A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Keystrokes insurance question - sm

Posted: Dec 05, 2012

I have not been at KS very long, but in the short time I have there have been multiple insurance changes.  Can anyone shed some light?  Is this normal for them or just a fluke recently?  If it is normal, does anyone know why the do it this way?

I can fill you in, as I have been there for 9 years. sm - KSMT

[ In Reply To ..]
They had Guardian, which was really good medical insurance, covered everything. Guardian got out of medical insurance in June 2011, so we lost them. I was really upset about that. I was more upset that KS went with a mini-med plan, which means that it is really not medical insurance. The reason given was that not enough people were taking coverage and the big companies turned them down. My SIL works in insurance, and she said that is very common.

This year, they were working on getting us back major medical. They were looking at BCBS and United Health Care. BCBS was going to be the insurance but at the last minute, United Health Care gave lower rates with better coverage. I prefer UHC because I had it with my ex-husband's company a few years back, so I was happy for the announcement. This will be UHC for at least two years. I hope it's permanent but I think that with Obamacare, everything is in the air for everyone. I'm just glad to have "real" insurance again!

SM on KS "Insurance" - TruthTeller

[ In Reply To ..]
First off, you must meet their minimum requirements to get the insurance - and even if you have no work due to lack of work, they will tell you that YOU do not qualify. The new health plan they have will NOT cover anything pre-existing for a year - so plan on paying out of pocket for at least that time. KS decided instead of giving rebates to former employees, they would get this new insurance- but trust me- not many will make their required "quota."

speaking of quota - Notanmls

[ In Reply To ..]
Speaking of quota, am I the only one who got that juicy resignation letter? is my new hero. SHe really told a tale.
Oh yes - BonnieW
[ In Reply To ..]
I got the email! You got her last name wrong, but that is okay - we should protect who she is - but what she said was spot on!
wondering - Notanmls
[ In Reply To ..]
...if they will read it now that the rest of us did! bet they wrote her up too, "not that it matters". I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling for lines and not being heard about it.
Loved it! - StillLaughing
[ In Reply To ..]
I think it was inadvertantly sent to the entire company. That woman is my hero. I, too, left Keystrokes a while back for all of the reasons she stated in that email. She hit the nail right on the head with everything she said. I couldn't have said it any better myself and I applaud her for having the courage to tell it like it really is. I can only hope that everyone in management takes the time to read the entire email and realize that they are driving away their high quality MTs. She definitely is not the only Keystrokes employee who feels that way. I know that for a fact. Leaving Keystrokes was the best decision I have ever made. I am a much happier MT now that I am with a company who actually cares and is much more professional and much more organized. I agree that we should not mention this MTs name on this site or any other to protect her identity.
I think she should have been fired long ago. I have worked with her and she is NOT a good MT. sm - KS MT2
[ In Reply To ..]
Did you really read what she was saying? She said that she could not meet the requirements, that she would not work on Fridays.

She is a disgrace to those of us that work hard and are full time.

Shame on all of you. If you're so bitter, you should leave. There are plenty of us who love working for Keystrokes.
Another thing - shakinghead
[ In Reply To ..]
... refusing to take on a secondary account or learning another dictator on that account when offered is showing how unwilling to work she really is. I have a primary and a secondary and access to one other major account should I run low on work. Learning a secondary account's specs is not difficult to do. I worked for a transcription company (actually 2) where I had to learn many, many different facilities specs depending on what jobs came up in the cesspool. That was difficult. Two accounts, or even 3 good ones, is not hard to do.
You are so right. - Happy@KS
[ In Reply To ..]
It's counterproductive to me to complain about not having work, and yet in the same breath refuse to switch your schedule around or take on a secondary account to increase your production.

