A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IP addresses from posts on this board - just wondering

Posted: Jan 07, 2012

Further down this page, there is a post about TT employees being tracked by their IP addresses and then having lawsuits filed against them.  Is anybody here computer-savvy enough to explain to me how I can track the IP address of another poster here or the IP address of somebody who sends me an email?

I thought this board was anonymous in a sense, although individuals can voluntarily give up their semi-anonymity if they use a regular posting name or respond to emails from the same email address that they use with their employer.  "Gourdpainter" did that when she posted about TT a few years ago using a consistent Nickname.  There were multiple posts that appeared to be written by the same person (similar writing styles, although that in itself is ALSO not a fool-proof way of unveiling an anonymous poster's identity) and that were all signed using the Nickname/Alias of Gourdpainter. 

The reason I am starting a new thread is NOT to aggravate the thread police who apparently have nothing better to do than fill up threads with genuine questions with petty complaints.  It's because the post I'm referring to already has multiple responses and is further down the page.  I'm hoping people will see this post here.  Self-defensive much?  probably...  ;)

IP's - Inspector Clueso

[ In Reply To ..]
The boards are here for the benefit of us. MT̢۪s helping each other. But the reality is that certain posts can be considered libelous, and damaging. So what might be seemingly innocent to you could be thought as damaging to another, even if you think free speech prevails, a judge might have a different opinion.

Now the part about IP's, An IP can be tracked back to a user, but you would need a court order to do so. Anyone that is subpoenaed has to comply, even mtstars

To The Inspector - just wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your quick reply. However, there have been insinuations on this board all over the place that employers read the board, blah blah blah. If the employer has to get a subpoena to view a poster's IP address, I guess I don't understand the fearmongering.

See message (IMO) - Emails

[ In Reply To ..]
Another way that I've heard MTSOs "bait" individuals so that they can get their IP address is to email them through this site. I've never had this happen, but I would imagine it starts out as a sympathetic "co-worker" who TOTALLY understands what you're going through, oh you poor thing I go through that all the time...BTW, which account are you on?, etc.

If the MT assumes it's an honest email, he/she might reply. The sender then has the IP address tracking capabilities, and perhaps even the poster's real name, account on which they work, how long they've been with company, etc.

I *NEVER* answer emails from this board. In fact, I have it assigned to an email address I never check, just to avoid the temptation of writing back to someone. I don't bash companies on here very often at all, with the exception of TT and *MY* experience there. I never present opinion as fact and, when appropriate, make sure to post IMO, IMHO, etc., to cover my own backside.

As a broad sweeping statement, I'd say many would be wise, if you're bashing your company on these boards, to NOT reply to ANY emails you might receive regarding your post, no matter how benign or sympathetic they might seem. Better safe than sorry.
about bashing companies.... - the original poster
[ In Reply To ..]
There's an old cliche that talks about biting the hand that feeds you. I don't think I have ever bashed my current employer, although I have felt completely free to bash FORMER employers in the past.

People who bash their CURRENT employer really truly do need to pay attention to their means and methods unless they have that next job lined up already, it's a SURE thing, AND they are judgment-proof... just sayin'.....
I totally agree (sm) - Emails
[ In Reply To ..]
Unless it's something DIRE (i.e., not being paid), I would never bash a current employer. I'm paranoid and convinced they would recognize something unique about my type style or a phrase I might use where they'd have an "A-HA!" moment and know my identity, LOL!

I'm an ex-TTer, and I do at times feel compelled to validate another poster if their claims, which I too experienced when I worked for them, are being doubted by other posters. I'm also pretty darned sure TT has at least one person who reads these threads and reports back to a TT higher up if TT is being discussed. I've no proof of this, just a feeling I have judging from the timing of some of their emails as the topic relates to something being discussed on these boards.

Inspector, please go back to school. - RealSleuth

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, Inspector, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

All one has to do is have their e-mail (Yahoo, etc.) options set to show expanded headers. This displays many details of the sender's data, including their IP (NOT ISP!) address. The address may then be traced using various methods; a simple Google search will reveal their location.

The only "trick" will be "baiting" the MT to reply to the e-mail sent to them via the anonymous sending feature on this board. Once the e-mail is sent, the rest -- as they say -- is history.

