A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

After seeing the ad this morning for the IC and they - sm

Posted: Jan 02, 2012

only want to pay 8 cpl on top of requiring a foot pedal and specific software, has anyone ever emailed these places to tell them how absolutely ridiculous it is for them to expect us to buy a footpedal and specific software when the pay is low?  Just curious.

IC - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
When are people like you going to realize that 8 cents per line is the going rate and in order for the work to stay here in the United States, we are going to have to deal with it. Most companies require you to have the software. When you call for a plumber, do you ask who charges the most expensive rate and hire them or do you look for the cheapest possible plumber and do you supply the tools that the plumber needs to do the work because you hired the one with the lowest bid? Seriously, get over it. It's a sign of the times. I, myself, do very well with 8 cents per line and if you can't hack it and make a decent hourly rate at 8 cents per line then you need to find a different profession.

8 might be the *going* rate but - Beentheredonethat

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm IC and I make more than 8 cents...believe 8 cents is *decent* but not good. I don't have to provide my own software, don't believe its true that *most* require you to have it; depends on the company and how much an MT is willing to work for. Companies who offer 6-7 cents a line, now THAT'S the ones we should boycott.

8 cpl and IC - typrina

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, definitely boycott when they pay less than 8 cpl for IC in my opinion. I started out working at home almost 8 years ago at 8 cpl and haven't made bad money. Anything less than that, I would say forget it.
8 cpl - typrina
[ In Reply To ..]
sorry it was 6 years ago I started working from home at 8 cpl. I just heard this morning from what is reported to be a decent company wanting to start out at only 7 cpl. I don't believe I would want to do this, although they indicate it will go up, slowly though I am sure. I currently make 9 cpl, took me a year after working from home to get to that. I never ask for a raise anymore as I know, well, just forget it with all the EMR, voice recognition and cheap line rates anymore.

And when are "people like you" going to grow up - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and realize THAT is why the rates are so low???

Rates are low because - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
other countries are stealing our jobs and so is technology. Between voice recognition and EPIC, be glad there are still jobs out there!! Companies can get away with paying 6 and 7 cents per line and are doing so. Offering 8 cents per line is pretty darn good when others are offering lower. I have yet to see a company offer more than 8 cents per line.
have yet to see a company offer more than 8 cents, really? - Beentheredonethat
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been with 3 different companies in 3 years and they ALL offered more than 8 cents as an IC. The company I'm currently with offers production incentives up to 10 cpl for 6500+ lines a week. At 5000+ lines a week it's 9.3 cpl. Some (good) companies do still consider skill and experience something to pay a little more for.
wages and wages - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
8 cpl as an IC is better, IMO, than 9 cpl as an employee given the tax situation. So many people cry because you have to "pay" your own taxes, when the reality is you are paying 7% for SS. The rest of the taxes you'd pay anyway. Most good MTs can make a decent living off of 8 cpl.

Personally, I work for 2 companies and both pay me greater than 8 cpl (including speech rec). So there *ARE* companies that pay for a talented MT and value those MTs.

But if I were an MT looking for a job, and found a decent job (as in decent work) and was offered 8 cpl, I'd likely take it. And yes, I agree this is part of the problem, that people are willing to work for less in order to be working, but the REALITY (v IDEALISM) is if you want to eat, you have to work. Unless every MT in the country (and that is a much larger audience than will ever be on these pages) says no, I know I can be readily replaced by technology as not, so I'll watch my own bank account first. My days of wanting to change the world have passed.
If you can't make some money with 8 cpl, you may be in the wrong business - Experienced MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously it depends on the platform and the quality of the dictation, but 8 cpl sounds pretty good these days when jobs are scarce. If you can do better than that, fine, but I wouldn't scoff at 8 cpl.

Yeah but the plumber is paid a fair wage for his/her skills. - Voice of Reason

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, not the MT anymore. When will YOU learn that this dumbing down of the MT profession is only going to backfire. I pointed out some nonsense the EMR tech typed in my very important medical history in the dentist's office the other day and she said, "Oh, I always proofread later and correct things." Sure you do. Just like the doctors do. Which is why you see so much crap (sorry for the vulgar word there! LOL.) in signed patient records these days.