I've been with KS 6 years, and every time I've had an issue with something they are willing to help you resolve it. Sure everybody has a gripe every now and then no matter where they work. No workplace is perfect.
Agreed - KS MT 3
[ In Reply To ..]
We all can agree that this field has gone down the tubes, at least for the almost 18 years I've been in it. Yes, I made more money as an MT 15 years ago than I do today. But ... this is indicative of the industry as a whole. Your job as an MT is what YOU make of it, good or bad. I take full advantage of work offered to me, offer to learn new things. For example, learning new specialties, make yourself valuable and very versatile, it helps YOU the most. Or even take on the dreaded VR (I did when it was first available to me years and years ago at another company. I hate the pay, yes, and the pay is unfair, but I do straight transcription and VR and can do various specialties, clinics, and hospitals, but that is only because I offered to learn it when the opportunities arose. So sitting and complaining and having a tantrum only hurts YOU, not the company. I have kids to feed, to send to college, and rent to pay, and you bet I take full advantage of every opportunity I can, even more so with the state of this industry as it stands today.
I've been in her position. Sometimes it's safer not - to take that new account, because - S/M
[ In Reply To ..]
if management is already on your case, the inevitable mistakes you'll make during the learning curve will give them "grounds" for termination.

It's a racket, people. These MTSOs are gaming the "system", and pulling every underhanded trick in the book to keep MT turnaround high, and squeeze every single penny than can out of them before forcing them to quit.
How long - Curious
[ In Reply To ..]
had she been there?
LOL - Suit, much? - Pffftt!
[ In Reply To ..]
What a see-through response.
How do you know about her work? I do not know - the work of MTs on my account.
[ In Reply To ..]
It is also none of my business. That is something management and the coordinator should only know. That is also something the coordinator and management should not be discussing with anyone, especially other MT's. Unless you are management, it is none of your business.
If you quit there, how did you get the email? Trust me, management is laughing at HER. sm - KSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I bet they were trying to get rid of her and pushed her out the door because she would not do what she was supposed to. If her email grammar, spelling and content are representative of her MT skills, she would be lucky to get a job in India.
A friend sent it to me - StillLaughing
[ In Reply To ..]
A good friend of mine who still works there and is absolutely miserable forwarded it to me. Trust me, everything this MT said was true. I worked at Keystrokes long enough to know that.
If this so-called friend (is she an imaginary friend?) is so miserable, sm - LaughingHarder
[ In Reply To ..]
why doesn't she quit? I have been with KS long enough to know that the really great MTs stay and do well and the rest leave. Absolutely miserable people do not stay with companies, they move on. Unless, of course, she has already burned through the other companies out there. Why don't you get her in where you are? That's what a "good friend" would do if their friend was unhappy.

Sick of the bashing, sick of the negativity on this board, sick of the attitude of so many people in this country that do not want to work to do well.
To answer your question... - StillLaughing
[ In Reply To ..]
This friend is NOT an imaginary friend and has been working for Keystrokes for several years now. She used to love it and always passes her QA audits with flying colors, but lately has been extremely unhappy with the way things have been going there. I can't say that I blame her as I left for the same reasons. To satisfy your curiosity, I have offered to recommend her to my company, but she does not want another MT job and is looking to get out of this field entirely. She is only staying at Keystrokes until she figures out what she wants to do.
That's BS. "Really great MTs" DON'T stay on at these - lousy jobs. Most have gotten out.
[ In Reply To ..]
I was thinking - Happy@KS
[ In Reply To ..]
the same thing. The grammar, punctuation and spelling in that e-mail was horrendous.
Why should that matter? Those illiterate suits wouldn't - be able to tell the difference, anyway. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think they become suits if they are illiterate. I know that most have advanced degrees - LongTimeMT
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Hilarious! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, so you ''know that most have advanced degrees''?! How silly--but thanks anyway for the good laugh.
Jealous much? - geez
[ In Reply To ..]
I will never understand the anti-suit rant.
The owner will be in "detective" mode now trying to find the "inside traitor." - Hehehehe
[ In Reply To ..]
Expect a firing frenzy in the office today!!
Traitor - Traitor
[ In Reply To ..]
Inside traitor. Where did you come up with that from?
Management couldn't even find the door if there weren't - an "EXIT" sign pointing the way.
[ In Reply To ..]
what the - ??
[ In Reply To ..]
What in the world are you people talking about ... traitors and management not finding the door? I've worked for plenty of MT companies and usually in the half-way decent companies, management is not on your butt unless there is a good reason. I do my job and am left alone.
You obviously don't keep up on things. The owner has turned over the reins to others. sm - Working for another MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
I think they are selling. I was at AHIMA, and she was awful friendly with the Nuance people. I said hi and she didn't even know who I was even though I have met her a few times. She too involved in her conversation with 3 Nuance big-whigs to step down from her high horse to talk to little ole me.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement before the end of the year, so that she can benefit from the Bush tax cuts before they expire. Not that she needs more money; you should see the gigantic rock on her finger!
Ha - Seriously
[ In Reply To ..]
That e-mail was not inadvertantly sent ... it was purposely cc'ed to everyone by the author.