Oops, should have read your post first, LOL! - Emails

[ In Reply To ..]
I just illustrated that exact same point; it's the "baiting" of the MT to get them to respond to an email (which I presume is to pretend to be a frustrated co-worker going through the same thing the poster is, etc, the "tea and sympathy" approach to gain the poster's trust). Once that email is replied to, there's no going back.

There's no need for court orders or subpoenas if they have that IP address. They just track it down to find out which employee did the posting and...POOF...like magic that MT is dismissed because the account was lost, perhaps suddenly failing audits, etc.

Again, people, the best way to prevent this happening is to simply NEVER reply to emails from this site if you're engaging in bashing. Not saying you're bashing is wrong, not at ALL, just saying that's probably when you fall into their scope and they fix their sites on you.

Court order - Got it now...

[ In Reply To ..]
How you are supposed to reveal IP address when you don't have one? even by a court order.

On the other hand, it's not required by law/court to keep track of IP addresses of visitors of a website.

Safe Harbor! Thanks Moderator to make it clear.

still wondering - just wondering (original poster)

[ In Reply To ..]
Can anybody answer with a clear and definitive "yes or no" answer... whether a casual reader of this website has any "secret weapons" at their disposal to disclose the IP address of any poster on this board? If not, then the people who talk about employers "watching" this board are simply fear-mongerers unless the persons the employers are "watching" are self-disclosing enough details about themselves to reveal their own identity without any help from computer technology. If SO... I beg of you who know, to PLEASE disclose those methods publicly for the benefit of the rest of us!!!!

This is what I have found - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They cannot get your IP address simply from you posting in here. They have to get your email address. This can occur one of two ways: Either you respond or send an email to them or they get your email address from the moderator/owner of this site, which then gives them your IP address. Everyone had to sign up here using an email address, hence this site has everyone's IP address through those means.

Best way to truly be anonymous is to use software that hides your IP and set up a different email account after you hide your IP to use on this forum or wherever.

However, re emails - Not Worried

[ In Reply To ..]
More likely than not, the IP address that shows on the email is the IP for the email service's server, not your own computer...it depends on what kind of service you're using, etc. But, if you are using your real email address to reply to emails from this board, then you've just given someone your name, etc anyway, so the IP is really a moot point if you're trying to hide your identity from say your employer.

If you want more info, I would google IP addresses, email, proxy servers, etc--

This is a cut/paste from an article I found..

Often, people think if they perform and IP address lookup, that they are going to find the physical mailing address of the user assigned the IP in question. This is simply not true. At this time, we are not aware of any IP address database that will give you the exact physical postal address of the IP address you lookup. At best, you'll get the exact city in which the user of the IP is located. For an exact physical address you would need to contact the ISP (Internet Service Provider) of the IP address in question. However, without a police warrant, or some sort of legal document forcing the ISP to turn over the information, don't expect them to give you the mailing address of the user that was assigned the IP at the time you received the offensive email, or other means of offensive / questionable communication from said IP. The best you can do in this case is to file a complaint with the ISP and forward them all of the information from the questionable / offensive communication regarding the complaint.

Read more: http://www.whatismyip.com/tools/ip-address-lookup.asp#ixzz1iod5Qnlz

I believe it's been explained a couple of times in this thread - EMAILS

[ In Reply To ..]
To my knowledge, Cher has said she does not reveal IP addresses to any company; that leaves the companies with using the "Reply by Email" function to try to bait the poster into responding to them. Once the MT responds, the recipient has their IP address and, depending on the set up of the email account, perhaps even the poster's actual name.

But how do we know that Cher is not lying? - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Jes' sayin' The person who used to run this site used to tell on MTs to their companies. I believe she is the same person who runs TTD now.
I don't think Cher is lying - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I think Cher is a person of integrity and I trust her.
The person who used to run this site gave out IP addresses - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
to her friends in the MTSOs. Jes' sayin'.
she also posted people's names and email addes - when she felt like it
[ In Reply To ..]
publically and said if you didn't like it, don't post on her board.
I agree with Old Pro. - NM anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
/
Personally, I don't much trust anyone I can't see - and even then...
[ In Reply To ..]
it could go either way ;) Cher could really be someone else... who knows? The internet is total anonymity and there is no way to know who really runs/owns this site. Not saying this is the case, but it's far better to CYA and remove as much info about yourself when posting/emailing.

