A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Gulf Coast Transcription - nearing the end? - Sad and MT

Posted: Dec 19, 2013

It appears that Gulf Coast has either severely cut the hours, or laid off most of their IC transcriptionists.  I was laid off.  This was a nice company to work for, and I would really feel bad for them, but they told us things that just weren't true since last summer when they started losing work.  Plus they appeared to deny the rumors on this website back in September.  Then we got a really nasty email from the main supervisor a couple months ago all about how they were doing just fine, don't pay attention to MT stars postings......

So here it is one week before Christmas and I no longer have a job.  Last week they eliminated all IC's working daytime and weekday hours. 

Wish I'd been more jaded and not listened to their reassurances. 

thought they were gone already. Website doesnt work - tried to apply a few months back

[ In Reply To ..]
emailed them about it with no response. I just assumed they were out of business.

I figured that was coming soon, and doesnt surprise me - a snotty email from that supervisor. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
N M

Remember not long ago when we were threatened - me again

[ In Reply To ..]
if we didn't work our shifts they were going to hire more? I wonder if they ever hired anyone else.

I never felt lied to by our supervisors, I think the hospital itself hasn't been truthful. I recall last summer when we were told the docs just were scared to dictate after EPIC had been put into practice. I doesn't make sense to me that the supervisor would lie to us about that, but sounds likely the hospital might in order to keep us hanging on.

I notice almost all the work now is voice recognition, hardly any straight typing. I am sure they are phasing us all out.

What did you hear.... - Hiya07

[ In Reply To ..]
I really just think when it benefits them and of course they only care about the TAT, that when it starts to affect their wallets, meaning "the favorite MT's," that's when they lay people off so the ones they choose to keep have work to do. I used to work there but left because of the nonsense, but I still know an MT they just let go who they've done this to twice right before the holidays, last year, rehired her a couple of months ago and let her go again before the holidays! I guess they needed to make sure they had enough for their families this holiday season!

Wasn't the MTSOs fault - Hospital insider

[ In Reply To ..]
Per an insider at the hospital, it was all kept a huge secret from the MTSO - they had no idea - first Epic and then Dragon. Hospital has had this in the works for the past 12-18 months. I doubt the MTSO lied to us, only passing along information as they knew it.
Hospital Insider - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]
I believe this to be true too!!! I think GCT was blind-sided in the whole situation as well. Some may think I am a fool, but I totally trust GCT. I am feeling bad, because I was not told exactly why I was put on p.r.n. status. Yes, I know the work is slow, but why was I one of the ones chosen. Was it because I was part-time??? I transcribed almost all the work types including OR and transcribed VR, but there are those there will less seniority than me who are still there, who do not transcribe OR. I always transcribed way over my set quota to transcribe on any given evening, and was always over 99.8% accuracy, most of the time, 100%. Thus, this is what makes me think it was because I was part-time, but I would like to know why :-(
TO CLOVERPORT - I think
[ In Reply To ..]
That since they went EPIC and have more VR, they aren't profiting nearly as much as they were before (meaning GCT). With that being said, they have to make cuts somewhere.

In a case like this, typically the highest paid or top producers will be the first to go. Regardless of your part-time status, you produced full-time work and made full-time pay checks. Also, having been hired 6 yrs ago your line rate wad more than likely higher than those who only started maybe 2-3 years ago.

So if they have to make cuts to compensate for their loss; who do you think they will cut first?....obviously the ones making the most money. Unfortunately, you fall under that category. As the saying goes, it's not personal; it's business...
I still think it had to do with being part-time - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]
Because the transcriptionist who produced the most is still there. I know it is just business, but you just feel awful about it, if you know what I mean :-(. I know I need to move on... and so I am going to :-). I am just getting to old for this stuff. You just start to feel like you have a work home, and then boom.... LOL such is life
I hope they get another account so you can go - back to your regular schedule..
[ In Reply To ..]
Bless your heart...
Thank you all so much for your well wishes :-) - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]
I hope they get other accounts too! I already miss working for them :-(. Old and Tired MT, no I worked the late afternoon/evening shift. Always have.
Did you work day shift? - Old and Tired MT
[ In Reply To ..]
The hospital is looking out for its own MTs and they most likely work days, Mon.-Fri. I am part-time but do not work days. No matter-- there still is no work.
To Cloverport - Just sayin
[ In Reply To ..]
You can shout out a big thank you to Obamacare.
I have never worked for GCT, but I believe it because - Seasoned MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen it before. The hospitals DON'T tell the MTSOs because they don't want them quitting on them while they are still needed. Epic pretty much does away with transcription. What is left can be/usually is outsourced to Nuance SR or some other big company that bids low based on volume.