I have some of those same issues with KS, but I honestly did not need to be privy to her gripes with her employment. I have my own gripes and those who have gripes, know what they are.

The only thing that went through my head was oh yeah, stay classy ...

And no worries ... she just gave me more work by resigning.
Exactly - fm
[ In Reply To ..]
That's exactly what I thought. What a way to burn bridges too. She talked about her many years in the field but completely negated her so-called professionalism with that email.
AHDI killed "professionalism" in this business a - long, long time ago. -nm
[ In Reply To ..]
email - KSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
So...how come all of you here that think her email was "right on" and support her, didn't reply back to all and add your two cents worth and help her tell it like it is? I didn't see any support emails come through...just sayin.
My two cents - EX KSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, in answer to the person who was wondering why more MTs have not responded in favor of the girl who wrote the resignation is probably because they are afraid of retribution. I am an ex KSMT so I don't have to worry about that anymore. I know that awhile back a person quit and left a message on the KS Facebook page stating she was leaving but wanted to remain friends with the MTs she had met. No big deal. She did not badmouth KS but only stated she needed benefits and more work. Again, no big deal. Yet the response from the office was quite a diatribe and then the posting was deleted altogether. Someone did at that time say that MTs should be able to say whatever they want on that page without fear of retribution but I don't blame MTs for not believing that. Have you not heard about all the recent firings?

As for myself, I had been hired for a specific account that did not work out (as has been said many times). It (I) was a real mess and going downhill fast - working on many various accounts - and then came along a really good account. But that didn't last too long because in only a few months it was so overstaffed we sat more than worked. And yes, I did ask why that happened and was told (by the office) that the additional MTs had been put on the account because the accounts they had been hired for didn't work out and they didn't know what else to do with them. And before you say I am probably a crappy MT, that would not be true. I work very hard at my job, first of all correctly and then as quickly as possible. I had made excellent money in the past and am again now (thanks in large part to the many fantastic shorthand programs out there, easily doubling my salary over the years). I even worked on my various shorthand programs on my own time to further my proficiency. I always had good counts, whether by report or lines, and commendations for outstanding work. And I was not afraid to learn new accounts, I actually enjoyed it (I can only remember 9 accounts at this time but I'm sure there were more). I continued hoping and believing. But even I couldn't take the pay cuts and lack of insurance anymore.

And for those still there, double check the quotas for the insurance and PTO. You might be surprised when you really sit down to figure it all out. I am glad I don't have UHC - had it in the past and it was awful. Better check your deductibles too. As far as Obamacare, that doesn't start until January 2014.

And as far as I am concerned, anyone sticking up for KS is either an extremely naive newbie or an office shill (nothing new on this one). Maybe you actually have a good account to work on at this time but don't hold your breath for too long. I believe I could have also written a 3 page resignation letter but I was just so glad to be gone I didn't bother. I understand that no place is perfect but this is way beyond that.

This was posted on the request of a friend who is still stuck working there but is playing the game and afraid to say anything (although she is looking as so many are). Good luck to anyone there because sooner or later you are sure gonna need it.