I'd hate to think what kind of work a plumber who was forced to work for the 'going rate' as we are would do on my plumbing. It's already rickety enough.

going rate - typrina

[ In Reply To ..]
well, I don't think men have to worry about a dumbing down of a lot of their professions like women do. Women have come a long way, but still our professions I feel are considered more lowly, particularly MT. Yes, if we continue to allow our rates to go down and accept lower rates that require us to really work harder for less money this is exactly what we will continue to receive. All of this really is not in the best interest of the patient or the healthcare field in general, as far as accuracy is concerned for sure.

I think it's possible to even do well on 7 cpl if you are good enough - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course I would rather have more, but it's possible. You have to use expander programs and have good equipment and a workable platform.

IC status - devilsadvocate

[ In Reply To ..]
I could be wrong on this, but IC stands for independent contractor, so to ask them to provide their own foot pedal would fall under the INDEPENDENT part of the IC status. It is a tax write off if you purchase your own foot pedal. I have 3 different foot pedals (yes, I work IC) and I bought them all - I believe it makes me more marketable and I am also able to then get a leg up on someone who may not own the correct foot pedal but wants the same job I do. Also, I have heard the radiology reports go fast (though not speaking from experience) so at $0.08 cpl, you could really crank out the work.

I understand that people want to make as much money as possible, as money makes the world go round, but I do fairly well at $0.08 cpl (just got a raise to $0.09 cpl) by cranking out as much work as I can. It really amazes me the number of people I see on these boards complaining about $0.08 cpl beig ridiculous and blah, blah, blah..... but if it's a choice of $0.08 cpl or the welfare line, then sign me up for the appalling rate. I know if I work hard (a concept also lost on some), I can pay my bills and be able to provide for my kids and that's important to me.

not saying to turn it down but - Beentheredonethat

[ In Reply To ..]
An an IC foot pedal and keyboard yes I provide for myself but not software.To insist that 8 cents is the best someone can get or hope for is defeating.

software - devilsadvocate

[ In Reply To ..]
the only software that ad mentioned was Microsoft Word 2003/2007. I don't think that is unreasonable to request that you have either.
about that required software.... - NocturnalHooter
[ In Reply To ..]
It is obsolete. I just had to buy another Office program for a new computer, and the only thing I could get was Office 2010.

One of my biggest gripes with the MT industry is that the MTSOs absolutely refuse to move forward with the software advancements of the IT industry, OR to provide their own software. My current employer uses a proprietary program AND provides it at no charge. If they were to ask me to provide my own software, I would be appalled if they wanted me to go buy a program that was already 2-3 upgrades into obsolescence (yup, there that NocturnalHooter goes making up her own words again, haha!).
They aren't asking - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
The ad is telling you that they only accept certain software, not that you have to go buy it. If you don't own the software, don't apply...simple as that!
That's just bad business practice on their part then (sm) - NocturnalHooter
[ In Reply To ..]
If they want employees (oops, I meant Independent Contractors) who only use obsolete software and foot pedals that very few manufacturers produce, rather than employees (er., I think that plumber analogy would work well here too) who are up to date on the latest equipment, software, and methods... Then they're quite welcome to drastically narrow their hiring pool so that they only interview the obsolete and the failing...

Sorry for my tone here. I'm feeling snarky today. :)
its the hopstals, facilities that use the older software and THAT is why we - need it in order to do their work - and
[ In Reply To ..]
it has been this way all aloing and is not going to change.

Get the new stuff, I'll get the job with my lil ol' Word version 2003. the facilities will hang on the extra 12 or so years until the software is no longer supporteed....its a money tug-of-war with microsoft.
ummm....no..... - NocturnalHooter
[ In Reply To ..]
Who Moved My Cheese?

I moved it... into a different career...

One that cannot be offshored or outsourced.

One that requires a person to show up "in person" to do the tasks necessary.

I'm leaving the MT field within the next 1 to 2 years.

luvyabye! :)
generalize much? - devilsadvocate
[ In Reply To ..]
NocturalHooter stated: "Then they're quite welcome to drastically narrow their hiring pool so that they only interview the obsolete and the failing..."

So by that, what you are saying is that because I own Word 2003, 2007 AND 2010 that I am obsolete and failing? Generalize much? As someone else posted, the HOSPITALS are using this software/equipment, so if we want to remain in this industry, which obviously you don't, so I don't see why you care, then we have to use what they require. I agree with the other poster who said if you don't have the equipment/software and don't want to buy it, then don't apply, it's that simple.