So I wouldn't blame GCT. The small services are victims in this whole thing too. Well, some small services. When I see a small service with an owner with a $750,000 house, I don't feel sorry for them. But there are lots of other small services who do not make the profit to own a $750,000 house and are barely getting by themselves.
Was this a VA account? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
No - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]
it was acute care hospital reports.
The VA *is* acute care hospital reports - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
So, it isn't the VA, but the VA is acute care hosoital reports. Not sure what you thought it was.
I thought - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]
you were asking me if it was a VA account. It wasn't. Yes, I do know VA is acute care in a hospital setting, outside of a VA hospital setting... and yes, I do know that the VA is a hospital.
OK - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Your answer to whether this was a VA account was "No, it was acute care hospital reports."

That makes it seem that you thought the VA was something else. Some MTs think it is just typing disability reports or something.
I understand :-) - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]

nm

Can't trust a one of them - Sorry, but...

[ In Reply To ..]
People keep thinking they can trust any MTSO. I'm sorry this happened to you, but maybe it will help you not fall into another trap.

Do not trust them. I left the biz completely 2 years ago, because I decided that none of them can be trusted and that it would only be a matter of time before they went out of business or got bought up by one of the biggies.

Yes, I am also one who was laid off from GCT - cloverport

[ In Reply To ..]
However, I beg to differ as far as how I was treated there. I was always treated kindly by the supervisor(s). I loved working for GCT!!! I have posted on MTStars always praising them. I hope what was mentioned in your e-mail in regards to the fact that we were lied to is not true. I want to believe that this all came about as sort of a surprise to them as well.. with the implementation of EPIC, etc. I too am very, very sad.... I do not know who you are, but you are/were a fellow MT friend through GCT. I pray the best for you, and hope you find a position soon .

Did GCT only have one big account? You said - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"With the implementation of EPIC" so how many accounts did they lose to EPIC?
P.S. my heart goes out to all of you. Hope you - all find jobs soon.
[ In Reply To ..]
GCT - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]
They only have one account.
GCT - Oldtimer
[ In Reply To ..]
They only had one account. That's it! What were they planning on doing should they lose that account just out of the blue one day???? I will never work for a place that has only one account ever again. My own stupidity. I don't care HOW mom & pop they are. They can find some other idiot to do their measly work for them.
Oldtimer - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, only 1 account that they had for many, many years. Believe you me, I have learned my lesson - LOL. I will not work for another company with only 1 account, better yet, I think I am going to try to work for 2 different services, each part-time, for back up.
LOL!! I know this is no laughing matter, but your post - was hillarious! Made my stomache hurt
[ In Reply To ..]
And I couldn't agree with you more, but your post really tickled me. I understand starting with one account, but thr idea is to build clientel, not put all your eggs in one basket.
LOL - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]
I know. When things started looking pretty scary, I know they were looking for other accounts, but apparently none panned out. I think they did not go after more accounts because we were very, very busy during our busy season and it was hard enough to keep up. Honestly, they may have had only 1 account, but it was busy, at least the past 6 years I worked there...AND I do mean busy. However, in the summer it was slower. You just knew the seasons and planned ahead. I hope they do get other accounts.

Cant trust any of them - sad but true. - People need to wake up SM

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter how wonderful you think you have it now, no matter how much you're told "we have plenty of work" or "we're doing fine" you people need to pull your heads out and wake up.