JUST SAYIN...
You are the minority. There are over 300 of us who have been there for more than 5 years. sm - sick of the bashing
[ In Reply To ..]
I love KS. They have treated me well, and I know dozens of us, who I communicate with, who feel that same.

Yes, there have been firings, and I am grateful that one was my under-qualifid, noncommunicating, downright nasty most of the time coordinator. The one I just heard about in CSS should have happened years ago, IMO. She didn't have a clue, was unpleasant and could not help anyone with anything. I, for one, am grateful also for the COO, who has been there a year. He is really cleaning house, and it's about time. It leaves the best work for the rest of us and gets rid of those who need a new career.

No, I am not a newbie and not an office "shill" but have I have been a lead and am still happy at KS.

As for the insurance, they parameters haven't changed to be eligible (12,000 lines per pay period) and the deductible is $1000.

I am going to join the ranks of so many who have posted on here, from many companies, and will not be back. I will leave the ugliness to those of you who are ugly, nasty and unhappy. Did you ever hear of being in charge of your own happiness? Stop writing about it and do something. If you don't, no one really cares. In fact, no one really cares either way.
DON'T THINK SO - EX KSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh for pityâs sake, are you kidding me? Iâve seen other posts with others stating transparent responses and this sure is one. Only an office shill would know what the head honcho is up to. And to always accuse people of bashing, really? Seems to me you are pretty good at that yourself. Every time an MT leaves or disagrees, they are bad, bad people. Although I am surprised you stopped at only 2. And 300 employees with that many years in. Sorry, but I donât believe it. The other MT (who is afraid to post) saves the monthly newsletters for the recipes. She went back through the past year and only found a hand full of people that have been there that long. Although I have my money on there all of sudden being all kinds of MTs being listed in the anniversaries as being there that long starting this month or by next month.

And another recurring theme is the one about always saying people are so unhappy. I guess you didnât pay much attention to the email before you started bashing someone who disagrees with you. Got good pay now, insurance, vacation time (all without crazy quotas) and a 401K with an employer who will match a portion (never heard of it otherwise until KS).

Seems to me you are the unhappy one trying to make me feel bad because ânobody cares.â Oh boo hoo. You need to come up with new material.
Agree with don't think so. - see below
[ In Reply To ..]
First of all KS does not match or contribute to the 401K, I know this for a fact, I belong to it.

Secondly, many of us have not accrued PTO because we cannot meet quotas due to the lack of work.

Thirdly, they have a mini insurance plan which one needs to qualify for with a quota and the new major medical plan one needs to double the quota in order to qualify.

Many of us need jobs and the good ones are few and far between these days. Many stay until they find something new and if a survey were to be taken, I bet more than 50% are unhappy at KS.

Good pay? Not anymore, there have been several pay cuts and the last 2 within this year.

I believed the KS hype and left a job to come to KS. That company paid you on your birthday and paid you for holidays and if you worked the holiday not only did you get paid for the work done but got the holiday pay as well. They pay a shift differential and when it was time for your weekend to work you got shift differential for the weekend. When times got tough they didn't cut pay, the cut out all of the extras such as paying for internet, paying for mammograms, paying for weight watchers and other things. They did start new employees out at a lesser rate, but did not cut employees already working for them. They have regular insurance and I had benefits, it is a decision I regret making everyday. Not once was I ever belittled or made to feel like garbage or like I was in preschool and there were not 100 "bosses/management" over anyone. I am hoping to get back in with them.

Lastly, if someone does not like a post about KS, I say don't read it or stay off the boards. It is a free country with free speech and everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Suit much? - Wow
[ In Reply To ..]
Your post could not possibly be more transparent and obvious than it already is. How would a regular employee know that there are over 300 happy MTs? You're obviously someone in upper management. There is absolutely no doubt about it. *shaking my head*

There is no such thing as pre-existing any more. That's what Obamacare gives us. - Happy KS MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am happy to have the new insurance. I am lucky to have a good account with a lot of work, and I make a good living.

Do all of these negative people just move company to company?