Here is a free hide your IP address program - :)

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the perfect way to post here and anywhere else you want do anonymously. I use it and have had no issues with it.
http://www.free-hideip.com/

personally, I have nothing to hide by way of any of - my posts over the years. anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
=

It's not just for posting but also to keep your private info - private :)

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

IP address safety ... - Moderator

[ In Reply To ..]
We are holding a database of over 25,000 registered members and 2 million posts under complete privacy protection. There are special procedures and software in place to ensure the safety of this database. We NEVER revealed the identity (including Email address/IP address) of our visitors to ANYONE.

This thread is open to discussion and let me know if you find a single complaint of privacy breach on our part for last 11 years.

As far IP address safety is concerned, go to Email validation page (link below) and see the last line for more details.

http://forum.mtstars.com/vemails.php

Court Order - Question

[ In Reply To ..]
Question, but if there was a court order requesting the IP and email, MTstars would have to comply and release that information, Correct?

Court order - Moderator

[ In Reply To ..]
We are not required by law to keep track/record of IP addresses of our posters/visitors and simply we don't store them per our TOS. So, in case of IP address we have nothing to release even ordered by court of law.

Yes, email address remains with the post in our database unless it's archived or deleted (by moderator or deletion requested by OP). We don't keep record/data of deleted posts in our database as well.

Is there a way to....? - curious poster
[ In Reply To ..]
Is there a way to do a "mass delete" of ALL posts that are associated with a particular email address?

Please and thanks....

Breech of privacy in the last 11 years--that HAPPENED - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Remember when the OTHER ran this site before a falling out with the offshore partner? She was quite the nasty one who would give out IP addresses of posters to her friends in MTSOs. One time she even posted a poster's REAL NAME on this site when that poster complained about an MTSO.

Some of us have been here a long time and you can't fool us by claiming this sort of thing NEVER HAPPENED. Maybe not on YOUR watch but it did happen.

What if you reply to this post - Moderator

[ In Reply To ..]
guessing and posting the real name of OP and a supposed IP address? Many MTSOs/visitors did that in the past but those were mere guesstimates.

I repeat, no personal information ever given out by MTStars OFFICIALLY. We are not responsible (except for deleting the posts immediately) for the posts where posters/MTSOs start identifying each other.

HTH,
Moderator.
You are either lying or naive or you think we are. - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The person who used to own this site with her Pakistani boyfriend before they had a very public falling out in front of all of us here used to give out IP addresses and names to her little friends in the MTSOs. I remember specifically one instance where she called the poster out by NAME ON THIS SITE when the poster had complained about an MTSO. Perhaps the boyfriend who ended up getting this site doesn't do that now but the former owner (who I believe owns TTD and the "other" MT site) certainly did.
Agreed - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Lot's of information or misinformation. Long of the short is nothing is truly anonymous. MTstars wants you to think it's safe to post here, and for the most part it is, but there is always a way to be tracked. How do you think the music industry found their victims? The ISP's handed over the IP's.
this truly did happen by that person - happened to me
[ In Reply To ..]
The person being referred to posted my real name, first and last, with my email address on her Facebook page for her "friends" to see. Three of them emailed me to ream me out about a disagreement I had with that site owner.

So I know for certain it actually did happen with that person. Even though it did not happen "officially" through MTStars, it still happened based on information taken from administering that person's current website.

The point being is that while the people who have the information may not officially reveal private things, at least one person who ran this website did it to me unofficially through another website. I don't believe her capacity to be so distrustworthy only developed after handing this site over to the current administration. She certainly has a proven public record of doing things unofficially.
Wow, that wasn't the example I was thinking of but interesting... - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The one I remember is when a poster was criticizing an MTSO that the former owner was friends with and she posted that PERSON'S FULL NAME ON THIS BOARD. Ok, she seemed nutty but just goes to prove you can't trust anyone. I believe she is the one who currently owns The Transcription Doctors. DO NOT TRUST HER. And think twice before trusting this site, run by her Pakistani ex-boyfriend.
ohhh, so it was Facebook. that's a different story then. NM - mt2p
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Different story, same crap. Nice of you to weigh in, TTD. nm - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

If You Don't Like Complaining Posts On This Board, Don't Read Them.
Jan 23, 2012

An MT posting a complaint on this board is one of the reasons it is here!!!  If you don't like them, move on.  You do not have to read them, and you certainly do not have to respond. While I do not agree with personal attacks on a board or anywhere else on individuals, complaining about pay, workload, or company practices should not be considered complaining, but very useful information, maybe not to all, but probably to some. You work for a company who does not pay?  Name ...