These companies large and small are only looking out for themselves, they are NOT going to care about cutting any of you if it means saving money in their pocket.

Doesn't matter if you're at a big regional hospital or a very small MTSO, you need to make plans to help yourselves. I don't know how many times this needs to be said before some of you finally wake up. You'll be the next ones just like GCT, get up one morning ready to work and find the email telling you that you have no more job.

Wake up, or you have only yourselves to blame when you sit there crying and wondering what to do now without a job. Especially those of you at a big regional midwest hospital facility, you're getting sold out come next year, you're the ones who need to wake up and make plans. You've been told it's coming, it's been said that "things will be REALLY different next year..." and any bullsh*t shoveled at the retreat this fall was just that, bullsh*t. The blond bimbo was hired to get rid of the department and she's doing it. Even those of you supposedly doing 360-400 LPH on editing are not going to be safe.

Did you just get laid off today, 12/19? - me in cali

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm curious as I am an IC and still work there but had more than just daytime hours. Or perhaps my chopping block is coming soon, just didn't get here yet. So sad. I did enjoy this job and the pay has been better some a lot of them.

I'm so sorry.

I still work there, too, if you can call it that - Worried

[ In Reply To ..]
I have only a few reports each shift and most of the time I get "NJA". I think the hospital is phasing us out and just want us to keep hanging on "just in case". They keep saying "wait until after the first of the year", but I doubt it. It was "wait until October" and nothing has changed except we get less and less work.

me in cali and worried - cloverport

[ In Reply To ..]
On 12/16, I received an e-mail from the supervisor stating I was being removed from IC status and placed on p.r.n. status, having worked for GCT going on 6 years in February :-(. I asked why I was chosen to be dropped to p.r.n., and have yet to receive an answer. Yes, work is slow, but they had to have had a formula for why they cut who they cut. I am part-time, maybe that is the reason, because they definitely are not basing it on seniority or what WTs you do, because I know of those that are still there who have not been with GCT as long as I have been and who do not transcribe as many WTs as I do. Yes, I was part-time, working 4/8 hour shifts a week, but I always produced 1200-1500 lines an evening, way over what the quota was for part-time production always had over a 99.8% on my QAs, most of the time 100%, and always worked more than what I was scheduled, working weekends, and whenever else I could, especially when we were swamped to help keep us within TAT. I, of course, told them to keep me p.r.n., but I don't know if I will ever see any work from them again. I just loved working there, and I am very sad.
wow,glad I declined last year.... - me
[ In Reply To ..]
I had asked the recruiter if they would ever sell out or anything and she said absolutely not - this sounds like the facility made the decision, however. Glad I declined the position, even though the pay was better than most. I make the same or more now by staying where I am on a tiered program. Good luck to all of you GCTers.

To Worried - cloverport

[ In Reply To ..]
Has worked picked up for you at GCT, now that some have been placed on p.r.n. status? I am sure that was the purpose, and it does make sense. I hope it has for you :-).
However, it sure hurts financially for those of us who have been laid off :-(
No, it hasn't - Worried
[ In Reply To ..]
Every time when I sign on, I get "NJA". It doesn't matter what day of the week/weekend it is. I'm lucky if I get 2-3 reports per shift.
Worried - cloverport
[ In Reply To ..]
I am so sorry to hear this. I don't know what they are going to do :-(
I don't either - Worried
[ In Reply To ..]
I really hope they are trying to get some new accounts as I have really enjoyed working for them.
No new accounts. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]

They are not looking for new accounts.  With laying off (temporarily or otherwise) a few MTs and the probability that others will leave out of frustration, they plan to keep a few on board to cover the sparse dictations that do come in.  The hospital itself will phase out both of the companies that do their dictations and leave just a bare bones staff in-house.  They have never had anything but this one hospital account.