Which company will be bashed next?
Happy KS MT wrong about pre-existing conditions - MTTired
[ In Reply To ..]
Pre-existing conditions are still a huge problem for many people trying to get insurance coverage. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act clause for not allowing insurers to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions doesn't go into effect until 2014. Not nice to attack others with your lack of knowledge.
Enjoy it while ya got it, 'cause sooner or later, some - Indian is gonna take it away from you..
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But most definitely sooner rather than later. Anyone in this godforsaken field who sits and gloats about how good they've got it is a fool.
Re: Enjoy it - CW
[ In Reply To ..]
Use racist speech much?
I see no - WHAT?!
[ In Reply To ..]
racist speech in this. It's true about India! If you're an MT in India and are offended, then too bad. We don't care. You're part of the reason jobs that offer decent pay in the US Medical Transcription field are rare.

There are more of us who qualify than those that do not. If you can't do 1200 lines a day, - find another line of work

[ In Reply To ..]
You aren't making any money for yourself or the company you work for, and if a company sees that you can't do the volume, you will most likely be cut, NO MATTER WHICH COMPANY YOU WORK FOR.

You are misinformed. Accounts are overstaffed and there is not enough work - to go around for many of us.
[ In Reply To ..]
Get over yourself. Maybe you are one that works when you shouldn't be and taking work away from the ones that need it. I see it every day.

A little apathy for your fellow workers would be nice instead of your arrogance. You couldn't possibly know what others situations are, so don't assume they are incompetent or incapable of doing their jobs. One can only do the work if it is there.
What about on accounts where hardly anyone - Hmm
[ In Reply To ..]
gets 12000 lines per pay period?! There are rare low-production accounts out there that make it very difficult.

Pre-existing - sm - GopherMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Now you can have pre-existing or diabetes and get COVERAGE - but they can put the 1-year rule on you-- before diabetics and some pre-existing conditions were not covered EVER - that is the new way.

Similar Messages:

Keystrokes Insurance? Sm
Nov 30, 2012

The insurance is supposed to kick in on December 1, but  I have yet to hear anything or be given a choice on my electives..........the HR lady said they are still crunching the numbers, but that does not make sense to me this late in the game.  Any advice/thoughts?  Thanks! ...

Medical Insurance At Keystrokes
Sep 04, 2010

Does anybody know how long after hire that an MLS is eligible for medical insurance benefits at Keystrokes? Thanks in advance.  ...

Thanks Keystrokes - First A Pay Cut Now We Lose Insurance Too.
May 23, 2011

Wonder if we will ever see any of that premium payment you are saving. Adios. ...

How Much Is Single Health Insurance At Keystrokes?
Oct 16, 2009

nm ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...

Nuance Insurance Or Obama's "marketplace" Insurance
Oct 17, 2013

Hmmmmmm, should I go with Nuance insurance or Obama's "marketplace" insurance - that is the question. I'll be broke either way. ...

TT Insurance...
Dec 30, 2009

Just curious if anyone currently working at TT has received their new insurance info in the mail?  Yes, I've contacted HR but I never get a response. Thx ...

FYI Regarding Insurance
May 17, 2011

I don't know if yall know this, but I found out during the process of appealing an insurance claim that MedQuist is self-insured.  They set our rates and our benefits and pay all our claims, United Healthcare just administers the fund!  Kind of explains why things got so sh***y so fast, it's because MedQuist is calling the shots ...

MQ Insurance
Jul 12, 2011

Just wondering, MQ says that there insurance is second to none.  So, how good is their insurance and how expensive?  TIA Looking for love in all the wrong places, apparently. ...

So If You Are Ex JLG Now Do You Just Not Have Any Insurance Or What
Oct 02, 2011

Do we have to wait 90 days just like when hired on at a new job? I don't understand how this is fair considering I didn't ask for a change.  ...

Insurance-fed Up
Feb 16, 2012

I have had to use this insurance several times for MRIs.  This insurance pays for NOTHING.  I sure hope with the switch in suits and the new name change we can get a cheaper deductible when the benefits package comes up again in June.  This is just horrible!  This is eating up my paycheck fast. ...