No Many Posts On The Voice-wreck Board....
Jul 06, 2014

so posting this here. I just can't seem to get any speed on VR and the drafts coming through are really not that bad. I can easily straight type 150-175 LPH, but I struggle with VR so much.  I just got hired at this company and we are only required to get 200 LPH, which is reasonable. Why is it such a struggle for me? I have tried and tried to figure it out. My eye cannot seem to follow with voice and I end up going over and over words. Have tried magnifying the screen to about 14 ...

I Know Some Posts Would Be Repetitive To Board Regulars, But
Sep 17, 2014

...every week for the sake of first-time visitors and folks who really do not know how to utilize (or even understand that there is one) the search option to check pevious weeks and months of posts? It seems to me that could be beneficial to so many unsuspecting WONDERFUL people! ...

All Main Board Posts Deleted??
May 13, 2015

Why have all the messages on the Main Board been "deleted by author"?? ...

Check Out Posts On Main Board And MModal
Nov 14, 2014

entitled "A little help from a friend" singing the praises of Nuance and how "you will love it here" and "don't believe what you read, we're all trolls."  Trying hard to get that referral bonus! ...

Why So Many Different Addresses?
May 29, 2015

When filling out my some paperwork, I found it a little odd that at least 3 different addresses are used and the addresses on my W2 and pay stub are different.  Seems a little shady to me, but I'm not surprised.  ...

LOOKING UP NAMES AND ADDRESSES
Nov 12, 2009

Does anyone else ever have a problem with a doctor/nurse, etc. who sends out letters or just on regular reports who gives no complete names or addresses?  We have a place to go look them up but it does sometimes take a chunk out of my time doing it.  One or two minutes means a lot sometimes.  I have one doctor who dictates letters to "Dr. Smith, Dr. Jones," etc. and there are only about 10 of each of those listed and sometimes you cannot tell what the specialty is to look it up.&n ...

Physician's Addresses
Sep 01, 2011

What's a good website to use to get current addresses of physicians?  Thanks ...

Monitors, Can You Check IP Addresses Of MTSO
Jan 11, 2010

One person posted about a job for a long time and now the same job is being posted by another individual.  I think she's just having us do her work.  Can you see if it is the same IP address?  Just sounds oddly the same.  Thanks. ...

Copying Word 2003 Autocorrect...but Didn't Take Addresses?
Feb 28, 2011

So, I did the whole process of copying Word 2003 autocorrect with the support.doc macro, and it worked wonderfully.  Only thing, it didn't copy any of the doc addresses I had on the original computer.  Took everything else though.  Any ideas? ...

Holy Yikes..got An Email From MedQ With All Email Addresses
Nov 17, 2011

I am sure these are closely guarded as they would let MTs actually communicate with each other..and that would be a no no.. MTs might actually band together ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

MODERATOR: I See A New Board Offshore, Did You Consider A VR Board?
Oct 13, 2009

nm ...

Job Posts
Dec 30, 2009

Why is it, that when you apply for a job, the company doesn't have the decency to contact you back, after jumping through hoops to complete their testing? ...

Help Please, A Few Posts Down . . .
Apr 08, 2010

someone had the instructions for finding out about the STATUS on DocQManage.  I do not have the status.  Could someone walk me through this to see how to find out about the people working on my account?  Any help would be appreciated!!! ...

Where Did All The Posts
Jul 10, 2010

. ...

Wish We Could See All Posts In The
Jul 20, 2010

It would be nice if we could read all the posts in the current month.  Sometimes I want to follow a particular thread, but it falls off the bottom of the page and cannot be seen. Can this capability be enabled?   ...

Where Are All The Posts Between 8/1 And 8/8?
Aug 16, 2010

Posts missing for the week of 8/1 to 8/7 or 8/8.  hmmm.  Just wondering is all. ...