May I ask how you know? - Worried
[ In Reply To ..]
I really enjoy working for them and I would hate to think that they would just "fold up" if the hospital decides they don't need them any more. I am wondering how you know this?
No new accounts - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have cold hard facts, but I've been around long enough to know that this is a sign of the times. It's happened to countless other MTSOs and I doubt GCT will be any different.
OK, I understand that - Worried
[ In Reply To ..]
Been there, done that before. I guess it's because I really enjoy working there that I am hoping against hope. I am too old to go for another "career" and unfortunately I have bills to pay. If I were a lot younger, I would definitely get out of the MT field because of what has happened to it.
I WORK THERE TOO - Very upset
[ In Reply To ..]
I work for GCT also. At least hanging by a thread along with you others who get NJA all the time. I am not quite sure where you are getting your information about only having 1 account. They had several, but have lost them all over the past couple of years due to EMR. I do not believe that GCT did not know anything about all this. They have always known about the VR and Epic. The office went from having multiple people in it down to 2, down to 1. Then that person quits and they fill that position with a MT. Well, that puts up big warning flags for me. Unfortunately, I believe that even if they knew something was going to happen, they would not tell anyone until the day before. Just my opinion. I have worked for both companies the hospital contracts for work. In the case of GCT letting people go and putting them on PRN status, I would have to say that other than a few top producers they kept the people who were paid less or worked little. Still getting NJA, so I guess it really did not help much to get rid of people. As for me, I have had about as much of GCT crap I can possibly take. Soon they will be counting one less.

Similar Messages:

Gulf Coast Transcription Of FL
Apr 30, 2012

Looking for any info on Gulf Coast Transcription of FL as I am seeking a new home. I am currently working and have time to explore options before jumping ship. ...

Gulf Coast Transcription
Sep 03, 2013

tried to apply but it gives me a weird message.  ...

Anything New On Gulf Coast Transcription?-nm
Sep 13, 2013

nm ...

Gulf Coast Transcription MTs
Jan 30, 2014

Any other GCT MTs on MT Stars at the moment?  I can't get in to Chartscript.Net tonight.  I get this message:  Unable to open this internet shortcut.  The protocol https does not have a registered program.  Anyone else experiencing this oddity? ...

Very Worried About Gulf Coast Transcription
Jul 06, 2013

They have terminated some office/administrative people and now have eliminated weekend incentives and given pay CUTS to transcriptionists.  Work is nearly non-existent.  At the beginning of the summer they said it was a temporary slow down and would pick up shortly.  Instead it seems to be getting worse.  Anyone know anything?? I really really like this company and hate to see this happening. ...

Gulf Coast Transcription, Florida
Aug 12, 2013

Do they still even have any accounts, are they hiring, what's the current pay rate there, straight typing or VR?    Any info is welcome.  Thanks. ...

Gulf Coast Transcription (GCT). Question...
Aug 19, 2013

Someone asked about them and I am bringing it back up to the top.  One person said it all now VR, another said they saw their only account in the "Nuance pool."  I don't get it.  First of all, what is a Nuance Pool?  I work for them and although work has slowed down, if Nuance was now contracting, wouldn't the work be completely gone?  Also as for all VR, it's about half and half.  We are hoping the summer slow down will end soon and work will pick up ...

Does Anyone Still Work For GCT, Gulf Coast Transcription?
Jan 09, 2014

A friend was laid off recently from them, but then another friend advised me to apply and that work would pick up after the holidays.  Any idea what's going on? ...

Gulf Coast Transcription What Is Happening
Dec 28, 2014

Could a current employee tell me what is happening with this company?  Work dwindled to nothing and there was talk of acquiring new accounts, but I had to jump ship before that happened.  This was a wonderful place to work and I am just wishing and dreaming.  Have they picked up any new accounts and are they still in business?  Thank you.   ...

Looking For Information On Gulf Coast Transcription In Florida Please ... Sm
Apr 16, 2010

Have reviewed the information in the archives but was hoping to find someone that works for them currently or has recently worked for them.  Any information at all would be greatly appreciated. ...

Anyone Having Trouble Submitting App To Gulf Coast Transcription?
Apr 20, 2010

I keep getting server error, something about it not liking my sender address.  Well, I've used 2 different addresses with different servers and both don't work. ...