LTD, STD Insurance Up
Mar 13, 2012

Did anyone else's insurance go up on LTD and STD insurance rate on the last paycheck.  These insurance companies are nickel, diming and $100 their way thru our pay. ...

Gap Insurance
Apr 06, 2012

message deleted ...

Insurance?
Nov 07, 2012

I just went over the NEW (using the term loosely) insurance for January.. wow.. there is not much change to mention.  Well, except that smokers will have to pay more.  We will still have to pay (single) 2500.00 out of pocket before they will even pay the 75% (my heart goes out to those with families!).  I dont know about the rest of you, but that just dooms me to no benefits to speak of or else to just owe out the wazooo.  I had been told by my physician that I had ...

Insurance And Rx
May 02, 2013

I just read the insurance thread and one of you mentioned having no Rx coverage. Go to www.goodrx.com    I've gotten deals there that are far better than what I was getting through my insurance (current plan does not include Rx coverage).  For instance, my BP medication was $95 cash, $50 insurance, and $33 through GoodRx.   ...

How Much Is Insurance
Aug 01, 2014

How much is the premium for health insurance for individual with Nuance? ...

Insurance With LM
Jan 18, 2015

Did anyone get the insurance through LM or did all that fall through?  No one ever contacted me about it.  Just curious.   ...

AP Insurance
May 01, 2015

Was anyone able to find an answer regarding AP's insurance?  ...

Keystrokes....
Nov 05, 2009

I know that there have been many negative posts concerning Keystrokes.  Is this Meditech platform that they use difficult to catch onto?  ...

Keystrokes 100% QA
Feb 15, 2010

I'm new to Keystrokes and just found out I barely didn't pass my very first audit to get off 100% QA.  Does anybody know how long they give you to get this 98% passing score before they fire you? ...

DD For Keystrokes?
Jul 01, 2010

I have given notice but including today have 2 checks coming.  To my surprise, the deposit is not in my account today. Has anyone else not gotten their DD from Keystrokes? ...

Keystrokes Help
Apr 27, 2010

I was wondering if anybody knew who I'd contact about trying to add secondary accounts to work on.  I've sent a couple of emails out but I'm not sure I sent them to the right people. ...

Keystrokes Job
May 28, 2010

Read the job opening for Keystrokes and also talked with the recruiter.  Can anybody here who works(ed) for and Keystrokes give real, hands-on experience for working for them?  I've had many instances where how it really is isn't how the recruiter said it would be and don't want to get burned again.   I'd really like to know the good and bad about the company upfront before I decide whether or not to accept the job.  Please don't ...

Keystrokes And VR?
Aug 27, 2010

Does anyone know if Keystrokes uses VR?  I am working with VR at the currently company I am working for and I don't like it.  I'm considering applying with Keystrokes.  ...

KEYSTROKES AGAIN!!
Jun 18, 2011

Seems some companies just do not learn after being sued for unpaid overtime.  Here is another one filed on June 2, 2011 - Whitaker v Keystrokes Transcription - here is the link http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/illinois/ilndce/1:2011cv03734/256349/1/     ...

Over 90,000 Keystrokes
Nov 10, 2010

and QA dings me for one.  Unbelievable.  That's what it averages for 1400 lines a day full-time.  Even with 3 cups of coffee and an office chair seat belt, it's no easy feat.  Ninety-thousand keystrokes PER DAY.  That's not including the ADT, the Internet look-ups, etc.  Throw me a bone here, QA. How many keystrokes to you do, PERFECTLY?? ...

OSI And Keystrokes
Jan 17, 2011

Just wondering about OSI and Keystrokes.  I recently have applied to both of these and looks like I could be hired by either one (have already done the testing).  Could anyway tell me how they are to work for.  Do they do voice recognition? And anyone know their pay rates? ...

Keystrokes W-2's
Jan 21, 2011

Has anyone from KS heard yet when they will be mailing out the W-2's?  ...