription Out Of Tennessee?
Nov 02, 2009

Does anyone work for Volunteer Transcription out of Tennessee?  Is the workflow consistent?  ESLs?  QA issues?  Pay issues? Thanks for your input. ...

Jackson, Tennessee Hospital Let Their MTs Go, Too
May 29, 2010

West Tennessee Healthcare in Jackson, Tennessee let all of their MTs go too (end of last year).  They now outsource 100 percent of their dictation.  ...

Cbay/Spheris/MQ In Tennessee?
Oct 21, 2010

Spheris parent — now HQed in Franklin — files for IPO By Erin Lawley Posted on October 20, 2010 at 8:17 am Middle Tennessee soon will have another locally based public company — though its “localness” may come as a surprise. CBaySystems Holdings — whose MedQuist subsidiary purchased Franklin-based Spheris out of bankruptcy for $116 million earlier this year — has filed for a $115 million initial public offering and listed Spheris’ Carothers Par ...

If You Work In Tennessee, No More Overtime!
May 12, 2013

Unbelievable. http://tndp.org/blog/2013/05/09/u-s-house-republican-majority-votes-to-axe-40-hour-work-week/ ...

Info Volunteer Transcription Out Of Tennessee
Aug 05, 2010

Can anyone who current works for or have worked for in the past give me any info on Volunteer Transcription out of Johnson City, Tennessee. Please feel free to E-mail me if you prefer. Any info would greatly be appreciated, in particular pay issues, work load, communication. They seem really nice, but I just got that "sinking feeling." TIA ...

S/l "palasiffy" State Or "palesippy" State
Feb 05, 2010

patient is depressed and stressed over being a college student in a "palesippy" state??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! Abby ...

S/L "Tennessee Slider Half Inches" OP Note
Jan 13, 2011

He is talking about a SLAP tear repair, but I'm never comfortable with typing OPs, and this isn't something that I've heard of before.  My Ortho book AND my surgical equipment book seem to have just walked off!  I'm in tears because I can't STAND this doc!  Help!!! ...

Pay Per State
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder if the cpl is equal throughout all states.  If someone living in NY or CA  gets 10 cpl, that same 10 cpl in Arkansas would be worth twice as much. ...

State Of The Malunion
Apr 15, 2010

I Googled "medical transcription quality India" and received 671,000 results to choose from.  Indian companies are courting hospitals, doctors, and law firms in America and several other countries in order to get their business. American MTSOs that don't outsource really need to publicize it and American based transcriptionists would do well to show their solidarity by working for such companies.  It is not just MQ.  The industry is apparently wounded in t ...

Moving To Another State
May 06, 2011

I'm thinking about moving to another state which is pretty far from where I am now.  Does anyone know if I could keep my current accounts, or will MQ require I switch to a local hospital account in the area I'll be moving to?  ...

Sad, Sad State Of Affairs
Dec 02, 2011

All the threads about fighting to get paid minimum wage (you go, girls!) make me incredibly sad.  So I started reminiscing about my early days in the profession.... In the good ole days, we were paid a fair, decent rate. In the good ole days, we got to interact with the docs we transcribed for.  If you had a blank, he would tell you what it was! In the good ole days, we got an extra paycheck and a generous gift for Christmas.  (One year I got a small cooler filled with seafood ...

Registering As An IC With Your State
Mar 23, 2012

I found out that the goverment is putting a stop to treating ICs as employees and ICs are not getting employee benefits.  I was told today that the new laws require and IC to register under a trade name in their State. There is no license involved. I tried to get info on line on how to do it but no luck. The offices are closed now so I will have to wait until Monday.  As anyone else done this.  ...

You Know, The State Next To Louisiana
Dec 19, 2012

I think this has got to be my new handle. ...

Post??? State
Feb 07, 2013

After obtaining informed consent and in the ( s/l post??? state), the patient was brought to the tilt table study room Any suggestions what this can be? ...