Looking For Up To Date Information On Gulf Coast Transcription.
Feb 20, 2011

Like or dislike,  why?   Any specifics about the company itself;  accounts, platform, pay, etc, etc.     Thanks much. ...

Any Current Info On Gulf Coast Transcription Out Of...sm
Nov 22, 2011

Fort Myers, FL.  I know there is info in the archives, but I have not seen anything recently.  I really need an honest answer in regard to pay scale and flexibility with scheduling.  Any help appreciated!! TIA ...

Gulf Coast
Mar 25, 2010

Has anyone tested with them? Here's their testing process if you're interested......it's a hoot! I got a Word document which asked me to supply the correct spellings. The auto-correct feature already did this for me when I opened the document, so that was a no-brainer. There were questions in which I had to choose the correct way to word a paragraph, etc. There was one that was especially troubling to me, it required me to choose the correct paragraph and it listed several ...

Is Gulf Coast In Business Any More?
Mar 09, 2014

n/m ...

Does Anyone Still Work For GCT? Gulf Coast?
Aug 26, 2014

Just curious if they are still open? ...

Has Anyone Heard Back From Gulf Coast Yet?
Oct 06, 2011

I was wondering if anyone who had recently applied to Gulf Coast Transcription had heard back yet.  I see they have a new ad on another job site.  I applied last week but haven't heard anything yet.  I got error message when I submitted my application, but the site said not to worry about it.  Anyway, just getting anxious.  Thanks! ...

Gulf Coast GCT, This Is My First Year Working There And
Jun 04, 2013

have heard it gets slow during the summer, particularly July-August, but this slow?  I love it there, I really really do.  I read, below, about people who said just get used to the slow down and I am trying, but I am not evening making minimum.   It all seemed to happen after the computers were switched over or whatever it was mid-May with lots of work and now barely any.  I need reassurance that it always is this slow and will pick up in the autumn.  In the meanti ...

Has Anyone Applied To The Gulf Coast Ad From A Couple Of Weeks Ago? Sm
Dec 04, 2012

How is the platform?  What is the pay range?  How flexible are the hours?  TIA ...

Gulft Coast Transcription Anyone?
Mar 10, 2010

Oops! i posted on main board, so I'll repost here.  Good company to work for? How much ESL?  Any info appreciated. ...

Anyone Nearing Retirement At MQ
Jan 05, 2010

Just wondering if they offer a retirement packet.  ...

Nearing The Quarter's End = More Post-audit Reviews!
Mar 17, 2014

I really hate to add to the conspiracy theories (as I generally just don't believe them), but I can't help but add to this one! I can definitely tell that the quarter is almost up because I've started receiving more and more post-audit reviews, and of course they are just enough to knock my out of the running for bonus, despite having a near 100% score of QC1 and post-audits earlier in the month.  Any post-audit QA's out there want to comment on this?  It's a ...

BP Will Compensate Gulf Workers But
Jun 16, 2010

for our government happily supporting offshoring? ...

Out Of Work!! SA5 West Coast
Jan 18, 2010

Nothing in our BOB, trying to help others, but work is low too.  I just found out something too!!!  I had a primary account for years and the account felt like family to me.  Knew all the doctors.  Yes, I was blessed to have this account.  Then about a year ago, I was told this account was being done by their own doctors. (Cannot remember the exact name it is called).   A lot of Providence Cinics and hospitals use it.  When  you go in for a clinic visit, a ...

InfAny Info On Net Med Transcription, All-Write Transcription Or FutureNet Technologies?
Jun 11, 2010

I would appreciate any input anyone may have on these 3 companies. I have tried to find out about them through their local BBB, but only Net Med Transcription has anything on it. Thanks. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Any Advice On Craft Transcription Or SOAP Transcription??
May 30, 2014

Hi!   Anyone heard of or work for Craft Transcription or SOAP Transcription??? I have a interview today with SOAP. Any information is appreciated. ...

United Transcription Or Alpha Transcription
Sep 14, 2010

Just trying to get info on both companies.  Don't see much when I search.  Anyone work for either of these and can give me more info would be appreaciated.  ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...