Going rate - longtimemt

[ In Reply To ..]
I was one who got terminated at WM a year ago with over 20 years experience and believe me when I tell you that 8 cpl is the going rate. I was offered at least 15 different jobs before finding the one I currently have and they were all 8 cpl or less. I was told on many occasions that everyone was paid the same, regardless of experience or we have to compete with other companies and VR is taking over, I think 8 cpl is much better than the 3-4 being offered for VR. I jumped all over the place for a year and ended up making 8.5 for IC but there is incentive so I have the capability to increase that. I made more in 1980 on a typewriter than I can make on VR at 3 cpl, which I did not accept. I am seeing more and more IC positions being advertised, which means these companies are also not having to pay benefits but are paying less per line but I also see a lot of jobs which are not true IC according to IRS guidelines. I remember when IC actually paid a couple cpl more than employee because they did not have to pay benefits. After the last 16 months I am happy to have a job that at least pays my bills, even if it is 4 cpl less than I was making when I got laid off. In my opinion the biggest problem is not the competition between MTSOs for business or the VR, it is all the middlemen between the MT, who actually generates the income and the business owners, team leads, regional leads, national leads, QA, QA mentor, QA supervisor, trainers, and then we MTs are at the bottom unfortunately and get paid whatever might be left over. Again, I am not bashing being an MT, I am just frustrated at the way the business has gone in the last 10 years but again, am happy to at least be able to pay my bills another 5-6 years when I can maybe draw social security. I consider myself fortunate to be employed in this economy.

They need to furnish the foot pedal and software regardless - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nothing wrong with 8 cpl, but they need to be furnishing any hardware or software that is required.

I actually look at it like, if they are looking for ICs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
then that means I work when I can/want and furnish all necessary equipment. But I also expect a decent pay rate!

not for IC status they don't - say what

[ In Reply To ..]
An IC should be providing their own work tools.

Exactly! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
;

Similar Messages:

NJA - Anyone Else This Morning????
Dec 01, 2009

x ...

Always NJA In Morning
Jan 30, 2010

I'm getting so tired of having a report or two, then NJA, then while waiting another report comes, then NJA, etc., etc., early in my shift.  Sure, we have been encouraged to just check back later on and work then.  I really don't know why they suggest or even allow this to happen.  When you log on during another shift, all you're doing is taking work from those folks who normall work then.  They in turn are then told to work later too and this cycle of NJA just ...

NJA This Morning Anyone?
Jun 17, 2010

Already, and on a Thursday!  Northeast ...

No Work This Morning -- Again.
Nov 16, 2009

No work again.  How many other people are OUT of work??? I hope no one. ...

Is There Anyone Actually Working This Morning?
Nov 27, 2009

I think I have not worked on a Friday morning, the day after Thanksgiving, for the last 4 years because of NO JOBS AVAILABLE. ...

No Jobs Available This Morning
Jan 01, 2010

It was slow last night too.  I had to work back to back for the holiday with no holiday pay late last night while others were celebrating around the neighborhood.  Then at midnight when I got off work, it was just in time to see all the fireworks go off in the neighborhood. I wonder if no jobs available will be all day long!!! ...

My DD Is In The Bank This Morning
Jan 11, 2010

nm ...

UGH... This Is A 4 Tums Morning
Apr 03, 2010

I am sick to death of typing on accounts not in my BOB!  This is the 4th one already and I am only an hour into my shift. There are no samples in the repositry, there are no jobs that come up under the dictator look up feature... I keep stuffing down the Tums, wondering why in the heck I was forced to do weekend hours when there is no work in my accounts on the weekend. I HATE THIS.  How do you all do it?  Who put me in this "helper pool" in the first place? ...

Where Is Everyone This Morning? I Did Not Get My Check. Sm
May 10, 2010

Well, to the poster below in ESL garbage land, first let me say.  I too was in that same place 2 weeks ago.  An addition to my regular account, but it was all I was getting and NOT getting my OP notes at all.   The reports were not more than 20 lines usually, but I spent much, much time in trying to decipher and be FTR.  My CCM was very good about it, and told me it would be taken off and I would not have to do that account any longer.   Of course, I wish I had ...

No Jobs Available In My BOB For This Morning.
May 17, 2010

x ...