This Is What The Job Posts Lately Seem Like
Jan 19, 2011

Every time I look to see what's out there, as far as job requirements it seems to get worse and worse.  I just wanted to put something up here which is what this all reminds me of... thank you for putting up with my sick humor...  Here's what I think when I read jost postings: WANTED:  MT!!!!  This job is For YOU!  Why wait in the cold outside, freezing in your home which is a box under the highway when you can bask in the warmth of our SWEAT SHOP!!! Yes! We ...

The Posts About W2s. Sm
Jan 29, 2011

I am amazed at how many people ask the same question year after year about company after company.  Companies have until 1/31 to mail W2s.  The bigger the company, the longer it takes to finish up the previous year's books and have W2s ready to print.  It takes a lot of time to print, assemble, stuff, seal, stamp and mail an entire company's worth of W2s.  Smaller companies often take just as long because they don't have a large accounting department or the manp ...

Regarding All The Posts Below About Being On 100% QA----
Mar 21, 2012

First of all, it sickens me and I can't use the language I want to use about this or I'll get banned. A few weeks ago I failed an audit just under the 99%.  I started getting worried, and I confided in my CCM - told her I was worried about my pay being docked if I ended up on 100% QA.  I also told her why all of a sudden are they unhappy with my work when I have been here over 10 years and have always passed my audits.  The reasons for failing were ridiculous, and I tol ...

There have been a few times since I left MModal when I've wondered whether I did the right thing by leaving. I still come here to see what's going on, and seeing all the posts makes me know I did the right thing by leaving. Nothing seems to have changed for the good, and I doubt they ever will. God bless you each and every day for putting up with this company's mess and disrespect. ...

Did You See The Posts Below?? That Is It! You
Jan 06, 2013

for about 2-3 days.  You all need to seriously call in sick for 2-3 days.  I have emails to about 1,000 MTs.  When and IF we get more work coming in, we need to seriously take off by stating we are sick and cannot work.  Something has to be done and this is the only thing I can think of that might trigger something for the higherups to get a CLUE that we are human beings.    ...

Why Can't I See Any Posts, Only Ads?
Aug 26, 2013

Every time I click on MModal, a blank page comes up and it only goes as far as the advertisement. ...

With All These Posts About Getting Out Of MT,
Sep 19, 2013

It seems like when someone comes on here to say that they are getting out of MT and studying coding or nursing or something, someone always has something negative to say about what they are pursuing.  Well, what jobs are "safe" or good career opportunities.  There has to be SOMETHING that can't be sent overseas or hires someone without experience, etc. Right?! ...

FN Posts Yet Another Ad
Apr 21, 2014

Yes, they do need help.  The work has gone from NJA to multiple notices of needing help on specific accounts. However, they are hiring for people to do speech recognition work on the M-Modal platform - their version of this platform.  See discussions below.  This platform is nonproductive and cumbersome.  If someone from this company can make as much money per hour on this M-Modal platform as they were on the previous speech recognition platform, please, by all means, step up ...

May's Posts
Jun 06, 2015

Hi.  Just wondering if there is a way to view all posts from May, or can you only do a subject search?  At the bottom it shows June, July, Aug but not the prior month of May, etc.  Thanks in advance. ...

How Do See Posts And Archives
Oct 18, 2009

Would appreciate any info on how to see messages on boards and in archives.  When I click on the Navigation menu at the left all I get are blank screens.  Thanks. ...

I Have Been Reading The Posts Below And Would Like To Say...
Nov 04, 2009

There are MT DIVAS and QA DIVAS... why couldn't the Lord have given me a voice like Whitney or Aretha, then I could have been a real DIVA and not worrying about making 7 cpl and paying house and car payments.  To be Mariah Carey wouldn't be bad either.  Which DIVA would you choose to be if you have the choice?  George Michael, Donna Summer?  I mean REAL DIVAS! ...

I Wonder Why, If All Of The Posts Below Are True,
Nov 14, 2009

that MQ sent out that stupid letter stating not to worry, we will still need MTs, and that off-shoring will remain one of many solutions (including VR).  I really have no idea whether we will still be here after the first of the year or not (although that's what a lot of people on this board thought LAST year and it didn't happen....but WHY would they waste their precious money sending that letter to everyone if they planned on nixing us all soon?  Doesn't make sense.&nb ...