MUP/state Min Wage Etc.
Feb 12, 2015

This may be a stupid question, but is the minimum for lines expected changed in a state where the minimum wage is higher? I was fired in June for not reaching the min daily line count and went below 99% on 2 of the 3 weeks I was on probation. Illinois has an $8.25 min wage. I was at 98.25% for 2 out of the 3 weeks. (I know that has nothing to do with my question...) I want to remind everybody AGAIN, if you are threatened in any way about losing your job, FIND A WAY TO COPY THE EMAILS! I ...

Question For Washington State ICs
Nov 18, 2009

I've heard that in Washington State you have to pay a tax called "business and occupation taxes".  Is this true?  If so what does it cost?   Looking at moving to Washington State and trying to figure out all the taxes beforehand (if there would be a benefit business wise to move out of Oregon).  Here in OR I pay a business tax of $50/year.  Just wondering what all the taxes in Washington would be. If anyone is not sure, can you direct me to where I might find this o ...

Does Your Company Withhold State Tax?
Feb 12, 2010

I have been in the interview process with a national and was informed state tax would not be withheld.  In that case, they would also not be paying into unemployment in my state.  I am trying to protect myself in the event I need unemployment for lack of work or lay offs in the future and this was a real let down to me regarding this company.  Is this how most nationals work? ...

No State Taxes Withheld
Aug 04, 2011

I have an interview with a hospital that will not take out state taxes, but does take out federal taxes.  The hospital is in a state where no state taxes are required, but I live in a state where I have to pay.  How does this process work and what would this entail for me if I get an offer on this job?  It provides health insurance, medical, dental, and vision, but no state taxes.  Will that affect social security?  Anyone know the process and percentage to withhold, how ...

Payroll State Tax Question
Dec 05, 2011

If you work at home and live in a state that has no state tax but work for a company located in a state that has state income tax, do they take state tax out of your pay for the state that the company is located in or do you pay no state tax due to the state you live in?  I just started a new company this week and was curious. ...

What Would Help With Companies Advertizing Would State Sm
Mar 15, 2012

what speciality they are looking for.  On certain boards it says any specialty but then when you read on it says something like 3 years of acute care.  Others do not say what they are looking for.  I don't want to waste my time sending a resume and they are not looking for what I can offer.  ...

DQS-7 System Requirements State 4 GB RAM For
Jul 30, 2012

Windows 7-64 bit.  My Windows 7-64 bit computer only has 2 GB of RAM.  Is anybody else using a Windows 7-64 bit computer with less than 4 GB of RAM?  ...

Hm, Applied To The State For A Transcriptionist Job
Sep 16, 2012

State is cali, and they're broke but the position is temporary (2 years) and with full benefits. The person who called me said he will be doing his best to push my application forward in the least amount of time but may take up to 3-4 months to actually get the job. Pay is in the low 30,000 range but better than I'm making now plus steady work that will give me a year or two to be able to pay my bills while exploring other career options/schooling once this dries up. I'm cautious ...

Stench-Tel; Something Is Rotten In The State Of MA
Jan 17, 2013

Makes you want to puke on your shoes. ...

Applying For Out Of State Jobs
Mar 01, 2013

I'm sure that this question has been asked and answered before, but wanted to bring it up again.  Have any of you ever applied for an MT position for a clinic or hospital that was out of state and asked if you could work from home for the clinic/hospital, and you were hired by the clinic/hospital?  I see so many ads for MTs, but none are in my state and more than most times, they don't list whether telecommuting is an option (perhaps it is assumed in that regard that the posi ...

State HIPAA Test
Oct 05, 2013

Has anyone else had a problem with the state HIPAA test part of the HIPAA exam? I passed the first, standard HIPAA exam without a problem, but no matter what I put or don't put on the state exam, I keep getting marked as Incorrect on a couple of them. Going back over the test and re-answering according to the answers given only results in an Incorrect also. I've done this over and over and could cry, but I'm also furious. Any suggestions? ...