Anybody Having Problems With DQS This Morning? - Nm
Jun 28, 2010

xx ...

Glorious Morning
Jun 09, 2010

Up too late last night fighting with the husband, get up this morning draaaaagging.  Find I have no Internet or phone.  Call the cable people.  Finally get signed on and lo and behold NO JOBS AVAILABLE.  My calendar must be wrong.  This must be Friday the 13th. ...

Responded To A Job Ad On Here This Morning But....
Aug 30, 2010

Job ad disappeared from this site...any idea why that would be??  ...

Only 10:30 AM, Monday Morning, And Already I Could Use A (sm)
Nov 01, 2010

STIFF drink after finishing an operative report on an AMERICAN doctor that I could barely understand because he apparently thinks that he is the roadrunner and wants to see how fast he can dictate.  WHEW, hopefully the day will get better??? ...

So I Took The Test This Morning For TCI
Nov 23, 2010

Needless to say, I will not be working for them.  When I come across doctors who actually care to slow down and speak clearly, that will be the right company for me.  I swear I understood about every fifth word these awful dictators said.  And they were not ESL!!  Very irritating! ...

Still Down As Of 10:30 This Morning Pacific !
Sep 27, 2011

It's now a little after 2 p.m. and still no go - ...

Another Morning At TransTech
Jan 04, 2012

Another morning at TransTech and another morning with no work on 3 accounts.  Totally dry for the past 1-1/2 hours.  Zilch.  Nature of the beast, I guess.  In the meantime, my resume is done and sent.  Wish me luck! ...

Can't Get Into UltiPro This Morning
Apr 18, 2012

Ugh, I can't get into UltiPro this morning.  First it told me my password was expired so I changed it.  Then it told me my account is inactive.  There's no support number that I can find to get help on this.  Does anyone have any ideas?  TIA ...

Oh Me, Got A Gum Smacker This Morning. Do These
Apr 17, 2012

numbskulls not realize there is a human being on the end of the dictating apparatus they are using.  It is absolutely disgusting, nauseating, rude and totally unprofessional.  If a physician went into a room to examine a patient smacking gum, it would be deemed totally unacceptable.  The same thing with carrying on side conversations, laughing, eating, burping, snorting, harking, spitting, coughing, et cetera.  They would NOT be in business very long.  Dictating that med ...

DQS Acting Up Again This Morning!!!
Jul 11, 2012

ARRRGGG! ...

DQS Is Very Very Slow This Morning.
Aug 02, 2012

What is going on with this system this morning.  It is barely moving. ...

I Have An Interview This Morning. I'm Not Sure I
Oct 12, 2012

I've read through these posts and are Nuance and Transcend separate but the same?  What side is better and how do you know what one to ask for?  Is it just the platform that is different?  Any info appreciated. ...

Thurs 12/6-Morning-
Dec 06, 2012

Thursday 12/6.  Morning.   Anyone having trouble with jobs downloading, audio downloading, jobs uploading, and/or doing ADT searches or physician searches? ...

Anyone Else Low On Work This Morning?
Dec 11, 2012

1 job so far... ...

Not Much Work This Morning
Jan 22, 2013

I don't want to give a status update because I was told the other day I was "looking at it wrong" which I don't think I was, but let me just say, there's not much work at home or abroad. ...

A Productive Morning :)
Apr 05, 2013

After working a half hour out of 2 hours of my shift, I am now sitting on the couch with my puppy leaving messages for TAA office, filing for unemployment and now talking with unemployment office while they figure out how the TAA petition works. I agree with the others who have said please call TAA.  He did not even want to know the details.  They already know what this company is doing.   ...

Friday Morning, Once Again Nja
Apr 19, 2013

My paycheck today was a whopping $40.00.  Nja again today.  ...

Just A Little LOL For Your Sunday Morning...
Apr 28, 2013

Had An Interview This Morning To Get Out Of MT
Aug 14, 2013

I haven't went to a formal interview in YEARS, but she kept saying how great my resume looked and she said a few times "WHEN you work here" but she would slip in "If you should be hired" sometimes.  She even asked me if I wanted to see "my" office and she seemed excited to show me and she gave me a tour of the entire facility.  That sounds promising, right?  I feel like I'm right on the edge of being able to get out of this horrid nightmare with not being able to pay my ...

NJA First Thing This Morning
Aug 20, 2014